5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect for a moved-up PS3 slim
I preordered this stand because it seemed like the best option available for me. My issue is I've got two dualshocks, two move and two navigation controllers, plus an eye camera...but only two USB ports on my PS3 slim.

Published on October 24, 2010 by Sterling Steel

3.0 out of 5 stars Potential to be great product but not there yet
Published on December 12, 2010 by Amazon Customer

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost perfect for a moved-up PS3 slim, October 24, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Move Power Stand (Video Game)

This powered stand (it has it's own AC adapter) allows me to charge all 6 controllers at the same time. The charging docks use colored LED lights to inform you of each controller's status. Red means charging, alternating red/blue indicates it's 95% done, and blue lets you know it's 100%. There are three pairs of docks, each specifically designed to fit one of the three types of controllers. This means you can't charge more than two dualshocks in the docks at the same time, for example, though. On the other hand, while two controllers charge in the docks, you could attach 5 more via USB.

Yep, this stand also adds a net 3 additional USB ports to a PS3 system. The stand has 4 USB ports on the bottom right side, and there's a short cable which comes out of the bottom front of the stand and plugs into one of the PS3 console's two USB ports. So, you end up with a total of 5 usable USB ports -- 4 on the stand, and one on the PS3.

I'll keep my eye camera plugged in all the time and still have 4 other ports free for use. For example, I can plug in all the Guitar Hero instruments when I want, and not have to unplug the eye and/or not be able to charge my controllers. One can also use these ports to charge other USB devices, like cell phones, MP3 players, and bluetooth headset. The instructions specifically state, however, the USB ports will NOT charge Apple products, like iPod and iPhone.

I'd knock this product down half a star, if I could, because the charging docks are not "smart;" you can't store controllers in the docks indefinitely. This is why I said "almost perfect" in the review's title. The user manual says you should remove controllers after they are fully charged. It also states you should power off the stand when not in use (there's an on/off buttom on the front of the stand, but the USB ports are always active). I have to assume the controllers' batteries will get damaged if you leave them in the charging docks too long. I sure would be happy if that weren't the case, though.

One other minor quibble is that controllers don't exactly slide right in to the docks -- you usually have to wiggle 'em around a bit to get them to properly align with the mini-USB plug on the controller port.

Because the stand requires the PS3 console be vertical, I've opened up some room on the top shelf of my home theater component rack. Much of this extra room gets used up, though, because the fully charged controllers can't stay in the stand's docks all the time. If I were able to keep all the controllers docked up, and not have to bother powering down the stand when not charging, this product would indeed be perfect, IMHO.

Overall, though, the flexibility in charging lots of gear at the same time, plus adding three more USB ports to the console, make this stand a really handy upgrade for someone with a PS3 slim and new move controllers (the stand's not compatible with the old PS3 fat consoles, btw). I haven't found a better option, and, for what you get, the stand's a decent value.

5.0 out of 5 stars Finally, someone is thinking., October 23, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Move Power Stand (Video Game)
When I received my Pre-Ordered PS3 MOVE Power Stand I was immediately impressed. The design and functionality is perfect for my needs.

My needs were to charge multiple DUALSHOCK controllers, 2 MOVE "Wands", and a MOVE Navigation controller... while also keeping the PS3 SLIMs USB slots free.

This device does all of this perfectly.

A few notible facts to consider:

1. The A/C adapter has a semi-large size at the plug (about 3"x2"x1"). This made life a bit painful when plugging it into the power strip.
2. This charges 2 MOVE "wands" & 2 MOVE Nav controllers. These items are not the same size so the charging slots are specific to the controller type.
3. You CAN charge the MOVE controllers with the lanyard attached but NOT with a silicon "skin".
4. This holds the SLIM loosely (nothing "snaps" into place) but there is NO way your PS3 falls over unless your house flips upside down.

When originally looking for a charging station, I read the reviews from other dreamGEAR products. I was a bit skeptical after reading of many issues with a lack of power supply charging ability and durability. And since dreamGEAR only offers a 120-day warranty, I am still skeptical but very hopeful. I will update if this fails.

3.0 out of 5 stars Potential to be great product but not there yet, December 12, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 Move Power Stand (Video Game)
I ordered this product from convenience point of view so keep this in mind when reading this review. The charger has everything that one could desire: single stand that houses PS3, charge plugs for two controllers of every type, USB port extension, and stand alone power operation. But I found the following inconveniences with almost all of these features that made me return it and not worth dealing with it:

- The stand does not lay flat so one would have to do tinker with it to make it stay level;
- The charger uses USB plugs for the move controllers and not the contacts. This can induce unnecessary wear and tear and you have to spend time aligning the controllers so that they fit into the charges. Sometimes this goes quickly and sometimes it does not. From convenience point of view, I don't want to deal with it when I can simply slide it in with other chargers;
- My understanding is that the charger does not shut off automatically when the controller is fully charged but only provides an indication of. If that is true, this also can put unnecessary wear and tear onto your controller so one has to check on the charge progress.

These inconveniences combined with two bad units that I received made me give up on this products at this time and go with Sony's move charger which presents to me less problems than this one. I still believe that the idea behind it is great and if the improvements in the design are made, I will consider it in the future.

5.0 out of 5 stars why wouldnt you buy it?, November 29, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Move Power Stand (Video Game)
this product is perfect and there are no problems with it what so ever. it charges 2 controllers, 2 move controllers, and 2 navigation controllers! oh and did i forget to mention it includes 4 extra usb ports?! not to mention that it is a vertical stand!! this product is many things. of course it is a universal charger for all your ps3 accessories but it also makes your ps3 look amazing cool! aside from its charging abilities, this power stand is also a very nice storage!!! i dont have much room where my ps3 is located so i had to put my controllers on top of the console and as you know the rounded top of the ps3 would cause my controllers to slide right off the table. so, this product can hold and organize all your controllers in a very cool and convenient way.

Key things to be aware of:

1. this product only works for the ps3 slim and not the original model

2. unfortunately this product does not have smart chargers meaning that if you leave your controllers in it with the power still on, it will over charge your controllers and shorten the life of their batteries.(this can be solved by just hitting the power switch on the front and that will stop the charging)

3. the ports for the move controllers are not compatible with each other meaning that you cant charge 4 navigation controllers or 4 move controllers. the ports are different sizes only allowing 2 of each kind!

All in all this product is very satisfying. the price is unbelievable too. sony released its own 2 port charger that only charges 1 of each controller for 30 bucks. for the same price, buy this product with double that of sony's products, an extra 2 controller chargers, a usb hub(4 additional ports), and a vertical stand. why wouldnt you buy this? all of its features work perfectly. i give it a perfect score!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice! A must buy for PS3 slim., December 1, 2010
Powie (Aurora, CO United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PS3 Move Power Stand (Video Game)
Well after reading a few reviews on here, all of them mostly good. I decided to take a chance and order it, and am so glad I did. First off the PS3 Slim fits pretty snug inside of it, and so far the stand seems well built. (will update this review if any ports stop charging etc). But so far I am completely happy with it. So in addition to the 6 built in charging ports, I can now keep my Sony BT headset, external HDD, and PS Eye cam hooked up all the time, and still have 2 ports free for Rock Band 2 peripherals. The addition of 4 USB ports on this thing is such a life saver. I don't normally like keeping the PS3 vertical, it just doesn't look right, but the one negative is offset by being able to charge my 2 controllers, 2 Move controllers, and one Nav controller, and keeping everything else plugged in.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good Buy, October 31, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Move Power Stand (Video Game)
This is a good buy. The only problem I had is that it will only charge 2 motion controllers and 2 navigation controllers. I thought you could charge all 4 motion controllers because the holes are interchangeable (the same size) but I was wrong and should have read the reviews first. I didn't know the motion contollers and navigation controllers had different size bottoms. I still gave it 5 stars because it is a good product and I shouldn't fault the company for my mistake. It would have been nice if they did make the holes interchangeable though. It holds the PS3 slim nicely even though it doesn't snap in place but it doesn't have to because it is stable. It gives you 4 extra USB ports that does hook up to your PS3 but takes away 1 USB port on your PS3. Thats no problem because now you have 5 USB ports instead of 2. As you can see in the pictures it also charges 2 of the wireless shock controllers. Too bad they didn't make one of these that charges 4 of them too. It has a Red LED when Charging, Blinks Red and Blue when its 95% Charged, and turns Blue when done Charging. It looks good and smooth like its pictures on here.

4.0 out of 5 stars Does the job well, but with few frills, February 19, 2011
This review is from: PS3 Move Power Stand (Video Game)
This stand works fairly well. I have used it both holding the ps3 vertically and just plugged into the unit and in both cases it works great. The added functionality of the many usb ports works well if you want to have hard drives plugged in and charge you many controllers simultaneously. I have had this product for about 2 months and it is holding up. The only problem, which others have mentioned is that the dock itself isn't smart and won't automatically stop charging things when they are full, so you have to be mindful of that. Overall, for the price, it adds good functionality to the ps3.

3.0 out of 5 stars Its is ok..., December 24, 2010
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 Move Power Stand (Video Game)
I recently bought this PS3 move Power Stand and I think it could be better.

Pros:
It has four USB ports.
You can charge different types of controllers at the same time, but only two of each maximum.

Contras:
The A/C adapter is really large, so be prepare to have extra space on your surge protector/outlet.
It really looks cheap plastic.
There is no ON/OFF led indicator, which makes harder to identify when it is on.
The manufacturer recommends to remove the controllers after they are charged. So it is not a stand for controllers, it is a stand for PS3 and only a charger for controllers!

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, January 29, 2011
This review is from: PS3 Move Power Stand (Video Game)
It keeps my PS3, move wands and controllers off of the ground and out of the way as well as charges them.
The charging spots have lights around them to tell you the charging status, red is charging, blue is done charging. All of the lights except for one wand spot quit working three days after setting it up.

If you want a charging station for cheap this one might do the trick. If you want something that COMPLETELY functions you would probably want to go with something else.

---------------- UPDATE: 02/14/10 ----------------

This thing finally quit working completely. I do not recommend this product.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product! 3x USB ports (powered), and holds everything, February 6, 2012
This review is from: PS3 Move Power Stand (Video Game)
Up until last month, I had an original 60gb launch-model PS3. I used it primarily for gaming, but about 40% of its use was for media/blu-ray. It had a good run, but eventually succumbed to the dreaded YLOD. So I went out and got a new 320gb slim model PS3, and wouldn't you know it - aside from the fact that I lost 2 usb ports and the card reader (I used MS Pro-duo to watch stuff between the PS3 and PSP) the darn thing's USB ports don't put out enough power to run my external 2.5" HDD. So in searching for a powered USB hub, I came across this product. Like usual, I perused the reviews, and decided to get it. When it arrived, it was packaged box-in-a-box, so no damage there. Set it all up, plugged everything in, and viola! I have my HDD back! All in all, this is a pretty great product. The PS3 mounts very securely, and it holds all the controllers pretty good too. As a plus, the PS3 I bought came with the Move kit, and the Move and Navigation controllers fit really well into their slots, as do the Sixaxis controllers. Best of all, I now have 5 open USB ports. The stand comes with a usb cable that conveniently tucks away underneath it when not in use, but I leave it plugged in all the time to the PS3, and use the ports on the stand. PS3 Eye camera works well off of the stand's USB ports, no loss of functionality there. Even better - I plugged in my Logitech G27 into the stand's USB port, played a couple of hours of GT5, and all's good there too. It worked perfectly. The only minutely bad thing about the stand is the lack of a smart-charging system. If you leave it on, and leave your controller plugged into it's cradle, it'll constantly send charging power to it. How do you get around this? Well, once the light changes from red to blue (to indicate charging complete) you can remove your controller OR you can get off your lazy behind and just hit the power switch in front of the stand. So it's not really an issue. If you're too lazy to hit a switch, then you got a different set of problems altogether. I think the fact that you can charge your controllers without having to have the PS3 on overrides the aforementioned small negative trait. Overall this is an excellent product, and fits my needs. I recommend it.

PS3 Move Power Stand
PS3 Move Power Stand by DreamGEAR (PlayStation 3)
$39.99 $8.50