Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on October 19, 2010
Since I recently bought the PS3 Move peripherals, I decided to finally look into buying a controller charging dock.

This particular dock suits my needs for the following reasons:
- I have two Sixaxis contollers, two motion controllers, and one navigation controller (not planning on buying a second navigation controller anytime soon)
- I can keep my second motion controller plugged into one rear USB port, and my Bluetooth earpiece plugged into the other rear USB port.
- I can now use the PS3's two USB ports for the PS Eye and an external USB hard drive, and no longer have to plug/unplug USB cables to recharge various controllers or the earpiece.

Some of the minor problems I've encountered:
- There's a blue LED light on one of the long sides of the charging dock that is angled around 45* out... and can be a bit annoying depending on where you're sitting in relation to it.
- The Sixaxis controllers may take a moment or two of fumbling with before you line it up properly on the charger.

And just so everyone knows, it is true that you can't place a motion control where the navigation control is supposed to go.
55 comments| 104 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on November 15, 2010
I usually don't write reviews, but this time I strongly believe it deserve a strong review. I purchased the Quad Dock Pro from Amazon via DreamGear about 3 weeks ago. The first 2 weeks perfectly fine and charging. last week my controllers were dead for no reasons. I realized quickly that the unit was not charging. I did plug my controllers via USB to my PS3 to make sure it was not the controllers and it was fine and charging. The main light around the unit still works but the lights around the move controllers and the DualShock are not anymore. I called the company "got disconnected". I emailed them "No response". So I don't have much choices here. I will try a few time more to contact them. After a few days , customer service replied and sent a replacement for no charge. The replacement unit was perfectly fine, it has been a year now without problem.
22 comments| 99 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 24, 2010
This product works OK, but I have two complaints:
1) They should have designed it to allow more flexibility in what is plugged into each slot. The only options available as it is are exactly what you see in the picture. So those of us with two of the PS3 Move Controllers who don't want a Navigation controller have 3 slots filled and an extra empty slot we can't use while the 2nd Controller stands by waiting for its turn to get charged.
2) The slot for the Controller is not very easy to align, so you have to fumble around with it till it fits in finally. I've had 3 different people using it make the same comment, so I'm comforted somewhat that it's not just my lack of coordination.
Otherwise, it works for what it's made for so if you can get a good price for it, then it's worth having around for some extra charging options.
on January 18, 2012
It does what it says in that it can recharge 2 PS3 controllers, a Move Navigation controller and a PS3 Move controller. Unfortunately, you can't use the Navigation slot to charge a Move controller. The other thing is that I've only owned my dock for a week or so now and it's developed a high-pitched whine when it's plugged in. This leads me to believe that it is built cheaply and will most likely die soon.

I have my Amazon.com invoice but I don't have the product packaging so I'm not sure if DreamGear.net or the vendor will take it back via RMA. I didn't think the product would begin to crap out on me in under 2 weeks...

Save your money and buy a Sony PS3 docking station to charge up your controllers. Unless the vendor or DreamGear is willing to step up and ship me a new unit and I can ship my defective one back in the new unit's packaging, I am not impressed with this product.
on December 11, 2011
I should have gotten this sooner, it is a lot easier than constantly switching out which device is charging from the USB ports of the PS3, and now I don't have to leave the PS3 on when I'm not using it just to keep things charged.

When it is plugged in it has a very bright blue light glowing around the base of the device, I think it looks really cool, but it is very bright. When you plug in the controllers, the area around them glows red until they are done charging, then it switches to blue so that you know they are done. I was surprised by how fast they charged the controllers, even when they had zero power left.

I think the controllers fit in easily despite what others said, and it is nice and stable even when the controllers are in the base.

I would only change 2 things. Like many others I would prefer to have it charge 2 dual shocks and 2 moves, rather than a move and a navigation. Since it has the 2 USB ports in the back I just charge one of the move controllers from that, but I still wish it did the 2 moves because it would be a nice neat way to keep all the controllers in one place. I also wish it had an off switch for when it is done charging, I just unplug it, but an off switch would have been nice.

Since some people have had problems with this device lasting, I'll update this if I have any issues with it.

Update: 4/4/12 - I said I would update if I had any issues, but I thought it would be nice to let you know that the device is still working perfectly.

Update: 10/23/14 - Still works perfectly.
on April 21, 2011
If you are a mogwai or require darkness in your room, be aware of the very blue and very BRIGHT light that comes from this small device. Otherwise it works and works well.

The footprint is reasonably small for being able to charge 4 devices at once.

This is externally powered so you don't have to run the PS3 or take up one of its USB ports to charge your devices.

I've arranged it so that when I'm not charging, I unplug the power cable at the device and set it under the device to keep the lighting off when not in use.

I was also very happy with the pricepoint. I found many different charging options that cost more and provided a smaller or less desirable feature set.

A better fit when the controllers plug in and a better use and brightness of the charging lights are all that I can find to complain about. Highly recommend but with the above comments as an asterisk.
on July 20, 2013
This is a good charging dock. While I was satisfied with the charging time and the functionality of the product there were a couple of things that annoyed me about it.

PRO's
- Compact.
- Charges all four devices reasonably fast (2 - 4 hours)
- Inexpensive.

CON's
- My playstation is in my bedroom and the dull glow from the blue light illuminates the room at night. If you crave total darkness when you sleep (like me) it can be annoying.
- The charger eminates a low frequncy buzz when plugged in and is audible during the night which got annoying fast. I charge my controllers at night so I had to unplug the device and plug it elsewhere in the house so I could sleep peacefully without the light or the annoying buzz.

Good product but I gave it away to a buddy of mine as I couldn't put up with the light and the buzzing sound.
on October 24, 2012
... the PS3 Move Quad Dock Pro is still pretty slick. I love that the blue-led glow is uniformly lit throughout the entire unit and each controller's charge state is individually lit and turns from red to blue when fully charged.

Also, I know it wasn't intended but this dock was able to sniff out the knock-off PS3 controllers I had bought recently. Because the circuitry wasn't genuine, the charge indicator didn't light at all and turned straight to blue only when fully charged.
on September 16, 2012
Being a PS3 owner for a few years now, I managed to accumulate several controllers. While I have one of the first versions of the PS3 (with has four [4] USB ports) and a USB hub generally works, thus allowing multiple devices to charge at once, the hassle of needing to leave your system on in order to charge controllers is annoying, at best. It is downright cumbersome and its worst.

A few years ago I purchased a Quad Dock for the Six-Axis controllers only. I was impressed with the quality of the item as well as the price; as always something similar directly from Sony was neither available nor priced reasonably. The Quad Dock worked great up until I lost the AC adapter.

Since that first docking station, I got a Playstation Move controller. Having two cats (one being a kitten), using the USB wires to charge the devices acted as a magnet for cat abuse. In addition having wires everywhere was chaotic and cluttered. I yearned for a solution to this problem.

Finally I went to Amazon and hunted for a new charging dock, remembering the original dreamGEAR Quad Dock from a few years ago. To my delight there was this model, the PS3 Move Quad Dock Pro. It fits the bill perfectly.

Construction

The Move Quad Dock Pro (henceforth notated as MQDP) is made of a moderately-weighted, rectangular base unit (plastic) and includes an AC adapter. The adapter has a jack which plugs into the rear of the base. When the adapter is plugged in and the unit has power (there is no power button; it is functional with simply an electrical outlet) a blue light emanates from the base of the unit. As a comparison, it looks like the underbody blue fog lights that people sometimes add to their vehicles.

There are four (4) charging slots and two (2) extra USB ports, resulting in six available charging options. The MQDP is designed for up to two (2) Six Axis controllers, one Move Navigation Controller, and one Move Motion Controller. Do to the circumference differences with the Move and Navigation controllers, the circular charging docks are not interchangeable.

The dock is designed so the Six Axis controllers sit upside-down when plugged into a charging cradle. The Move "wands" stand upright. The spare USB ports are available on the back of the unit; I have used them to charge my cell phone and a third Move Motion controller.

Overall, the construction is durable and looks nice. Being able to charge up to six devices simultaneously is convenient.

Use

As mentioned above, the MQDP is a durable unit that is powered by an AC adapter. The immediate perk to this is not having to leave your PS3 on in "stand-by" (when the power light is red but the unit is not actually using software nor loading a game/movie). This also eliminates having USB hubs and charging cords all over the place, cluttering up the area.

Using the device is simple; with the Six Axis controllers simply turn them upside down and plug the male USB receiver into the female USB port on the controller. This unit accepts both the original Six Axis and the newer Six Axis/DualShock controllers. Two can be charged at the same time. The last two cradling docks on the MQDP fit the Move Navigation and the Move Motion Controllers, respectively. The male USB receiver plugs into the base female USB port on the controllers. This results in the Navigation and Motion wands standing upright. The only "difficulty" with docking the units is that it can be a little tricky lining up the base with the controller(s). After the first few times it will become second-nature.

Regardless of which of the first four ports that you use, each docking port is rimmed by the same light as the base of the unit. If the item is charging the light is red; once it is fully charged the light changes to blue. This is very convenient; otherwise the only way to know if your controller is fully charged is by turning on the PS3 to check the battery life. The lights on the MQDP are bright; in a darkened room they can almost serve as a nightlight.

Note: there is no light for the two (2) extra USB ports on the rear of the device. With these, you will need to either pop a controller onto the main docks and/or check your device to see the charge level(s).

Finally, MQDP is a great way to store your controllers. The unit will not "overcharge" your devices; in addition it looks rather snazzy and sits nicely next to your PS3.

Overall

This is a must-have unit for your PS3. The freedom of not having to keep your PS3 turned on nor having wires exposed is great. The lighting signals to alert you to whether or not the controllers are charged is nifty, as well. At $20 (or thereabouts), you really cannot go wrong with this purchase.

The only real complaint that I have is you can only charge one set of motion controllers, that is, one Move Motion and one Move Navigation wand. While you can use the spare USB ports on the back to charge two more, it kid of defeats the purpose of the unit by having more wires dangling from the base to charge your controller(s). That being said, if you own more than one set of motion controllers, dreamGEAR does sell a dock specifically designed to charge two sets.

All-in-all, I am very happy with this purchase. It is well-made and looks great next to my PS3. Having my controllers charged and waiting for me without having ugly wires cluttering my shelf is wonderful. The PS3 Move Quad Dock Pro is, quite simply, a must-have for any Playstation aficianado with more than one controller.
on June 4, 2013