Published on September 28, 2011 by D. Marvin

2.0 out of 5 stars decent for the price
I bought this wheel because:

a.) it was cheap
b.) being in the end of ps3 era I didn't want to spend 250+ on an obsolete wheel and thought this would hold me over until a nice next-gen ps3/ps4 compatible wheel is released

Published 9 months ago by Chris T.

5.0 out of 5 stars Is HORI a trustyworthy manufacturer? Certainly looks that way!, September 28, 2011
D. Marvin (Council Bluffs, IA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I didn't know what to expect from a lower-priced racing wheel for the PS3 (I've played with one of the wheels that cost in the triple figures at a friend's house and must say that they're really cool and add a lot to racing gameplay). What I was happy about was that this is officially licensed through SCEA as an Official accessory for the PS3. That alone let me know this wouldn't be a disastrous product. Perhaps Sony's involvement in officially licensing this product for their system had some effect on putting a reasonable pricetag on this product because, honestly, the dropoff from higher-priced wheels is not terribly noticeable and certainly should NOT be a dealbreaker.

The one qualm is you really need to make sure you've got the suction cups stuck down as tight as they will go. I've heard complaints that the steering and braking (the unit comes with a separate pedal for that by the way, along with an accelerator pedal) can be a little sensitive but that's essentially due to the game-play designs of the various games which are compatible with this. They are trying to accurately replicate high-speed car handling and driving conditions, hence it will require skill to master your driving techniques. Overall, I have no major complaints and couldn't be happier with owning this product. I can honestly say I do not feel the need to upgrade to a higher-priced racing wheel. Probably only the most hardened racing game enthusiast would pass on this product in favor of one that costs twice as much.

5.0 out of 5 stars For what is meant, it's a great product, December 25, 2012
Carlos Gustavo "Avilés" (RHODE ISLAND, UNITED STATES) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PS3 Racing Wheel Controller (Video Game)
Obviously this is an affordable wheel and you can't expect what you are going to get with a more expensive wheel like the G27 or the G25 in terms of size and pedals, but in terms of being able to have fun with it making your expectations realistic about a gaming wheel, this product meets all the expectations.

I bought it for a couple things. At the time I never had tried a gaming wheel before and i wanted to know what a wheel feels like for gaming, so i was looking for something not to expensive in case it wasn't all that.

Another reason why I got it is because it was licenced by Sony and I trusted it was going to work well with GT5, I had been playing with my regular control and I wanted to amp up my experience since the game is realistic on its own.

I was very skeptical and with very low expectations because before buying anything I look for video reviews on YouTube, I saw a guy reviewing it with GT5 and I noticed that when the guy on the game moved the arms, it was delayed from when the actual player moved the wheel.

This was going to really dissapoint me because you want the wheel to move at the same time as the graphs do, but even then I still wanted to have it, the price felt right and I went ahead and get it.

The delivery was very fast and better than I thought, I opened it immediately as I was very excited waiting for it. I was surprised that the quality of the material of the wheel was very good. The size was small, but I was expecting worse, it actually came a lot better than I thought. It's a very good looking wheel, it even has the PlayStation logo on it making it look official..

The pedals are plastic, very gaming like pedals, just enough to have fun with them, but for the price I was happy that it even came with pedals at all. It's a nice thing to have.

I put it on right away and to my surprise the wheel is very accurate, I don't know what weird settings had the guy on YouTube but the wheel responds perfectly and very realistic with GT5, it has the exact same timing as the driver on the graphs do, and that alone made me completely satisfied.

I can even go further and say that driving GT5 with this thing is way easier than with the controller, as soon as I started playing it I already had better results than with the regular PS3 controller. In fact I got gold in international licences that with the regular control I was not able to get.

Another great thing about it is that it comes with vibration just like the PS3 controller has, in some reviews it said that it didn't have this feature, but it does and it works well because it follows the same timing as the PS3 one gives you. It's a nice thing to have on the wheel.

The setting are easy to set up on the game, in fact they come already automatically set up for GT5, and you can still change them as this works just like the regular controller.

It comes with paddle shifters, so you can have fun playing manual driving with this as well, many of the nice cars on GT5 use paddle shifters in real life, so having a stick it's not necessary for those, but paddle shifters are, and this wheel has them, they feel good enough.

It comes with succion cups to keep it still on a glass coffee table, it is the only thing that provides to keep it still, so if you want to keep it still on something other than glass you will have to come up with your own solution. I do have a glass coffee table so this was not a problem for me, if I wet the cups it keeps it firm enough.

What I do is I lift my coffee table with two tall chairs one on each side, plus milk cans and it stays on the perfect height of a real car, then I put the pedals against the TV stand so they don't move forward and the gaming experience is very good, quite realistic if you ask me, considering what I'm working with. I have a big HDTV Bravia so it looks nice.

The pedals are very small so you will have to play with your socks, because with shoes you won't be able to respond well to the driving, but they came already programmed well for the brake and the gas so you don't have to worry about that.

In order for the wheel to be recognized you have to plug it to the PS3 before your turn on the console, otherwise it won't read it, also it doesn't come with connections for the PS2 which has a lot of good car games, and I think that's the only downside of it.

But overall with all the good things about it I mentioned this wheel meets the expectations of fun good playing and very accurate. With a fair price this wheel does deserve 5 stars and I recommend it to all those that want to start to enjoy your car games already, specially GT5, while you save to upgrade to something like the PlaySeat and the G27. Why wait when you can already start having fun with it?

2.0 out of 5 stars decent for the price, March 16, 2014
I bought this wheel because:

a.) it was cheap

However I was very wrong, playing this wheel only made me want to get a nicer wheel EVEN MORE, which is what I'll probably do after I finish this review. (save the trouble and just get a g27)

Now, here is a list of things I dislike about the wheel:

1.) The pedals are automatically mapped as gas being X, and brake being Square (however this won't work with games that do not recognize X and square as analog, games such as F1 2013 only recognize R2 and L2 as analog). I have to manually re-map the pedals to R2 and L2 every time I turn the wheel on, because it resets back to default when its turned off. In fact, this wheel isn't even recognized as a wheel by any game. Therefore you cannot adjust any "wheel settings". It's only recognized as a ps3 controller and you will only be allowed default settings.

2.) There is a massive steering deadzone

3.) The wheel only turns about 90 degrees each way. (this is fine for f1 2013, kinda sucks for gran turismo)

4.) The gas pedal started creaking after the second use, doesn't affect gameplay but the sound is annoying

5.) The suction cups are useless, any hard steering will make the base come off whatever it's attached to. I ghetto rigged it down with luggage straps and tie downs and it still slides around and occasionally pops off. (Also did not come with the strap to play it on your lap but that would probably feel even worse)

6.) no force feedback

7.) the wheel is pretty small in my hands

That's pretty much it. Don't go cheap like I did, you'll regret it! Instead of getting a g27 for $240, I am now down $60 for this crap wheel, in addition to what I'll have to spend on the g27.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great option if you are not a die hard racer, December 12, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I play Grand Turismo 5 on occasion as well as other racing games. I am not a die hard fan of these games so I never considered dropping $100+ on a steering wheel controller. I had used my friends Logitech wheel once and found it fun but the cost was just too hgh. After seeing this less expensive wheel, I decided to give it a try with just modest expectations. I was very surprised when I received it and saw how sturdy it is. I hooked it up to my PS3 and it was immediatley found. Within minutes I was in my first GT5 race and realizing how much harder it is using a wheel vs. a normal controller!

After several races, I was able to settle in and learn the sensitivity. The wheel does have turn limits unlike the Logitech wheel I had used before so that took a bit to get used to. Obviously if you are racing online all the time and want a more accurate representation of driving, you would have to spend more for a different wheel. However, this alternative is perfect for people like me.

It doesn't require any type of permanent placement (screws, nails etc...) as it has suction cups that hold very well to the wooden TV stand I had it on. the paddle shifters are nice and match a lot of cars these days. The pedals hold well to the carpet. With all of this, I am very happy that I got this controller!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality product, just a warning for Nascar game fans!!, March 24, 2014
This review is from: PS3 Racing Wheel Controller (Video Game)
My true rating would be about a 3.5 right now but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt. I ordered this wheel controller to go with my Nascar '14 game I recently got for a PS3. It comes with easy instructions for reprogramming the pedals to make them the correct buttons if the game so needs. The controller has a nice feel to it and the rumble feedback was nice and not too over the top like I've seen reviews for some other competing wheels. Once I got into the game and steering with the wheel the car would not drive straight no matter the circumstance where that is not the case with a normal PS3 controller. After having this issue I went and found some online forums for the Nascar series of games and it seems to be a problem for everyone that uses this wheel on the PS3 but only with the Nascar games. Others have said it drives perfectly fine with other racing games, I just don't have any others to test that for myself. I did plug the controller in to my computer via the USB cable and was able to get into the calibration settings and everything was kosher so I do believe it is just a communication problem or something with the Nascar games only.

I'd love to be able to say that everything was perfect and give this product 5 stars but I ordered it specifically for the only racing game I currently have which did not work out so well for me. I do plan on keeping the controller for future games, and best case scenario the Nascar '14 engineers will recognize there is a problem with this wheel and be able to do something about it.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the one i was looking for, November 2, 2011
Vaibhav (Edina, MN USA) - See all my reviews
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
Pro's
1) Racing wheel by Hori justifies the price..
2) Ease of use.

Con's
1) The wheels and pedals are small.
2) I know that there was no force feedback in this one, but even the vibrations are less.
3) I lose 3-5 sec per lap in GT5 which is bad as compared to a controller.
4) Not very comfortable if u use straps or hook in onto a table.

1.0 out of 5 stars fun, but save your money and get a better one, April 9, 2014
This review is from: PS3 Racing Wheel Controller (Video Game)
I bought this wheel set for my ps3, primarily to play grand turismo 5. It arived and I was all ready to go. After configuring the buttons and pedals I was off racing. About 2 hours in game play the gas pedal quit working. I reset the system and it was ok for a few minuits then it quit again along with the steering. I tried to trouble shoot the problem as I really wanted to play more, but it was broke. Just quit working. Had some buttons worked but that was it.. to sum it up save your money and add to it or just spend more now and get a better one. Take my advice. You will be dissapointed.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great racing wheel for Gran Turismo 5, July 12, 2012
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I remember once a friend was playing Forza 2 on the Xbox 360 and when I asked him about his racing wheel he said it was definitely more difficult "But SOOOOOO much better!" Since then I've wanted to give a racing wheel a try myself at some point. For some reason in the past I just never had the inclination to mess around with it (even when my father had a racing wheel and pedals for Ferrari F355 Challenge on Dreamcast). I think the reason I finally wanted to give it a try was Gran Turismo 5. That game is a perfect sim for a more advanced control option like this.

The steering wheel is actually quite small, as are the pedals. They are fairy light weight, and made out of sturdy plastic. The setup is ridiculously simple. Plug the wheel into your USB port, and plug the pedals into the wheel. If you are playing with the wheel on your lap you will probably want to you the included strap as well. Just loops it through the wheel and fasten it to your legs. This is so simple you don't even need instructions.

I thought using a wheel would require some manual adjustment of sensitivity or control changes but this was not the case. When you start up Gran Turismo the wheel already functions perfectly. Not too loose, not too sensitive. Perfect. I switched to manual transmission just to see if the manual gear shifter paddles on the steering wheel worked...and they work flawlessly. In fact they work SO well that I'm thinking of driving with manual transmission all the time (a first for me, since I can't drive a real car with a manual).

Did the wheel take a little adjusting for me to get used to it? Yes. The first lap I was having trouble braking on the corners and steering correctly. And to my amazement I had completely adjusted to the controller by lap 2! Less than five minutes to adjust to a completely different control scheme. This is helped enormously by how tight and accurate the wheel is, with just the right amount of resistance. Awesome.

My guess would be that Gran Turismo 5 is what most people are going to purchase a racing wheel for, and that's what I tested this wheel with. While there are more expensive, more elaborate options available, for the casual racing fan this wheel definitely gets the job done. I'm keeping mine for Gran Turismo 5. I'm sure people who visit will enjoy trying it out, and I plan to get years of personal enjoyment from it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great wheel for the price, October 30, 2013
This review is from: PS3 Racing Wheel Controller (Video Game)
I've only tested it on Gran Turismo 5 but it is sooo much fun playing that game on the wheel that I never want to use the controller again. It feels good in your hands and works very well. The vibrating functionallity is also an added bonus. Very immersive experience.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing product, June 1, 2014
This review is from: PS3 Racing Wheel Controller (Video Game)
At first, i was very into racing games, i love racing simulators, and after several months, i decided it was time for me to buy a racing wheel, now, i do not have 250+ dollars to spend on a wheel, i was very dissapointed that racing wheels are that expensive, and then i came across with this one, i looked the price and it seemed reasonable, looking at the price i thinked that it would be a low quality wheel that would break down within a month, but after reading the good reviews, i wanting so badly a racing wheel, and it being the only reasonable choice within my budget i decided to give it a try. When i first got it i was very pessimistic, i didnt expect much but hey, it could be a good starting wheel, and it turn out to be so much more than that. the plastic quality doesn't feel cheap, t feels strong, it has a very good grip, the paddle shifters are simply awesome, they click and feel very good, and the vibration and pedals respond good too. it's true that it only turns 180 degrees, but for Formula 1, (which i use it the mostly) is amazing, you get a surprise, it is very, very much more product that you expect from a 60 dollar wheel, it has amazing value and can provide hour after hour of fun! if you are a new, starting racing game fan, and you dont have more than 250 to spend on a wheel, this is the perfect wheel for you, its great for starters and it gives you a lot for your money. truly awesome product!

PS3 Racing Wheel Controller
PS3 Racing Wheel Controller by HORI (PlayStation 3)
Used & New from: $206.25