5.0 out of 5 stars Ratchet and Clank Revived
Published 13 months ago by ISGaudio

3.0 out of 5 stars Where have all the good times gone?
I love the Ratchet & Clank series, so I was understandably anxious when this one was released. Especially so because I skipped the last two (All 4 One was really just for multiplayer even though you could technically play it alone, and I learned that Full Frontal Assault was so bad that I never bothered with it).

Here we have the R&C standards you expect -...
Published 11 months ago by Some Guy

5.0 out of 5 stars Ratchet and Clank Revived, November 14, 2013
This review is from: PS3 Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus (Video Game)
If you're a Ratchet and Clank fan, then chances are you've been pretty disappointed these last few years. Ever since A Crack in Time, the series has progressively declined. They even started featuring the Lombax hero in cheesy Playstation Move titles just to make them sell better. Whenever I originally saw the trailer for Into the Nexus, the comments were filled with people who wanted them to cancel the series for good. In fact, when I went to pick up this game from my local Gamestop, they told me I was the only one in my town that pre-ordered this game. But that didn't stop me. I went home and tried my luck. And you know what? This was the most fun I've had playing a Ratchet and Clank game since Up Your Arsenal!

Story: Ratchet is on board a prison ship carrying a deadly criminal named Vendra. Vendra's goal is to use a reverse dimensionator to bring her species into our world. When Vendra's twin brother springs Vendra, it's up to Ratchet and Clank to stop her before she brings the Nether and their terrifying leader, Mr. Eye, into our world and destroying the galaxy!

Gameplay: Now on to the good stuff. Like all Ratchet and Clank games, Insomniac likes to experiment with new elements into each of their games, this one, focuses on a zero gravity element. You have unique shoes that allow you to pull yourself onto certain platforms and perform gravity jumps to other platforms. Also, about 2 levels in, you get your hands on a modified Levitator (This game has a lot of Going Commando's influence) which allows you to fly as long as you have fuel and fight in mid-air. All of these elements are exceptionally well done. I really hope they keep all these elements in the future games, the modified levitator is my personal favorite, they basically perfected mid-air combat, a feat most gaming companies have never accomplished. The gravity jumps are also very fun. The first level which had a large amount of these, was just incredible. There will even be certain bosses where you have to fight upside down, which is a blast to do. These elements keep the Gameplay fresh and inviting.

Music: Beautifully crafted orchestral pieces for every aspect of this game. Whether it be the doom music when you fire the RYNO, or the cheesy market music when you go in and upgrade or purchase a weapon. It's all here, it makes for a really in depth experience.

Weapons: I figured a Ratchet and Clank game review deserves a separate section for weapons, since that's half their charm. And you'll be happy to know, that there was not one weapon in this game that I hated leveling up. Unlike most of the Ratchet and Clank games of the past, every weapon in this game is fun to use. There are no silly gimmicks like useless holo-shield launchers, or the frustrating self steering tornadoes, these weapons are all unique and fun to use.

Verdict: This game is a masterpiece. Before playing this game, I didn't have high hopes. But now, I'm itching for more. Sadly this game is very short. (6 hours on normal difficulty, 8 hours on legendary/ hard, and about 5 hours if you don't go back and complete all the mini-missions) I could not put this game down until I unlocked all the trophies, and I still have a lot more skill points to unlock. This game gives me a lot of hope for the PS4 generation, and you have no excuses not to buy it, it's $30, what do you have to lose? It even includes a voucher for their $15 mini-game Quest for Booty. Ratchet and Clank are back! :)

4.0 out of 5 stars An Awesome, Albeit Short, Return to Classic Ratchet and Clank Gameplay., November 14, 2013
This review is from: PS3 Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus (Video Game)
I've been a Ratchet and Clank fan for a long time, and I'm glad to see this game added to the series; especially after All 4 One.

Into the Nexus goes back to classic Ratchet and Clank mechanics. With the same type of platforming you'd find in the previous games with a new mechanic where you create a stream of gravity to push and pull you towards the next area, and also to secret areas. The awesomely unique weapons are back like the Nightmare Box that scares enemies for a bit, the Winterizer that turns enemies into snowmen, and Mr. Zurkon is back and he brought Zurkon Jr. and Mrs. Zurkon with him!

I played on the Legend (difficulty) which I felt added the perfect amount of challenge to the game for me. It really made me spend more time during fights trying not to get hit, rather than just plowing through the enemies and beating the game. Speaking of combat, I loved how much would be going on during boss fights and even some mob fights, especially the final boss. There were so many things going on on the screen that it looked like pure chaos, and I loved it. Destructapalooza, the lava surrounded arena you love from other Ratchet and Clank games is back again. While I found it enjoyable I didn't find it too much of a challenge to completely beat it.

The story itself was solid, thought I wouldn't say it's anything special, it was just pretty short. I probably beat the game in about 7-8 hours and that includes backtracking to get all of the golden bolts and Ryno VII holo plans. But for $30 I absolutely feel that I got my money's worth for this game. But, keep in mind, that when you beat the game you unlock Challenge mode which is a sort of new game plus. Challenge mode is a new harder mode where you keep all your weapons and armor, and you can play through on a harder difficulty. When not in challenge mode your weapons can only level up to level 3, but in Challenge mode you get 3 more levels, and you get extra armor to unlock as well.

And one quick note, maybe it was just my system, but I noticed many times that the sound would completely cut out for a few seconds when transitioning to some screens. It mostly happened when my weapon leveled up and the system was trying to quickly load the weapon upgrade screen that pops up. But it didn't detract from the experience and I don't take any points away for it, it was just a little annoyance.

If you're a fan of classic Ratchet and Clank then you need to pick up Into the Nexus. It is an awesome addition to the franchise and Insomniac did another great job!

Pros:
- Classic Ratchet and Clank Platforming and Combat
- Unique Weapons
- Gorgeous Environments

Cons:
- Short
- Small Sound Glitches
- Destructapalooza a Tad Too Easy

4.0 out of 5 stars Ratchet and Clank: The Series Bounces Back, November 12, 2013
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PS3 Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus (Video Game)
Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus is a rare title that delivers exactly what it promised. The game returns to the traditional third-person platformer shooter, with the expected side-order of puzzles. The game plays and acts like the more successful titles as opposed to the more recent slump. The game has comedy, it has a wide array of big guns, and it has the classic gameplay we love. The story is good, voice acting is strong, and Captain Qwark is as incompetent as ever.

My Rating: 8.5/10

Into the Nexus is a good game, but I did have a few small issues with it. The new character designs first used in All 4 One are high-detailed but too much resembling something you would find on Cartoon Network (Ratchet from Tools of Destruction was my favorite). Ratchet's movements are a little choppy, and movement for enemies and everything overall seems a little weak.

On the upside, graphics are good and the interface is nice and clean. The gameplay only has minor differences (such as you can only shoot with R1 and have a constant crosshair) and some of the new gadgets and toys make the game really interesting. Raritanium upgrades are back, and you get a gun to turn enemies into Snowmen.

Gameplay 8/10

I give it a little lower of a score because I am comparing it to the previous story-driven, third-person titles. The Playstation 2 titles were quite similar to Tools of Destruction and A Crack in Time, but this one deviates ever so slightly. By no means the end of the world.

Re-playability 7/10

Ratchet and Clank games are good at providing ways to keep playing through skill points, difficulty levels, trophies, and of course challenge mode. It is not like an RPG where each character you pick provides a drastically different experience, but a 7/10 is favorable to what the series is known to offer.

Graphics 8/10

Ratchet and Clank games are not known for godlike graphics, but they look pretty good. The characters are detailed, guns look sharp, and the really only thing to complain about are the choppy movements.

Comedy 9/10

Always a strong suite for the series, I was cracking up early and often. Specifically at the cinematic for the new arena.

Story 9/10

The story to Ratchet and Clank never really held a whole lot of interest over me until it hit the Playstaion 3. A Crack in Time's caught me by surprise a few times, and this one might do the same to you.

Overall, Into the Nexus is a good game, worthy of your purchase. I am not disappointed one bit and the low price makes it only more enticing. Recommended to all R&C fans, no question. The series is back.

4.0 out of 5 stars A Solid Game, November 17, 2013
This review is from: PS3 Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus (Video Game)
It feels like it's been a long time since we had a true Ratchet and Clank sequel. We had spinoffs such as All 4 One and games like Full Frontal Assault that didn't quite feel like Ratchet and Clank. Into the Nexus certainly feels like a true Ratchet and Clank game, and yet it still falls short of the glory that the two Ratchet and Clank: Future Games released earlier did (not including Quest for Booty).

The game begins with our heroes escorting Vendra to the Vartex Detention Facility. Things don't go as planned, however, when her brother comes to her aid and things get a little screwed up. It forces Ratchet and Clank to have to stop her. It's a simple story that contains many of the things you'd expect from Ratchet and Clank. Though it never really hits the notes of Tools of Destruction or A Crack in Time, the story isn't bad. The only thing about it is that it's just such a short experience without feeling like a fully complete one in some respects. Previous outings have typically been bigger and filled with more intrigue but Into the Nexus is short and sweet, even when including all the side quests.

On the other hand, those familiar with Ratchet and Clank will, more or less, feel right at home as the basic formula isn't really all that changed. The game is still throwing various obstacles at you and there's still a lot of fun to be had with weapons. There's not a whole lot new here. You've got weapons like the Winterizer that turns enemies into snowmen for good measure. Other weapons such as one that gives your enemies nightmares for good measure. There are also some that return like the fusion bombs, but for the most part there's nothing that makes Into the Nexus stand out in the same way that previous games have. That's not necessarily a bad thing and at this price there's not much reason to complain. It just feels like it's not quite a leap forward when compared to previous titles in the series. It's still good and will be loved by any fan of Ratchet and Clank, but it still doesn't quite feel like the next big thing for Ratchet and Clank.

Like the gameplay, nothing about the presentation has really changed either. The character models are the same. It's still a gorgeous game with a great design. Though it doesn't look any different from A Crack in Time that's not bad at all. A Crack in Time was a marvelous looking game and so is this one. By now we know what the PS3 is capable of and sometimes the aesthetic quality is important. Into the Nexus has that. The voice acting and cutscenes are also really well done. Likewise, the music is absolutely amazing here.

In the long run Ratchet and Clank Into the Nexus doesn't do anything wrong. It just feels like it doesn't want to change anything either. A lot of the stuff here feels like they're running down a checklist of what needs to be included for a Ratchet and Clank experience. Hunting for those gold bolts or acquiring skill points can't exactly extend the length of the game by very much. Some gameplay segments are really well done (the opening moments especially) but there is certainly the feeling that this one was a little more rushed out than previous installments. What's going to keep it down the most is the excruciatingly short amount of time you'll spend getting through the campaign. And it isn't that the campaign is short that's so strange about it. It's actually that the story comes to a close somewhat abruptly. You'll feel like perhaps more could've been done with it. Nevertheless for the price it's worth checking out for Ratchet and Clank fans

4.0 out of 5 stars Clank's `mini-games' prevent this from being a 5 star title., February 3, 2014
Leohlyon (Saint Louis, MO) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PS3 Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus (Video Game)
Let's address the elephant in the room. Clank is a tool (both literally and figuratively). I've now played three Ratchet & Clank games, and he adds little to no value to the franchise. I put up with the pointless Clank mini-games in Crack in Time and Tools of Destruction, but the buck stops here. I'm putting Insomniac on notice - stop with pointless mini-games or you will lose a customer (as if they give a damn, lol). I just needed to get that off my chest, now on to the review.

Combat - As usual, this is primarily a third person shooter with a tiny bit of melee sprinkled in. I elected to turn off the auto aim which resulted in tougher combat. I liked the tougher combat because previous R&C games were a bit on the easy side. It would have been nice to maybe see a different melee attack. It's been the same wrench throwing/swinging attack for the past few games, and it's starting to get boring. I understand the wrench is a staple in the franchise, but couldn't we get another melee attack in addition to that? Maybe Clank could be used in a melee attack, being that he's not doing any damn thing else...

Weaponry - Out of all the R&C games that I've played, this is my favorite group of weapons. There's too many for me to discuss, so I'll just touch on a few of them. Once you collect the full catalog of weapons; you'll be able to turn enemies into snowmen, unleash lethal demons, throw sticky grenades, use a rocket launcher, target enemies from a distance with a sniper rifle, and make use of a `jack in the box' that can literally scare bad guys to death (one of my personal favorites). But the fun doesn't stop there. If you collect 9 missing `blue prints', you'll be granted with the mother of all super weapons. It's called the RYNO VII, and it's nothing short of spectacular. It has more than 1,000 bullets, which is unusual for a R&C weapon. To put this in perspective, the next closest weapon holds under 100. Here's a little tip: Unlock this as early as possible. I didn't get my hands on it until very late in the game, so I had very limited use with it.

Enemies - Unfortunately, this is the weakest area of the game (besides Clank, of course). There are only 4 or 5 planets, so I'd expect to see a different enemy type on each planet. The same few enemies were recycled on all of the planets, for the most part. I'll go out on a limb and say the same 4 or 5 enemy types were reused over and over. The boss battles were fun, but nothing too special. While playing the game, I felt like the enemies never quite measured up to the awesome weapon choices.

Miscellaneous - There are several side-missions to do (only offered on one of the planets). Also, I didn't think the game was as short as some of the reviewers made it out to be. If you take your time and explore the planets, plus do some of the side-missions, I think you can probably eke out about 10 hours of gameplay. For those die-hard R&C fans, you'll be happy to know the arena battles are alive and well.

I deducted a star because Clank's little missions were beyond frustrating, and you'll be forced to do them. I'll put it this way: If I were ever to meet Clank in person, I'd buy him a pair of lungs, then I'd probably lead him to a lake, and hold his head under water until he drowned (or rusted to death, whichever the hell comes first). Now you have an idea how frustrated I was while playing as him. If they feel the need to include such nonsense in the game, it'll be good idea to make them optional side-missions, just saying. Also, the enemy variety wasn't great, and that contributed to my overall score. Into the Nexus is a pretty good game, just not a great one. God of War I, you're up next!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars Where have all the good times gone?, January 4, 2014
Some Guy (Redwood City, California United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PS3 Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus (Video Game)

Here we have the R&C standards you expect - crazy weapons, lots of humor, and a lot of just plain fun. The Nightmare Box is now my personal favorite for hilarious weapons - it's a tie with the Groovitron. The jet pack is excellent and easy to use, and the gravity tethers are a great idea. Sadly, they're a bit underused, and the back-in-true-form fun gameplay doesn't stack up because...

I was shocked, I mean REALLY SHOCKED, at how short this game is. You could only come up with three planets? Really? One is an arena and doesn't count. When the final battle, which I was assuming was just a hard boss, was over, I couldn't believe my eyes. I mean, wow, no one could come up with more? Is this really it?

So there's no need to go into greater depth with this review, I'll just sum up with the good and bad:

Good:
Super fun weapons, they haven't lost their touch. The Nightmare Box is LOL. Level it up!
Easy controls and smooth movement.
Great overall fun.
You can choose traditional 3rd person or target lock mode, and switch at any time.
It looks really, really good.

Bad:
OMG is it really this short? I can't emphasize enough just how UNBELIEVABLY short this game is. No excuse for an R&C game.
The Clank netherworld parts, which are clever but annoying (Clank parts usually are).
I can't believe it's already over - oh wait, I already mentioned that.

This is what I was hoping for and isn't. It is because, as an R&C game, it's very, very good. It isn't because you don't get much of one. I'm so sad.

4.0 out of 5 stars The way R&C should be!!!!, November 22, 2013
This review is from: PS3 Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus (Video Game)
This game doesn't get any better! If you're a fan of R&C at all, then you should pick this title up! It really should have been no more than $20 due to the fact it only takes about 7-8 hours to fully complete with Platinum Trophy. But this game is DEFINITELY back to the original style and fun of the PS2 era! Also it comes bundled with a code for the previous PSN title: Quest for Booty. I'd already purchased that at launch, but I've heard there are MANY people having problems getting that code to work?

5.0 out of 5 stars New to R&C, January 8, 2014
This review is from: PS3 Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus (Video Game)
I never understood what the big fuzz was about R&C. I know I've never played the best titles (Crack and Tools). I did play All4One for about an hour when it was offered free on Plus, and it was OK. I played part 1 from the collection for a little bit and it felt really dated.

At this point I thought the R&C series is not for me, but I decided to buy Into the Nexus when it was offered for $15 on PSN. The digital copy, like the physical, also included Quest for Booty, so I started with that one instead. It was nice, took me about two hours to complete the game, but still didn't amaze me in any way.

So I finally started Into the Nexus. Wow, what an amazing game!!! I just finished the game, which took me somewhere around 5 hours, and I couldn't put down the controller. I was sucked into the gameplay from the very beginning. It is the most fun I've had in a game since TLoU. This game has hands down the most responsive controls I've ever experienced.

Feels like I just became a R&C fan overnight. Can't wait to pick up the other titles I missed, and looking forward to try again those I quit early.

4.0 out of 5 stars Fun, but short and seems a bit unpolished., November 15, 2013
This review is from: PS3 Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus (Video Game)
This is just like the older Ratchet and Clank games. I like it, it does look a bit like it was rushed when they put it together.
Overall it's longer than Quest for Booty but it still is a 6-8 hour game.
The rocket pack actually works this time and you have some real airtime with it which is good.
I've beat it on the easy and normal levels and going for the Legend level next.
One gripe is that you cannot get enough bolts going through the game on easy and on hard in challenge mode to get enough bolts
to buy all the omega weapons even if you have the gold bolt to buy it.
I dislike the way they made the new Qwark look.
It's a fun game.
Hopefully Insomniac will make an even better full length game for the PS4.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ratchet And Clank Into The Nexus is a hit, November 14, 2013
C. A. Matzker (Land of Lincoln) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PS3 Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus (Video Game)
Insomniac did it again. The "Ratchet And Clank" we all grew to love are back as is the humor and game play. The visuals are so full of color and definition, it is amazing. Love searching for all the hidden goodies and playing what I call, "the games within the game." This game is a must have.

PS3 Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus
PS3 Ratchet and Clank: Into the Nexus by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
$19.99 $13.07