Customer Discussions > PlayStation 3 System Slim 120GB forum

PS3 Slim: Vertical & Horizontal??

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 19, 2009 1:56:16 PM PDT
Mr. Oranje says:
I'm wondering if anyone knows if the new PS3 slim can be positioned Vertically on end like the current gen. of PS3?? In all the pictures and videos I've seen I haven't seen any rubber grips on either end of the unit, just on the underside. (I currently do not own a PS3 so I don't know if the current PS3 had grips on the ends to allow vertical placement, so I'm not sure if this is needed)

Posted on Aug 19, 2009 2:06:35 PM PDT
The videos of people unpacking them show it both ways. It's not as sturdy as the old PS3 when standing on its edge, but it is possible.

As far as rubber grips, it does not have them on the vertical standing edge.

Photos of it up close can be viewed here: http://www.engadget.com/photos/playstation-3-slim-unboxing-and-hands-on/

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2009 2:06:47 PM PDT
Peter Godoy says:
I'm not sure if the current ones have grips or not. From what I have read though, since it is so slim now that it would not be too safe to place it vertically without the use of a stand that they will be selling. But with even a little bit of creativity i'm sure you can make something to keep it stable.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2009 2:11:44 PM PDT
I've heard that Sony will offer an optional stand if you want to mount it vertical. Price not announced.

Posted on Aug 19, 2009 2:15:39 PM PDT
Matt says:
Well, it can always be placed vertical, it's just if you want to take the risk that comes with that decision. If you purchase the stand, or like another reviewer said, "with a little bit of creativity you can make something to keep it stable" it should be fine and sturdy. But I wouldn't place it vertical without any protection because it's not as heavy as the regular PS3 and it will be prone to falling over easily.

Posted on Aug 19, 2009 2:40:37 PM PDT
Thomas says:
no

Posted on Aug 19, 2009 2:40:52 PM PDT
Hphan says:
One may also be concerned with the cooling of the unit if the vents are blocked in a certain orientation.

Posted on Aug 19, 2009 2:41:47 PM PDT
John Nguyen says:
The optional vertical stand will be sold at 24 dollars. A bit of a ripoff for a little piece of plastic that costs .50 cents to make.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 19, 2009 4:28:02 PM PDT
Bukowski says:
The price for the vertical stand will be $25

Posted on Dec 3, 2009 1:29:35 PM PST
I've been thinking about the vertical thing lately. The PS3 gets VERY hot underneath while on horizontal position. The temperature difference between the orientations is enormous.

Posted on Dec 4, 2009 7:35:53 AM PST
Peter DeMars says:
Vertical is the only option for me, so I had to shell out $25 for the $0.50 piece of plastic. But I see in the manual it explicitly states the PS3 should not be stored upright. They must mean slot-up.

Posted on Dec 8, 2009 5:31:32 PM PST
P. M. Bego says:
Hah, just got my PS3 Slim and was going to swap it in the place of my old 60G first-gen (which had PS2 compatibility, yay!). Don't worry, I was going to keep the old one, just move it to another room. I took the nice, slender "slim" out o' the box, and, wait, how do I stand it up like the old one? Hmm, nothing else here in the box. Maybe there's little feet or brackets?? No, oh, wait, check online, $25 for a piece of molded plastic! Geez,. I thought the $250 PSP Go that made all my PSP Games useless was bad enough (no, didn't buy a "Go," Yet.) But $25 to stand up my new PS3? The stand I've seen in the photos looks like such a simple cheap piece of plastic, they probably could have packaged it in the box in place of some of the cardboard packing material, for the same cost to them. Gee, they make it so easy to hate Sony!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  12
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Aug 19, 2009
Latest post:  Dec 8, 2009

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
PlayStation 3 System Slim 120GB
PlayStation 3 System Slim 120GB by Sony (PlayStation 3)
4.4 out of 5 stars   (866)