4.0 out of 5 stars If you're like me, this fits the bill very nicely
When I first installed this, I fired up Fallout New Vegas, and was shocked that I could actually hear footsteps for the first time. In fact, the sound of the footsteps changed depending on where my character was walking. (dirt, vs. a railroad track, etc). It really struck me then how much sound I had been missing with my Plasma tv speakers.

But probably the...
Published on November 4, 2010 by E. Scott

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, Max. Volume to Quiet
Published on January 2, 2011 by J. Roshon

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars If you're like me, this fits the bill very nicely, November 4, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Surround Sound System (Electronics)

But probably the biggest benefit is the way dialogue is so much clearer and easier to hear. In fact, with a touch of a button, I can make the dialogue (and just the dialogue) even louder. My wife and I watch a lot of blu ray movies, and before we had this soundbar, we sometimes even had to turn on the subtitles because the dialogue would be hard to hear. (and we couldn't blast the tv speakers, because we have little kids who go to bed at 8pm).

But now, the dialogue is super crisp and loud enough, even on low volume settings. And with the night mode, we don't have to worry about sudden loud nosies waking up our kids.

Music sounds pretty good, but not as improved as the movies and games are.

It is important to note that this system will not kick your butt, even on max volume. It feels like the volume should max out on 50, instead of 30. But I typically listen on volume setting 20 or so, so it doesn't affect me much, other than the fact that occasionally you want to blast it to show off your system to your firends (and you can't do that here).

The reality is that while I could afford a better system, I really don't want a bunch of speakers and wires around when I have three kids under 6. I'm perfectly happy with this attactive unit that sits nicely below my tv, and opens up new sounds in video games, and makes movie much more enjoyable and easier to hear.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great sound in such a small package, October 23, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Surround Sound System (Electronics)
This is a great little set of speakers. I would even go so far to say that it is comparable to a set of high end Bose speakers. It is about 2 feet across and 4 inches deep. But the sound quality from it is great. Has four different settings on it for sound. Allows you to adjust the bass on the subwoofer. I think because of the design and quality of the speakers the sound is projected forward into the room and not all over. I found that while a game was being played in the room when I went elsewhere in the house it was not an easy to hear it. Also added BONUS it comes with an optical digital audio cable. It is a very narrow one and I am sure it won't stand up to a lot of manhandling so if you know you may have a problem with that buy the PS3 optical audio cable because it is much thicker and durable. Overall this is a great buy for the price and really increases the enjoyment of the movies and games on the PS3.

4.0 out of 5 stars Affordable Convenience that Works, October 26, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Surround Sound System (Electronics)
For Audiophiles, this product will satisfy only the basic needs. In fact, if you are a complete Audio Snob, this "Soundbar" is equivalent to the standard HDTV's speakers +Bass. Fortunately for the typical smug dog this Surround System wasn't made for them.

This is a very practical, affordable system for people who don't mind the lack of physical speakers, the frustration of wires/cords and the true surround sound. I admit I was a little irritated when I turned the volume to its maximum setting and the system failed to blow my ears away. Yet, like it is advertised, this isn't a true surround system. The internal Subwoofer can be adjusted and does sound great, it just won't physically shake the room like an actual subwoofer.

Overall, this product provides the Home Theater Experience at a greatly discounted price. The majority of great soundbars come at the same price as a great Home Theater surround system. This is half the price of those products and it saves space. I am very impressed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Just Got The Sound Bar: I like it!, October 30, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Surround Sound System (Electronics)
Went to an electronics store intent upon picking up a Samsung sound bar (which is a beauty to behold -- nice looking), and which cost $350. That includes a wireless subwoofer. I was walking out when I saw this one and picked it up -- on-the-spot decision that since I use my television literally ONLY for the PS3, and since it was about half the price, I'd be a fool not to get it.

I think I like it! It's not as pretty (rather nondescript black, with a reasonably attractive lcd screen in the front), but the sound is great.

BTW, it's surround sound qualities are a bit overstated. It's not exactly compelling surround sound: I've heard better. But personally, I think that surround sound is wildly/crazily overrated. However, what it DOES have is very powerful, particularly crisp and clear center channel: one plenty loud enough, and very crisp. I kid you not: I've noticed that I have an easier time understanding video game dialog since putting this in -- the individual words are clearer.

But it really is non-descript, just a black rectangle (which, to be fair, describes 70% of these things). If it were really attractive, I'd give it 5 stars.

4.0 out of 5 stars Sounds good!, October 29, 2010
This review is from: PS3 Surround Sound System (Electronics)
A lot of people have been putting this thing down before they have even heard it so I'll give it a quick to the point review. It sounds actually pretty good. I first tested it with COD4. I was very impressed with the sound quality. The bass is pretty good considering the size of this thing. Voice is very clear and so are the sound effects. I also tried it with The Matrix blueray. Again I was impressed with the crisp sound quality. This unit has several different settings that do actually work especially night mode, which is why I gave this thing a try. The build quality is very good too. It looks sharp and has a good weight to it. Remember, this is a sound bar. It's not going to sound as good as a 5.1 setup. For the price and ease of hook up I'm very happy with it. If your looking for a simple, inexpensive system these are pretty decent.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for studio apartment! Really adds depth to the LCD TV., January 18, 2011
J. Walker (Los Angeles, Ca) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PS3 Surround Sound System (Electronics)
Gonna try to keep it really brief. It's not a perfect system, but almost for what it's supposed to do. My Samsung 37" LCD's speakers are just acceptable. They add no depth to movies or games so I ended up feeling disconnected to action films like the new Star Trek in Blue Ray. OS in looking for an inexpensive Sound solution I saw this at Best Buy at there PS3 demo set and it stayed in my mind. Well I got it and after hooking it up directly to my Digital Coaxial in the TV and learning the remote, I am pleased to say it's really just what I needed for my studio apartment. It's not overwhelming sound, it's just right. It's power in bass and treble when needed or night mode to just get enough sound when it's kind of too late for bass.

Just do not expect this to be a 5.1 Bose system lol! At first I thought this was a 4 star cause the voices would get a tad muted but then I found that you can change the voice levels with the "Dialog" button. Wow it's pleasant to have a product that works well. I feel good I ended up getting it.

PS: Re-watched Star Trek in blue ray and what a huge difference. Had all the bass and depth I was looking for to engross myself in the movie.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good bang for the buck., November 6, 2010
Marc Dangelo (Buffalo, NY USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PS3 Surround Sound System (Electronics)
I bought the PS3 Sound Bar or "Surround Sound System" as soon as it was available on Amazon for $179.99. (even though as of today 11/06/10 it is on a Amazon but through a different seller for $55.74 brand new. Beach Audio I think it was) Definetly worth it but it's still not the same as having a true 5.1 surround sound and doesn't really get that loud, even when the volume is at it's max (vol. 30) and sub woofer at plus 6 also it's max. But what I love about it is, the fact that it is small and simple, only two wires behind my console and TV (Power and included optical cable). I also like to keep it on the floor since the sub-woofer is built in and it shakes the floor a little bit at the right times, especially in PS3 games over movies but is still legit for movies but not great. When it comes to watching a blu-ray or netflix movie it definelty sounds better than just the TV speakers but not nearly as good as a true 5.1 system. The night mode is great for when you want to play a game with out waking the rest of the house. I also liked the ease of teh set up. Besides the two wires, making it the audio output for the PS3 is super simple. Just Audio output settings changed to optical and then it show's you which allowments to select... 5.1, ACC, Ect... So overall I'd say go for it if you want something simple and small, it's a real Sony PS3 product and I haven't had any problems with any of my other PS3 stuff and they have a one year warranty just incase.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good Quality, Max. Volume to Quiet, January 2, 2011
This review is from: PS3 Surround Sound System (Electronics)
Was looking for improvement over built-in speakers, so purchased this unit. Hooked it up first day. Virtual surround sound via optical cable hook up was great, but not nearly loud enough. Even at max volume, wasn't nearly close to the same output I was already getting from my TV. Unless you looking to have this in a small bedroom, I would go with something else. Was set up in my living room, which isn't a huge room

Currently deciding between, Sony CT-150, Vizio VHT510, or JVC TH-BA1.

Would love to get the CT-150 but doesn't have a wireless sub-woofer.

Heard good reviews on the Vizio VHT510, plus the bonus of rear speakers, however, seems to be an LED issue.

JVC TH-BA1 has good reviews as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect for me, July 22, 2011
This review is from: PS3 Surround Sound System (Electronics)
Had been a bit concerned about buying this after reading some fairly "meh" reviews, but went ahead anyway and am so glad I did. I live in a tiny (read: TINY) apartment in Tokyo, and this thing fully fills my room with sound, even at only 23 or 24 out of the max 30 levels of volume. Obviously its nothing close to real surround sound, but it does at times simulate the effect quite well. Hear a chopper moving in a circle around me in Battlefield Bad Company, or look over my shoulder for the shouts of a mage in Dragon Age Origins. Really, a HUGE improvement over my TVs (a 40in Sony Bravia) built-in speakers!

5.0 out of 5 stars Blows other sound bars away!, July 21, 2011
This review is from: PS3 Surround Sound System (Electronics)
I would agree that the one downside to this is that the max sound is a bit too quiet for some sources. But in my experience, I'm more than happy with this. I'm a Sony nut, and even moreso with Playstation, and this thing really will give you more quality than you expect. I not only use it for gaming and movies, but for vinyls as well. The couple unique features really do stand out. The dialog options for boosting/cutting just speech, which is handy, and the night feature, which works wonderfully if you're trying to watch a movie at midnight and don't want to keep the volume so low that you can't enjoy what you're watching. You WILL notice that this little bar has some serious sound quality to it. I use it on low and high volumes, and you get the power of a $400 sound bar while only paying a fraction. (I payed a little over $150) If you want a wall-shaking speaker system, go get some floor speakers from JBL, if you want a quality sound bar that's sure to surprise you, go with this. Highly recommended.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

PS3 Surround Sound System
PS3 Surround Sound System by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
Used & New from: $229.99