Best Books of the Month Shop Costumes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon Janet Jackson All-New Fire TV Stick with Voice Remote Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer gdwf gdwf gdwf  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now Halloween

#1 top PS3 seller, and it isn't even out yet!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-16 of 16 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 19, 2013 1:43:27 PM PST
Jack Pacini says:
51 weeks in top 100 PS3 and now #1 before it's out, "There is no market for JRPGs in the US."

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 2:15:06 PM PST
packy17 says:
It's actually #1 for the entire video games section of Amazon, not just PS3.

Posted on Jan 19, 2013 6:13:22 PM PST
snowcrave says:
There is a huge market for "good" JRPG's in the US, but not a lot have come out recently. It looks like this game is exactly what fans of the genre are looking for. IGN gave it a 9.4 and GT gave it a 9.3, hopefully it lives up to hype.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 2:16:58 AM PST
Descepticon says:
Square Enix should take notice we do want "good" RPG's, not the crap they have been putting out.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 4:37:31 AM PST
moogle11 says:
Ha ! I hope this title's critical, and hopefully commercial, success ends the long dry-spell in JRPG's ! I can't wait for mine to arrive !

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 8:46:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 21, 2013 8:48:32 AM PST
Jack Pacini says:
Actually because of Project Rainfall, we did get 3 pretty awesome JRPGs on Wii. Xenoblade Chronicles, The Last Story, and coming soon Pandora's Tower. It was fan outcry and petitioning that got those games stateside, otherwise we would have never seen them here.

I think the combination of Project Rainfall, and the no doubt success of Ni No Kuni, is sending a clear message to Japanese game developers & publishers. We want/need GOOD JRPGs.

Skyrim and other WRPGs are awesome, but they fail to fill the void that JRPGs fill. In all honesty they should each have their own genre instead of just putting a J or W at the beginning. They really don't have much in common at all.

The Youtube channel ExtraCreditz goes into more depth on the subject, and I suggest all fans of RPGs W or J give the three parter a watch.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 10:11:00 PM PST
Marie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 12:56:53 AM PST
D. Segovia says:
I agree with Jack here, I cannot get into those games Skyrim and Dragon age etc, they are RPG-esque yes but they don't even give me a taste of what those 3 Wii RPGS gave me not to mention even Watered down mainstream JRPGS (like FF13-2 and whatnot), we really need/want GOOD JRPGs and this is for all the consoles.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 12:59:56 AM PST
Larry Liang says:
Ni no Kuni isn't just a kid's game. While Level 5 did say they wanted to make a game appropriate for a kid to play, reviews of the Japanese game have shown that it is more than complex enough for adult gamers.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 1:38:09 AM PST
As far as JRPGS are concerned this game is a triumph in terms of sales. It is so well deserved and it makes me very happy. I only wish Xenoblade chronicles had gotten this sort of reconition

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 11:56:51 AM PST
snowcrave says:
final fantasy's biggest problem is that they have focused on awesome mind bending graphics, and gameplay rather than world building and level design leaving there games feeling short and empty. final fantasy has been getting progressively more and more linear ever since 7. I just wish they would dumb down the graphics a little in favor of large engrossing open world.

Ni No Kuni uses an over world structure with more detailed towns and dungeons which is a style that i haven't seen in a game in what seems like a long time. why did companies abandon this game structure?

i feel that xenoblade's problem was that it came out on a system that has been steadily loosing its hardcore base in favor of a more grandma friendly environment. It also dose not help that its release stateside coincided with the release of the Wii U why would i spend money on a new game for my old system when i could save the money and trade in the old system for credit towards the new one.
basically it was killed by bad timing

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 6:27:03 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013 6:27:21 PM PST
zkioussis says:
I doubt this success will do much good, this had big names/big funding/and Sony marketing
Smaller studios will start to make a few but they wont be able to match it leaving newer jrpg to get shot down for not being "not as good as" .... I would prefer it not happen this way but the best we can hope for is namco continuing to use this formula and making more
This game is good enough to reach a larger core , an average or even just good jrpg could only reach a smaller base thus make less and not be as profitable sadly ... when you can make cod crapware and reuse the same engine year after year selling millions why try and spend money/time on a good jrpg :/

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 5:58:00 AM PST
Lemonadez says:
Xenoblade was a success. Its shipped over 800,000 copies worldwide. Over half of those were from the US alone. You can play Xenoblade on your Wii U also.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 1:12:56 AM PST
Julian says:
You know this game is a hit when it takes 1-3 weeks for them to ship a copy. Bravo Sony and Level 5 bravo.

Posted on May 22, 2013 7:23:51 AM PDT
Z. Smith says:
i hope this game is good i ordered this out of blind faith 3 day to try something fresh i hope this game is worth it! Ni no kuni wath of the white witch is a very odd name for a game but when it gets here i will play it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 16, 2013 4:11:39 AM PDT
WolfPup says:
How is this a "kid's game"?
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  14
Total posts:  16
Initial post:  Jan 19, 2013
Latest post:  Sep 16, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about