Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis UniOrlando Segway miniPro

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-9 of 9 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Sep 8, 2011 9:13:59 AM PDT
I wanted to post this so people have more information about the PSN Pass system that First Party PlayStation 3 titles will be using. There seems to be a bit of misinformation (and a lot of stigma) that hopefully can be cleared up...

Simplest detail about the Online Pass: New games get it free.

The PlayStation Pass is a System Level Authorization. This means that the entire Console is allowed to play the game, regardless of which PSN account is used. That being said, it is Activated using a single PSN account. To use it on other PS3s (ie. siblings with their own PSN accounts and PS3s) you need a single PSN account that is present on both systems. When you authorize that PS3 with that - lets call it a "Master Account" - each sibling can then use their own PSNs to play the game online. Also, they DO NOT have to log in as the "Master Account" just to play the game.

Now, this technically means that you can share the "PSN Pass" with your immediate family or close friends as long as you authorize your account on their system, but that's a bit shady. You're also limited to 5 authorized PS3s (sort of like how iTunes works).

Also, the "PSN Pass" works with games that offer Split-screen mulitplayer with Dual PSN Login (so stats are tracked for both accounts). Since the PS Pass is enabled for that console, the 2nd PSN account gets access on the console, regardless if they have the pass at home. However, this doesn't grant them access on their "home" console, unless the pass has been downloaded there, as well.

There is little to no information about this available online. I got all of my information straight from Insomniac.

The PSN Pass actually gets downloaded to your PS3. You can always re-download it on another PS3 that's authorized with your PSN account. It can only be downloaded with the one account, but it allows any PSN account on that PS3 to play it. Insomniac Games even tested this.

My conversation yesterday with Insomniac on Twitter:
(me):@insomniacgames - I know you've already answered a lot of questions, but is there somewhere that lists the details of PS Pass?

(Insomniac Games):@PolarBearTC back of the manual in the game. Sony hasn't put up any websites detailing the program.

(me):@insomniacgames - Thought so. For those of us that do not have the game yet (getting it soon), any "online" version of the manual available?

(IG):@PolarBearTC no. what is your question?

(me):@insomniacgames The specifics on multiPSN accounts on multiple PS3s. I would need one "master" account on all PS3s with the PS Pass? (cont.)
@insomniacgames (cont.) And that Master PS Pass would give the other PSN accounts access?

(IG):@PolarBearTC the PSN Pass works at a system level. Whichever account can download it on up to 5 PS3s that are authorized for that account

(me):@insomniacgames Okay. And if there are more than one PSN account on that system, then they get access as well, correct?

(IG):@PolarBearTC yes. All other accounts on the system can play. We even tested that here today to be sure

This and the other converstations on Twitter should be enough information for most.
If you have siblings or close relatives, you simply need to sign in with your PSN account, re-download the Pass, and then your Siblings can play online using their own accounts.

More comments:
(umi88):@insomniacgames R3 online pass is only system based? ie people with 2 ps3's for example can only play online in 1 ? :/
(IG):@umi88 no, you can go to your PSN account on your second PS3, go to account history/downloads, and re-download the pass

(IG):@Joel_Taveras You only need ONE online pass for all accounts on your system. If you have multiple PS3s, you can redownload the pass to each.

(hiddenblades):@insomniacgames what I meant was you can't bring a copy of the game over to a friends house or buy a used game and play online.
(IG):@hiddenbladez yes you can. You can activate your PSN account on up to 5 PS3s.

I hope this helps clear the air about the PSN Pass.

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 12:41:13 PM PDT
Great great post. This answers all of my questions about the PSN Pass.

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 3:23:11 PM PDT
Fredendil says:
Thank you for this. I was not gonna buy this game because i understood this pass as working on only one PSN account and the rest of the accounts on my ps3 (from my siblings) wouldn't be able to play the brand new copy. Now that i now how this thing works i can go and buy this game with all confidence i won't have to expend hard earned extra cash so my family can play it. Thank you, this was really helpful.

Posted on Sep 8, 2011 3:40:41 PM PDT
K. Smith says:
Excellent post, thanks for sharing that information. A lot of people believe that the Online Pass is valid for only one account.

Posted on Sep 9, 2011 5:24:00 PM PDT
Thanks. I really hope more people get to see this. It's an unfortunate truth that a lot of real information on the internet gets hidden behind fear and false assumptions. I don't condone taking advantage of the consumer, but I honestly feel like this PSN Pass system is extremely fair and flexible. I fully support this model, and I think the other publishers should either conform or switch to this.

Posted on Sep 15, 2011 6:30:24 PM PDT
L. Armstead says:
The Pass Code on the back of my manual is going unused. I was in the MP beta and I hated it, however, I played the single player for the achievements and its was great. Im just trying to wait for Amazon to not screw me over on the trade it. Only $9 for a $59 game... Gamestop is offering $25 with 30% bonus if you put it towards a pre-order.

Posted on Oct 1, 2011 10:07:22 PM PDT
anonymous says:
hi Timothy Cribb, your psn pass info is only for R3 right? what about future game based on psn pass like unchared 3 (i heard is also psn pass). will they also based on what you posted?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 2, 2011 8:54:19 AM PDT
The details of the PSN Pass is for the pass itself - not specific to any game. Insomniac was very open about the details (since they were the first to implement it).

Posted on Oct 2, 2011 9:30:56 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 2, 2011 9:33:54 PM PDT]
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Participants:  6
Total posts:  9
Initial post:  Sep 8, 2011
Latest post:  Oct 2, 2011

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions
This discussion is about
Resistance 3 - Playstation 3
Resistance 3 - Playstation 3 by Sony Computer Entertainment (PlayStation 3)
4.1 out of 5 stars (363)