5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Can Be Deceiving
Published on February 20, 2012 by Haloid1177

3.0 out of 5 stars Good aid to control, not so great at protection.
The nerf armor for the Vita mostly fails at what it promises, but it has other purposes that certainly compensate for this.

Published on March 16, 2012 by Kazriko Redclaw

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks Can Be Deceiving, February 20, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I will admit, I was hesitant to buy this case. It is, after all, a NERF product, and the Vita is elegant and not truly a kids product. But this is one of the few cases to provide protection to the rear touch panel when it is not being used, which was why I bought it, as my touch panel was getting scratched. So, that's one problem down. The other luxury this case provides is a comfortable grip. The side grips on this case really make it easier and more comfortable to hold. Overall, this is a case worth buying, as there are not many good cases for the Vita out currently. And the colors are subdued enough that it doesn't look childish, like some of the 3DS NERF cases.

4.0 out of 5 stars Protection with a purpose, February 29, 2012
I intentionally waited on buying a case or protector for my Vita for a couple days after I bought it because I wanted to get a feel for the device and how I carried it around before I decided on what type of protection I wanted for it.

After looking at several options, I finally decided to go with the Nerf Armor. I had already bought the PDP 3DS NERF Armor - Yellow for my son's 3DS and was pleased with the product, so I figured the Nerf Armor for the Vita would be of similar quality. Fortunately, the Vita Nerf Armor comes in much more subdued color choices...which is nicer for us adults.

I picked up the Vita Nerf Armor on a visit to Wal-mart (after I had a chance to look at it in person). It was easy to attach and has a secure fit. Important to note (and you can see it in Amazon's pictures) is that the entire front face of the Vita is NOT protected by this case. This could be a deal-breaker for you, depending on how you plan on carrying your Vita around. If you plan on throwing it in a backpack with a bunch of other stuff banging around inside, then this case is probably not what you really want.

This case will do a phenomenal job of protecting the back and sides of the Vita...including the rear touch pad (more on this later). So, if you are like me and have the Vita sitting on your desk, counter top, or car seat 90% of the time, it's perfect. If you want additional protection for the screen in the way of the stick-on screen protectors, this case will not interfere in the slightest.

As mentioned above, the rear touch pad is protected by the case...so how do you access it? The engineers who designed the case solved this problem by using a removable panel to cover the rear touch pad. To access the touch pad, you actually remove the panel from the case. The panel is held in place with two sturdy tabs and an equally sturdy locking clip. When this panel is removed from the case, the rear touch pad is fully accessible.

This rear panel also doubles as a game card holder and can hold up to 3 games. (This is the area you see in the pictures with the Nerf logo on it.) Two games slide in from the sides and a third slides in from the top. Game cards inserted into the side slots make a satisfying "click" when fully inserted, so you won't have to wonder if they will slip out accidentally. The top slot didn't really have the same click, but it still holds the game card securely...and the game card will not go into or out of the top slot while the panel is attached.

The panel does what it needs to, but I must admit I'm a little apprehensive about someday misplacing the panel while it holds three of my Vita games. I intend to be very careful about where I place the panel when I remove it, and I suggest you do the same. :) If you are ultra paranoid, I suppose you could attach a small "leash" between one of the Vita's lower holes and then attach it to the removable panel somehow (not unlike how lens caps are secured to a camera). Now that I'm thinking about that...I may have to do this.

This case uses rubber pass-through buttons for the power and volume controls along the top, which seems like a good idea...and probably is when implemented right. However, at least on my case, it did make the pressing the power button a bit "mushy", as I couldn't really feel a distinct click through the rubber. The volume buttons fare a little better, but even on those I had to push a little harder than I would have without a case to for the Vita to register my button presses. This is probably my biggest gripe, and I can live with it due to how infrequently I'll actually be pressing those buttons (compared to all the others).

That about sums it up regarding what type of protection you can expect, so now I should probably mention how this unique Nerf case also serves a purpose. Whether you are a child or an adult, this case will make the Vita more comfortable to hold. The Nerf material on the backside actually provides a good, secure grip and actually makes the rear touch pad easier to use, in my opinion.

I'm giving this case 4 stars. Were it not for the somewhat poor implementation of the rubber pass through buttons and the fact that I'll need to be vigilant about not losing that rear panel while it holds three of my favorite games, it would be a 5 star product.

Bear in mind that this is not a case that will give protection to the front of the Vita, so if that is important to you, keep looking. (It does not affect my rating because how important this is to you is going to come down to what level of protection you are looking for.) This case is ideal if you want to be able to keep the Vita handy while also keeping it fairly well protected from scratches and impacts coming from whatever surface you toss it on, and if you want something that gives your hands just a little more to grip on to.

UPDATE (Sept 25, 2013): I have had the case for a little over a year and a half now and can give a little more information regarding this product. (I carry and use my Vita daily, so the case has certainly been utilized.)

For one thing, I still use it, so I guess that says something all on its own. However, I have long since stopped using the snap-in rear touch pad cover for several reasons: it is too easy to misplace, the rear touch pad is already protected well enough by the main body of the case, and the three game card slots are insufficient for my growing library of Vita games.

The nerf portion of the case has held up quite well, although it certainly has some "battle-scars", not the least of which is a missing chunk of nerf material kindly nommed away by my (then) 18 month old son. :)

The rubber pass through buttons, always one of my gripes, are showing signs of deterioration. They aren't to the point where the rubber is worn through, but the raised nubs are definitely starting to erode away.

In spite of the wear, this case has performed admirably when it counts, i.e. when my Vita is dropped. In the past year and a half, I'd say my Vita has been dropped on a hard surface (cement or tile floor) 3 or 4 times. The Vita has survived all drops. (One of the analog sticks did get an almost imperceptible scratch when the Vita ended up sliding on the front face a little after the initial impact, but protection for the front with this case has always been essentially non-existent.)

I am currently looking around for a new case, but I fear it will be hard to find something that will serve the additional purpose of making the Vita easier to hold like this Nerf case does. After a year and a half of using it, I now feel that it deserves exactly 4 stars.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good aid to control, not so great at protection., March 16, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars

Firstly, the armor leaves the front of the system completely exposed. There's no flip cover to protect the screen when its in your pocket. There's no protection if it falls face down either. What makes this even worse is that even though its ostensibly designed to protect the back of the Vita unit, it actually causes more scratches to the back of the unit than it prevents. Without the plate covering the rear touch screen, there's a number of rough plastic edges that make contact with the vita unit. When you put the plate covering the rear touch screen it gets even worse. It's only secured by the middle, so the edges can and do get pushed into the screen while the unit is in use. There's 5 raised circles of plastic with rough edges in the center and at the corners of the plastic cover. All of these have left scratches on my back panel. Also, the panel is close enough to the screen where particles can get trapped under it and can scratch both the panel and the back screen. It would have been better if it was a tiny bit further away, and had a small lip to keep it from contacting the touch panel.

But it's still my main case for my Vita despite these issues. Firstly, it holds 3 extra game cards, making it convenient to be playing several games at once. Second, it keeps me from hitting the back touch panel when I'm not intending to, which can be a problem on an uncovered vita. Also, the foam handholds make it much nicer to hold and control the Vita than the Vita alone. Lastly, with these benefits, the Vita with the nerf case is still only about the thickness of the PSP1000, whereas my other cases and travel pouches are significantly larger. This won't apply to other people, but my Droid 2 Global phone fits nicely in the indention in the back, letting me easily carry both devices in one pocket.

The one thing that is really good on it is the button covers along the top.

So if you're looking to keep your Vita completely pristine, pass on this case, or at least spend some time smoothing out the rough edges first. If you're looking for a portable solution to improve gameplay though, this isn't a bad choice.

5.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't protect the front but it's because of the hardware build, February 16, 2013
Nerf cases are generally very reliable. This one is no different.

The Good:
Actually makes the Vita considerably more comfortable to hold. The Vita game slots are pretty nifty. The back plastic part comes off if you want to use the rear touch bad. The case will protect the back and sides VERY well, but doesn't do a whole lot of justice in the front which I'll explain in the next paragraph. I have the 3DS Nerf case my for my 3DS as well and although that one protects the system considerably better, the system playability is considerably hindered. It is easy to slip on and moderately easy to take off, but it is meant to be on permanently. The case looks pretty nifty and sporty; it isn't going to look as nice as a leather case. It is Nerf after all. At $15, I'd give it a 4.5, which I've rounded up to 5.

The Bad:
Really the only negative is that it doesn't really protect the front (the most important side) especially the analog sticks. I can't really blame them for not giving a complete facade protection because then the system would not be comfortable to hold whatsoever. The analog's would be tough to get to and move.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for big handed people, and offers great protection, March 3, 2012
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
I avoided the Nerf products like the plague for my DS, simply because I'm an adult and it was protected enough with it's clam shell design. With my PS Vita, I quickly found it tiring that every time I placed it on it's back, I would find myself re-enacting the statue swap scene from Indiana Jones. I was constantly wondering what tiny scratches might be forming on the rear touch pad. Now, I don't worry about that at all. This sucker is not only solid, and practical (holding 3 PS Vita games), but it also feels great with my big ol' hands. I can game longer, and with far less discomfort than when I was using the system naked. Installation is incredibly easy, and all ports are easily accessible. Great product!

5.0 out of 5 stars best so far!, July 20, 2013
Mary C. Mcgrath "her-is-murr" (Louisville, KY United States) - See all my reviews
this little number has already taken a beat down from my son who on numerous occasions dropped his Vita. so far this is the best case around. i wish there was a way to protect the front of the Vita but there's simply not any case to do so. with that said, the Nerf Armor is doing it's job nicely.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great comfort, decent protector, January 16, 2013
= Fun:5.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: PDP PSVita Nerf Armor - Purple (Video Game)
I would certainly ignore the poor reviews for this product, mine did not break immediately, nor was I expecting any protection for the front of the screen (do your research). If you do want good comfort and some extra bulk to the Vita, this is the perfect product to purchase. Very pleased so far.

4.0 out of 5 stars A great product, October 23, 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I tend to play my vita a lot, and many times for hours at a time. So my giant man-hands need a little more comfort, and the nerf armor does the trick. The fact that it does a good job of protecting the system was secondary for me. I take good care of my systems, so I'm not worried about that as much. I looked at the other handles/grips, and this was the only one that kept the basic form of the vita intact.

The actual feel of the nerf armor is what sells it for me. It's great for keeping your grip dry, and for simply making your hands comfortable.

I'm thinking of finding nerf armor for everything now! In the end, it's perfect fit for my monster hands.

The 3 game case on the back is a negative, and I've stopped using it. If you aren't careful, the games can easily slip out of the their slots. I'd rather just keep a case full of games off to the side than worry about them slipping out while I'm on the plane, or what not.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great premium product, December 9, 2014
Its a good case. In fact when I got it, I did not expect I'm having a back piece of plastic (hard) that can hold three games securely . this makes it easy to have my games with me on the go without have to have a carrying case just for games themselves. As far as protecting the PS vita, it protects it great. I have dropped it more than a couple times, and luckily I had this case. Because of this case my vita did not receive a scratch and my game did not even freeze. Overall the price of this case for what you get is a greater deal than any others I looked at.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, September 5, 2014