5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent sound!
I'm a budget conscious audiophile and I was a bit hesitant on the whole wireless concept. I was under the impression that I would lose some sound depth...but wow was I ever mistaken. I've owned Polks for years now and have always been impressed by the overall quality of their products. I was also hesitant about the whole "Made in China" side of the equation...but...
Published on November 21, 2009 by Rico

2.0 out of 5 stars Buggy wireless
I had originally rated this item much higher but after having lived with it a few days the wireless is too buggy. The subwoofer crackles and pops every few seconds due to wireless interference. I've tried all four of the optional channels without luck. It might work under certain limited circumstances but in today's connected homes, I can't imagine many people being...
Published on June 25, 2011 by imahawki

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZING!!!, February 26, 2011
This review is from: PSWI225 Polk Wireless Subwoofer (Black) (Electronics)
I spend a lot of time reading reviews before I buy anything on Amazon, but I actually rarely wrote one before. I could not resist writing this one.
I was actually a little hesitant buying this wireless subwoofer. To be honest, I thought a wireless subwoofer would be a joke, and it would not do well compared to a wired one. This subwoofer is a KILLER. It is sooo easy to set up. Bye bye wires!!
What a performance! Don't hesitate.

4.0 out of 5 stars Seems fine to me, July 20, 2011
This review is from: PSWI225 Polk Wireless Subwoofer (Black) (Electronics)
After having a conventional Klipsch subwoofer that took up gads of room, I was excited to purchase this mainly because Polk Audio is a good brand in my experience, and the idea of wireless was a convenience.

I have to say after some weeks that I am pleased with the subwoofer so far and I believe it is a good value.

Set-up: Completely easy as I simply plugged in the 'wireless' unit, and then plugged in the subwoofer across the room (about 20 feet away in a hidden spot). It literally started working immediately.

Use: I am generally pleased. Unlike my previous subwoofer, I can really feel the bottom in a lot of television programming and movies.

I have had no issues with the wireless once I played with the channels and moved the dial to a new setting (there are four channels available). The sound provided is fairly excellent with minimal times where I get too much "bass" and can hear the speaker really working. For the most part, however, this is a quality product and it works well with minimal fuss. I suppose a issue with the wireless can happen, but after trying a new channel, I have not had any issues since.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Sub but one minor issue for my application., June 2, 2010
B. Harrington (Plymouth, MA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PSWI225 Polk Wireless Subwoofer (Black) (Electronics)
I recently purchased this sub to add much needed bass to a Griffin wireless speaker system for my i-Pod. The sub is very simple to setup. Just plug in the sub, plug in the transmitter and hookup a pair of RCA's and your done. As for sound quality I'm very happy with it. A little experimentation with the crossover adjustment and the volume and you get nice rich bass that doesn't overpower. If you want heavy bass though, this sub has more than enough power to produce it. I don't notice any audio delay with this unit as others have mentioned. My speakers are also wireless though so the delay may just be equaling out.

I did run into one very annoying problem I though I should mention. My audio output device doesn't have active audio outputs, they are static. In other words changing the volume on my audio device remote doesn't chance the sub volume. This is very annoying, forcing me to constantly walk over to the sub to change it's volume manually to match my speakers output. I'm not sure I can fault the sub for this oversight, although a separate wireless remote for the sub would have been nice. I would make sure your audio output is active before buying this unit just to avoid this issue.

Other than the one issue above I'm very happy with this unit. Now I can easily move my wireless speakers and sub to any room in the house, even outside in less than a minute.

5.0 out of 5 stars The missing piece to my home theater, November 23, 2009
This review is from: PSWI225 Polk Wireless Subwoofer (Black) (Electronics)
I got this last week for $185.22, and it was worth every penny. I had my home prewired 10 years ago, but could never get my old subwoofer to work, having tried a new fuse, restripping the wires, etc., and I refused to use a wired product, because I was never sure the the wire to the subwoofer worked.

I had a misadventure with a Boston Acoustics TVee Powered Soundbar Speaker System with Wireless Subwoofer for around $250, which is home theater for people who don't know anything about home theater. That was an expensive purchase, and it did not allow me to use my four other channels. I ended up sending that one back. Do not buy if you want true home theater.

Buy this product! I used it on Saturday with my hodgepodge of el cheapo back speakers, Boston Acoustics bookshelf speakerd for the front right and left, and an el cheapo center channel, and the room shook with each explosion, and I felt the movie through our sofa on Monsters vs. Aliens using a Toshiba HD-2 upscaling to HD. I can't wait to see another action moview to hear the sound. It worked great out of the box, no wires, just a tiny transmitter.

I'm now thinking of upgrading the other five speakers and my old Sony 5.1 Dolby DTS receiver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great little sub!, February 22, 2011
This review is from: PSWI225 Polk Wireless Subwoofer (Black) (Electronics)
This sub is great and perfect for running wireless. I was a little worried about some of the "bad" reviews about it "popping" while it was off but I bought it anyway. Sub is small enough to put anywhere without taking up a lot of space but puts out big sound. It has "popped" once while trying to find a signal after a movie but its a small "thud" like someone closed a car door outside and not a loud boom. I just turned it off for the night and have not had an issue since. Not a big deal to me. The sound at first was a little dull and lifeless and I was worried but after a few days of using it it came to life and sounds great!! After being broken in I have it set at about half volume and hits plenty hard. As far as the bright blue light on the transmitter... yes it is bright when it is on, but I have it behind my blue ray player in my AV stand and it cant even be seen. It can also easily be covered by a small piece of electrical tape. Bottom line, its a great sub.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good as second sub, November 17, 2011
This review is from: PSWI225 Polk Wireless Subwoofer (Black) (Electronics)
I upgraded my receiver to a Denon 3312 recently, and it has two sub outputs. Uh-oh ... you can see this one coming a mile away, right? Yeah, I just had to get a second subwoofer. Necessary? No. A good decision, allowing both subs to run a bit easier? Definitely.

All the speakers in my main AV room setup are Polks, so I wanted to stay with that brand. This is apparently the only wireless sub they offer, and since I wanted to place the second sub in the back of my listening room and NOT run a 30-foot sub cable, I decided to go with the 225.

Overall? Very happy with it. However, I would NOT be satisfied with this as my main sub, which is a wired PSW450. The 225 is a clean-sounding little sub, but movie lovers especially know that films can be very, very taxing.

As an auxiliary sub, though, it really has made a difference. I was able to crank the 450 down a notch. Also, despite the fact that bass sound is more "directionless" -- meaning it's much harder for the average person to detect the sound's origin -- I do believe having one sub up front and one behind my prime listening spot has resulted in a more balanced, blended sound.

The one drawback with the 225, and the reason I could not award it four stars: The wireless signal IS subject to interference. Thankfully, there's only ONE source in my house that produces such interference, and that's when my wife wants to stream movies on her laptop. The 225 and its transmitter both have four channels, and the two units must be set to the same channel -- 1 to 1, 2 to 2 etc. Changing channels did help the problem -- in my case, channel 3 -- but did not eliminate it. (When the setting was channel 1, which of course I tried first, we thought the poppy/clicky sounds meant that a rodent had gotten into the duct work -- or that the house was now haunted).

Since this is an auxiliary sub, when she's in a mood to watch movies on her computer, I just turn the 225 off. Not a big deal for me, but I would be infuriated if this were my only sub. Funny -- I have yet to find a wireless audio device that wasn't subject to interference. Bought a very nice pair of wireless headphones several years ago that sounded great, till they started popping and clicking about 10 minutes after I plugged them in. Never was able to find the source for the interference in that case.

Conclusion: I have no issues with the 225's sound or output level. If, however, you have a wireless network in your home? Caveat emptor.

2.0 out of 5 stars Too much interference......., May 28, 2012
This review is from: PSWI225 Polk Wireless Subwoofer (Black) (Electronics)
This subwoofer sounds great, adds a lot of bass. I had a buttkicker installed and after receiving this subwoofer, I stored the buttkicker since it was no longer needed. You can really feel the vibration from the sub....it will distort at max volume, but it is loud enough at moderate volume.

I have had this speaker for two years and really wanted to like it since it sounds great, except when it starts making poping and crackling noises. Interference is very bad, you will not be able to use any laptops, ipads, cell phones, anything using wi-fi without hearing a pop and crack from this speaker, regardless of what channel you set it on. Range is not the problem as the speaker is barely 8 ft away from the transmitter.

Buy this speaker only if you plan not to use any other wireless equipment around it. I would have given it only one star since having a wireless connection is the whole point and it does not deliver, but since it sounds good I gave it two. Also, it cannot be connected directly so you are stuck with the wireless only....

2.0 out of 5 stars Polk Wireless Subwoofer, January 18, 2012
This review is from: PSWI225 Polk Wireless Subwoofer (Black) (Electronics)
I ordered this unit as a replacement for a Bose subwoofer. The problem was that it always popped and cracked when it wasn't receiving a signal from the transmitter. I tried all 4 wireless channels and put the unit in different locations within the room and still had the same results. Also, when I changed input sources I had to reset the transmitter to get it to send the new signal to the subwoofer. When it worked it was ok but never sounded as good as the Bose subwoofer. IMO wireless speaker technology still has a ways to go. Thankfully I purchased it via Amazon.com and due to their great return ploicies I had no problem returning the unit and getting a full refund. Thanks Amazon!!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great add on for a micro system, September 7, 2010
This review is from: PSWI225 Polk Wireless Subwoofer (Black) (Electronics)
I bought this little wireless subwoofer to add some bottom to the microsystem I use in the kitchen. Due to the strangeness of my house and system and speaker placement I had to go wireless. Well every other speaker in the house is Polk Audio so this one was a no-brainer. It sounds good for it's price point and really makes a difference. Hookup is a snap. I can't get it to go as loud as I want but this may be a function of the micro system not the subwoofer. If you have a need for a wireless sub, this one will do the trick.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome sub for the price, February 25, 2011
This review is from: PSWI225 Polk Wireless Subwoofer (Black) (Electronics)
Wife was tired of looking at the old sub out in the open and wanted one wired to the opposite side of the room. Not about to do that, way too much work! Found the wireless option instead. Was a little worried about the wireless for a sub but pulled the trigger on the purchase anyway. Figured I can't go wrong for $167... Got the sub very quickl. Unwrapped and hooked up in literally 15 minutes and BAM! This thing jams!!!! You will not regret it. All in all. Very happy!

‹ Previous | 1 2 38 | Next ›

PSWI225 Polk Wireless Subwoofer (Black)
Used & New from: $100.00