Your Garage Summer Reading Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

on September 2, 2005
Do you have clients who suffer from PTSD? This book is an excellent resource for working through the trauma involved in their lives. There are exercises, questionnaires, guidelines on journaling, many techniques to help survivors of trauma.

The chapters address everything from a definition for trauma to feeling safe and secure before starting the work, how to write about what happened, coping skills, physical aspects of PTSD, emotions and feeling them, through finding meaning in the whole experience.

PTSD changes people, but this workbook helps them to heal. Working through these chapter enables a person to self-soothe, to be alone without being lonely, to find some meaning in what happened to them -- to gain the ability to be resilient.

I would recommend working this workbook WITH a therapist as some of the chapters are difficult for a survivor to read through alone. It is advertised as "self-help" but I have had clients who really needed a helping hand with the exercises to get through them.

I highly recommend this resource.

Barbara Collins, MS, LCPC

Pastoral Counselor/Psychotherapist

Odenton, Maryland
11 comment|144 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 28, 2007
I had been through therapy a few years back for a childhood trauma and thought I had put those things behind me. When they popped back up again, I found this book. Because I had been through therapy before, I was able to go through the book alone without any difficulty and with great success. It's well written, has great supports written into it if you've had the background of therapy. I wouldn't recommend it if you have never had a therapist. You do need the safety net of a therapist if you have ever had flashbacks happen to you. They can be a scary thing to go through. The part on triggers was extremely helpful, and enabled me to determine what was triggering my episodes, which actually recovered memories I didn't even realize were bothering me, which lead to more healing. The book is written so that all parts aren't applicable to everyone, but that's the joy of it. For a trauma victim, it's a keeper, because there are parts you use now, and there are parts you may use later. It's set up to be used in pieces, not from cover to cover. It's a great discovery tool. Some memories may not seem like they're worth discovering, but some are. When they had us set up an imaginary safe pace in our minds to go to when things got scary, and asked who was there, I realized I always felt the safest when my grandfather was around, who died in 1991. I dug out a picture of him and put it up in my hallway. This book is definitely my best purchase.
on January 23, 2007
I turned to "The PTSD Workbook" for help after discovering a tragedy from my past. This book has been great help for my recovery. I found the techniques more useful than years of therapy. I feel that anyone dealing with a tragic event from thier past could find the help to start living again from this book.
11 comment|69 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 5, 2007
I bought this book to help my husband with the PTSD he is suffering from after returning from Iraq. This book has helped in so many ways I can't even begin to go into it all. This is the same book that my husbands pschiatrist gives to all of his PTSD patients who are really trying to get better. If you or a loved one are suffering from PTSD there is no better book out there.
on October 25, 2002
This is a good book that is challenging and rewarding for PTSDers to read and work through. The cautions and reminders to take care of oneself while working through the exercises are helpful. There is lots of information presented about PTSD in a very readable fashion. If a survivor of trauma had to work through those experiences and the resulting symptoms of PTSD alone, this is definitely a good place to start. I like to use some of the exercises with my teenage clients who are dealing with trauma-related symptoms.
11 comment|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 12, 2006
This is an incredible resource for clients , therapists, and family members involved in PTSD. This book outlines what PTSD is, what we can do for it, and provides numerous exercises to begin the healing process. There is a way to heal and this book provides a path of healing that is second to none. I used aspects of this book to develop an implement a program that treated NYPD and FDNY who suffered from PTSD due to 9-11. Much benefit was received. Highly recommended for therapist, clients, and anyone seeking information releated to PTSD.
on January 22, 2009
This book should be handed out by the Veteran's Administration. It helped me more than their counselors have. And it let me do it at my own pace.
on March 8, 2006
It is really a workbook you need to fill in the answers. The answers may be difficult to deal with if you do not have therapist.
on January 6, 2012
I ordered this book because it claims to cover C-PTSD, the form I have. However, all the author has done is take questionnaires applicable to the single-trauma type of PTSD and assume they are pertinent to C-PTSD people. They aren't. That is, they ask you about single traumatic events, but these questions are unanswerable for C-PTSD because the traumas are varied and often continuous and no single answer applies. I ended up believing the author actually has little or no experience or education with C-PTSD and is not qualified to write about it. This makes me angry because it is dishonest.

In general I agree with the other one-star reviews. An absolutely clueless or young and inexperienced person may learn something by filling out questionnaires, but if you are a mature, intelligent adult I suspect you will feel like you are in grade school again.

I sent the book back.
44 comments|43 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 25, 2012
This book is designed for personnel with only one type of disorder as a military veteran i found it difficult to pin down the problems and break them down into the subsections of this book. I also took the test at the end and mailed it to the "Doctor" for evaluation and its been a few months with no answer. If your not gong to respond please dont give me a tast which you are going to evaluate!!!!!