Published on July 12, 2012 by NCCaniac

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, but album is missing "We Are Young" Cover
Let me begin by saying this review focuses on the Amazon product, not Pentatonix.

Published 13 months ago by Onys

5.0 out of 5 stars You need earbuds or good speakers to fully appreciate their sound, July 12, 2012
This review is from: PTX Volume 1 (MP3 Music)
If you are listening to these previews here or any of their Youtube videos, before you dismiss it, be sure you are listening with earbuds, headphones, or good speakers because small PC, laptop or tablet speakers do not let you hear the full range of sound and harmony these five people create. Deep bass, vocal percussion, and tight harmonies with really sharp arrangements of the four covers and two original songs (The Baddest Girl, Show You How to Love). This is all just five voices, no instruments at all. A truly amazing debut by this group!

5.0 out of 5 stars Voices only, people!, July 12, 2012
This review is from: PTX Volume 1 (MP3 Music)
"Pentatonix made the kids like rock and the seniors like pop" I read this in a review shortly after Pentatonix won the 3rd season of NBC's The Sing Off. And it's true. They are able to take virtually any song, twist it around with their awesome bass and beatbox foundation, meld together tight harmonies and make it into something new and fresh. Again, PLEASE, for your own sake, play this with earphones. Otherwise you will be missing the chest shaking ear pleasure that is Avi Kaplan's bass lines. And remember: this is the human voice ONLY. No synthesizers, no Auto-tune. If you get the chance to catch a live performance, DO IT! In the meantime, enjoy their EP.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing talent, July 12, 2012
This review is from: PTX Volume 1 (MP3 Music)
Never heard of most of the covers on this EP until Pentatonix did them because I am not normally a fan of pop music. When Pentatonix does pop covers and originals I love them though. The only down side is they get stuck in my head and play over and over all day long :)

5.0 out of 5 stars A cappella avant garde, July 16, 2012
This review is from: PTX Volume 1 (MP3 Music)
Ever since their time on the Sing-Off (now cancelled, regrettably), the world is discovering the truly creative, mesmerizing potential of a cappella to not only mimic but elevate the source material in today's mainstream pop. In a musical age less driven by vocals and more diluted by autotune and synth sounds, Pentatonix reverses the evolving paradigm by showcasing vocals that can capture all aspects of modern record production. The five voices behind Pentatonix provide a truly harmonic and robust sound that features a versatile, heart-pounding bass, an eclectic and dynamic percussion, and a stirring melodic line replete with runs and riffs and textured with amazing supporting vocals. Their innovation in building an electronica hip hop arrangement is on display in their lead cover single "Starships" (originally performed by Nicki Minaj) and their music sensibilities and ambitious arranging really shines through in "Aha" (originally performed by Imogen Heap). Their direction as a group lies not only in taking the most difficult songs by a cappella standards, but also creating their own original material that undeniably blends with contemporary sounds and beats. "Show You How To Love" (written by the bassist, Avi Kaplan and percussionist, Kevin Olusola) achieves this feat remarkably.

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesomeness, July 14, 2012
This review is from: PTX Volume 1 (MP3 Music)
I don't normally write reviews but this is easily one of the best groups I've heard in a very long time. They do things with their voices that bands can't do with their instruments...

2.0 out of 5 stars Great sound, but album is missing "We Are Young" Cover, October 22, 2013
This review is from: PTX Volume 1 (MP3 Music)

I love this group, but I cannot recommend purchasing this album ON AMAZON. The same album on iTunes includes a cover of "We Are Young," which is not only a great cover but gives additional value to your purchase by increasing the song count to 7. Making matters worse, the "We Are Young" cover can only be obtained through purchase of the entire album on iTunes, so if you're thinking of picking up PTX Vol. 1 here and then grabbing the one-off from iTunes, think again.

Again, I love the group, but this album on Amazon is obviously the inferior offering. I wish there was a glaring 1 or 2 star review that had directed me to iTunes for the purchase before I bought my copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Sound, July 14, 2012
This review is from: PTX Volume 1 (MP3 Music)
I first saw this group on "The Sing Off" and was blown away that five people could produce such a fantastic sound. The rhythm and bass, the tight vocals, the arrangements--the entire package is unbelievable. I agree with another reviewer that the only problem is that once you listen to their music you want to play it over and over and you can't get it out of your head! No doubt this group is destined for great things.

4.0 out of 5 stars Too short, April 17, 2013
This review is from: PTX Volume 1 (MP3 Music)
I like this album but it is too short. The group has a great sound and the album is a lot of fun to listen too. I am happy I purchased it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love these voices together, September 19, 2013
SM777 (Hyrule, which I think is in Michigan somewhere . . .) - See all my reviews
This review is from: PTX Volume 1 (MP3 Music)
These 5 people are a perfect blend, and a perfect counterpoint to one another. Sounds odd, but it is true. You can distinguish the part each plays, but together they are so much more than any individual singer. Being a bass, I envy Avi - man has a SUPER low bass voice like I haven't heard in years. Mitch Grassi - wow. haven't heard a high male voice that good since... maybe Jeremy Jackman? It's damn hard to tell where Mitch's regular singing voice stops and his falsetto begins.

All the members are really, really talented. Can't recommend enough. I ope for more of their original music on their next album - they make average pop songs phenomenal, but their own work is outstanding.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor sound, June 20, 2014
This review is from: PTX, Vol. 1 (Audio CD)
I bought this Cd due to our admiration to Pentatonix, but we were disapponited. Poor sound, you have to put so loud the cdplayer or to hear ot with headphones.

PTX, Vol. 1
PTX, Vol. 1 by Pentatonix (Audio CD - 2013)