5.0 out of 5 stars Great taste, more filling.
The 2-stage filter produces water that tastes so good, I've stopped drinking bottled water (at home, anyway). As a result I find myself filling the pitcher several times a day, much more often than I filled my Brita pitcher.

Published on October 25, 2007 by J. Krieger

The PUR CR-6000C 2 Stage Oval Water Pitcher with LED Indicator has some very strong positives that make it a good choice. However, it also has some weaknesses that will hopefully be addressed in a re-design. As long as you know what the weaknesses are, you should be able to get more use of the benefits of this product than some people have reported...
Published on October 19, 2008 by Mark

3.0 out of 5 stars Pur 2 Stage Oval Pitcher - Better Than You've Heard, But Still Needs Some Work, October 19, 2008
This review is from: PUR CR-6000C 2-Stage Oval Water Pitcher with LED Indicator (Kitchen)

Pros:
+ Takes up a small amount of floor space
+ Great 2 stage filters leak less filter debris than other filters
+ It has an attractive look with a sleek body
+ The included indicator reminds you when to change filters
+ The price is very reasonable on an annual basis

Cons:
- The body isn't as solid as it could be, so use both hands to pick it up
- The filters seem to run out quickly
- Removing the cover takes some practice

The slim form factor has a smaller footprint and takes up less space, but it also puts more weight on the handle and the body every time you pick it up. So most of the complaints about cracking are due to the slim oval design, and not just the thickness of the pitcher. How do you compensate for that? Simply use your other hand to hold the front of the pitcher when you pick it up and relieve some of the pressure on the body and handle.

The other common complaint has to do with the design of the lid, which seems to make the pitcher difficult to fill. But after the first time, the lid opens much more easily. Simply put your thumb into the back tab of the lid an it will open easily. What's more, this model has the added benefit of having a nice seal when closed, so refrigerator odors won't get into your water. Just make sure to wait till your water has gone through the filter before putting it away, to avoid spilling.

Other than the obvious savings of cutting down on bottled water and the plastic waste that comes with it, the best feature of this pitcher has to be the filter. As a long-time Brita user, I got tired of the filter material ending up in my water. Not only does the two stage filter of this model screw in securely, it has less seepage of filter material. And of course, most importantly, the water tastes great. I can't comment on whether or not it removed more bacteria, because I didn't run any scientific tests. But the taste was definitely an improvement over other filters.

Now there is a larger dispenser that may be better for those with space in their fridge for it. Obviously you will have less breakage issues, but it takes up much more room. So it's a trade-off.

The flashing indicator on the top is meant to calculate how many refills you have gone through, and it will tell you when you have to change your filter. Even at $20 for a three pack, this system basically comes out to $60 a year for filters and the pitcher. Not bad, even if you had to replace the pitcher every year.

Overall, despite the warts this is a good product. If you don't have the room for the larger dispenser, or the faucet mount, then this will work for you. Just handle it with care.

Enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great taste, more filling., October 25, 2007
J. Krieger (Ft Lee, NJ USA) - See all my reviews

The functional design of the pitcher, however, could easily be better. Its pour spout is open to the air, while Brita's is covered, leaving the water exposed to dust, as well as to odors in the fridge. It's the equivalent of leaving a bottle of water uncapped all day or longer.

In addition, removing the top in order to add water requires more effort than it should; whoever designed it doesn't seem to have considered that the top must be separated from the filtration chamber. (For that purpose I've developed a technique where I pull the chamber up with my left hand while my right thumb releases the top from it.)

The LED light on top of the lid is activated by pouring, simply by the tilt of the pitcher. It's supposed to measure the amount of water you pour so you know when to get a new filter. If you pour one glass at a time, this will probably give you an accurate measurement. However, if you pour fractions of a glass, or potfulls, or if you tilt the lid when you remove it, it becomes a not very useful gimmick.

Despite the issues with the pitcher, which I hope someone at PUR takes seriously, the quality of the water makes this a product I'd recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars So Far So Good, January 21, 2008
I have had my Pur Pitcher for about 3 weeks now with no problems. I fill it in the sink, sit it on the counter for about 10 minutes to let it filter a bit and then stick it in the fridge.

We use it for a quick glass of water, to fill the coffee pot, or for anything else we feel we want cleaner-than-tap water for.

We certainly do notice a different in taste. The Pur water definitely tastes cleaner. I think we have decent city water to start with, so I am sure that helps with the filtration life, but I do wish it was at least 3 stage and not 2 stage.

I also wich it could fill itself. My significant other usually forgets the recipe for water and I am stuck filling the coffee pot with tap water in the morning ;)

UPDATE: ONE YEAR LATER
Still works like a charm. No cracks that others complained about. Just change the filter regularly and you have delicious, refreshing, clean water. And I am happy to report the GF learned to fill it up when she empties it ;)

5.0 out of 5 stars Love vs. Filter Changes, June 26, 2009
M. Apsey (TAMPA, FL USA) - See all my reviews
After struggling with several attach-to-faucet filters, I've settled on this little gem for all my water filtering and am wonderfully satisfied with but one caveat having to do with the 40 gallon or 2-month filter change recommendation.

Living alone, its size is perfect for my needs. Still, there's no way I'll use 40-gallons in a two-month period. Wondering if I could double the filter life somehow, my Googles failed to answer the question so when the little red light comes on, I just reset it for another 2-months. I haven't died yet, and the water in the second phase tastes great too and I'm sure it's still better than drinking from the tap.

I don't mind crawling in bed with Pur for filter replacements, but think that 2-month cycle is a bit on the greedy-side of selling filters--at least to the likes of penny-pinching moi. I subtracted a star for that.

1.0 out of 5 stars Poor quality plastic that breaks after 6 mos - 1 year, June 6, 2009
Agreed with all the reviews around the cheap quality of the plastic - the handle will break off, the pitcher begins cracking simple from pressure of the water, and the pour spills easily. Not recommended until they improve the design.

1.0 out of 5 stars Pur Defect! Broke after 4 days of light use, October 6, 2007
C. Wang (Columbus, Ohio) - See all my reviews
I had this product for 4 days. It broke.
Usually, I fill the pitcher with water and leave it in a fridge and pour a glass whenever I needed. Today, I took the pitcher out of the fridge and left it on a table, I assume due to different of room temperature and the temperature of the water inside, the sides of the pitcher started to crack. Found out a little late, the water ran and make a nice puddle on the carpet. If the pitcher is made with such crappy material that can't even withstand the slight change of temperature from the fridge to room temperature, I cant imagine on what standards the filters are made with.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pur Pitcher with LED- A perfect water filter pitcher!, October 7, 2009
I purchased this water filter pitcher to replace a Brita Pitcher after I learned that Brita filters don't filter out any microbes or pharmaceuticals, but only chlorine, etc. The design is great. Unlike my previous Brita filterBRITA Water Filtration System Kit 1 Pitcher Vintage Model (Large Capacity) plus 2 Fliters this one consists of three easy to clean parts, the pitcher, the basin, and the lid. When you pour from the pitcher, the LED flashes, indicating the status of the filter. It's not measuring anything when you pour, pouring simply activates the LED and tells you how much time has passed since you set the timer, indicating its state as working or not. Though it may filter a tad slower than the Brita filter, the time difference is not significant, and the fact that it removes 96% of pharmaceuticals, and microbial cysts makes it well worth it. If you enjoy the convenience of having an LED to remind you when it's time to change filters, I would definitely recommend this model. If you don't mind using the stickers that come with the filters to remind you when to change, or have enough confidence in your memory to do without either, I would recommend saving the money and buying one of these models: PUR CR-6000 2 Stage Oval Water Pitcher or PUR Water Pitcher with Bonus Trial-Size Samples

1.0 out of 5 stars crappy plastic, cracks spontaneously, October 13, 2010
KRISTEEN R ORTEGA (LYNWOOD, CA United States) - See all my reviews
Unlike some reviewers who had the pitcher in the refrigerator, I had this pitcher on the counter without any changes in temperature... It still cracked spontaneously!!!!!!!!

3.0 out of 5 stars 2-Stage Pur Pitcher & Filters Are Barely Adequate!, January 7, 2008
First of all, we live in a "Hard-Water" environment and I'm talking about City water! This Pur 2 stage pitcher works fine & better than some of the other ones, and believe me we have used all of them.
The MAIN PROBLEM that we have been experiencing is NOT so much with the
plastic pitchers, but it's the Pur 2-stage FILTERS ... They don't work very well in 'hard-water area's' period!
They Only last not more than 20 days for just common things like making coffee every am or filling up the tea kettle or for just making a pitcher of sun tea! It's ridiculous that these 'Plug-In type' of filters not only don't last the referenced 60 to 90 days as per literature, but it's only a Stage-2 water filter, instead of a Stage-3 or 4 even!
And Yes, we have tried Brita & Honeywell too!
We don't even use this water for drinking purposes, we all use bottled H20.
For the high cost that we all pay per filter, we should be getting a better product, instead of one where PUR has been cutting corners.
I have Contacted PUR corp multiple times all thru 2006 & 2007, and GUESS what Folks? Yep, they have NEVER responded to any of my inquiry's!!!!
We would be interested to know if there are any Alternatives or solutions
that someone else would like to recommend please!

1.0 out of 5 stars LED indicator is a SCAM!, November 28, 2011
I used the filter that came with the pitcher and followed the LED. Seemed to need replacing way too soon. Replaced filter with the older style that has the mechanical timer and compared the 2. My LED is now flashing red but my filter is only 1/3rd used!! <<See the picture I added to the product>> The LED indicator is a scam to sell more filters. They have no idea what occurs every time the pitcher is jostled, whether it gets refilled every time you touch it or how full you fill it when you do. Try to find the older filters with the mechanical life timer.

PUR CR-6000C 2-Stage Oval Water Pitcher with LED Indicator
$27.99 $18.05
In stock. Usually ships within 3 to 4 days.
Rate and Discover Movies