1,897 Reviews
 (1,316)

Published on November 18, 2007 by Kimberly White

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow, but works. Doesn't filter MTBE well.
The ds-1800 / ds-1800z does the job, if slowly. Rough ballpark is that if the base is 1/3rd full and you fill the top to full, it'll take 40 minutes (yes, I timed it) for it to filter (slows down towards the end.) If you're starting from empty, you are looking at over an hour to a full container.

The filter spec sheet lists mostly high-90's for...
Published on December 31, 2006 by B. D.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great taste, stands up to heavy use, you can fix the slow dripping problem, November 18, 2007
This review is from: PUR 18 Cup Dispenser with One Pitcher Filter DS-1800Z (Kitchen)
We got this pitcher for our family of 6 almost 3 years ago, and have used it constantly since. It does fit nicely in a fridge, but we keep it on the counter because it gets used so often and I don't like the fridge door opening all the time. We have a smaller Brita pitcher for the fridge, and there is a HUGE difference in the taste. The Pur is much better. We live in NYC, which has heavily chlorinated water. With this Pur filter, we can't taste the chlorine at all.

We have found that after a couple of weeks (sometimes less) the filters really slow down. At first we'd just replace them, because even with replacing the filter every couple of weeks it's cheaper to filter water than to buy it pre-bottled. (My daughter just did a science project on the fact that bottled water is almost completely unregulated, so filtering your own tested/regulated tap water is probably safer anyway.) However, we have since discovered that if you pull the filter out and soak it in cold water for 10 minutes, the same as you do when starting a new filter, the drip speed increases again. Now our filters really last the month or two they're supposed to.

I have never had a problem with mold or mildew with this dispenser, a problem that some people have with Britas. I wash it every once in a while when I see dust in the top part, but I'm really amazed at how clean and fresh it has stayed all these years. It is really convenient to use though it's a little heavy to return to the fridge once it's filled (another reason ours stays on the counter).

I'm on this page now just because our dispenser has (finally) started to leak from the spout. There aren't many products that can be used heavily for 3 years without a single problem! So after I finish this review, I'm going to buy another one. I don't know of any better, safer, cheaper, more delicious way to keep a large family hydrated.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fresh and delicious water, October 8, 2010
Length:: 2:31 Mins

Great water filter and pitcher. Durable and stylish.

Update 10/24/12: Still working amazingly well. Just pop it in the dishwasher every time I change the filter and its good as new.

5.0 out of 5 stars It was so nice I bought it twice..., August 5, 2006
RDC (Nashville) - See all my reviews
This is a great water filter and it gets plenty of use in my household. If anything I could say "I wish it held more water," (I drink 3+ litres of water a day and it seems that I am always filling the darned thing up) - but that would be an unreasonable request. Who would want a dispenser so large that it would be unwieldy to carry to the refrigerator? No one - not even me. So I bought a second one so that one of them is always full! This dispenser is slim so that I can easily fit two side by side in my refrigerator. (Can't have too much of a good thing!) And this filter/dispenser is definitely good - it has a large fill "basket" and the 2 stage filter produces water that is completely taste and odor free. I could easily tell the difference in my drinking water! Lastly, the filters (with usage indicators) are long-lasting. I have filled my first dispenser twice a day for 1 1/2 months and it still hasn't reached the half way point. Very impressive results! Highly recommend.

4.0 out of 5 stars Works great but you need to know some FACTS about filters, August 6, 2011
First of all, while it sometimes can be slow to fill, this is probably due to the filter and really all you need to do is gently shake the pitcher or tap it a few times...really, this works. It's due to the filter being clogged but it isn't a major issue since all water filters usually have this problem to some degree. Second, while it would be nice to have some sort of filter life indicator other than a stupid sticker that says to change it every 4 months, there isn't one. Obviously, different sized households and even individuals will be using different amounts, so the "2 months" doesn't necessarily apply to everyone, it's more a general rule of thumb. Here's the deal with these filters - you do NOT need to replace them every 2 months or every 40 gallon fill ups. These filters will work just the same until water stops flowing from them. They are activated carbon filters and carbon doesn't "expire", it just gets more and more filled with junk. Another reviewer also suggested that when you notice the water is filtering slowly, take it out, gently tap it on the counter a couple times, shake it up, etc. then put it back in. It will work fine. You will notice the water will still taste clean & fresh. A single filter can probably last at LEAST a year for 1-2 people. The reason they say 2 months is ***VOILA!!!*** to get the consumer to BUY MORE FILTERS MORE FREQUENTLY! Marketing genius, right? Don't be fooled. Do the taste test yourself if you don't believe me, or do some online research and you will see I'm right. Happy drinking.

5.0 out of 5 stars Much better than faucet-mount..., November 30, 2003
My wife and I have immensely enjoyed the wonderful water we get from our Pur filtration pitcher, which uses the same filters as this dispenser.
It's very convenient -- just pour water into the top, and it will, albeit slowly, drip through the filter. Over time, as the filter clogs, it will get slower, so the key is to add more water every time you pour more out -- that way, it's filtering while you are drinking and you aren't waiting.
It's actually much more convenient than the faucet-mount filters, which inevitably leak and get painfully slow and force you to wait...
Pur is better than Brita, by the way, if you get the Ultimate filters, which filter out cryptosporidium and giardia in addition to chemicals and gunk. Brita doesn't do that; it's an important feature if you have iffy water systems (Mexico, Russia) or a weak immune system...

3.0 out of 5 stars Slow, but works. Doesn't filter MTBE well., December 31, 2006
B. D. (Boston, MA USA) - See all my reviews

The filter spec sheet lists mostly high-90's for percent-removal of lots of things, except for MTBE- of which it only removes a minimum of 70%, and a maximum not much higher...still under 80%. Given how common MTBE pollution in water is these days (thanks, California!) and its carcinogenic nature, that's pretty poor.

Also, Pur only rates it for a maximum of 2 gallons a day, and "approximately" 40 gallons per filter "depending on local water conditions". They warn you that the filter's performance drops rapidly, but there's no way to tell how long that'll be, even if you have your water tested!

Watch out as the top is not 1/2 of the size of the bottom. The bottom is about 1.5x larger than the top. A line on the inside of the lower reservoir for a "don't fill the top to full when the reservoir is above this" would be a good addition.

The amazon description is slightly misleading; it does not have a "filter life indicator". It has a sticker showing a 12 month dial, and a second sticker to place on that. A molded in dial with spinner would be an improvement and all that's necessary (the brita lcd thing is silly.)

The spigot lever is strongly spring-loaded and cheaply built. If you pull it down and then let go, it will smack the side of the container very hard.

Make sure you insert the filter with the tabs aligned with the hole; you'll see a lock-down mechanism that seats the filter after you give it clockwise turn. The instructions do not mention this. Also, the filter may seem like it sits too high in the upper tray, but the inlet slats go down almost to the o-ring, so don't worry about it draining the upper tray.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best filter I have found, November 21, 2006
I had the bigger Pur Dispenser when I lived in Las Vegas and loved it to death. Being in the military I recently moved to South Korea, where the water is a nice dark brown coming from the tap. Yum Yum. I picked up the Pur Pitcher and the water from it is absolutly purfect. But with my need of more water all the time (and I leave my Pur Pitcher at work now) I picked up the 2-Stage dispenser. By far better than lugging bottled water and it even seems to taste better than bottled, not to mention the money I save with this filter. I couldn't be happier...it will filter mud into pure crystal clear water. Good stuff, highly recommend this filter.

Add on : I have had this filter for a little over a year now.......and I know it filters out a lot of junk due to the fact that I have to clean out the unfiltered tray about once a month because a layer of Mud forms in the bottom (Yeah, mud!) So I am using this filter in extreme conditions, and it is doing GREAT!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars MMMMM 8 glasses a day... EASY NOW!, December 31, 2004
@homemom (Jersey Shore, United States) - See all my reviews
Yes I'll admit it, everytime we went grocery shopping we lugged home a few big bottles of "spring water" (what the heck does that mean anyways and why do we think it's better then our tap water, I mean what is really in those plastic jugs?). Given this sudden realization recently I went on a quest to pick a water filter for our tap water, and decided upon this dispenser and I'm so glad I did! It's super easy to fill up, fits nicely into the fridge (plus it's my favorite shade of blue, that's a plus right?) and OMG this is what water is supposed to taste like, nothing... pure & clean & crisp (are you sure this is from my tap?) It's wonderful! I find myself happily filling up a glass with water to drink now instead of juice or tea etc.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good filter for home, November 13, 2011
I like this water filter. The water tastes good thanks to the 2 stage filter gets rid of most of contaminants. The 18 cup capacity is just perfect for my Secura 4-Liter Electric Water Boiler and Warmer AirPot, 18/10 Stainless Steel Interior SWB-43G. I have used hand held pitcher filters before,Brita 42629 Slim Pitcher and PUR CR-6000C 2-Stage Oval Water Pitcher with LED Indicator. Both are good products. Brita's filter has a simpler construction and is faster, as a result it does not remove contaminants as thoroughly as Pur does. This does not mean Brita is not a good product, only they are focusing different purposes, and the prices are different.

Some reviews complaint PUR takes longer to filter, it is bad and good as well. You want to give it long enough time so the activated carbon can do its job to absorb the contaminants in the water. In industrial filtration system, positive pressure is used to increase the processing capacity. Home water pitchers only use natural gravity to pull the water through the carbon bed, so do not expect it to have very high flow rate, unless you pack the carbon bed loose. It is a tradeoff between speed and efficiency.

A few thoughts,
1. The water sprout could be better, the water stream is not very well regulated out of the sprout, it splashes around and it's not drip-free. My Secura water boiler does a better job.

2. The plastic is not tough enough, it gets scratched when cleaning the limescale. I was very careful and only use soft cloth. It will be nice if they use glass containers.

3. I would suggest emptying the purified water instead of leaving it in the bottom tank. All the bacteria and contaminants are left inside the filter, it is not a good idea to keep it immersed in your purified water.

4. There is no filter-file indicator, the one I bought years ago had it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe what you read!, April 24, 2006
Amazon Customer (Woodbrige, VA, USA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This is a great Water Filtration System.

We recently moved to the Washington DC area where the water tastes like metal and chlorine. My Fiance is something of a water afficionado, she would rather dehydrate and die than drink what she calls "yucky water", and if it wasn't in a bottle from a store then chances were she wouldn't drink it.

In our last place we had a Brita filter attached to our sink, from our experience and from what I've read, these things, Brita and PUR, have a tendancy to get clogged and break, as was the case with ours.

Also from reading I found out that Brita does not filter out bacteria, not that it's something most people need to worry about in chemically saturated city water but it's always better safe than sorry.

This System fits perfectly in our fridge, it holds a lot more water than some of the others I've seen and doesn't need to be refilled nearly as often because of that.

The water tastes great and even the Water Afficionado will happily guzzle it down.

I noticed a few reviewers complaining that the filters dont inform you of the quality of the water but rather just try to give you an estimate of the filters life and when to replace it.

Thats true and it's also worth noting that none of the consumer level water filters will actually tell you the quality of the water, filtration systems of that nature would be considerably more expensive than these. And would most likely require electronic parts that exceeded the standard red light green light functionality.

Anyway, it works great, the filters seem to have a long life, it fits nicely in the fridge and we're both very happy with the quality of the water that the filter produces. We bought ours over a month ago along with a triple pack of replacement filters and have yet to replace the one that came in the box.

Worth your cash! :)