Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Crown the Empire Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on September 22, 2011
Push Stitchery is a juicy little treasure of a book. It's not a how-to for stitching or a book of embroidery patterns. You won't find a single stitched duck or gingham ruffle among the pages. What you WILL find is an inspiring and hugely diverse collection of stitched artwork from artists around the world.

Everyone uses art books differently. For me, this book is a go-to for mind-blowing examples of how textile artists are pushing their craft. Gorgeous pieces of stitching through slate, stitching on rusted, discarded watering cans and stitching on porcelain are included. But also beautiful quilts depicting nebulas and more representational portraits are featured.

I've only owned the book for 2 weeks and I've already devoured it dozens of times, as have guests to my home. Like a small gallery of textile art available any time you could want it. And Jamie Chalmers is a gracious, open-minded curator. The work he has selected is diverse and varies in the way it challenges the viewer.

One of my two or three favorite art books of the year. Gorgeous book.
on September 8, 2011
This handsome and well designed book is an excellent introduction to the lively world of contemporary embroidery. The artists covered in this book range from self-taught to those with numerous art degrees and university training. Chalmers asks probing questions of each artist which reveals their background and approach to stitching. Chalmer's careful choices for the images for each artist show a clear editorial process.

This book provides a snapshot of a wide variety of artistic expression using not only fabric and traditional embroidery materials, but also shows artists who embroider on metal, on slate with twine, and on the hood of a car.

Brief biographies of all artists are found at the back of the book.

Highly recommended for those interested in contemporary embroidery, who follow artists using traditional and nontraditional materials, and those interested in how women and men are using embroidery to express their artistic vision.
on September 9, 2011
I was so excited when I received my copy of Push Stitchery. The book is beautiful and unusual from the start. Stitched art abounds in this collection. As a cross-stitch fan, I found several artists who used my favorite medium in unusual ways. I love the mixed media pieces, especially the stitching on a shovel, metal can, and even a car door. The porcelain plates with stitcheries mounted on them are interesting too.

Of course there are many beautiful items included in the book - you will want to delve into the book many times - and I bet you find a new favorite each time!

One of my ultimate favorites in the collection is the William Blake portrait created by Bascom Hogue. I have been a fan of his work for several years, yet I am still astounded at the detail he creates in this portrait using strands of embroidery floss.

This is a must purchase for any fan of fiber arts!

With the holidays coming up, it would also make a great gift. Just keep your hands off my copy!
on November 19, 2012
This no ordinary work here. Each artist's work is uber art. The stitching is exquisite and the designs are totally out of the box. This is a small coffee table work of art book in and of itself. There are many examples of breathtaking fiber art.
on September 22, 2011
what a gorgeous book! so many talented stitchers represented. some of the work left me breathless. an inspiring must have for any artist working with thread.
on November 18, 2013
Gorgeous, gorgeous, gorgeous. This book is full of great images of fascinating needlework. I keep it out so I can page through it when I am looking for new ideas or inspiration for my own projects. It's part of a series, and I am curious about the other volumes. Very happy to have it in my home.
on May 5, 2014
The PUSH book series are a great book to start for those who are new to the art for example stitched Art over here or paper cutting.
It is a bit pricey but it comes fully coloured and with lots of coverage on different artists, which allows you to search more about them on the internet if you like a particular artist.
on February 13, 2014
This book is wonderful, I'd recommend it to anyone. It covers a wide range of stitched art and has something to appeal to any aesthetic. Whether you're a seasoned textile artist or completely new to the concept of stitched art, this book will peak your interest and give you new images and ideas to fuel your own creativity.

The book itself is a beautiful addition to any art library, especially with the other two books in the PUSH series.
on May 20, 2012
Who says a needle can be threaded only through paper or cloth? Look through Push Stitchery and you'll see embroidered works created on tough materials like stone and metal: there's stitching through a shovel and cars (Severija Incirauskaite-Kriauneviciene) and found slate (Clyde Olliver). Talk about pushing the boundaries of a traditional craft to create unforgettable art! There is a lot of the unexpected in this book; some of the works may be unappealing to traditional stitchers but I think Jamie Chalmers did a great job as curator.

The book is an interesting and often inspiring gallery of modern embroidered art from artists across the globe. Apart from the pieces made on more unusual substrates, also showcased are works from artists who practise more traditional forms of stitching, though often with a twist that takes their work beyond mere craft into more thought-provoking art pieces. Among those I found most striking were Cayce Zavaglia's embroidered portraits, Rosie James' stitched drawings of street scenes, Penny NIckels' embroidered postage stamps, Tilleke Schwarz's stitched "graffiti" art, Gillian Bates' textile canvases of seaside scenes, Charlene Mullen's blackwork embroidery of London landscapes and Robert Forman's compositions of thread glued to clayboard.

I like the neat design of Lark's Push books - the layout works well for the gallery concept - although I find the interviews with the artists somewhat sketchy. But as an introduction to their work, Push Stitchery doesn't fail to impress. And one thing's for sure: I now look at all materials and objects as a potential stitching surface. The book shows there are no limits to what can be achieved in artistic expression through an old craft form.
on April 12, 2012
I must own dozens - maybe hundreds of stitchery, mixed media, art making, etc books. I haven't been excited about a book like this in ages - but this one grabbed me from the minute I opened it. I had to buy it - and since I'm limiting myself to 2 books a month (and getting rid of a book each time I buy a new one) you better know when I buy a book - it's going to be a good one. I saw it in a local store and couldn't stand to wait to have it shipped - normally I get books through Amazon, but this one was worth buying for full price. (When was the last time I said that?)

This book brings the world of "craft" right where it belongs - in the world of art. Handwork has been devalued forever because it is "women's work." After you see this book, you'll never fall into that mistake again. And not just because a goodly percentage is done by men - the most innovative work is actually done by women - and I do mean stitching on a car door! Wow, just blew me away.

Inspiring, delightful work so full of creativity and imagination that I got out my stuff ready to take up stitching again after an absence of 30 years. Yes, I'm an old time 70s/80s hippy stitcher and when I tucked away my floss and hoops, all those years ago, I would never have thought I'd come back to it. But Push Stitchery is a book that pulls you right back into the art. Just looking at the pictures is a great way to spend an evening. I just plain love it and would recommend it to anyone who enjoys textile work of any sort. Or art - real, down and dirty art. Nope, put down those paint brushes, and roll up your sleeves - this is the real deal.