4.0 out of 5 stars It works, providing you apply the principles
*disclosure notice* I received a 30 day advanced copy of the book in November. I have previously gone through a Jump Start program with Chalene. In essence, this is my second time through the 30 day challenge*

Published on December 22, 2011 by Tonja Davis

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed
Published on January 4, 2012 by JKM

2.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, January 4, 2012
JKM (Honolulu, HI United States) - See all my reviews
I am a huge Turbo Kick fan and love Chalene's energy and spunky sassy style, so I really wanted to like this book. There are some good tips for basic goal setting and dreaming big - gotta appreciate her enthusiasm and zest for life - but a few things just really didn't sit right with me. For one, her comment to really try to stay married if you really love your kids irked me - she further adds that kids of divorce are more likely to be obese (this is obviously complicated issue and there is conflicting data on the subject). It is wonderful that Chalene has a strong marriage, but this jab at those that are in a different situation felt lame and preachy.

Additionally, her recipes were so disappointing. How can anyone call a recipe made with Shakeology, Pudding Mix, and Crystal Light "healthy" - yuck. The other "cleaner" recipes were ridiculous - I don't need to know how to toast a piece of bread or how to bake a sweet potato and sprinkle nutmeg on it (that one she calls "Sweet Potato Pie"). The exercises were all pretty basic too. This might be a good book for someone just beginning to work out and/or find themselves, but it was definitely not for me. I'm still a fan of her work and her energy, she is no doubt a rockin' chick, just not at all a fan of this book.

2.0 out of 5 stars I love me some Chalene, so, with that said..., January 1, 2012
...Chalene loves her some Chalene, too! I am a huge fan of her ChaLEAN Extreme and Turbo Fire workouts so when she sent the word about releasing her PUSH via twitter, of course I was on board! She is extremely motivational in her workouts; it's what separates her from the rest (for me, anyway)!

But this book leaves much to be desired. By the time you get to day two, you can already tell this is about Chalene, and the rest of us are just along for the ride. There are a gazillion pictures of her doing mundane tasks like hopping in her expensive car or putting on her expensive shoes or lounging on her couch listening to music through her headphones (yeah, they're probably expensive, too). By the way, I'm not hating, just don't see the relevance or why these shots were included.

As for the tone of the book? Well, it reads like she's begging you to get your life together. Well, with all due respect, me wanting to get my life together was implied...I mean, I did buy the book, didn't I? So no further coersion is needed. After a while (read: by day 2) it becomes a bit condescending.

Chalene, I love your workouts but as for motivating me to get the life I deserve, well, I'm going to leave that to the good Lord and my own common sense.

3.0 out of 5 stars Can I get a woot woot!, December 28, 2011
If there were not so many pictures of her in the book, it would be half the size. It is written and presented in a very "look at me" style. In my opinion most of what is here is regurgitated material from every other goal setting self help and weight loss\exercise book. If you are a fan of Chalene, then this might be the book for you. If someone asking "Can I get a woot woot!" makes you cringe, then maybe not so much. Most if not all the material in here that would certainly work if you can apply it. I liked the material but not so much the style in which it was presented.

4.0 out of 5 stars It works, providing you apply the principles, December 22, 2011
Tonja Davis (Everett, WA United States) - See all my reviews

Now, with that out of the way. Push! 30 days to Turbocharged Habits, a Bangin' Body, and the Life You Deserve! is more than a mouthful to say, it's also a bit of a bumpy ride and darned intimidating.

What the book is (when used properly):
* An opportunity for soul searching
* A deep introspection of your life, your choices and your priorities
* A challenge to make concrete changes to align your life with your priorities (not someone else's)
* A way to demystify and debunk some of the myths around weight loss

What the book is not:
* A quick fix
* Easy answers
* Predetermined "Step by Step do this then that* diet/fitness book (more on this later)
* Revolutionary (more on this as well)

As I said, this is my second time through Chalene's 30 day program. At the beginning of 2011 there was one flavor of it, the book is a second. The first time through I faithfully applied the principles, followed directions, and met my PUSH goal in 90 days! When you're thinking about making a radical change in your life 9in my case, a change in career) seeing such a dramatic shift in such a short time is downright intimidating. The second time (starting 11/11/11) I did not follow through. I let life be a distraction, I allowed stress to pile up and as a result not only am I no closer to my goal, I'm probably 2 steps behind where I started. Is this all because of the book? No. It's because I didn't do anything.

I said the book isn't revolutionary and it's not. The information and ideas here can be found half a dozen different places if you read enough. What Chalene does do is put a "Larry Winget" type spin on it - which is to say, she presents the information differently. She presents goal setting, personal value statements, mission statements and health and fitness differently than it has been presented before. If you don't get S.M.A.R.T goals or you can set those goals until you're blue in the face but don't know how move beyond goals, PUSH! is for you. Chalene makes the whole process accessible and easy to understand.

As for the diet and fitness portion, it is not a step by step do this step day 1- day 90 book. What it does do is helps you determine what workout you'd like to do because when you find your "soulmate workout" then you will find something that works (for you) and you will reach your goals. Again, not revolutionary, but if you've never done it or you've no clue what you like, having the benefit of guided instruction will help you.

So why only 4 stars? Don't buy this book thinking it will change your life. If you're not willing to buckle down and APPLY the principles, the book is going to be a waste for you. But, if you want a change in your life, if the other things you've read just haven't made sense to you and if you'd benefit from things being broken down just a bit more and if you're willing to do the work and the exercises, then pick up the book. You've got absolutely nothing to lose.

4.0 out of 5 stars Be prepared to PUSH yourself, January 12, 2012
I love Chalene. I love her energy and enthusiasm and she is truly motivational and a great example. Her positive energy shines throughout the book. Unlike other reviewers, I actually like seeing her pictures. The book is beautiful with all the colorful pictures.

The program in this book is very aggressive and requires a lot of hard work. If a person is committed to putting in the work I think great results can be achieved in all aspects of life. I agree with other reviewers, though, that her free 30-day online program (with videos) could produce the same results.

Several times Chalene mentions eating disorders. I believe she is sensitive to the serious nature of eating disorders and encourages sufferers to get professional help. She stated, or implied, in several instances that a person with an eating disorder needs more help than what she suggests in the book (for the particular goal she was discussing), which I appreciate. My favorite passage in the entire book is on page 199 under "Find a Therapist": "For the food addict, cravings are as powerful and life altering as those an alcoholic or drug addict experiences. Joining a support group or reorganizing your pantry is like putting a bandage on a hemorrhaging wound. Not going to cut it. If you have demons, unresolved issues that continue like a beach ball to surface despite your best efforts to push them below the surface, I urge you to find a qualified individual to help you." She gets it! With that said, for some people this book may not be enough. Some may need to dig deeper.

I gave it four stars instead of five for these two reasons:

1. There were MANY grammatical or typographical errors. Very distracting. It gave me the feeling that she was in a hurry to finish the book without putting a lot of thought into it. (That probably wasn't the case but that's the impression I got). Definitely needed proofreading! It lost some professionalism and credibility for me.

2. When the book was first released there were quite a few (5-star) reviews already written. I read them all. I also recognized them all as employees of Beachbody or Powder Blue Productions (Chalene's company). Most of them are Beachbody coaches (easily verified on Facebook). I guess I can't blame Chalene for enlisting the help of her Beachbody associates to put in a good word for her in order to increase sales. But I wonder if she paid them or offered them some perks in order to do so. The fact that these positive reviews were written by unobjective reviewers actually negated their value for me. I would have preferred to see one or two genuine, impartial good reviews as opposed to a large number of reviews from people that were possibly "assigned" to write them.

All in all, a good book with a lot of good content.

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of book PUSH, February 26, 2014
This review is from: PUSH: 30 Days to Turbocharged Habits, a Bangin' Body, and the Life You Deserve! (Kindle Edition)
I read the book PUSH a while back and just haven't had a chance to write a review.
I do like her open dialogue throughout the book and felt very "girl next door". I do like the part about writing a priority statement with which to identify your goals and how you set boundaries with other people , this helped me quite a bit during my brief stint as a fitness instructor. I think she identifies some great tools for brainstorming, not holding back and identifying goals and how to reverse engineer one's goals. I liked the exercises and a few of the recipes in the back. Some of them were so basic I was a bit shocked they were considered as a part of the book.

I did not like the many many large pictures of Chalene simply performing tasks that really did not seem to serve any purpose to her message. Honestly I felt like I Had to read the book because I thought I wanted to go on this career path with her company and even though she kept saying it wasn't a "diet" book, for the most part it most definitely was a diet book. Yes, there was some goal setting, but it was mostly about fitness and dieting. Personally, felt the book slowly began to unravel and I began to loss interest. It seemed very hurried with lots of "picture filler" and common sense information (after the reverse engineering).

I do think that the overall theme of the book was good and her heart was in the right place about helping people.

Honestly, I like -Turbo Jam, Turbo Fire Turbo Kick part Chalene's personality the best. I guess what I find confusing is in the book referred to Brian Tracy telling her to not "go all Hollywood" and as of right now, she has "gone all Hollywood." I do not know maybe that's what happens when you get a "banging body" (I didn't care for that verbiage at all)

Maybe off topic, maybe she could care less what people who were her followers at one time think anymore, but
I stopped following her because the humility combined with that beautiful confidence she had during her Turbo Days seems to have vanished. I know she incessantly posts that she nor should anyone who wants to be successful should care what people think, and I absolutely to some degree, agree with those statements. I do think you have to shrug off haters to PUSH forward, absolutely. However, if the really GOOD PARTS of a person are being sucked into vanity and there seems to be a lack of realism or sincerity in their demeanor, I as that person would want to know if I were sending that message. That's my personal opinion. I think that she is /was such
a fabulous instructor,and I'm trying to write a review that doesn't come across as hateful.
I would want to know if it were me.
Overall, I think she is fabulous instructor is beyond amazing as a fitness expert. Even thought I'm not teaching, I still do Turbo and it never gets old. I LOVE Turbo. I get a little miffed when she claims to an expert at 25 different other areas. You can be an expert some things but trying to be an expert at everything, spreads you so thin, you just don't seem to appear real to me anymore.

Keeping it real!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for those who want to make change!, July 10, 2014
I just recently ordered this book and also am going through her online 30 day challenge program. I am finding this book and program (both cover the same material) excellent and very helpful to getting back on track with being intentional about everything you do in life. Maybe most of the information isn't new or rocket science for people, but it really walks you through getting organized again, setting goals and making plans to move forward in every area of life that is out of balance.

Some of the reviews stated she put too many pictures of herself in the book....to address this, there is approximately 25 photos of herself out of an entire 284 page book. I think the photos are there mostly to add energy and pop to the book. It makes it look more appealing and colorful to the consumer. I am not bothered at all by the pictures or feel that there is too many.

If you just want to 'read' the book and not follow through with her homework challenges, then you probably won't get anything from this book. It isn't a book just designed to read through and not apply the principals taught. It would be a potential waste of time for any person who just reads it and doesn't do the chapter exercises. I personally am keeping a journal that I am logging all her daily challenges in. I complete one day at a time as the book was designed and am feeling so much more motivation in life to not let go of dreams and goals but to make them happen! :)

In fact, I grabbed my husband after I started through this, and now we are doing it together. We plan on setting goals personally, as a family and then for all the things we lead outside of our household. I am also planning on taking my kids through some of the principals and have them start now (elementary ages) with goal setting for their life.

I highly recommend this book to anyone!

3.0 out of 5 stars Chalene's 30-Day PUSH, December 24, 2011
I just got my book yesterday, but I did order the e-book in advance (which I haven't even looked at) AND I also went through the free 30-day program she released in January of this year. Chalene definitely practices what she preaches! This book is great for anyone who truly wants to make a change in their health and life - but you MUST apply the principles being taught. If you don't DO the work, you won't CHANGE your habits. It's not a quick fix book, so if that's what you're looking for, don't buy it. It won't change your life just by reading it!

On the down side...honestly, I didn't care for all the pictures of herself in the book - minus the ones demonstrating the exercises, I think it was over the top and wasted pages. Sorry but it added nothing helpful to the book. I do feel that I was duped into purchasing the e-book in advance for $29.95 when it is being offered here for $16.00. I'm rather disappointed by that fact even though it was explained that the book offered a bit more than the videos/e-book it seems the only differences are the included exercises and recipes in the book. I saw where some people got the e-book and the hard copy for $6.95 but I never saw that option offered in any of Chalene's videos or on her website.

I will read the book and put most of what she teaches into practice regarding my health and fitness, but not sure what I'll do with the rest of it. I seriously wish I would have just waited to purchase the hard copy book for $16.00 and saved myself some money.

2.0 out of 5 stars Has some good ideas, poorly executed, January 11, 2012
I am about midway through the book and process, and have read the book front to back to get a sense of what I was in for.

I love Chalene's workouts, however she is NOT a good writer. While following any program for 30 days is a good way to get started on your goals, the book doesn't provide any new insights into time management, goal setting etc that much better books like the Seven Habits of Highly Effective People already does with more clarity and readability.

Her book is difficult to read and is not always clear about what she wants you to do for each step or day. You have to find instructions buried somewhere inside a long-winded story about one of her snowboarding trips, for example.

In short, this book has some good ideas (mostly borrowed from other experts) with a decent 30 day program... if you can skim through the long-winded personal stories to find the actual instructions.

I will complete the 30 day challenge because... well... I am committed and goal-setting can never be harmful.

Chalene, next time get a good ghost writer and edit, edit, edit!

Also, less pictures of yourself! I don't want to look at you on every other page of the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars That is what it will do - Push you!!!, June 15, 2014
This book is the exact program as Chalene's 30-Day Challenge. Look online for the program, it is completely free. I completed the online challenge 2 months ago! The daily to-do list has changed my life! Read this book over a month, one section for each day. Also has exercises and recipes. This is a total life makeover, changer, pusher! Get this book!!!