5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, but took some adaptation to get me there...
Published on February 13, 2012 by Paul D.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good touchscreen monitor, but...
Published 22 months ago by T Henderson

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Works great, but took some adaptation to get me there..., February 13, 2012
This review is from: PX2230MW Touchscreen LCD Monitor - 22" - Optical - 1920 x 1080 - 16:9 - 0.248mm - Black (Personal Computers)
After working with two monitors for a short period of time I discovered that I love the ability to work (word processing, internet research, document reading, etc.) on my laptop while being able to view my Outlook (calendar, email and contacts) on a second screen to my right. I also found that I hated having to move my mouse cursor (I use a wireless mouse rather than my laptop's touch pad) over to the second monitor to work on Outlook. I thought about getting a touchscreen monitor so I could just reach over to the touchscreen monitor to scroll though my email, contacts and calendar so my cursor would stay in place on my laptop. I ordered the Planar based on the reviews, and after setting it up I found out it didn't quite work the way I wanted. First, I learned that the Planar wants to be the primary monitor. When I set it as the secondary monitor and I touched on the Planar screen, I was actually controlling my laptop screen. That didn't seem to be right so I called Palnar customer support. They first told me that Windows 7 will only allow the Planar to be the primary monitor. I told the Planar guy that if that was the case I may as well send it back. He then told me that some folks were able to "get it to work" as the secondary monitor which would then allow the touchscreen to work as I desired. He made it sound like some kind of work around. He talked me into Windows' Control Panel where there is a feature called Tablet PC that allows you to select which monitor will have the touchscreen function. It is not a "work around" or "get it to work" function as was expressed by the Planar support, but a simple setting change. I did the change and viola, I use the Planar as my second screen and when I touch my email it allows me to scroll and use Outlook just like I wanted. The scroll feature works great. It is just like an iPad, I can flick through my email, double tap to open an email, tap into a field and type my search term, etc. That part works fantastic.

BUT, another problem cropped up. I learned that when I touched the Planar to look at email, my cursor jumped over to the second monitor and I then had to find it and move it back to my laptop screen. That seemed to defeat the very reason I bought the touchscreen. Again I was ready to pack it up and return it. (I didn't really notice this problem during my first call with Planar as I was playing on the touchscreen to make sure that that my finger was controlling the Planar and not my laptop.) I then made a second call to Planar. I wanted to control the Planar with my touch while my cursor stayed on my laptop. I was told it wouldn't work that way in Windows 7 - that Windows 7 would not allow "two cursors," which is what he said I as wanting to do. That made sense, but there sure seemed to be a better solution. Again, I was ready to pack it up for a return. But, the Planar guy told me that there are third party applications that will create a "second" mouse on your computer. Some do it virtually and some will allow an actual second mouse and keyboard to be plugged in and used. (I can't imagine why you would want a second keyboard plugged into a computer, but with two monitors you could actually have two people work on one computer each with their own mouse and keyboard on dual monitors.) The Planar guy googled a few search terms with me and I ended up on download.com at a page for TeamPlayer. The product is by an outfit called "wonderworks." Their website addy is as you would expect. I downloaded TeamPlayer for free and am now able to touch the Planar while my cursor stays on my laptop. I am also able to have my laptop's touchpad control the Planar with a second cursor point on the Planar while my wireless mouse pointer controls the laptop.

All said, after the setup it, it now works exactly like I want it. I can work on my laptop, and then touch my Outlook on the Planar to look through my calendar, email, etc. The touch function is superb. Even when I double click on an email to open and reply it pops up on my laptop for me to type in front of me. I am pleased. I don't know the cost of the TeamPlayer software as it is a free version that I downloaded. I'll let you know if it times me out in a month and requires a purchase. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed.

UPDATE: The TeamPlayer software is a 30 day free trial. I will provide another update when the trial period runs out as to the cost and/or if I am able to locate a free alternative.

UPDATE: The TeamPlayer software is cost prohibitive to purchase. It also had a flaw in the functionality. When using the TeamPlayer double cursor the reaction time was very slow. The cursor crawled across the screen and I was unable to figure out how to increase the speed, despite having the speed setting on its highest setting in the tools.

UPDATE: Since the TeamPlayer was insanely expensive (~$500 wtf?), I've gotten used to it not working exactly like I hoped. I still use the Planar for Outlook and my laptop for everything else. I usually touch the Planar for Outlook and move the cursor back to my laptop screen with my wireless infrared mouse. One other problem I discovered is that because the Planar is such a high resolution screen the font on the reading pane of Outlook is really small. I've read that the small font is the result of the hi-res. Things get really sharp so the screen reduces the size and puts more text in the overall window. Of course old age makes it hard to read without squinting. You can increase the font, but Outlook won't allow the changes to stick. You have to increase the font with every change to a new email window or reading pane. I found a third party software company, Sperry Software, that sells an add-in for Outlook called Zoom Email for Outlook that creates a permanent setting to keep your font increased in the reading pane and in your email window. Otherwise, you have to increase the font each time you change emails, which is a pain. The Sperry product was only $4.95. BTW, the Sperry support is offshore but very helpful. For some reason my purchase key reset to trial mode and they helped me get it back. On the plus side, when opening a PDF file - and I get lots of them - the Planar is fantastic. The PDF fills the screen and you can flick though it with our finger and reading is a breeze. Iv'e also added Multi-Monitor task bar which is a freebie and adds a task bar to to Planar. There is not a task bar without the add-in of Multi-Monitor. Just Google MultiMon TaskBar. Thanks for the thumbs up on my review.

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful screen, good-looking hardware, great touch functionality (Windows 7), September 22, 2011
Seth C. Short (Portland, OR United States) - See all my reviews
We got a batch of these monitors at work. We use touchscreens all the time for interactive kiosks. These monitors' touch capabilities are some of the best we've ever seen. Very sensitive. Works out of the box with Windows 7, without needing any drivers or software installed. We haven't done any calibration or anything and haven't noticed any trouble with accuracy with the default settings.

We used this side-by-side with an HP all-in-one touchscreen PC, and the usage was almost night-and-day. This one is quick, reactive, and barely requires any touch at all.

The only issue I've encountered is that if you click-and-hold, the mouse pointer doesn't move to the spot you're holding on until you release it. This is fine for all Windows use, but was causing some issues with our interactive software that relies on holds for functionality. HOWEVER, if you start to drag, it instantly works properly. So I think this issue is a special case to our specific software.

As for the screen quality, this one is nice and bright, accurate colors, deep blacks. There's a bit of dimming when looking at it from a side angle, but nothing atypical for an LCD panel.

The bezel, frame, and mount work great in our applications. Because it uses feet at the bottom of the front bezel and with an a-frame style back bracket, it's very stable at every angle, including tilted upwards for use while standing. This makes it a great choice for kiosks, work tables, kitchens, etc. Although I can't speak to water or dustproofing on this. :)

All in all, a great, large screen with very nice touch, at a very reasonable price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Good touchscreen monitor, but..., November 2, 2012
The monitor is clear, bright, vibrant and the touch capabilities work ok. The multitouch pinch function is not as smooth as on a tablet such as the Samsung Galaxy Tab, but otherwise it works fine. My biggest issue is with the edges of the screen. On tablets and phones you get a smooth, flat touch surface that extends from the screen all the way to the edges of the device. There's no plastic beveled edge to get in the way when swiping from the sides. This monitor has a fairly thick plastic casing all the way around it as most monitors do. This is fine for a regular monitor, but I bought this to use with Windows 8 which utilizes the CORNERS of the screen to access many functions. It is very difficult to get your finger to the corner of the screen to swipe in and get the functions to appear. To be fair, this may be a Windows problem with active touch zones, but if you're buying this monitor to use with Windows 8, be aware of this issue.

addendum: this is a resistive screen, meaning it can be activated by touching it with various objects, not just your finger, and it's quite sensitive. I've tried a pencil eraser, piece of wood, marker cap, ball of paper and it all works. In fact, I brushed the screen lightly with a piece of paper as I was moving things on my desk, and it moved an icon from one side of the screen to the other.

5.0 out of 5 stars Used for a kitchen touch-screen computer, June 30, 2011
Love it. Wife was pissed I spent money on a specialized touch-screen monitor for the kitchen, yet she uses it EVERY DAY and definitely likes having a computer in the kitchen. I'd buy this again in a heart beat. Touch screen accuracy is a bit off most of the time (even after multiple attempts at calibration & cleaning) but it's close enough and works really well despite this. My daughter LOVES microsoft paint with this monitor. :o)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great monitor for "general" touch aplications..., August 30, 2012
... But not for anything that needs pixel by pixel level precision. Buy a wacom tablet for that.

* Length of ownership/usage: 3 years
* Level of technical understanding of hardware involved: VERY HIGH. I have many touch screens on many different devices, and I do lots of research into each monitors underlying tech before I purchased them.
* Way i use this monitor: As a secondary with programs on it that utilize medium to large buttons. things like task manager, web browsers, music players, remote command programs for the gaming server i host. Occasionally i will swap it with my main monitor when i need to do something that requires more "physical contact" with a programs contents.

----------------------------
My personal take on this monitor (skip past this to "key points" if you just want the facts 'sans' the personal experiences):

As I stated before, I use this monitor as a secondary. I originally bought it as my primary monitor and it served in that capacity for 1 1/2 years. I only moved it to the secondary position when I purchased a newer high end monitor with better gaming options since I am less into pro photo work then I used to be.

Operating system support and driver support is good. Windows vista/7 automatically loads its own internal multi-touch drivers and privides good calibration tools. windows XP can use it but only in single touch mode, and recognizes it as a standard mouse, not a touch screen. Linux also only reads it as a mouse only device. I have never tried using it on a Mac, since I don't own one, but I would imagine it will at the least load as a standard mouse.

The image quality is bright, crisp, clean, and has great color/contrast reproduction. Video and photo work are this monitors primary focus and it works well in that capacity. However the touch screen IS NOT useful for image editing unless you limit your self to doodling. That being said, the touch screen works perfectly well when you just need to push onscreen buttons or move elements around on the screen. just be very careful touching around the upper right hand corner, since the accuracy drops off in the corners, and you might close something you hadn't yet saved.

Calibration is done via windows (or whatever operating system you might use). Just to be clear, NO amount of calibration will resolve the inaccuracy issues in the corners and at the very edges. nor will it solve the "two finger aligning" problem. These are problems inherent to almost all optical touch screens. However, if you learn to watch your self in the corners and the edges and be observant of what is actually happening on the screen when using two fingers, then these issues are really negligible when compared to the many useful things you can do with this touch screen.

Personally I am glad I have this monitor simply for the way it allows Me to physically organize My windows and icons on the screen. There is something very natural feeling about being able to rearrange onscreen objects with your hands.

The bottom line: Its a no fuss utility level touchscreen with photo grade image quality. Buy it if you want a good consumer level photo editing monitor with the added functionality of a touch screen. BUT, if you want to use this for a touch only desktop that requires a good level of accuracy, this probably wont be the monitor for you.

----------------------------
Key Points:

Pros:
* Great image quality, good contrast with excellent color reproduction, AFTER a proper calibration of course. (Always calibrate your monitor before doing pro photo work!)
* Multi-Touch works great despite a few caveats.
* Included stylus for more precise usage.
* Proper vesa mount points.
* Driver support is good from XP-W7. Automatically Loads as a generic "mouse" for compatibility on devices that do not support its particular multi-touch hardware drivers but only supports single touch input in this mode. (ie windows xp or linux)
* Full 1920x1080x48bit @ 75hz support over a DVI-I dual-link cable. Remember, DVI-I is the best type of dvi port to have since it integrates both analogue and digital signals into the same dual-link connector allowing for the best compatibility options with the best possible image quality options. The cable you use matters however, since the cheaper cables will only support 24bit color. To make sure you get the best cable (and thus image quality), make sure it has all the pins on each end. If it looks like half the pins are missing, compared to the pin holes on the monitors dvi connector, then its a single link cable and will have poorer image quality.

Cons:
* Poor accuracy in corners or on the very edge of the screen, even with the stylus. This Makes it hard to hit the right button when minimizing/maximizing/"X"-ing out of a program. Thus accidentally closing a program without saving the current file is a real risk.
* VGA port rendered useless because no monitor info is sent threw it to the pc, and thus only supports standard resolutions (and not its max res) via VGA. *Still works in a pinch!*
* Optical multi-touch tech is a poor replacement for a capacitive (ie: ipad screen style touch screen) and even a restive touch screen is capable of better acuracy.
* Multi-touch via optical infrared tracking has some strange bugs when using two fingers. for example in paint, when drawing two lines with two fingers occasionally the optical sensors along the edges get confused when your fingers align either vertically or horizontally and will either swap the lines being drawn between the two fingers or stop drawing one of them. This "finger align" problem effects pinch to zoom, and any other two+ finger actions.
* Single dead pixel on the one i received. The pixel is only one third dead, ie: the blue and green channels are good but the red is toast on that one pixel, and is barely noticeable.
* No hdmi port. not a real detractor, since this is intended to be used as a professional work tool were hdmi is should not be used, but its always a nice extra. (You should be using a loss-less signal like DVI-I which this monitor supports, especially if your using it for photo or video work).

Hopefully this all helps you make an informed decision!

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice image quality, July 4, 2012
When my old flatscreen monitor bit the dust I thought I should buy a touch screen because the touch optimzed Windows 8 is coming this fall, and I thought I'd kick myself had I *not* gotten a touch screen. This monitor was reasonably priced with a decent resolution and good reviews so I gave it a spin. The image quality is fine, no complaints. The monitor itself looks good on the desktop. The touch function works in Windows 7, but for accuracy a fat finger is no match for a mouse. I'm running a Windows 8 preview in a virtual machine. The touch function works there too, if somewhat sluggishly, probably due to running in a VM. At some point, I'll build a dedicated Windows 8 machine and we'll see how it runs then. As far as touch, this is a 2 point touch monitor. I see where Planar has just released a multi touch monitor at double the price, this is certainly not multi touch, and this monitor should not be confused with the screen on a smart phone or tablet, it's not in that league. As a two finger touch monitor in Windows 7 it's sort of a novelty, and I really don't use the touch so much. I could see it being useful at point of sale or in the kitchen, but for a regular desktop, no need, really. The image is good though.

5.0 out of 5 stars This now works with Windows 8, June 6, 2012
I purchased this for my multi screen work set up so I could test having a touch screen as my main monitor and this works great!

UPDATE on 11/7/12 I just installed Windows 8 and this monitor does not have a driver for WIndows 8 on the manufacturor web site and it does not work as a touchscreen with Windows 8

Another Update. I got hold of customer service via chat and they remoted in and fixed it. Back to loving it

5.0 out of 5 stars better than excellent touch screen monitor, March 20, 2012
I bought this monitor, and expected a poor experience, because of the price. I knew it would be touch screen, but I assumed it would not be that great. I could not have been more wrong. This monitor is the most precise touch screen I've ever used in my life. it's easy to set up and use with windows 7 Ultimate. just plug it in to the usb and it's ready to go! its also easy to turn off the touch screen, if say you, like myself have touchy young children, simply unplug the usb, and it becomes a regular monitor. I can't believe the price for this monitor. I nearly paid twice as much for one I tested that was not near as nice as this one is. I didn't even have to calibrate it. I've already recommended this monitor to a few people, at least one of which I know intends to buy one.

5.0 out of 5 stars Touchscreen Monitor, November 8, 2011
It has performed very nicely with Windows 7 just as promised and we really like how fun it is to use with the touchscreen functions.

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Touch Screen Monitor, March 24, 2012
This is a very good monitor with good picture quality and resolution. The only downside, it is relatively expensive. If you have used touch screen in Windows 7 and it works for you, then this monitor should work for you.I found touch screen in Windows 7 to be gimmicky and unusable, but if you use touch screen then it is worth the cost. This 22 inch Planar monitor is better value than 23.5 inch Planar Systems, PXL2430MW - 23.5" wide black (Catalog Category: Monitors / LCD Panels- 20" to 29") because the size difference barely makes difference in use.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›