Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on January 28, 2013
This is my down and dirty review of this kick #$$ pa speaker. It is just a mean little unit- controls right on it- hardcore sound- super portable and sounds tasty! You can use it as a stand alone for a small gig or extend what you got in the way of sound by adding it to an array. My fave thing is being able to play music from a memory stick which means i can just drop in my usb card and walk away without worrying about getting my laptop/ipod jacked at a party. check it!
33 comments| 52 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on September 18, 2013
If you are hoping for similar sound quality, build quality and durability as the JBL EON, Yamaha MSR, Mackie Thump or QSC K-series, then you may be disappointed. But at 25% to 50% the cost, what do you expect?

I needed something to get me through a birthday party with a bunch of old fogies (like me) who don't know a dB from a Hz and couldn't care less; and so, at $153 I simply couldn't resist the urge to try the PPHP103MU. It's not great, but it's pretty darned okay.

HITS: Pyle had done a good job differentiating this product from the rest of the crowd based upon price and nifty features:
- Built-in MP3 player with a full suite of clearly-labeled control buttons, and nice legible LED display. The player reads from either SDHC cards or thumb drives.
- 3.5mm mini-stereo jack for directly connecting a personal media player or PC. NO ADAPTER NEEDED.
- switchable mains power for international use
- plenty loud

MISSES: (I almost hate to list any given the price)
- noisy microphone preamp
- no phantom power (for condenser microphones)
- very short power MAINS power cord (threw it away)
- 1/4" Line Output jack is way too loose. When I plugged in a TRS cable it popped right back out with just the slightest tug. This is not normal.
- uneven sound coverage. The hotspots appear to be on-axis and 30-45 degrees off-axis.

CONCLUSION: Neat product for the money. Typical consumers will probably be pleased; whereas, prosumers and pros most likely will not.
on July 12, 2012
We do outside music for parties occasionally, and the periodic outdoor movie with the kids' friends. This box is big enough to make great sound, but light enough to carry and small enough to port around. Plugged my iPhone into the aux jack and it worked great. Haven't used it for a mic yet.
on June 18, 2015
For the price and features, you won't find a better sounding package.

PROS: This active speaker kicks! It has plenty of gain for use outdoors. The mixer on the back of the speaker has options of connecting a mic and musical instrument...or iPhone....or mp3 player....or DVD, CD player....or USB/SD card! One thing that's overlooked in other reviews is the REMOTE! The ability to set your volume on the back at a higher level, but control or mute it from the remote is slick. Playing back from the USB drive, if you don't like a song, you can advance to the next tune, whether .mp3 or .wav. The remote also allows you to select from pre-programmed EQs. The speaker also has a slot underneath for mounting on a speaker stand.

CONS: The audio is summed into a mono signal. It is not stereo. For home theater use it would matter, but when using it outdoors that isn't an issue. The USB/SD player is straightforward. I tried building playlists, but it only recognizes audio files. It will play single songs, chronologically or random. If you have more than one folder, it doesn't allow you access folders.

The best method for building your library is to get an inexpensive USB drive and fill it with songs you like and set it to 'random'.
on November 14, 2013
I own a mobile DJ company in OKC. I got this little speaker for sound at wedding ceremonies. Two weeks later it has got me through a few pinches. I have used it at three ceremonies and at one event they needed sound for a projector and I set it up right next to the computer and it filled a room with 450 people. I was impressed, I hope it works for a long time. Also, compared to my 15" it is amazing carrying it around.
on October 24, 2015
This item is enticing. I have used the Pyle Pro "Sm57" clones and I'm happy with them. I use this as a vocal monitor. Seeing how all other powered monitors that have a 10" driver are triple the price, I needed something quick so I went with this one for the price ... the sound is about a 6 out of 10.
As with all mid-level monitors, theres a big bump in the mid-range and sounds a little "boxy". There is an onboard Treble / Bass eq which is nice and adequate. There are some cool features on this item but the #1 thing I"m concerned about is sound quality. If the sound quality was just a TAD bit nicer, I'd up-vote this. If you're doing small gigs and need a monitor on the cheap ... get this. If you're doing this for a living and might use this as a FOH speaker ... I'd go to the local store and take a listen to this first before buying. Its not horrible. Its not stellar like the QSC K10 series.
on February 16, 2016
Having read the reviews and per a recommendation from a professional Audio engineer, I am proud to say this 10 inch gem was the life of the party. I was tossed between the 10 inch and the 12 inch version, but I went with the 10 inch based on its weight, size and need to fill a VFW sized hall. If you're looking to fill the room with a ton of bass, go bigger... this unit, when mounted high on a tripod stand, was PERFECT for what I wanted, the ability to import a microphone with an XLR cable, music on a USB flash drive, connect to an iPod and also connect to my android phone using cables to attach to the RCA inputs and to the iPod input. The XLR connection does not provide phantom power so be aware of that but a standard dynamic microphone sounds great through the system. I used this for a kids birthday party and was able to play music from various sources as the day and evening went on. For those of you who don't feel like dragging around a soundboard, mixer and a ton of equipment this is the little beast you will want! Portable and lightweight, it gets the job done with nothing fancy and no major frills, it just works great! Also comes with a remote control which they don't mention, for advancing songs on the USB Drive, and also on the SD card input. I would definitely buy another speaker system from them in a heartbeat, perhaps this time I would go with the 12 inch, could use just a tinge more bass but I love this thing and will certainly be pulling it out for all kinds of upcoming events!
on August 27, 2013
So, I'm back to update my review. Again, this is a good/descent powered speaker for the price giving it 5 stars since it is a performing beautifully! The distortion (humming noise) is no longer present using a different laptop. My old laptop was the culpret. It has a bad sound card or built-in speakers which was creating the distortion.

We were experiencing distortion between the new Pyle-pro PPHP103MU powered speakers connected to a mixer (now using RCA Jacks and not the a 3.5mm Stereo Male to Two RCA Male Splitter Cable) and from the mixer connected to a laptop computer powered by a wall outlet (120V/household voltage). I use my laptop's playlist for music selection and noticed with the power cord plugged into the laptop is when we get the static like distortion coming through the speaker.

Other than that, I got the unit quicker than estimated (less than 2 days...cudos to Amazon supply house) and the speaker is basically good. It's a nifty little unit and is user friendly considering the adjustments that can be made to enhance the sound coming out of it. In other words, it has plenty of treble and bass (how much or how little is up to you).

Simply put, the speaker thumps/rocks music more than adequately and to the point where I feel I could disturb the neighbors if left between the 5 to7 point volume position too long (10 being the highest setting on all adjustment knobs).

It easily accepts I-pods and smartphones (with no distortion) and music plays exceptionally well with these devices. Again, also with no distortion when these devices are plugged into the unit. I gather because there's no external power source being used (120V wall outlet).

So, overall I now rated this unit five stars. I did find a easy fix to abate the distortion or humming noise when I have the speaker hook-up as described above. All I had to do was use a different laptop. Would I buy it again or recommend it as a buy? Yes!
11 comment|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 20, 2016
Purchased these speakers to be used in our cafeteria/large conference room at work. They are connected to a Behringer mixer and the sound is great! People are able to hear the person speaking with clarity and when music is played with them they sound great!
on December 13, 2012
I bought two of these for use at home parties, music, as well as when we use our projector for movies in the back yard. They arrived in good shape and seemed to be packaged OK. I know others have had problems with that but mine made it on good shape. Mine came with remotes but didn't include the microphone that the Pyle web site talks about. I also got the speaker stands and travel bag to get them off the ground, XLR Cables and a 3.5mm to XLR adaptor.

The sound: They generally sound good but are not flawless. There is a difference in sound quality between the two, one is more muffled than the other. I tried adjusting the highs and wound up having to turn one of them down to match them up. Kind of annoying because they don't sound crisp like I think they should. Most people would not even know but I do. The base is OK, not great but not bad either. They are a simple 10" woofer, not a sub, so the response is limited in how low it will go.

Function: These have alot of inputs, USB, 1/4, XLR, MIC - XLR, 3.5mm and that is one of the reasons that I got these. For simple parties (not DJ kind) you can put a memory stick in the USB and hit play and away they go. I have not tried to pair them, ie one providing input to the other and doubt I will. Plan is to put one in the house and another in the back yard and volume where they don't interfere with each other. I did notice when I connected them to my MacBook through the 3.5mm output to XLR I got quite alot of feedback / hum. I checked all the connections and even re-soldered some suspected connection points inside the XLR connector but didn't make any difference. One friend suggested that it could be my XLR's are not shielded?

Update, I have since tried the "Line Out" connecting the speakers in series with one XLR to the 1st speaker and a phono to XLR to the next speaker. Just as in other reviews it didn't work. It plays sound but the sound is very low. I also tried to use the USB port with the 1st speaker with the line out - Phono to XLR and got the same low sound level. Im not sure if there is some trick to this that I'm missing.

Conclusion: They are good speakers for the price and all the connections and functions are great for versatility. I think I did well for my budget and usage which is only about 2 or 3 times per year. I really like the USB functions because you can set them up and play background music with one plug. They worked great with the projector and a movie in the back yard, your kids will love that as mine sure did. They have plenty of power for most of what I do and will never need to turn them up much. I am no professional, just having fun, so these work good for me.
66 comments| 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse