Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Adele Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors

on March 2, 2008
I use an airbrush daily and I was needing a larger poster style airbrush and my 1960's Thayer and Chandler brush is worn out and in need of retirement. I've heard many good things about Paasche brushes from fellow painters so I took the plung and ordered this airbrush kit mainly because of the bottle sizes it offered.

After receiving this brush I was extremely disappointed. The quality was much worse than I had expected. I had to hone and polish the action to make it smooth because the machining on it was very poor and it was rough and dragging. The ergonomics of this brush is horrible! The hose is mounted so close to the bottle and the handle is so poorly designed that I have to wrap my fingers around the paint bottle when I use it rather than holding it like a pencil. The handle is so thick and tapers so quickly that it is very awkward and uncomfortable. This is not a brush that would easily support the kind of detail work that would be expected of any double action brush nor one that you could use for any length of time.

Also, the hose connector is an unusual thread and doesn't fit any of my other brushes which all have graciously come with a standard thread connector. I have to use the provided hose as a dedicated hose with its own quick disconnect just for this brush. That in itself is a problem since the hose that came with this kit is fairly short and very stiff for an airbrush hose and continues to maintain the bends reflecting how it was stored in the shipping box even after being hung straight with weights for many days.

On the positive side, this brush does seem to spray pretty well and handles a variety of paint viscosities. I'll keep this brush only for an emergency backup or for use on a paint that may destroy a better brush. I would not recommend this brush for any serious airbrusher or anyone seriously considering airbrushing as a hobby.
55 comments|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 21, 2015
Very good air brush. I originally purchased a less expensive air brush from Harbor Freight when I started air brushing but had problems with detail. This unit with the three size tips allows me to be a lot more creative and the tips are easy to change. Not an expensive air brush but seems to work very well. I use Createx air brush paints with it for painting the fishing lures I make.
review image
on January 21, 2012
I have many years experience with this airbrush. I have seen later versions and they aren't as well made as 30 or forty years ago. But, they are nevertheless very good for beginning artist, because they stand up to rugged use. Also the parts aren't so small that you can't easily clean and reassemble the airbrush. The biggest issue with learning to airbrush is troubleshooting problems when they don't work properly. I have written a tutorial on How to Keep Your Airbrush Working. I think you will find it helpful. Just Google: How to Keep Your Airbrush Working. It's on HubPages.
on January 5, 2015
I use this setup for duracoating (look it up) and have had great success. be smart and clean your equipment after use and you wont have issues. only thing I don't really like is the canister tops seem really hard to clean well.
on April 30, 2016
Yes, it's true I have no prior airbrush experience, but:
I expected it to be easier to use in general, mechanically if not ergonomically as well;
There is nothing smooth about the trigger, despite much reading and studying, many adjustments, full dis- and re-assemblings, cleaning and lube, much practice and more practice - the trigger never gets any smoother - fine adjustments of the trigger pull seem impossible due to the trigger's roughness and heavy pull. Once the trigger's resistance is overcome, then it's very difficult to achieve anything but a full-blast trigger pull;
It's inconsistent - getting a halfway decent spray pattern in no way indicates that I will get anything like that the next time I pull the trigger (did I mention the trigger is not smooth?);
With the bottle attached it is quite unwieldy to hold and use, nothing at all like "holding a pen;"
I have not found a way to make it act as a single-action like the product description says. The adjuster runs out of threads before I get there Maybe I can jam some sort of shim in there to hold the trigger more rearward.
It's not like I am trying to be an airbrush artist or anything fancy like that - all I want to do is lay down relatively smooth coats of paint on model cars, but I'm afraid to try, as consistent coats have so far proven elusive on paper as practice.

Unfortunately I am fully invested in Paasche products, as I bought one of their compressors as well (which seems OK, by the way). So now if I want to get another brand of airbrush I'll have to figure out what hose adapters I need and buy them. Or I may decide I've thrown enough money at this and just dump the whole lot on Craigslist - airbrush, paints and the other liquids, compressor, and model kits, and oh yeah, the 20' Paasche air hose I bought. This whole experience has been a bit disappointing at the least.
on April 9, 2014
I purchased the Paasche airbrush to paint pieces of my model railroad structures, scenery and rolling stock using acrylic paints. I received the unit and had trouble with the airline hooking up to the airbrush. I emailed Paasche off their website on a Sunday to see if they could help and received an email back that day saying they'd contact customer service to determine the best way to resolve (yes on a SUNDAY!...GREAT SERVICE). I was in contact with a service person who had me check a couple of things and ended up replacing the hose which arrived in a few days. The new one worked perfectly. The unit functions very well and has lots of adjustments which I'll have to learn how to adapt to. It has lots of accessories to offer different ways to paint with (bottles, cups, spray size needles, etc.) which make it adaptable to almost any type of need. I really like the holder they offer to keep the brush up right when you are painting with the cup. It isn't as necessary when using the bottles, but still nice to have. All in all, a great tool for painting.
on May 2, 2014
I love the airbrush, but mine came with 2 damaged components. Amazon did good by me by knocking the price in half, so I'm quite satisfied.... I was able to pick up the damaged parts locally as I needed the airbrush as soon as I received it. I make multiple styles and types of custom fishing lures, jigs, poppers etc...and I'm learning to custom paint crankbaits and make them look professional.
With acrylic paint I'm able to spray with this brush with a measly 7 psi ...compared to my old single action brush that is a humongous difference. The other benefits of this airbrush are the 3 needle/head combinations it comes with... you can do broad coverage all the way down to a hairline...and I do mean hairline.
I also use this brush for weathering & painting my N scale railroad engines, rolling stock, buildings and scenery. I also help my sons build models and I paint them. I can apply such light coats with this that the finish almost always comes out flawless assuming it is properly prepped.
on May 2, 2010
Not sure why this is called a toy? Anyway, probably one of the best airbrushes out there, IMHO. Some people say that this style of brush is harder to clean than say, a single-action external brush, but having used VL brushes for 10-15 years I don't have issues. In fact, these brushes last FOREVER. (Sometimes you may need to buy a new tip or needle). In fact, I bought this to complement my existing brushes.

The price I paid for this brush even with shipping was the best I've seen anywhere.
on December 11, 2013
I have had this now for 3 months and love using it. I keep it clean and do so immediately after I use it, never letting it sit longer than a minute or two. Have your cleaners ready! Warm Water and mild Dawn, or paint thinner, alchohol... whatever you shoot. Make sure your paint is like milk when spraying. I use CO2 bottles at 25 lbs, nice and easy to carry around. I'm not an artist, I do duracoat on guns and other stuff like that.
on May 1, 2013
I bought a Paasche Airbrush for my daughter about a year ago. It broke and I called Paasche. They had me send it back and they replaced it with a new airbrush. There is no better customer service than this! The quality of the airbrush is awesome too. I would never buy any other airbrush except a Paasche.