Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Beauty Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now SnS

on July 16, 2009
I bought these to side my own home. In the past I have cut fiber cement with a continuous diamond circular saw blade. That creates a lot of dust. It was suggested that I try shears. I ordered these mainly due to cost, and the fact that SS404 got good reviews.

The difference between the two is the drill motor, it is less powerful. I was concerned that it would cut slow, but that is not the case. I cut just as fast as I did with the diamond blade, and no dust.

If you are a pro who uses these every day, spending more would make sense. But if you are like me and doing you own house, and that is all, then these do the job.
on October 23, 2010
Get this tool if you are installing 5/16" cement board siding. Cuts are quick, neat and dustless. While the tool is somewhat expensive and we were doing only a small siding job on a screened porch, we still felt it was a cost effective purchase. However, it is important to be aware of a few things:
1. This tool is made specifically to cut 5/16" or thinner material. If you have thicker material you'll need the next model up which is more expensive.
2. If you don't keep the outer blades flat on the material you are cutting, you'll get horrible results. Use it properly with the finish face down and the cuts are clean and smooth.
3. A framing square works very well as a guide for cross cuts, although you'll get a rough corner at the end of the cut if both sides of the cut are not held securely.
4. On long cuts, the continuous shaving will curl into your line of site. To make an uninterrupted cut, you'll want someone available to pull the shavings away.
Why only 4 stars? We felt this tool could be a little lighter and a little cheaper given its narrow purpose.
on November 20, 2009
I found this looking around at nail guns on Amazon. It turned out to be a great investment for my siding job. I was using a circular saw and wearing a mask which was uncomfortable. This tool cuts easy, no dust, I'm really pleased. I even used it to rip boards the full 12 ft. Only problem is the long scrap "curly fry" left sometimes gets in your vision but just have someone pull it away. It would be nice to have a rip fence like a cricular saw for those long cuts built in. The price was right for the one time homeowner doing the job also.
on May 29, 2010
I purchased the shear to help cut Hardipanel sheets. It does a very good job of cutting without creating much dust. It is best to cut from the back of the sheet with the good side facing down. While the back of the cut gets a bit ragged, it is easy to clean up by running a utility knife along the edge to remove the excess. The cut on the front of the sheet looks good. I am a DIY homeowner and not a professional Hardie installer, so I can't say how it holds up to heavy usage. All in all, I am very pleased with the product and would recommend it.
on August 18, 2009
product made easy work of hardie board siding. cuts easy and very little dust. great product for the price
on April 10, 2013
These shears are solid and cut VERY well. I was a little hesitant to spend the money for a small project but quickly realized that it would have taken much longer and been super messy without these. They made it so easy. I ended up residing my entire 3000 sq/ft house and it looks perfect. Using these shears along with the fiber cement siding hangers kept it a one man job and I couldn't be happier. I was quoted $30,000 by a couple different contractors and ended up doing it myself over a couple weeks for less than $10k. I'm fairly handy but certainly not an expert by any means. These shears feel very solid, never showed any sign of getting dull and will cut a fiber cement board just like new .
on July 26, 2013
This tool while not the most expensive does the job with no issues, cuts accurately and quickly. Provides virtually a dust free environment.

It cuts cleanly on both unfinished and finished cement siding, It has its limitations as far as curves and inside corners, but there are manufacturers who provide carbide tipped jig saw blades for this issue.

Otherwise a great product has saved us time, money and limited the waste on siding projects, still going strong after 40 plus squares of siding.

I have seen many reviews from people complaining about the accuracy, rough cuts and limitations of the tool.

Ridiculous, it is a specialized tool meant for a specific task and it performs admirably and is relatively inexpensive and well made.

I would say of you do not do many cement siding projects , but do a few every year then this tool will save you time , effort and allow a safe and quality siding job if you know its limitations and allow for them.
on August 28, 2010
I bought these to use in residing my own house. I originally planned on using a chop saw and diamond blade, but all the warnings about silicosis from dust changed my mind (also note that if you use a shop vac on your chop saw, you'll quickly clog up the filter with the cement dust). Another nice thing about this tool is that you can easily take it to the board's location, rather than having to haul your boards to the chop-saw station.

Life is always a compromise, however. The PacTool creates no dust (just those strings of "goldfish poop" others have mentioned), and it's easy to control, but the cut edge on the face is not quite as clean as that produced with the Hitachi Hardiblade in my jigsaw (which I use for cutting holes and odd shapes around trim). It doesn't really matter much, though, since I keep a file and sanding pad handy to smooth the edges, and once the touchup paint is on, you can hardly tell the difference anyway (not to mention the fact that cut edges placed against trim will be caulked as well). For all these reasons, this tool is a must-have for fiber cement installers.
on July 6, 2015
Used it to cut fiber cement siding to side 3 sides of 22' x 22' two-story addition. It is easy to use, light and precise. It is safer than using a circular saw with fiber cement or reversed blade as it produces much less dust and the dust is not as fine as that produced from using the saw. Now that I am done siding, the tool still works as great as the first day I used it and the blades are still as sharp.
on February 9, 2015
An absolute must for anyone doing cement fiber style siding. I strongly urge anyone getting ready to do a home siding project to use this set of shears. I sided my entire house using this tool and it worked great. Very little dust is generated, and they work fine for doing long cuts too!