5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, built nice, comfortable, adjustable

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite perfect
Published on July 11, 2009 by John C. Schwartz

5.0 out of 5 stars Strong, built nice, comfortable, adjustable, August 29, 2008
Troy Hummon (Hampstead, MD United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pacific Drums and Percussion 700 Series Drum Throne (Electronics)
I got this to play drums on Rockband (Xbox360) instead of sitting on a wooden barstool (which is uncomfortable and non-adjustable). This stool padding is NICE and the adjustability is via a bolt-through design. Therefore, it's not easy to quickly adjust for different playing heights (as the bolt has to be removed and inserted in a different hole). Although, it provides a more secure platform and won't 'creep/slide' down over time. It's plenty strong enough for me (215 lbs) and all my friends of various weights. It feels like it would hold someone much heavier with no problem. It's not whimpy at all, but still light. I like the tripod leg design because it provides more open area than a 4-leg design.

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality Parts, Poor Height Adjustment, September 16, 2009
The PDP 700 Series Drum Throne is constructed of thick, sturdy metal matched with a thick,, comfortable, leathery seat. It is a breeze to set up and take down and stays firmly planted due to the rubber foot moldings. Overall, I'm very pleased with this seat for use with a drum kit or guitar.

However, it lacks a good range of height adjustment. Being 5'9", I initially set the throne up with the bolt in the middle setting. This was way too high, so I adjusted it to the lowest height (without removing the bolt altogether), which was just about perfect. Unfortunately, I can see a lot of people will have a hard time finding the perfect height with each adjustment an inch apart. And if you are under 5'5", forget about it. A threaded shaft which allows the seat to be adjusted in fine increments by spinning the cushion around would be much better.

When you set up your stool's height, sit with correct posture and lift your legs up. you should be able to lift them both up without having to lean forward or backward. If you have to lean back, the stool is too high and vice versa.

Pros:
-solid and sturdy
-comfortable!!
-quick to assemble/breakdown
-attractive
-swivels

Cons:
-May not go low enough for some
-No fine height adjustment
-swiveling can chew up the metal finish

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice item for the price, February 6, 2008
Merryll (Southcoast Massachusetts) - See all my reviews
I purchased this for my son when we bought him a used drum kit for xmas. The one that came with the kit wasn't anywhere near as nice as this one. The padding on this one is much thicker and it's more comfortable. It's legs are much more sturdy as well, I feel this is an excellent item for the price.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product!!, September 28, 2007
This throne is really good. It's sturdy, it's not too light, not too heavy, is just right. Confortable, definitely worth the price.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not quite perfect, July 11, 2009
John C. Schwartz (Merrimack, NH United States) - See all my reviews
I purchased this for use with Rock Band based on the good reviews here. As the other reviews have indicated, it is very sturdy. The padding is thick and VERY firm, which I think is a good thing as it will probably soften up with use as padding normally does. My biggest complaint with it is, I'm not sure how you're supposed to use it to play drums! Even on the lowest setting my feet don't touch the floor, making using the bass pedal quite challenging. I even tried removing the height adjustment bolt altogether which lowered it about 1/2 inch more, but it was still too tall. At 5'7" I'm not exactly short so I don't know who this is designed for (people from 6-8ft tall from the looks of it). How the 12yr old in another review is able to use this is beyond me. I think I will end up cutting off some of the bottom of the pipe and drilling another adjustment hole which should make it work perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid, affordable throne, August 16, 2013
This has been fantastic for a drummer of 7 years looking for a comfortable, durable throne to use at my electronic kit. I researched this purchase fairly thoroughly, trying to find an affordable throne that had a solid base. After three months of using it I feel comfortable saying this throne is quite sturdy. I have no complaints.

Some people have noted the lack of adjustability in the height. I am 5'11" and feel that the options available (via a pin style adjustment system) would cover a large range of height ranging from much smaller than myself to quite taller. It lacks fine tuning, sure, but I've had no problems.

For half the price of a throne with similar structural quality and unlimited adjustment capabilities, I do not feel that it should be knocked for lack of adjustment. This was the best economical drum throne I could find, hands down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Spend the extra money for the quality, January 31, 2009
My 12 year old uses it to play the bass and the rest of them use it for Rock Bank and guitar hero. Seat adjusts for multi purpose use (even use it as an extra desk chair when friends come over). Very sturdy high quality stool. Very pleased.

4.0 out of 5 stars Bang for buck, August 13, 2013
I'm about 240lbs, and this throne is completely stable for me with no issues. I've used heavier/nicer ones, but honestly I think those extra dollars are better used elsewhere in your setup. This throne does take a few extra seconds to adjust the height, because the screw goes through the telescoping section and tightens. You know it's not going to slide down over time, though. I don't take this throne outside of my house, so its actually good for me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Very Good, but tall, September 2, 2009
James P. (Lawrenceville, GA) - See all my reviews
This drum stool feels very good to sit on, however be warned that you may find it too tall for you to get used to, especially if you are short.

When I first used it, I hated it and was pretty sure I was going to return it. The next day I tried it again though, and I have to say, I can actually play a lot better with this drum stool than I could before. At first it makes hitting the kicks way too easy so it seems, that you kick too much, but when you get used to it you can control that and kick a lot easier. So if you get it and think it is too tall, just give it a few days to settle in and you'll probably find you actually like it a lot.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good drum throne for the price, May 15, 2010
I've had this for about 6 months now. I'm about 5ft 11" and I don't have any issues with the adjustment. Minor quibble is the seat clamp is not well designed. So IF you lift the stool by the seat, it can come off. The seat is fairly comfortable. I like that the height can be adjusted and the legs fold which is convenient. But you would expect that. I bought it to play RB & GH games. It could be used for people who play an actual drum set. But then, you might want to consider a seat that is more comfortable. Not saying this is uncomfortable. But your butt will get a little sore after an extended period of play.

The build quality of this throne is quite good. No complaints there. I would definitely recommend it over any of he cheaper stools that cost around 25-35 bucks.

Pacific Drums and Percussion 700 Series Drum Throne