5.0 out of 5 stars Good bike for the price.
Published on June 13, 2010 by K. Mangum

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS!!!
Please do not buy this bike. I bought this and it was in perfect shape. And it still was the worst thing i've ever bought online. The quality is so low its despicable. I know its a great deal but please trust me Pacific is a terrible company for bikes.

1. both tires blew out standing on its own under normal psi.
2. Brakes were at 50% after 10 mins of...
Published on February 16, 2011 by Michael Stclair

1.0 out of 5 stars DO NOT BUY THIS!!!, February 16, 2011
This review is from: Pacific Stratus Men's Mountain Bike (26-Inch Wheels) (Sports)

1. both tires blew out standing on its own under normal psi.
2. Brakes were at 50% after 10 mins of riding.
3. Seat is rock hard.
4. gears make a terrible cracking sound continuously
5. The nuts and screws are made out of soft metal that will strip and break off.
6. The chances of this bike failing while riding are EXTREMELY HIGH.

I Cant believe this is a legal bike to sell. its horrific.

3.0 out of 5 stars Better than it is being reviewed - but average in general, April 14, 2012
Melanie C "MC" (Desert Soutwest, U.S.) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
Ok, I'm an old guy. I remember when you could buy a real, solid-metal bicycle for $40, and it was a solid, durable bicycle that would last for decades. Back then, you didn't have 'bicycle repair stores', you had general hardware and department stores, for the most-part.

In retirement, my wife and I decided we would RV the country and as most know, that means a lot of time and opportunity for bicycling too. I had not ridden a bicycle in quite a few years, but knew that I wanted a 10-18 speed bicycle that was metal, solid, not tricked-out, and that had the larger 1.75-2.00 inch wide tires, preferably in a 24-26" rim. Needless to say, sticker shock almost killed me when I went looking! I've bought several used cars for the price being charged for a bicycle now! This is insanity.

Well, instead of a no-name bicycle that cost $500 or more, I started searching for known established companies that might still make a decent bicycle. Well, Pacific Cycle is the parent company of Schwinn and Mongoose, and this is their 'generic brand' basically...so I bought one locally. I thought I'd test it out before I bought the second one. The pro's and con's are quite simple.

First, this bike is fairly solid. I am 6'2, 250-lbs, and I feel comfortable on this bike. The tires and tubes are very low-end, and if you plan on riding a lot, you can just wear these out first (won't take long), or replace them as you assemble it. I find that this bike would have an excellent review rating if everyone hadn't give it 1-star because they had to 'assemble it out of the box'...to that I reply, 'you have to assemble them even if you buy them in the store...what did you expect them to do, ship an assembled bicycle to you in the mail?' I can't believe assembly is a rating review...but whatever.

Anyhow, the shifter works just as good as they did 25-years ago. No, you don't have super-snap-precision-shifting, like it's some ferrari, or something...and if you are like me, you aren't going to pay $700 for a bicycle just so it's shifting like your car, either. It has two wheels, two tires, it has brakes, and it shifts gears. Enough said. Now, if you are looking for competitive sports and hard charging abuse...this is NOT the bike for you. It is a tough street bike that can go down a gravel trail, not jump head first off of the Himalayas and survive. If you want a good bicycle for less than $125, look closely at this...and there is a female version of this same model, too. Overall, it is just a bicycle...obviously, there are many that would expect much more from a bicycle and will bash low-end products because they didn't get what they wanted. To them, I say that if you know 'decent bikes' start at $400...why are you looking in the $100 price range?

For average users - be aware, this IS a decent bike for general use. Kids in the yard, riding down an established park trail, pavement, whatever. It will get you there. Extreme enthusiasts or 'gear perfectionists' need not apply. One note - if you buy this here, either have a modicum of mechanical skill to put it together, or find a local shop that will assemble it for you before you order. It is NOT that complex, but if you don't know the working end of a wrench, stay away and either have someone assemble it for you, or buy one pre-assembled at the big-box store.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good bike for the price., June 13, 2010
This bike is good looking and you can't beat the price. You will need to take a some time to put it together and double check everything. Make sure you turn the fork 180 degrees. They did this so it would fit in the box. It came packaged good. We're just using the bike for around town with the kids. I would recommend it. FYI, pacific cycle is the parent company for Schwinn and Mongoose bikes so I believe this will be a decent reliable bike for us.

2.0 out of 5 stars unreliable bicycle, October 19, 2010
Bicycle looks very good, hence it`s quality is awful.

1. wheels were curved, so it rubs on brakes each cycle.
2. speed selection gear`s bracing is made from !PLASTIC! - no chance to make precision speed selection.
3. pedals starts to crack inside, it looks like bearing is made from plastic.
4. very heavy bicycle, it weight 2 times more than any bicycle i saw before.

The only reason to rate it 2 starts is that it`s still moving after 4 months of short commutes (2-3 times a week). Hence it`s almost not possible to tune speed selection to make it switch smoothly for even short trip and rubber on brakes is killed by curved wheels, and so on...

And it`s really not easy to assemble this bicycle, you need additional tools and once again it`s hard to tune speed selection gear. (i do it easily for bicycle of my spouse).

buying this bicycle for $100 instead of used brand one for $50 was mistake.

2.0 out of 5 stars You get what you pay for, August 26, 2010
S. Moeller (Kansas City, MO United States) - See all my reviews
I ordered 2 of these as cheap starter bikes, but the plan back fired. First, one of the bikes arrived in a box in pieces with no packing or cushioning material, and the frame was bent. After exchanging it with Amazon (the exchange went smoothly), I had 2 working bikes. Unfortunately, after only a couple of five mile rides on a smooth riding trail, we had 2 flat tires and a bent wheel.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very disappointed!, June 30, 2010
I am so disappointed in this bike. Yes, it looks nice and was very easy to put together, after my husband took the initiative to finally put it together. It sat in the box in my livingroom for two months, but that is a different story. The day he did decide to put it together, we decided to drive a half hour away to go and enjoy trails with our kids, well......we went less than a mile, and his chain came off the back wheel because the sprocket, or gear or whatever is made of plastic and broke. Now it is ruined. I would not recommend this bike to anyone!

1.0 out of 5 stars I don't recommend, October 16, 2010
This bike looks really good but the rear brake did not work and needed to fix.
I was not good at repairing bike and was pretty busy at the time
I spent 100 dollars at the bike shop in order to repair it.
also I got mud flaps and rack for the bike....and I spent 270 dollars for it

At the first time, I found the pedal was really uncomfortable when I rode the bike to super market.
The pedal works but it was not smooth like other ordinary pedaling.
Finally I understood I wasted 270 dollars and I really want to return it.

1.0 out of 5 stars Worse bike ever, July 6, 2012
This is the worse quality bike I have ever seen!!!, 2 weeks of use and it have been 3 incidents already!!!! don't buy it!!

1.0 out of 5 stars Pacific Stratus Mt Bike, December 21, 2012
The nicest thing that can be said about this bike is that is looks good. But it all ends there. The bike is very heavy and cheaply made. Assembly and adjustments are difficult. I cannot center the wheels to the front or rear fork. Neither have I been successful in adjusting the rear bakes. When the pedals are level to the ground and you make a turn of more than 30 degrees the wheel will collide with the pedal! On my first test ride I almost fell off the bike when I attempted to make a 45 degree turn while I continued to pedal. I bought the bike for my son for Christmas but now plan to return it. Poorly designed and dangerous.

1.0 out of 5 stars Most horrible bike I have ever seen, August 28, 2012
It's the first time that I seen a bike whose pedals hit the front tire.
I nearly fall over everytime I wanner make a turn.
Amazon did a good job, but the bike itself is so bad and I am very unsatified with it!

Rate and Discover Movies