Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pacific Stratus Men's Mountain Bike (26-Inch Wheels)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3 AnnedroidsS3  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro STEM

TOP 1000 REVIEWERon April 14, 2012
Ok, I'm an old guy. I remember when you could buy a real, solid-metal bicycle for $40, and it was a solid, durable bicycle that would last for decades. Back then, you didn't have 'bicycle repair stores', you had general hardware and department stores, for the most-part.

In retirement, my wife and I decided we would RV the country and as most know, that means a lot of time and opportunity for bicycling too. I had not ridden a bicycle in quite a few years, but knew that I wanted a 10-18 speed bicycle that was metal, solid, not tricked-out, and that had the larger 1.75-2.00 inch wide tires, preferably in a 24-26" rim. Needless to say, sticker shock almost killed me when I went looking! I've bought several used cars for the price being charged for a bicycle now! This is insanity.

Well, instead of a no-name bicycle that cost $500 or more, I started searching for known established companies that might still make a decent bicycle. Well, Pacific Cycle is the parent company of Schwinn and Mongoose, and this is their 'generic brand' basically...so I bought one locally. I thought I'd test it out before I bought the second one. The pro's and con's are quite simple.

First, this bike is fairly solid. I am 6'2, 250-lbs, and I feel comfortable on this bike. The tires and tubes are very low-end, and if you plan on riding a lot, you can just wear these out first (won't take long), or replace them as you assemble it. I find that this bike would have an excellent review rating if everyone hadn't give it 1-star because they had to 'assemble it out of the box'...to that I reply, 'you have to assemble them even if you buy them in the store...what did you expect them to do, ship an assembled bicycle to you in the mail?' I can't believe assembly is a rating review...but whatever.

Anyhow, the shifter works just as good as they did 25-years ago. No, you don't have super-snap-precision-shifting, like it's some ferrari, or something...and if you are like me, you aren't going to pay $700 for a bicycle just so it's shifting like your car, either. It has two wheels, two tires, it has brakes, and it shifts gears. Enough said. Now, if you are looking for competitive sports and hard charging abuse...this is NOT the bike for you. It is a tough street bike that can go down a gravel trail, not jump head first off of the Himalayas and survive. If you want a good bicycle for less than $125, look closely at this...and there is a female version of this same model, too. Overall, it is just a bicycle...obviously, there are many that would expect much more from a bicycle and will bash low-end products because they didn't get what they wanted. To them, I say that if you know 'decent bikes' start at $400...why are you looking in the $100 price range?

For average users - be aware, this IS a decent bike for general use. Kids in the yard, riding down an established park trail, pavement, whatever. It will get you there. Extreme enthusiasts or 'gear perfectionists' need not apply. One note - if you buy this here, either have a modicum of mechanical skill to put it together, or find a local shop that will assemble it for you before you order. It is NOT that complex, but if you don't know the working end of a wrench, stay away and either have someone assemble it for you, or buy one pre-assembled at the big-box store.
on February 16, 2011
Please do not buy this bike. I bought this and it was in perfect shape. And it still was the worst thing i've ever bought online. The quality is so low its despicable. I know its a great deal but please trust me Pacific is a terrible company for bikes.

1. both tires blew out standing on its own under normal psi.
2. Brakes were at 50% after 10 mins of riding.
3. Seat is rock hard.
4. gears make a terrible cracking sound continuously
5. The nuts and screws are made out of soft metal that will strip and break off.
6. The chances of this bike failing while riding are EXTREMELY HIGH.

I Cant believe this is a legal bike to sell. its horrific.
33 comments|74 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 13, 2010
This bike is good looking and you can't beat the price. You will need to take a some time to put it together and double check everything. Make sure you turn the fork 180 degrees. They did this so it would fit in the box. It came packaged good. We're just using the bike for around town with the kids. I would recommend it. FYI, pacific cycle is the parent company for Schwinn and Mongoose bikes so I believe this will be a decent reliable bike for us.
11 comment|55 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on August 26, 2010
I ordered 2 of these as cheap starter bikes, but the plan back fired. First, one of the bikes arrived in a box in pieces with no packing or cushioning material, and the frame was bent. After exchanging it with Amazon (the exchange went smoothly), I had 2 working bikes. Unfortunately, after only a couple of five mile rides on a smooth riding trail, we had 2 flat tires and a bent wheel.
on October 19, 2010
Bicycle looks very good, hence it`s quality is awful.

1. wheels were curved, so it rubs on brakes each cycle.
2. speed selection gear`s bracing is made from !PLASTIC! - no chance to make precision speed selection.
3. pedals starts to crack inside, it looks like bearing is made from plastic.
4. very heavy bicycle, it weight 2 times more than any bicycle i saw before.

The only reason to rate it 2 starts is that it`s still moving after 4 months of short commutes (2-3 times a week). Hence it`s almost not possible to tune speed selection to make it switch smoothly for even short trip and rubber on brakes is killed by curved wheels, and so on...

And it`s really not easy to assemble this bicycle, you need additional tools and once again it`s hard to tune speed selection gear. (i do it easily for bicycle of my spouse).

buying this bicycle for $100 instead of used brand one for $50 was mistake.
on June 13, 2012
Look durable and strong but can't have all speeds. Some sounds come out during riding. Be sure to have tools for assembling coz it will be delivered in parts. Anyway, reasonable price. Suitable for those who need a bicycle for a short time with short distance traveling.
on June 6, 2011
I bought two. They looked OK. But within a few weeks, I'd had two flat tires from cheesy tubes, a broken pedal, and the bearing on the crank on one failed. They hadn't got much use. No bargain after considering the repairs and aggravation. And if left outdoors, they rust incredibly fast compared to other bikes I've had.
on June 6, 2012
I got this bike for my husband for about $110 2 weeks ago, and I have to say I'm pretty disappointed. It was scratched right out of the box, due to shipping I'm sure, so we over looked it. Within the first week, the pedals broke and it struggled changing gears causing some sort of grinding sound. My husband, being one not to give up, replaced the pedals and fixed the gears. I know $110 is cheap for a bike, but I expected decent quality.
on May 31, 2011
I was looking for a very simple bike for very limited use (few times a week, not going far). I strongly recommend against buying this bike for several reasons:

* It arrives in pieces and requires significant assembly. You need someone who knows bikes, it isn't just a quick plug-and-play type.

* It STILL needed $40 of attention to get it to working condition. The brakes were loose, gears off, and tires not aligned.

* After all of this attention, it STILL has gears that do not change properly. In addition, the front handle bar came loose in the middle of cycling and I had to go back to the shop, again.

I bought it because it was cheap and had free shipping. I don't say it much: this product is NOT worth the price. Spend the additional bucks to get one that works properly. This created more of a hassle than I saved in the low price. If I had to buy again, I'd go in-person to a bike shop. I certainly wouldn't buy this piece of junk.
on July 19, 2012
So I was lured in by the cheap price, and I suppose the saying is 'you get what you pay for' but I paid for a working product, and thus far it has proven very disappointing.

As with many of the other reviews, I've had problems with brakes(back breaks didnt work at all as soon as I got the bike, and my trying to fix them had no effect.) gears(fragile looking, don't change very well between settings) and today the handlebars and pedals. Keep in mind, this is my first full day of use, and the right pedal began coming undone on the second or third ride. Likewise, the handlebar link to the front tire also came undone(but not unattached) in spite of my tightening it. Since I came home I've reattached/resecured both pedals and handlebars, but we'll see how the next ride goes.

Even giving the benefit of the doubt on my failing to secure all parts properly, this product gets a low rating because of the myriads of little issues it comes with right out of the box.(the second star is based entirely on the fact that I am thus far able to fix the bike) Assembly is one thing, but a consumer shouldn't have to deal with broken brakes, noisy/ineffective gear shifting or faulty screws/bolts that don't move very well even when using proper tools. This is the sort of quality you'd expect from a fix up bike, not something brand new. Like many others, I am also having to replace one tire(again, after only 1 day of use)

If you're someone who enjoys constantly repairing bikes, this is a good buy. if you ride for leisure, errands, or like me, on a budget and using a bike for commuting/transportation, I'd advise you to steer clear of this product.