4.0 out of 5 stars they look nice and they do their job
Published 18 months ago by Kathy

Published 5 months ago by sweetpcmd

4.0 out of 5 stars they look nice and they do their job, June 25, 2013
This review is from: 3 Pack - Belkin Power Conserve Switch F7c016q - Bulk Packaging (Electronics)
I've been eyeing these things for a while, but at $6 each how much energy are you really saving? I used a kill-o-watt monitor to find out. I tested just about every appliance that I would consider putting one of these things on. Found that most of the older devices are the ones you need to watch out for. Newer devices are NOT worth putting a switch on at all. This includes phone chargers. If you are worried about phone chargers (unless somehow your phone charger is ancient or just really cheap) stop worrying. The kill-o-watt monitor wouldn't even register any electricity usage from the phone charger no matter how long I left it plugged in.

I did not try this on any large appliances (TV, etc) since I think using it for that would be way too much of a hassle to turn on and off everyday. Devices that would be worth putting one of these on in my house is: and old DVD player, a (very) old printer and PC, an iPod speaker/docking station.

update: I now have one on my crappy router that I have to reboot once a week to keep my wifi working. Not the intended use (save electricity) but makes rebooting the thing much easier!

5.0 out of 5 stars Save on wear and tear of recepticals and plugs, July 25, 2013
I bought three of these switches to use on devices that I didn't want to repeatedly plug and unplug. I've had one of them outside (in a sheltered area) for several months and it still functions perfectly. I like that the rocker switch glows when on and that it takes 3-prong grounded plugs.

5.0 out of 5 stars Conserve Electricity, November 18, 2012
Joey SC (Bluffton, SC, US) - See all my reviews
I plug TV,s, phone chargers and any appliance that draws electricity even when "turned off". The ones I had before only accepted a two prong plug -these accept the three prong grounded plug. The major advantage is that these mount horizontally and only cover one outlet. I have three mounted on a power strip. The vertical mount will cover two outlet spaces thereby reducing the outlets availablefor use.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as described, April 3, 2013
These are amazing. Let you switch to off to get rid of vampire electronics. We use this in the kitchen on our microwave and coffee maker so we can leave them off (no power usage at all) while not in use, and just flip the switch when we want to turn them on. I wish they made ones with the switch on the left side as well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Zero power, December 5, 2013
Really good for those hard to reach places. I mainly bought these to have zero power and indeed my power meter shows zero power. Now I feel 'green' yeah!

4.0 out of 5 stars Power saver works!, February 23, 2013
This little item between your wall and your device saves you from the "vampire power" effect. This is the electricity waste when your device isn't really off. Turn it off by throwing the switch here so your standby device doesn't keep wasting power in the "off" setting.

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice design and build quality for $7 each, November 13, 2014
The switches are inexpensive, don't block the outlet above or below, and cleanly turn on and off power. I use one to control a bar light in my bathroom, another on my infrequently used coffee maker, and the third on a kitchenaid stand mixer I used to to turn on accidentally all the time. Works great in all three places. The soft green light even reminds me to turn the coffee maker or mixer off when I leave the kitchen at night.

4.0 out of 5 stars Really great for appliances without switches and for saving power, February 3, 2014
Will (New York, NY) - See all my reviews
I love these things- the visual indicator is perfect for telling if something is powered on or not, and I feel like I am saving a lot of electricity by not leaving some of my seldom used electronics plugged in all the time.

The only thing preventing it from being 5 stars is they don't make a version with the switch on the other side- I have a printer that would be perfect with this thing, but it is in a corner where I would need the switch on the other side to be visible and usable.

2.0 out of 5 stars Bad Belkin quality control and bad ethics on Amazon for selling non-new product as new, July 14, 2014
My first order of these came as a box with 3 switches in it. Not only did they not look new (the factory seal on the box was broken and simply taped shut again, plus there was dust on the switches), but one of the switches was broken in that I was unable to plug in a 3-prong plug into it. Amazon had me place a new order of the 3 switches (since I needed to use the working ones in the meantime), and the next order I received was a bag with 3 individually packaged plugs. I opened the packaging (at least I knew these were brand new), and found that one of these also would not allow a 3-prong plug into it. Instead of dealing with another return gamble, I just kept the ones that worked and returned the ones that were broken. Terrible quality control (bad on Belkin) and terrible ethics in selling non-new products as new (bad on Amazon). Unfortunately, this is not the first time I've suspected the items I've received from Amazon were not new. Fortunately, the switches I kept appear to be working as advertised. I do think Belkin should adjust the design so they can be plugged in "upside down" - I have an outlet that has the plugs on the left and a switch on the right. Luckily the switch is not used, so I have these things covering it up. I'm hoping that having a switch on that doesn't have anything plugged into it isn't somehow negating the power saved with these things.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple convenient switch to help you save energy by managing your use of Standby power, November 26, 2014
These switches are great for making it convenient to cut back on your household's use of standby power for always-on devices such as HDTVs, DVD players, media streaming boxes, networks, "wireless" networked speakers, etc. These devices suckle power day and night even when turned off. I bought many of these switches so that I can flip the power off on these devices without having to unplug them.

There are wireless power switches you can buy, but then those are always on - suckling power, and require your network to be powered constantly. I turn my network off when I leave the house; why have that thing powered on for 10 hours when no one is using it. Same thing for HDTVs that I might use a couple times a week; turn them off; really off. I save a good 20% on my electric bill from managing this use of power more judiciously. Of course, stand by power use will comprise a smaller percentage of the electric bill for households with more people living in them.