5.0 out of 5 stars a real 5 star alternative to coin-op machines
Customer Video Review     Length:: 2:59 Mins
I have been using this Panda Compact Washer for almost three weeks now with both light and heavier loads with GREAT results. It is now *super* convenient to be able to do almost all of my laundry at home, plus with all costs considered the savings will be VERY significant versus using coin-op machines.

The directions it comes with are...
Published on November 28, 2011 by Desert Gypsy

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service, Malfunctioning and flimsy product
There are three parts to this review and I will try to keep this short and precise.

Quality of the product itself:
Published on March 14, 2012 by laviel

5.0 out of 5 stars a real 5 star alternative to coin-op machines, November 28, 2011
This review is from: Bonus Package Panda Small Mini Portable Compact Washer Washing Machine 5.5lbs Capacity (Misc.)
Length:: 2:59 Mins

The directions it comes with are sort of vague so I've come up with a neat four step system to get a load done:

1. Wash: Fill the Panda washer with water to a little over the halfway mark, making sure the drainage hose (on the right of the machine) is UP and *securely* connected to the side of the washer unit. To fill the washer easily, I added a diverter+hose attachment to my shower head to fill the washer (RapidBath Deluxe Dog Bathing System). Add soap and clothing, keeping in mind "less is more" here - once you've set the timer and see how it is going, you can always add more water, soap, and/or clothing. To turn the unit on, turn the timer from 1-15 minutes depending on how long you want to pre-soak or wash the load.

Presoaking helps; I tend to load it at night with what I've used/worn for the day, set for 3-5 minutes, leave it soaking then continue the load in the morning. Everything comes out very clean, fresh smelling and uses very little detergent.

2. Rinse: If your clothes were only lightly soiled and you want to re-use the soapy water just remove the clothes from the Panda and rinse in the tub - a large colander style basket and a hose helps here. If you will *not* be reusing the soapy water you can simply rinse the clothes by adding fresh water to the Panda washer while the hose is still in the tub for continuous drainage. This action is low tech/gravity driven - the hose must drain to a spot lower than its base.

3. Wring - or Not: If you don't want to hand wring, let the clothes sit in either the washer (drained), or tub for 5-10 minutes or more.

4. Dry: I use a Centrifugal Clothes Portable Spin Dryer to remove as much water as possible and then hang to dry.

For me, each load can hold about 2 days worth of clothes, except in the case of jeans or heavy bath towels which I have been doing in very small loads which means those articles pretty much wash by themselves. After a run through the spin dryer I hang the clothes on a Minky X-Wing Indoor Drying Rack, 45-Feet Total Drying Space, White and everything is always is dry in just a few hours time.

I have only had this washer for a couple of weeks but at this rate it will have paid for itself within 3-4 months. It seems pretty sturdy though and as you can see from how well the agitator moves it can do a really good job at cleaning the clothes as long as it is loaded properly. My only slight hesitation in recommending this unit is the unknown factor as far as how long it will last but I'm happy having saved so many trips to the laundromat already and would definitely purchase again if for some reason it fails outside the six month warranty.

For how well it functions, ease of use, and the price point I'll say I am VERY pleased with this purchase and easily give the Panda Compact Washer five stars.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exactly what I needed!, November 22, 2011
Brian (LOS ANGELES, CA, United States) - See all my reviews
First off, I have to preface this by saying I have purchased the Wonder Washer and was greatly disappointed. This thing is a 100x better than the Wonder Washer. I own both and could not believe I wasted my money on the other washer. My needs were simple - a small washer that could wash normal items like jeans, sheets, pillow cases, bath towels... you name it. This is the washer that can do it. If you are living in a small apartment or are on a budget and are tired of schlepping clothes to the laundry every week or the endless hunt for quarters - this is for you.

The washer is the perfect size to sit on a counter top. I put mine on my kitchen counter next to the sink when I need to do the laundry. The washer is actually fairly lightweight and comes with an easy carry handle, so moving it is not difficult. It also has a top fill hole with a hose. I strongly recommend swapping the hose it comes with with a REAL hose. Go to your local aquarium supply or hardware store and purchase one. I think it takes a standard 1/2" hose. Any high quality flexible rubber hose or PVC hose should do. You will also want a faucet adapter or something to fit snug into your faucet. For me, the aquarium hose I had worked perfect and was able to wedge into my faucet spigot tight enough to allow easy filling. The drain works fine. You can see it hanging on the right of the stock photo of the unit. I didn't even realize the unit had a fill hose and drain until it arrived. I guess I missed it in the description, but it works great.

The washer itself is just the right size. The motor is amazingly strong. You can easily throw a beach towel or something like a queen size duvet sheet in there and wash it. It pulls through like a champ. Jeans work great too. To give you an idea, the 5.5lb capacity is about a regular men's pair of jeans or a single queen size duvet sheet or about two queen size flat sheets or two regular bath towels. It is more about wet water weight than anything. So if it absorbs a lot of water and gets heavy quickly, it may slow down some. A large sheet can be done, but you will need to fill the tank to 3/4 capacity with water before you add the sheet. Then push it under water so that it is covered. The key on larger items is to make sure there is enough water so that it always spins freely. So keep that in mind. Anything smaller like shirts, khakis or anything else will be a breeze.

You will have to do multiple loads or get used to doing loads daily. But the convenience to me is worth it. My apartment was smaller and did not come with any hookups. The nearest laundry is about 3 miles away and closed early. I was always needing rolls of quarters and the local store was out or didn't have enough to spare. So things just never seemed to work out right for anything laundry related being convenient. This was the perfect solution.

Also do yourself a favor and purchase the matching spin dryer. It is totally worth it. If you have to choose one, buy the dryer first. The dryer will not get your clothes 100% dry, but it eliminates a good 80-90% of the water to the point things are slightly damp. So a quick 10 minute air dry can usually dry your clothes after that (besides jeans that is).

5.0 out of 5 stars I love it!!!, October 21, 2011
Amazon Customer (baltimore, Maryland) - See all my reviews
I was very hesitant to purchase the machine, especially since there were no reviews yet on amazon. I was leaning towards buying the electric wonder washer but it only held about 2 pounds of clothes. Since this panda machine held 5 pounds, I decided to cross my fingers and go for this one. I just received it and have only done about 4 loads in it and I'm very impressed. The machine is made of good materials, alot of dirt comes out of the clothes, and the smelled very nice and looked clean coming out. You can fit quite alot of clothes in there too like 8 t-shirts and a bunch of undergarmets, and pajamas or a couple pairs of jeans and shirts.

In the instructions, after the wash cycle (that can be set anywhere between a minute-15 minutes depending on how soiled the clothes are ), it recommends that you wash the clothes with plain water for a rinse cycle but I found it to be quicker to just throw the clothes in the bathtub and rinse while I was doing the next load in the machine. The only con of this machine is that the clothes are soaking wet when it comes out the machine which means you have to wring dry the clothes. Because I did 4 loads in one day, I got a little lazy wringing the clothes out and some of them took quite a while to dry (over 24 hours) but through research, I've found that the solution for that is ordering a spin dryer (through laundry alternative/amazon) which extract over 90% of the water. If you don't have one of those and/or you're not planning on getting one, just make sure you wring out the clothes as much as you can.

Overall, I am pleased with it. I'm tired of loading up huge bags into a taxi and heading to the laundrymat. I live in a small apartment so it fits my needs just fine. I can already tell that my life will be much easier with this machine. If anyone's interested in seeing how well it works, there are a couple youtube videos that show the panda machine in action. Once I receive the spin dryer, I'll update the review to include how the two work together...but so far so good. I'm about to do a couple more loads tonight.. and I'm kind of looking forward to it..which is a good thing. The Panda washer is cute, sturdy, and does the job. The blue, white, and black design goes perfectly with my bathroom decor so I'm happy.

2.0 out of 5 stars Excellent service, Malfunctioning and flimsy product, March 14, 2012

Quality of the product itself:
1) It is quite unbelievable how this product is worth $99. When I first opened the box, I thought I received a 5 lb toy. The plastic is thin and flimsy, not to mention that it is not even spinning, just like what the other reviewer had stated in his/her one star review. Having lived in Asia for many years, I can venture a guess how much this product REALLY is worth... sadly, I have to say, this thing is WAY overpriced. The margins are HIGH!!!
2) As shown in the pictures, there were cracks and "fractures" all over the machine, possibly due to damage during delivery. There are also leakages everywhere, which I honestly believe that it could be a safety hazard if the water goes into the motor and electric wires, and apparently was evident after we unscrewed the thing.
3) As an attempt to reconstruct this damaged product since it's already broken anyway, we took it apart and played with it. We ended up using the glue gun to repair the leakages and fix the motor belt so that it is aligned with the spinning wheel - right now we are giving it a test run as I am typing this. Will see if it works without flooding the bathroom.

Packaging:
1) There is no bubble wrap or any kind of protective layers of packaging other than a thin paper box which is what it comes in with. I am positive that this contributes to the several areas of damage to the machine, and that's truly a pity. I have initially posted several pictures demonstrating the cracks and damages, but was later contacted by the seller, asking me to remove them. Taking into the consideration that the majority of the buyers seemed to have a great experience with this machine, I honored her request and took the pictures off. Email me privately if you are interested in seeing those pictures.

Seller:
1) The seller is certainly worth complimenting. A representative, Christine emailed me back almost 5 minutes later when I first asked for a replacement. Prompt feedback, good customer service, and agreed to give me a full refund for the damaged product. At least the seller is willing to work with the customers and provide the help needed.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great washer........BUT!!!!!!, June 5, 2012
LD "Kneighthawke" (Twin Cities, MN USA) - See all my reviews
This is a great mini washer and well worth the money. I did purchase it from the Canadian site mentioned in one review([...]). Why because the price came to $99 total with shipping. It got here in ONLY 2 days. I did't have a spinner (by Laundry Alternatives) at the time. They were on back order. I finally got it. GET ONE these spinner is well worth it.

Pros: Fast 15 minute cycle, Small/Compact, Gets clothing clean.

Cons: Drain hose is exceedingly too short, I will be replacing it with a longer version. NOISY, this thing is very noisy, it's a loud growling noise.

Some reviews complain about it not rinsing, 1. Drain dirty water. 2. Refill with clean water 3. Drain rinse water 4. Refill with clean water 5. Drain, there rising done. This is what a full size washer does.

This will save you money because it uses less water and you can do small loads of laundry and not have any piles hanging around. Also you use about a 10th of the laundry detergent you use in a full size washer.

People claim it doesn't get clothing clean. Two things, 1. Treat items with a spot treater like Spray n Wash, Oxy clean spray, Resolve, Shout,Fels naptha soap, let them sit 5 minutes then wash that works well or 2. If item is still stained after wash, put it through 2nd wash cycle, it's only 15 minutes after all.

This gets clothing amazingly clean I am very pleased it this and no piles hanging around. I have yet to do a thin blanket or sheet in it yet, it is just great.

This is an average load that works well with it. 4 shirts, pair of socks, 1 smaller bath towel, 1 wash cloth, 1 large swimmer towel. As long as the clothing moves freely in the wash tub it will get the clothing clean.

I love watching how it washes clothing.

Also if anyone that has done laundry and I've been doing it since my brother showed me when I was 9 years old I am 42 years old now, knows what they are doing and if you are washing delicates you put them in a bag of some kind of (mesh laundry bag or zippered pillow case) to make sure they do not get damaged.

Some have said you need to get a hose for your sink or bath tub faucet, I would agree, I installed faucets (long before I knew what a Panda Mini Washer was) that the water areator its self is a hose sprayer so I just pull it out and fill it. I would agree with them, you do need this or one that connects up and you can fill it. It is a lot easier.

Well worth it BUT...Needs longer drain hose.

*************UPDATE DRAIN HOSE DIRECTIONS UPGRADE 6/10/2012**************************

I have extended the hose on the Panda Mini Washer, here is what you will need.

One (1) 5 Foot or longer section of clear vinyl tubing 3/4" x O.D. (Outside Diameter) X 5/8" ID (Inside Diameter)(Amazon sells this for $29.70 per 100 feet, you might find a local store (like Fleet Farm or Menards) that sells this in whatever length you want. Even at Amazon's price it is well worth it)

Two (2) 3/4" pipe clamps

One (1) Garden Hose Coupling 3/4" FH x 3/4" O.D. (vinyl, nylon or plastic metal is too heavy)(I used Watts brand)

One (1) Nylon Hose Barb Adapter 5/8" I.D. x 3/4" M/P (I used Watts brand)

Removing the small plastic hose that is already attached to the Panda Mini Washer (PMW) is NOT recommmended, it voids your warranty and it is affixed very securely.

1. Remove the PMW's hose keeper by slightly bending the plastic hose, you will no longer need it. Store this in a safe place if you need to revert back to the PMW's original configuration.

2. Screw the Garden Hose Coupling to the Nylon Hose barb, make sure the washer is in place in side the Garden Hose Coupling.

3. Put One (1) 3/4" pipe clamp on the PMW's plastic hose and One (1) 3/4" pipe clamp on the clear vinyl tubing.

4. Put the 5/8" Nylon hose barb adapter on to the clear vinyl tubing and close the 3/4" pipe clamp.

5. Now place the 3/4" Garden hose coupling on to PMW's drain hose. Close the 3/4" pipe clamp.

Your Panda Mini Washer now has a longer hose and can be filled with water just below the "Mini" name plate any higher and it leaks out between the blue wash tub and the lid/time control top. This really made a big difference in how well it washed the clothing and No more water spilling out the drain hose.

REMEMBER TO PUT THE NEW LONGER DRAIN HOSE HIGHER THAN THE LEVEL OF THE WASHER OTHERWISE YOUR WASHER WILL DRAIN THE WATER OUT.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great machine, October 22, 2011
My small condo does not have room for a washing machine and the laundry facility for the complex is too small for the number of appartments. I ended up doing some personal items by hand in between with mixed results. A friend suggested one of those gadgets that look like an oversized blender which she used for her lingery and some other small items. It seemed to work ok but it was rather small. When I researched it on the internet I came across this little gem and ordered it instead. I liked the larger capacity and the drain made it easier to empty the water. The Panda does not have a spin cycle so I bought the table top spin dryer along with it. That was about 6 months ago and I have not made a single trip to the laudramat since then.(I will have to go there for the flannell sheets, rugs, sofa slip covers, etc) It holds about a third of a normal sized load. Since the "cycles" can be modified depending on how soiled the items are I noticed that clothes are getting visibly cleaner than with the "one wash fits all" of the commercial washing machines.I pre soak or pre wash stained items and double or triple rinse everything to remove detergent residue which dulls the colors and makes whites look gray after a while.
After some trial and error I found the best way to do my laundry is to put a large plastic foot stool inside the bathtub (use an old towel or rubber mat under it to prevent scratches) and place the washer on top of it.It should sit securely, Use the hand shower to fill it and drain the water right into the tub when done. I usually wring the clothes lightly by hand before and between rinsings but you can use the spin dryer instead. After a final spin they are just damp and ready to hang to dry. From start to finish it takes a little longer than the usual 30 minute cycle, but I don't have to sit in a basement forever waiting for a machine to become available and I can do other things around the appartment instead.
The Panda has made my life easier and has payed for itself many times over. I would buy it again in a heartbeat.

1.0 out of 5 stars Be Aware of its Warranty!!!!!!!, July 8, 2013
I just bought a brand new machine for my mother about 3 months ago at total cost of $105.39. She didn't use it very often.
Today, the machine was totally dead! I contacted the company, and copied some emails from them as followings:

"The Panda mini washer comes with 6 months warranty."

"If the product is damaged or defective within 15 days after receiving the product, we will ship the replacement at our costs.
We do offer free parts and maintenance instruction within 6 months, but buyer will be pay for the shipping."

"Note: Installation of the motor may be difficult, we could request the picture instruction for you, however, we recommend you to ask your friends for help if they have some maintenance skills."

They told me to check the belt first, and I checked the belt looked no problem. Then they told me the motor was dead...I would have to pay $18 shipping fee and I would have to install a motor by myself!!! I don't have a friend who has such machine maintenance skills.

How much does that cost to hire someone to install a motor in the U.S.?!

What a kind of warranty it is! You have to pay the cost of shipping and installing...so be prepared.

2.0 out of 5 stars works well, but the hoses are crap, August 18, 2012
I received my Panda washer this week, and have done about five loads of wash. Overall, it does the job well. yes, it is more labor intensive than an automatic washer, but this isn't an automatic washer. I think the reviewers who complain that it is too much work have never had to do a lot of laundry by hand.

I live and travel full time in a 27 foot rv, and I needed something small to travel with because going to the laundromat just blows. When my kids were little I did six months of washing all our laundry by hand in a five gallon bucket with a plunger, and I don't really care to go that route again.

The pros:
*Small and light, easy to set up and move around
*Does a good job getting the clothes clean. Rather than do a pre-soak, like some do, I prefer to do a 12-15 minute wash and rinse twice.
*Holds a lot more clothes than you realize. My first load was 10 undies, a bra, three light cotton dresses, two light cotton skirts and two cotton shirts. Everything came out clean.
*The flat agitator is amazingly efficient, just as efficient as a stand-up agitator.
*VERY quiet. I was concerned the noise might bother my neighbors but I barely even hear it when it is running.
*At 170 watts I can use it with my solar system if necessary.

The cons:
*The hoses are crap. I've seen kiddie toys with better quality hoses than they put on this thing. I know they are trying to keep costs down, but they need to spend the extra few pennies and upgrade the quality of the hoses. My fill hose burst on the second load due to water pressure, and I was only using about 25% pressure.
*The fill hose is supposed to fit over your faucet. I checked it on my kitchen just out of curiosity. I really doubt it would stay on a faucet at full pressure for very long.
*The drain hose is just too short, only about 12 inches.

I saw a previous reviewer that modified her hoses. Clever, but in my opinion complicated and expensive. here is my mod on the hoses:

For fill hose:
1 garden hose female repair end
1 garden hose male to female connector with valve
3 feet 1/2 inch vinyl tubing
Gorilla glue

Heat two inches of the vinyl tubing over a low flame on the stove until it is warm, not hot or on fire lol. Stick a pair of blunt end scissors up the hot end of the tube and let it cool. Do this a few times until the end of the hose has stretched enough to make a snug fit over the water inlet. Drizzle a thin stream of gorilla glue inside the stretched end of the hose and slip it over the inlet. Clamp in place until the glue dries. After the glue dries, shove the other end of the tubing onto the garden hose repair end and tighten it down. Attach the garden hose valve end to a hose, and connect it to the hose end on the vinyl tubing. You now have an on/off to fill the tub as needed.

For drain hose:
3 feet (or more, whatever you need) of 3/4 inch inside diameter vinyl tubing
1 hose clamp

Slide the end of the vinyl tube over the end of the drain hose and tighten down the clamp. Drop the drain hose to drain. I still attach to the side with the included clip, but let the now-longer end hang over my drain bucket.

Doing one wash and two rinses will use about ten gallons of water.

I drain my water into a five gallon bucket and either use it to flush the toilet or water plants (I use biodegradable soap). A little bit of work, but much nicer than the laundromat, I can do the wash while I sit outside and work.

As I said, it gets the job done, is fairly simple, and easy to travel with. Also, don't buy it for the "bonus" laundry basket, it is just one of those tiny little spring loaded mesh baskets you can buy at the dollar store.

**UPDATE 10/7** Yesterday the drain hose sprouted a leak for no apparent reason. I do 3-5 loads a week in this washer. As a tiny washer it works fine, but as stated above, the hoses are crap. If I could go back I would buy a different washer. yes, it does wash the clothes, but the whole cheap hoses thing is a hassle. I bought a few feet of 1 inch diameter vinyl hose and just shoved the whole drain hose inside it, then applied a hose clamp. End of leak. However, I expect it will start leaking from the inside soon at the rate the hoses are breaking down. If that happens I'm just going to take the whole thing apart and add good hoses like it should have had in the first place. For a hundred bucks it should last longer than two months.

Also, it's available for less elsewhere without the Panda brand name. Look for RV supplies.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant Little Powerhouse of a Machine, October 2, 2012
I'd first like to thank all the generous reviewers who provided helpful, descriptive reviews and/or videos. I wouldn't have purchased this little washer without being able to consult those reviews and instructional videos. As mentioned by others, be aware that the vigorous washing action can make a copious amount of suds out of very little detergent, so until you've had more experience with the Panda, start off using even less soap than the small amount recommended -- you can always add more if needed. Also, the machine agitates briefly in one direction, then pauses and agitates in the opposite direction, which results in more vibration than if it agitated continuously and smoothly throughout the cycle. I mention this because apartment dwellers might want to be aware that the vibration caused by the start-stop agitation can be disruptive to neighbors. I just make sure I use it during daytime hours only, and all is well. I love that I can use the Panda to soak some items for an effective period of time without inconveniencing my neighbors by stopping the cycle to allow for soaking when using our shared laundry room washers. With its surprisingly strong agitation, the Panda gets clothes much cleaner than using our building's commercial washers. The only downside is rinsing and wringing out your cleaned clothing, but I've now managed a workable routine. When using the machine, I place it on a small, sturdy square plastic bench next to the bathtub at tub-edge height, and let it do its work there. Then, after unhooking the hose and letting it down to drain into the bathtub, I use my Showerpik shower head to run clean water into the machine while it's still draining. Once the draining water is fairly clear of suds, I fill the machine once more with clean water and a bit of white vinegar and let it agitate briefly to rinse thoroughly. After draining a final time, I let the clothes sit in the machine for a bit while the drain tube is still down in the bath. About half an hour later, there's not even a trickle coming from the hose, and I find that my clothes have surprisingly little water left to wring out manually. One handy hint: Using about a quarter of a cup of white vinegar in the rinse water helps remove soap residue from clothes, and vinegar's anti-bacterial/anti-fungal properties means that your clothes won't get funky and mildewed if you forget and leave them in the machine for a few hours. Vinegar is also a natural fabric softener, and rinses out thoroughly, so your clothes are soap-free and softer, all without any residual vinegar smell. It also keeps your machine and its tubes soap-residue free, and again, its anti-fungal properties keep the machine smelling clean.

Thanks again, fellow reviewers, for all the helpful info that allowed me to make the decision to invest in this amazingly effective little washer.

P.S. Delivery was prompt, and all parts were packed well and in working order. However, I couldn't use the washer immediately because the chemical smell from the plastic was so overwhelming and toxic-smelling that I had to put it out on my deck to air for a few days before bringing it back inside. Even so, the smell was still unpleasantly overwhelming. Makes me concerned about the health of the employees who work in the plants where these machines are manufactured...

5/16/13 Update: The instructions that come with the Panda mention unscrewing the agitator plate at the inside bottom of the washer from time to time, to remove any lint/strings that might slow down agitation. I can get the screw out, but the plate won't come off, so I can't clean it.

1.0 out of 5 stars I hate this so much., January 29, 2014
I did think twice about buying this product, but I still did and hoped for the best. I was excited to get it, but that quickly went downhill from there. It's true the item had no protective covering around in inside the flimsy box. It's also true that the hoses were flimsy, I expected it from the reviews. I followed instructions to make sure they're connected properly but there were leaks EVERYWHERE. I adjusted the water level (at this point I haven't put any clothes in it) based on the other reviews and it still leaked. Turns out it leaks from the inside the machine where the drain hose is. So I thought, okay I'll just put this in the tub then so it doesn't leak everywhere. I read in the previous reviews that it would be wiser to get a protective laundry garment bag so your clothes don't get caught or damaged so I did that. I tested one baby blanket in a garment bag, and it SHREDDED the garment bag AND the baby blanket. 20 minutes of cleaning later, I started the returns process. This was the day I got this machine.

*UPDATE*
There seems to be an English communication problem, I wrote one of my reasons for returning the item apart from the leaky hoses is that it 'severely damaged washed items'. I was e-mailed that they need a picture of the washer so that they can file a claim to UPS to replace my washer, because it is always destroyed in transit. (Suggestion: Maybe pack it better so it doesn't get destroyed in transit?) They thought that I said severely damaged WASHER. I e-mailed them back to tell them I just want to ship this thing back because of the grief it's caused. They e-mailed back saying if take a picture of the damaged in transit washer. I am so pissed off right now I'm thinking of sending them a picture of my destroyed blanket and washing bag.

*UPDATE*
Now receiving spam e-mail.

*UPDATE*
Had to pay $37, to 'return' item.

*UPDATE*
5 days after USPS tracking and signature confirmation that the item was received, I haven't gotten my money back nor an e-mail from the seller that they have the item. Thank goodness for Amazon customer service! They are helping me to get my refund.