5.0 out of 5 stars Best travel bag ever
Published on April 24, 2008 by Khun Nali

3.0 out of 5 stars Coulda, shoulda, woulda
This "coulda" been the greatest travel bag ever, the maker "shoulda" made a few adjustments in design and if they had, I "woulda" given it 5 stars.

I wanted a travel purse, with slash-resistant strap and body, lots of pockets--one that would remove the need to carry a day-pack when traveling. What this had (negatives):
1. two, small zippered outer pockets,...
Published on September 20, 2009 by lagirl55

5.0 out of 5 stars Best travel bag ever, April 24, 2008
This review is from: Pacsafe CitySafe 200 Anti-Theft Hand Bag (Apparel)
I bought one of these before I moved to the jungles of Thailand for 6 months and I must admit, as a poor traveler I balked at the price and I had my doubts about it's claims of anti-theft. I carried this bag with me every single day, through four different Southeast Asian countries, in cities, in jungles, airports, on busses, trains, and taxis. This bag survived crowded markets with sly thieves and "slash artists", three motorcycle accidents, rainstorms, dust storms, a riot and more wild stories than I can recount. In that entire time I was never robbed, and my things (namely, my notebooks and camera and phone) never got wet. The inside is roomy, and there aren't too many pockets for things to get lost in. The zipper has a clip on it so when you feel you need some extra safety you can lock it and unlock it quickly and discreetly. When I used it I had a small wallet with a little chain that clipped nicely into the inside of the bag so I could always find my money fast, and never worried about someone lifting it while I wasn't paying attention.

I like this bag because of the anti-theft, but it also doesn't look as ugly as most travel bags tend to. Although it certainly isn't something that I would carry around at home, it doesn't scream "tourist" and if you buy the black one it's unobtrusive and doesn't call attention to itself.

At the very end of my stay the steel wires in the straps started to fray and poke out, scratching my arms. However, when you take into account that this bag was on my person literally every day for 6 months it's hard to be critical. I would buy it again, and I would recommend it to anyone who is traveling in an area where they worry about theft.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well worth the money, March 11, 2009
This review is from: Pacsafe CitySafe 200 Anti-Theft Hand Bag (Apparel)
I was able to see this bag in reality at my local REI, explore the inside, and try it on before buying. It seemed to be what I'd been looking for so I went for it (a red one). And it has worked out so well over the past couple of years, that I am ready to buy a black one.

Versatility: wear it over your shoulder, across your body, or even as a pseudo backpack (how we used to wear our school satchels in pre-backpack days in England): (1) hang the bag over your right shoulder; (2) reach your left arm around behind you and hook it through the left side of the strap to hoist it on your back. Convert it back to a shoulder bag in seconds and wear it into museums. Try that with a regular backpack -- they'll make you check it! With this you can carry all your valuables with you.

Safety: All the safety features the manufacturer's description mentions work very well. And if you're going the backpack route, you can wear it so that the two exterior zipped pockets are against your back. Only the side pockets are exposed -- i.e., water bottle and folding umbrella. Nothing is 100 percent theft-proof but if you do that and fasten the main zipper with the safety feature, it's about the best you can do on your back. I looked at a lot of backpack-shoulder bag combos, and everything I saw left the front of the bag exposed once you wore it as a backpack. (Remember, if you're in a crowded place, you are always best to keep the bag across your body and in front of you.)

Capacity: For me it works fine. It's not a camera bag but on travel it will carry my Olympus SLR and one lens (and the external flash if I really felt I needed it) along with an umbrella, a guidebook, maybe a cardigan, a bottle of water, my PDA and cell phone. (By the way, I ALWAYS carry just enough money for the day and my credit card in a small, flat purse that I wear across my body or in a money belt.) The bag won't carry a laptop, but it will carry a netbook of the size of an Acer Aspire One or similar. You could add a small point-and-shoot and a paperback or a Kindle/other e-book reader, or a small sketchbook and pencils.

Organization: There are interior pockets: one long zipped pocket and one shorter zipped pocket (e.g. makeup, credit cards); then there are gusseted pockets in the main part of the bag, one of which is Velcro fastened. For me the bag has hit it right. I've owned bags with more pockets than I need and they end up unused and getting in the way when I try and put larger stuff in main part of the bag.

Those are the pros, and honestly I can't think of any cons. I use mine as a daytime purse-cum-small totebag in the city as well as for travel. No, it wouldn't look too cool at the opera, but nothing is all-purpose.

Last time I was in London a friend commented on the bag and said she wished she could get one like it. I sent her one and she is very happy.

3.0 out of 5 stars Coulda, shoulda, woulda, September 20, 2009
This review is from: Pacsafe CitySafe 200 Anti-Theft Hand Bag (Apparel)

1. two, small zippered outer pockets, which were useless.
2. a water-bottle end pocket which was so tight I couldn't find a water bottle which would fit.
3. an umbrella end pocket, which only my eyeglasses fit into. Never found an umbrella which would fit into it.
4. useless card slots inside. Tried putting my library card into one of these and they are so loose it slipped right out. So much for using these for a credit card or driver's license.

So I took this brand-new purse, ripped out the side seams, made some alterations and now it has the following:
1. Removing the stitching between the two small zippered outer pockets gives one large zippered outer pocket, perfect for maps, brochures, etc.
2. Replacing the water bottle and umbrella end pockets with black mesh water bottle pockets with cord locks made these much more useful. In addition to holding water bottles, the cord lock allows each to hold things such as bottles of hand sanitizer.
3. While the side seam was open, I tore into the useless card slots and made them into another pocket, with Velcro closure.

This is now, truly, the perfect travel purse and I love it.
But why did I have to do such alterations on a new purse?
Didn't anyone at the manufacturer ever try using the thing?
-M

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Travel Bag and Has Become Everyday Bag, December 19, 2010
This review is from: Pacsafe CitySafe 200 Anti-Theft Hand Bag (Apparel)
I am really appreciating the size, convenience, and security of my PacSafe CitySafe 200 handbag. A key word in that statement is, "handbag." I admit that for many of my trips it would have been too small to be considered as my 2nd carry on. But for an upcoming trip to Europe, I wanted to pack light. It is ample size to carry anything I need to have easy access to on the plane. Yet it's also small enough that on the way home, I can put it in a larger bag. {Stow larger bag in overhead and keep handbag with me.}

Because of negative comments and reviews, I decided to see one of these before making my purchase. When I went to a local business to see this bag {and others} I took along my Raines umbrella, some travel guides for Germany, and my 20 oz Diet Pepsi. Everything from my current leather purse fit plus the items I brought with me. So maybe the company took to heart some of the comments about bottles & umbrellas not fitting in side pockets? Mine fit perfectly. Also, I had seen that there were 2 small outside pockets. Now the outside pocket is one long zippered compartment. It's perfect for holding maps, brochures, and even smaller travel guides. I like to keep a yearly calendar book in there.

I love that it carries everything I need, I have plenty of room, it's easy to organize and it's a lot lighter than my leather purses. Granted, it's not a dressy purse. But I have other purses for that. However, I went with black because when traveling it's easy to coordinate as most of my wardrobe will be black. Also, black is less likely to show dirt and easier to keep looking clean. The lighter color inside makes it easier to find items in the purse.

I had not planned on this becoming a daily bag at home. But that is what has happened. Between trips to the hospital, doctor's offices and running errands; it has been very versatile. I've taken advantage of the safety features already. Most times I do lock the purse and when it's not on my shoulder it's secured next to me. It seems to be of top quality and very well made.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delivers as promised, stylishly, December 3, 2008
This review is from: Pacsafe CitySafe 200 Anti-Theft Hand Bag (Apparel)
I also hesitated for a long time about this bag, not certain if it was worth the cost. It wasn't until a friend had her purse slashed twice while she lived in Ecuador that I decided to go for it. I just took it on a trip to Mexico and was very pleased with it.

The anti-theft features are good - I haven't had the slash-proof technology tested (yet?) so I can't speak to it, but I know it's this company's strength, so I hope and assume it will work. But the zipper closure clip and the shoulder strap that can be fastened around a chair are wonderful features that I used every day. It brought me significant peace of mind - I think I didn't realize how anxious I used to be until I was able to stop worrying.

I looked at black in person at REI but it looked to boring for me, so I bought the red and I love the color! (And I got a lot of compliments on it.) It's ever so slightly bulky, because of the padding, but by the same token the main compartment could easily fit a guide book, an umbrella, and a windbreaker, not to mention a camera, map and sunglasses...so I think a little bulky is worth it.

For Christmas this year, I'm planning to buy one for the unfortunate friend who had her bag slashed. I could see it being a good present for adventuresome friends for years to come.

I'm ever so slightly concerned to hear that another reviewer had the wires fray, and I hope that won't happen as I plan to use it whenever I travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Travel Bag!, July 23, 2010
This review is from: Pacsafe CitySafe 200 Anti-Theft Hand Bag (Apparel)
I read many reviews for the Pacsafe 200 before ordering, and was very excited when it arrived this week. I just wanted to report back on one of the few complaints other reviewers have had - that the side pocket was split into two unusable compartments. It appears that the manufacturer has listen because it is no longer the case! Just one nice big side pocket, perfect for boarding passes or maps. I was also a little worried that the bag would look too big on my 5'4" frame, but while it holds a great deal it is still a perfect size for a day bag. I can't wait to take this with me to Europe next week, and I'm already planning on getting one for my mom, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the Money, March 4, 2009
S. Armstrong (Kure Beach, NC United States) - See all my reviews
After having a purse strap almost cut through in Istanbul last year, I bought this to take on a South American trip. Great bag; it performed as advertised and came home intact. It was a good investment to protect monies, passport, etc. Very well made; lots of interior pockets. I will be buying the smaller one for US travel.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Travel Purse, October 9, 2010
scc917 (Olympia, WA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pacsafe CitySafe 200 Anti-Theft Hand Bag (Apparel)
After a long search, I found this bag is the best for travel. The security features are all great, and the size is just big enough to fit a large camera, netbook, reading book, and a couple extras. It is not as puffed-up as shown in the photos; it is a medium sized bag. The strap is comfortable, but make sure to break it in before taking off on your trip. I picked mine up at REI for the same price as advertised on PacSafe's website. It is different than the model shown on Amazon:

1) The water bottle pocket does not have a vertical zipper, but it does expand with an eslatic and mesh panel to accomodate water bottles equal to the size of Camelbak 16 and 25 ounce bottles. If you are using a normal sized water bottle, you will have no issue using this pocket.

2) The two small exterior pockets (not shown in the photos) are now one large zippered pocket that spans the length of the bag. This pocket sits against your body and is the right size for folded maps and brochures.

For a day bag, you really don't need anything larger. Most of the complaints in other reviews have been addressed by the manufacturer in this new design. Don't have any doubts, this is a great product!

3.0 out of 5 stars Travel Handbag, September 23, 2009
When the bag arrived I liked it -- actually returned an alternative bag I'd also purchased previously. I liked the color and layout, but in use, I found the bag to be heavy and awkward. The features that make the bag secure (the wires, the mesh, the padding, etc.) add weight and cause it to be stiff. I used it for 12 days tramping around Portugal and Spain, and it held everything I needed for the day, but I would caution those considering it to be wary of the size and weight.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect travel purse!, July 12, 2012
Susan T. Riggs (Fayetteville, AR) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pacsafe CitySafe 200 Anti-Theft Hand Bag (Apparel)
I purchased this purse for a trip to the U.K. And it was wonderful. I called it my James Bond/Mary Poppins purse. The James Bond part was the protective construction that gave me a sense of security from having the strap or bottom of the bag cut and from having passport or credit card numbers stolen. In crowded places, I always kept it on my lap or across my body, but when eating in an uncrowded place, I might attach it to the chair next to me and lock the strap and the zipper. Our travel agent said she'd had a client who had flown into London and before she got to immigration, her purse bottom was cut with a box cutter and everything was stolen.
The Mary Poppins part really was kind of magical. The purse weighs less than a pound when empty and holds an amazing amount of stuff in an organized way. I always had the fold up umbrella on one end and a water bottle on the other (Dasani bottles will fit but not as easily as straight bottles). My husband and I have some needs for medical conditions--in went a couple of pill bottles and some peanuts. For down time--a small journal, Soduku book, pens, pencils, and an iPad. Plus the day's plans, my money, our sunglasses, and sometimes a wadded up rain jacket or two. I didn't take a carry on, just the purse. On the way home it weighed over 6 pounds! Of course, I didn't carry that much when sightseeing. My husband would ask if we had something and, magically, I would produce it. The other very nice thing is it looks like a messenger bag, so my husband often carried it and didn't mind at all. It got wet in the constant rain we experienced--no problem.
I highly recommend this bag!