Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Paddle to the Sea (The Criterion Collection)
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer WienerDog WienerDog WienerDog  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: DVD|Change

on November 22, 2001
As an English teacher, I am so sorry to read the negative reviews of the two young people. I am in awe of Hollingsworth's ability to tell a good story for students. I own his books, albeit worn and well-read, and I am buying this film for my grandson, so I hope it is the one I saw when I was doing my PHD in children's literature in the early 1970. I have never forgotten the story. Perhaps our young people today are used to blood and guts, and fail to understand there is sweetness in life, too. I love Paddle to the Sea.
11 comment|68 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 12, 2008
"Paddle to the Sea" is the story of a carving of an Indian in a canoe that is placed in the snows of upper Lake Superior, and which has as its goal reaching the Atlantic ocean. A legend written on the carving asks that anyone who finds him please put him back in the water. His passage through lakes, locks, and rivers is depicted in scenes of great beauty alternating with scenes of industrialization and pollution. Whether or not Paddle to the Sea will make it keeps arising as an issue, and the original beauty of the carving degrades as it traverses seemingly insurmountable barriers. This is a movie that MOVES you... an emotional experience as gripping as any, done with simplicity and without dialogue. It should not be missed.
on February 5, 2004
I love this video! I borrowed it from the local library and we don't want to take it back so I decided to buy it. My son and I have watched it every day for a week. It is so beautiful. It takes you into a magical world. It is so much better than the flashy cartoons you get so often. This is the best kids video we have ever found. I wish it weren't so expensive. This video will delight you if you have any sense of the beauty of nature and the magic world of a child's imagination.
on July 1, 2008
This is the kind of film that works its way into your subconscious. A boy carves a small wooden canoe with one wooden passenger...an all-watchful Native American...and sends the small craft into a frozen lake so that it can journey thousands of miles to the ocean. To keep the canoe afloat, the boy pours a bar of lead into the bottom of the canoe. "I am Paddle to the Sea" the boat tells us. The film tracks its journey past frogs, deer, and snakes, past ice and storm, even past the rushing currents of Niagara Falls. A few individuals fish it out of the water but on seeing the instructions (carved on the bottom of the boat) they wisely return the craft back into the lake or stream from whence it came. Thus, the canoe returns to its mysterious source. This is a fine contemplative film that makes us meditate on our own personal journeys, our own attachments, and our own connection to the living world (After all, the canoe started out as part of a tree). In a 21st century world where too many children's films are violent or meaningless, this is a perfect gift for youngsters five and upwards.
on December 5, 2014
Only one of the best movies of all time for kids that went to elementary school in the 80s. I remember this movie as it was played on the original 16 mm film. Also, the book is a great addition to this and is fun to read with your kids. I recommend picking that up.
VINE VOICEon August 8, 2008
This little film is just really fun to watch. I love the idea behind it, and teachers using it in the classroom will want to either read the book to their students first, or explain the premise, as the narration in the film is quite subtle regarding the boy's illness and why he himself cannot 'paddle to the sea.' Very young kids will appreciate all the animals that interact with the canoe, and the film presents the opportunity to segue into science or history or geography lessons.
on August 1, 2008
Having first met Paddle to the Sea in print as a child, and having been fascinated by it, I felt this was a true interpretation and faithful to the book. I would introduce the child first to the book and then to the DVD.
on May 8, 2008
I grew up attending elementary school in Milan, Michigan in the early 1970s. Once a year, our class would pack into our tiny cafeteria to see a classic filmstrip: Paddle-to-the-Sea. This short film has been restored way better than I ever got to experience it back then. An excellent teaching primer, and just enjoyable to reminisce to. I've shared it with my daughter, who is now in first grade, and she really enjoyed it.
on August 4, 2015
I grew up in Canada and was so fortunate to have teachers who treated us to some wonderful National Film board treasures. This was one of them. I have since seen it many times. I bought this for my grandchildren so I can enjoy it through new eyes. It reminds me of my Canadian roots and simpler times.
on December 3, 1999
I LOVED THE MOVIE PADDLE TO THE SEA AS A CHILD IN THE 1960'S. I AM LOOKING FOR THE OLD MOVIE VERSION FOR MY OWN CHILDREN AND CANNOT FIND IT. I HAVE NOT SEEN THE 1996 ANIMATED VERSION.