3,708 Reviews

1,062 of 1,192 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad features
Published on June 4, 2008 by Army Aviation1

3,695 of 3,743 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars if you're trying to avoid pasta but love that noodle-y experience..., July 3, 2010
This review is from: Paderno World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer (Kitchen)
EDIT SEPTEMBER 2014 - I far far far prefer this to the newer four blade version just released. If you are deciding between the two I think there is no comparison. While the newer version looks slicker and is more self contained, it just doesn't handle the veggies anywhere near as well as this one does. I've reviewed the other machine if you want to have a look and see my issues with it.

I had to interrupt my cooking to write this review. Believe me, I am not easily moved to write product reviews. This would be my second here on amazon (since the writing of this review three years ago I have added a few more product reviews here on amazon).
But, this little turning slicer is amazing. Simply amazing. It makes quick work of everything I throw at it and to date that would include:
radishes
carrots
cucumbers
onions (they work a little differently from the other vegetables)
kohlrabi (makes a fabulous, refreshing salad)
zucchini (I can never remember how many "Ns" are in that vegetable)
apples and,
sweet potatoes
I may even have done a celeriac but I can't recall for sure.
This device never balks.

And it is a pleasure to clean.

I had to give up pasta a few months back and I found myself missing the act of twirling long strands of food on a fork. It was then that I searched for a spiral slicer, not sure if one existed that could meet my fork twirling needs. I bought this little gem because I figured it was inexpensive enough that if I didn't like it all that much, it wouldn't be too much of a hardship.
Honestly, for what this does I would easily pay twice or three times the price.
As I write this I am in the middle of spiralling cucumbers for the old family cucumber salad recipe. Many of the strands that come out of this thing get close to 2 feet long. Food prep doesn't get much more fun than that. The First four (large) cucumbers took all of 4 minutes to break down into perfect, long, spirally strands. I have four more to go when I finish this review.

Okay, some of the reviewers here have complained that you lose about 3/8ths from the center of anything you are spiraling, and this is indeed true. In the case of cucumbers, that means that the device is essentially getting rid of those pesky seeds for you but in the case of a carrot, you lose a bit of viable vegetable. Do I mind this? NO, who cares. Use that center 3/8ths carrot piece for something else, or snack on it while you shred the rest of your veggies. Its not as if the center 3/8ths isn't usable, it just isn't made into long spirally strands. So, it wouldn't make sense to try to shred baby carrots or asparagus because they aren't much larger than 3/8ths of an inch so there wouldn't be much to spiral.

I can't speak to the durability of this slicer because, alas, I've only owned it for two months as of this writing. So far so good however and it does seem durable. It is well designed. The extra blades snap into a holder in the middle of the slicer so you aren't likely to lose them nor are you likely to cut yourself on them inadvertantly. Though lightweight, the whole unit feels fairly sturdy and I can't imagine needing to replace it for a long long time. The whole thing suctions onto your work surface which makes it very manageable. I've started using it in preparations where hitherto I've used a mandolin slicer. This spiral slicer doesn't make it easy to cut off fingertips the way you can with a mandolin.

On a final note before I get back to the cucumber salad.... I do not like kitchen devices that make a job longer than it needs to be and that includes gadgets that take forever to clean or have sharp edges to wash and be careful of. You could hurt yourself with this thing but honestly you would have to try pretty hard to do that. it doesn't want to hurt you and the company seem to have thought of everything so that it would only really injure someone determined to draw blood. it is not a child's toy however and so it requires the same respect you would give any other item with sharp blades.

There is one minor quibble I have with the device and hope that the company reads this and deals with it in a future incarnation of the product... when the spirals come out it is a little bit difficult to manage where they will end up. It would be nice if they design a catch basin type thing for the strands as they fall from the blades. This is a minor quibble because you really can catch all the strands if you're careful but I just don't want to have to be careful all the time.

Okay, that's it, back to my cucumber salad.

EDITED July 2013 -- THOUGHTS AFTER 3 YEARS OF OWNERSHIP:

I still absolutely love this thing. It continues to work flawlessly and fairly effortlessly, breaking down all kinds of vegetables. Admittedly my favorites are cucumbers and zucchini but I have spiralized many others as noted above. In all this time it hasn't stained (as many of these gadgets do) and the blades don't seem to have lost any of their effectiveness. I admit that cleaning it, while still relatively easy, is not child's play. Still, it doesn't take long.

I used to put my zucchini noodles in a vegetable basket on the grill with some spiralized onions and coated with a bit of olive oil, salt, pepper and garlic and they were a crowd pleaser every time. But it has been brutally hot and humid here so I thought I would go for something a little more refreshing. I served the noodles raw (using the smallest blade) and coated them with a homemade "guacamole" sauce. This was another crowd pleaser and rivals the cucumber salad.

3 years later and I can't sing the praises of this thing highly enough. I just really don't understand the naysayers.... particularly the folks who complain about the wasted vegetable "core" Get creative and find something to do with it. Challenge yourself!

Most of all I am impressed by how well this thing has held up.

UPDATE AUGUST 2013....

There seems to be much debate about whether this little unit suctions effectively to the work surface. For me, it does. I have a polished granite countertop. I am going to guess that this suctions much less well (if at all) to some lightly textured formicas. That may well be where the debate stems from.

RECIPES....

UPDATE APRIL 2014
A BLOG AT LAST! I am just starting to blog my recipes. The first four have been posted but am hoping to get many more up and running.....
okay. here's the blog address spelled out.... my website is s n o o t y d o g - dot - c o m. There is a link at the top of the page for my blog. Let me know if you find it useful

2,953 of 3,064 people found the following review helpful
5.0 out of 5 stars Spirooli, Oh Spirooli..., May 4, 2011
Spirooli, Oh Spirooli. You are the best kitchen gadget (pertaining to hard cell-walled vegetables) of all time. No joke.

Here are some tips to blatantly counteract the previous less than favorable reviews and complaints about your stellar awesomeness:

1-"Waaaa- It stains too easily" Um...yeah...if you make delicious curly sweet potato fries and go watch CMT for the rest of the afternoon of course the natural dyes are going to stain the device. It's plastic for goodness sake. Clean the tines with a toothbrush and some baking soda within a reasonable timeframe and you will be relatively stain free & much more sanitary.

2-"Booo-The suction cups on the feet dont work" Stop lying-they totally do. My question to you sherlock, do you have the totally rad spirooli on a non-porous surface? Go ahead and check it out. Do ya? I bet you dont! Because my little guy sticks to my counter like no one's business.

3-"Bleeehhh-Its hard to clean" Whoa. Im guessing that you dont have knives in your house either--for they must also be hard to clean. Respect the blades, and no one gets hurt. (...That's What Edward Scissorhands Said) Use the toothbrush or grab your vegetable cleaning brush. Ew-you dont have a vegetable cleaning brush? how did you scrub yr potato?

4-"Weeeeeeep- Its cheap plastic" Dude- if this thing were made of metal, it would be at least $200. Do you have that available in yr disposable income for the luxury of making vegetable spaghetti? Neither do I. We should be thankful the thing isn't made of cardboard for the low low price of 3 Hamiltons. Disclaimer: I would gladly pay two bills for an adamantium spirooli.

5-"OMG! there is a 3/4" core that I HAVE to waste?!?" Just because there is a byproduct of the mounds and mounds of luscious ribbons doesnt mean that you absolutely have to automatically toss it into the compost heap. Instead, I think you should: use the cores for dipping in delicious dip or freeze them to make a yummy vegetable stock in the near future or slice them with a vegetable peeler and then cut them into similar(be it smaller)ribbons or cut them into chips and play poker or give them to the local wildlife. The possibilities are endless. Also, some people have barred carrots because of the 'waste'. My suggestion is to go to your local quality proprietor of carrots and pick up a mama-jama sized carrots. Just today, I was in Whole Foods and I saw carrots the size of a cucumbers.

One last thing- do yourself a favor and get a dehydrator to go with this. You will be grateful you did.

*If you liked this review, be sure to check out all my other reviews on Amazon. I assure you, most are fairly entertaining.*

1,062 of 1,192 people found the following review helpful
3.0 out of 5 stars Good and Bad features, June 4, 2008
For the money this is not a bad spiral slicer considering some list for over 100 dollars. The real sticking point is the fixed forward axle for whatever you are slicing. It consists of a round hollow cutting edge with an approximate 3/8 opening. This simply means whatever you are slicing will lose a 3/8 cylinder from its center. This is accepatable with Cucumbers and Zuchini but does not leave much when slicing Carrots, Raddishes or any other small diameter veggies.
I would not recommend this if you intend to use it for these smaller veggies but for potatoes, Apples and the like it is OK.

4.0 out of 5 stars Comparison of Top Spiralizers, June 25, 2014
Length:: 5:01 Mins

Please watch the video first. I work in a kitchen that uses multiple spiralizers and am a spiralizer fanatic.
I made this comparison after recently following another comparison where we bought the preferred one and were rather disappointed with it and wanted to share so others can benefit from our experience
I tried to make it as short as possible by doing prep off camera but it is still 5 minutes. For time reasons and since it seems to be an exact clone (except for color) of the Brieftons, I did not include the New & Essential in the video.
We purchased these products at full price and have no positive or negative relationships with the sellers.

PDO - Paderno World Cuisine Vegetable Slicer (see, Paderno World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable Slicer) 774 grams

BTI - Bitoni Spiralizer (see, HOLIDAY SALE! Spiralizer Tri-Blade Vegetable Slicer, Strongest-and-Heaviest Duty Guarantee, Lifetime Replacement Warranty, Best Veggie Pasta & Spaghetti Maker for Low Carb/Paleo Healthy Vegetable Meals) 788 grams

N&E - New & Essential Spiral Slicer (see, New and Essential Spiralizer Tri-Blade Spiral Vegetable Slicer) 759 grams and

BFT - Brieftons Vegetable Slicer(see, Brieftons Tri-Blade Spiralizer: Vegetable Spiral Slicer with Strongest-Heaviest Guarantee, Lifetime Replacement Warranty, Fresh Veggie Spaghetti & Pasta Maker for Low Carb Healthy Vegetable Meals, Perfect Substitute for Paderno Spirooli and Gefu Spirelli) 759 grams

THE RESULTS:

The N&E got three stars because it is lower quality, performs poorly, has a 1 yr warranty with no contact info for customer service, but is decent value.
The BFT got three stars because it is lower quality and performs poorly and costs more than the N&E, but does offer a lifetime replacement warranty.
The BTI gets five stars because the quality and performance is better than the BFT and N&E, it has the lifetime replacement warranty, and is better value than the PDO.
The PDO gets four stars because the quality and performance is better than the BFT and N&E, but it does only have the 1 yr warranty.

THE CRITERIA:
After using these products every day, I think the most important considerations are product performance, durability, value, and warranty.
PERFORMANCE: I tested the slicers with sweet potatoes because their hardness really puts the slicers to the test. As the video shows the PDO and BTI performed well, but the BFT really struggled. It wasn't from any one thing, but a combination. The suction cup feet in the BFT and N&E are of a different rubber composition and don't hold nearly as well. The BFT and N&E handle and the part of the frame that holds the crank flex more than that of the PDO or BTI. And the BFT and N&E prongs on the vegetable holder are considerably smaller than the PDO or BTI and don't hold the vegetables as well and somewhat crumbled the end of the vegetable. Lastly, the blades don't seem to be as sharp on the BFT and N&E as the PDO and BTI, especially the shredder blades.

FIRST IMPRESSION: The BTI and PDO are white. The N&E is bluish white and the BFT is green. The PDO is about 2 inches shorter than the others because it has no platform extending from the rear of the machine, which is unnecessary. We actually back a bowl up flush at the back of the machine and the strands slide right in.

WARRANTY: The BFT and the BTI offer a lifetime replacement warranty. The PDO and the N&E have 1 yr warranties. This is critical.

DURABILITY: The PDO and the BTI are similar in quality and a substantial step up from the BFT and N&E. From the undersized hardware (see Photos) to the flexing frame, the difference is very important.

SUPPORT: PDO and BTI have toll free support numbers. BFT has email support. N&E has neither.

5.0 out of 5 stars LOVE THIS SPIRAL SLICER!!!, December 28, 2009
This is a must-have kitchen item for anyone who loves pasta and wishes to keep off extra weight while still enjoying all they want of it. As so many others have stated, this unit is more than sturdy enough to handle the job it was designed to do, my favorite being to make spaghetti out of zucchini.

While I love to eat healthy versions of childhood foods, my sister does not. She would not even try my zucchini pasta with marinara sauce the night I made it. So, I left some in a bowl for her to try later. The next day, I received a call from her to tell me she really liked the "fake pasta", BUT, she thought, it was because I had mixed it with real pasta. It took me a full 10 minutes to convince her that it was ALL zucchini, RAW zucchini, just warmed up by tossing it with hot spaghetti sauce!

She was ready to concede that the strands with green skin on them were zucchini, but it was almost impossible to get her to believe that the pale strands from the center were not made from semolina wheat. :) I gave her this unit because she needs to lose about 20 lbs. and part of her problem is she loves to eat spaghetti in the colder months. Unfortunately, I don't think she is actually using it because I still don't think she believes me! So, please know that this is NOT too good to be true: Zucchini spaghetti made with the tiniest cutting blade on this unit has the same texture and taste as real spaghetti when served warm with tomato sauce.

The best thing, though, is that besides being nutritionally superior to pasta made from grain, one can eat as much of it as one wants without ever feeling bloated or heavy - or putting on extra weight as a result. Just cut the zucchini into 2" long sections, set a section in place, and twirl it against the blade of this unit. Voila! Freshly made spaghetti pasta. You'll have no pot to clean and need no time for cooking. This unit rinses off very easily after using; and it takes me less than 5 minutes to wash a couple large zucchinis, cut them into 2" pieces, and run them through the spiral slicer. It seems almost effortless to make a huge bowl of al dente (zucchini) pasta, which I serve mixed with hot spaghetti sauce to warm (not cook) it up. Don't hesitate to buy and try it. It's actually FUN to use, too - it's like I'm a kid playing with my Play-Doh machine again, only what comes out is very healthy to eat!

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good!, August 10, 2013
Hopey (ventura, ca United States) - See all my reviews
Because I really love "zoodles" (and carrot, parsnip, butternut squash, and sweet potato noodles), I ordered ALL the highly rated julienne peelers/slicers on Amazon to compare.

The Paderno World Cuisine Tri-Blade Vegetable Slicer Paderno World Cuisine A4982799 Tri-Blade Plastic Spiral Vegetable failed and was returned immediately. It mangled the zucchini, didn't make noodles but clunky, misshapen strings, and wobbled all over the place. The suction cup feet were a joke. The carrot I tried never did get sliced into julienne strips but stayed in thick bands. (Yes, I had the julienne blade in!) And after slicing, the teeth were bent in all directions!

I can only figure that the one a reviewer bought & raved over 3 years ago was made by a different supplier. This sort of thing happens all the time... companies change suppliers for one reason or another and the quality goes down. Possibly the "good" recent reviews are for machines which were made 3 years ago and just now found in an attic???

I also tested the Gefu Spirelli Spiral Cutter GEFU Spirelli Spiral Cutter. It was about as disapointing as the Paderno and was returned right away. Read some of the 1 or 2 star reviews to understand why it was bad. Really never worked at all! Very gimmick-y. Makes me wonder if anyone actually tests these things before manufacturing them!

A few months ago, I purchased an OXO julienne peeler OXO Good Grips Julienne Peeler and enjoyed using it for about 4 meals when I noticed the blades (teeth) which score the food before being sliced were all bent at different angles! The blade didn't seem all that sharp and dragging it over a carrot or parsnip was sort of difficult. However it had the widest teeth at 3.7mm making nice fat zoodles.

Next I compared the Kuhn Rikon Kuhn Rikon Julienne Peeler with Blade Protector, Stainless Steel Handle and the MIU France MIU France Stainless Steel Swiss Peeler, Julienne Blade peelers. They both worked very well for hand-held tools. (Remember to anchor the base of the veggie, as one other reviewer noted, with a carving or large fork so you don't nick the fingers holding the veggie.)

The MIU worked great, easy to use, but a relatively short handle which I found harder to hold on to. Comes with no protective cover for the blade, but I made one out of 3" of clear plastic 1/2" diameter tubing slit all along the long side. The teeth are 3.3mm apart which makes a thin spaghetti-type noodle, but thicker than angel-hair.

The Kuhn Rikon has a nice long handle which I liked, and a cover for the VERY sharp blade. The teeth were only 2.2mm apart which makes a sort of angel-hair noodles rather than a spaghetti-type. Nice for root veggies like carrots and parsnips, and sweet potatoes; they cook quicker.

I hope this helps anyone wading through the julienne peeler swamp!

2.0 out of 5 stars not the best. gave it away. :(, July 30, 2012
R. Rath (Honolulu, HI) - See all my reviews
Not the best spiral slicer. It is cheapish plastic. I did not do my research and was unhappy with it. Two problems.

1. The finest blade is a notch coarser than the ones that restaurants use, so you will not get the very fine spiral cut cappellini beats and carrots that you get on restaurant salads.

2. It spiral cuts ok fatter strings and plain spiral slices (i.e. not julienned with the second blade) fine, but leaves a big core of waste -- like the core of an apple, but much smaller in diameter) from the best part (the center) of whatever you spiral cut, then stops working about a half inch from the end of the vegetable. So if you put in a fat carrot that is 3 inches long, you will get a 2 and a half inch cylinder with a cap on it, like a mushroom, of waste for the spirals you make.

I later got the Benriner Cook Helper Slicer for a few dollars more. It is a much simpler design, sturdier, with a comically bad set of English instructions (I imagine the Chinese instructions are spot on though), but was simple enought to figure out, had much less waste (no "core" cylinder, and a smaller "cap"), and made the super-fine cappellini vegetables I was looking for (also some wicked potato pancakes). Gave away the world cuisine one at a garage sale. Oh well.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paradigm shift in the way we eat!, May 1, 2012
Being a neuroscientist and researcher, I have struggled with the fact that my family doesn't get enough healthy meals. We constantly come across research that demonstrates plant-based diet prevents and even cures diseases (list too long to mention), but because of the culture of our kitchen, it is difficult to bring about the necessary change. Thanks to this item, I can make delicious meals in minutes, and know that my family is getting great food. I can't thank enough the people who created this. THANK YOU!!!!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Surprise- quality slicer, August 26, 2008
Robbie (Wichita Falls, Texas) - See all my reviews
I wanted a spiral slicer for raw foods, but I didn't want to put out the money for the expensive japan ones, since I am just getting into raw foods. The Joyce Chan saladacco just looked to cheap and limited on the amount of food it could do, so I went with the World Cuisine. I thought it would be compared to the crappy one walmart sells, but was I surprised. It actually is solidly built for being plastic, the 3 different blades are easy to switch out, and it works great on all the raw food I put through it, which has been a lot of vegetables lately. It does leave a little core from where the food spins on the blades, but I just take the little core and put it in with the sliced vegs. I love how zucchini strands come out for raw pasta and how I can get creative with the three different blades, kinda fun. I paid about $40 for this and worth every penny, oh yea, also very easy to clean.

4.0 out of 5 stars Great Zucchini Pasta, March 4, 2008
Hillocopter (Santa Clarita, CA USA) - See all my reviews
So far all I've used this for is zucchini pasta but that's what I wanted it for and it works great. It ends up being the size of slightly large spaghetti.