4.0 out of 5 stars Had it a week now, here's the full report
I got my Padholder just over a week ago and installed it that evening. Overall I'm pleased with it but like most anything else it's not perfect. I added some pictures you can check out showing the installation.

Published on December 15, 2010 by John Rawlins

2.0 out of 5 stars You want me to drill holes in my dash, really???
Note To Readers: This is more of a warning than an official review of the product.

Published on December 20, 2010 by JBizzle

4.0 out of 5 stars Had it a week now, here's the full report, December 15, 2010
This review is from: Padholdr iPad 1,2 and 3 Holder for Dash in Vehicles Universal Fit (Personal Computers)

The device is really comprised of three parts. There is dash bracket that mounts to your vehicle, the adjustable arm, and the iPad frame/holder piece itself. In my case I got the vehicle specific version. It came with a bracket from Panavise that was designed to fit my Nissan Titan pickup. The adjustable arm it turns out is also made by Panavise. They make top notch stuff so I was pleased to see that.

Installation of the dash bracket portion went very smoothly. Although the instructions were a little thin, between them, and what I found on the web I figured it out easily. The only tools I needed were my Swiss Army knife to tease off the bezel around the car radio and a Phillips screw driver. You remove one screw from the radio (more on that below), put the bracket in place and then reinstall the screw. A piece of cake really. The arm mounts to the dash bracket with four included screws. Once you do that it's just a matter of adjusting the arm to get the holder where you want it.

Here are some additional notes for you:
Positives:
- As I said it's very well constructed from the dash bracket to the adjustable arm to the holder piece itself. I'm confident they will all last a long time.

- It holds the iPad securely and will accommodate some cases. The holder portion includes two sets of four "bumpers". The ones initially installed wouldn't accommodate either of my cases. I switched to the other ones and that allowed my iPad to fit with the smaller of my two cases. My Otterbox Defender case doesn't even come close to fitting.

- The arm allows you to adjust the position over a wide range. It also holds very securely when you tighten it. I'm not concerned at all that it will start drooping as I drive down the road.

Negatives:
- The rim that goes around the iPad is excessively wide. I don't care for the way it looks but it also creates functional issues. To access some of the controls/ports on the iPad you have to slide your finger in the narrow gap between the front and back plates. Basically you can pick your poison depending on how your orient your iPad. Either the audio jack will be hard to reach (if not impossible) or the power button will. I've added a photo showing what I'm talking about.

- Vibration is a problem for me right now. It's more than likely a combination of the rough riding truck and the flexible dash bracket. The Panavise bracket is made from high quality but thin metal. As such it will flex back and forth. It was designed for cell phones according to the packaging. Remember how I said it attaches with only one screw. I think the weight of the iPad and the Padholder combined are testing its limits. For me iPad will oscillate back and forth by half an inch or more. I'm optimistic I can do some fine tuning to improve the situation.

- There is no quick disconnect feature for taking it down. When I park in public places I like to hide all indications that I might have electronic gadgets in the vehicle. For the Padholder it's a bit of a pain. You can't just slip it off and later slip it back on.

- It's expensive but what isn't when it comes to iPhones and iPads.

One final note: I thought it would be handy to use the built in Maps application while driving for navigation and to monitor traffic. In the daytime it works great. At night it's not so good. The problem is the maps application doesn't have a night-mode like typical automotive GPS's do. Consequently even at the lowest brightness setting it's too bright for night driving. When you glance at the iPad it's like getting headlights in your eyes. The MotionX Drive GPS app works much better for night driving but it doesn't have traffic information. :(

Update: I added some photos so you can see how it looks installed.

2.0 out of 5 stars You want me to drill holes in my dash, really???, December 20, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)

This seemed like kind of a nifty deal, & thought I'd give it a shot. I got the package home & opened it up &... Inside, there are all these screws & instructions telling me to drill holes in my dash to mount this thing...permanently. Now I don't know about anyone else, but the idea of putting permanent holes in the dash of my car for a product that seems to be updated to the next best thing every couple years seems a little unreasonable to me. I don't know what I was thinking, but drilling holes never crossed my mind for whatever reason. Needless to say this was never mounted, this being the reason this isn't an actual review. This may be exactly what you're after, however for myself, wish I would've known in advance exactly what kind of assembly was required.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love the overpriced Padholdr, October 8, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
This was a real treat to get this. I use my iPad daily for everything and it has replaced my laptop (for the most part). I was keeping it in a netbook bag but this is better since it gets it off the seats and floor so no one accidentally steps or sits on it. However, it does draw attention to the fact you have an ipad once it's installed. The quality is good and there are some very good detailed installation instructions (see below for further information).

This particular "universal fit" mount is categorized as MVM (Multi Vehicle Mount) by the manufacturer, Bracketron. I have included a website (click on the comment link) to see if this fits your vehicle and what's involved with installation before you buy. Overall, the installation is not difficult but this mount may require some modification to properly fit your vehicle. I went to the Padholdr dot com web site and no where there did I see the vehicle specific installation instructions, so I'm providing that information here (and I hope they add it to their web site).

I feel the price is a bit steep for the average consumer and that may deter a lot of potential purchasers. I would like to see the cost come down, because at this price, I will wait until it hits $50-75 before I add a second one to my other vehicle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb build quality, October 20, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The PadHolder is made of high quality black plexiglass and its build quality is impeccable.
It's comprised of the holder itself, made of a sandwich of two C-shaped plexi brackets separated by spacers which hold the iPad, a couple of ball joints and a 4" arm. Both ends of the arm are fitted with Panavise grips.
The PadHolder comes with a large assortment of mounting brackets, and the documentation gives a few valuable installation hints.
Still, don't forget that the iPad is a fairly large device; don't be surprised if it doesn't fit in your Mini, but it should be just fine in most Urban Assault Vehicles and Soccer Mom minivans.

I think it's a little limiting to sell this item as an automotive accessory; it is beautiful enough that you can use it anywhere in your house where you could want to keep an iPad handy (home theatre room, kitchen...)

If you have room for an iPad holder in your car, you can't go wrong with the PadHolder, but don't dismiss it as a car-only solution. It will not look out of place in your home.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, October 21, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
I am not naturally inclined to installing these types of things, but with the help of the website as others have mentioned I was able to install this in my Sierra. I can see how some would complain that the installation is tricky, but in reality, would you rather have to spend some extra time and effort to secure the holder or go with a cheaper option that just uses suction cups and is likely to fall at some point under the weight of the iPad? I'd take the first option. I have no doubt that my iPad is completely secure. You can tell right out of the box that it is high quality and feels very sturdy and durable. It has great range of motion so your passenger can view as well. One feature I absolutely love about this is the ability to adjust it to fit any type of case you may be using. I have so many iPhone accessories that require the removal of the case to function that this is just wonderful beyond words and makes me feel that much more secure about the safety of my iPad. Though a bit pricey, I would recommend it for a quality holder for your car. One last note, to the person who gave it a one star review because he says the description mislead him into thinking he could get 3G on his Wifi iPad with this holder.. really? ;)

2.0 out of 5 stars Ugly and unstable when installed, November 13, 2012
I hated the way the padholdr looked and it was very unstable when installed maybe because they forgot to give me a third screw? Anyways when I returned they charged me a hefty restocking fee. Very upset and would not recommend!

3.0 out of 5 stars Great idea... just not for my car and abilities..., October 17, 2010
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
Through the Amazon Vine review program, I was able to get the Padholder iPad Holder for Automobiles. On the surface, I thought this would be a cool thing to have and use. I could put my iPad in the car and have a REALLY large GPS and everything else I normally use the iPad for, all nicely available in the car. But in my particular case, this didn't work out as well or as easy as I was looking for.

My particular car (a PT Cruiser) requires more modification and installation than many other models. I would have had to do some dash disassembly, and history shows that those types of things don't turn out well when I do them. I'm sure it would have been possible, but I just wasn't up to taking the chance. I also question whether this would be considered legal in my state, as TV-like devices are not supposed to be viewable by the driver. So if I didn't end up having the iPad in the mount, I would have a rather large bulky item sticking out of my dash. Hmmmm...

Generally speaking, I like the idea of the Padholder, and I think that it would be appealing for a number of people. But this has a pretty large price tag on it, and unless you're willing to commit to using it on a regular basis, it could quickly turn into a pretty ugly and awkward thing hanging off your dash.

Disclosure:
Obtained From: Amazon Vine Review Program
Payment: Free

3.0 out of 5 stars Pretty Solid Product, October 1, 2013
I mounted this in my 2012 Altima so that I could use my iPad for GPS, audiobooks, and listening to tunes while driving.

PROS
It's been very solid, and looks pretty good.

It does what it's supposed to - mounts my iPad, and allows adjustment.

CONS
It's not very gracefully placed, and blocks the radio interface pretty completely.

The mounting bracket, while still solidly intact, tends to wobble about a good amount if the holder is not set directly against the radio/dash face.

The adjustment settings work pretty well, but they do tend to slip. After a full year of regular use, though, they still are able to maintain a pretty good grip - but it is a little annoying to have to re-set the adjustment when it drifts down. I can imagine a day coming where the joint will no longer grip, and the device will be useless.

It was not nearly as easy to install as the company claims - I had to pay a professional audioshop to do the work, which cost about $80. IMO, though, it was probably worth it in the end to make sure it was done right, seeing as how I use it all the time and rely on it.

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect item for your ipad and your car!, January 19, 2011
Vine Customer Review of Free Product (What's this?)
The Padholdr is a great item to own if you have the iPad. When I got this, it may sound silly, but at first I wasn't sure that I would find it useful, but I was wrong. My favorite use is definitely using Google maps for navigation. It is way better than my GPS system because of the bigger screen. I also like to use it to find places to eat nearby. It was really easy to install and it's easy to transfer between our two vehicles.

4.0 out of 5 stars It just works!, December 29, 2010
Kurt Foster (Washington, DC) - See all my reviews
Nice product. Better then 99% of what's out there, and there isn't much. One thing that would improve it? Different size spacers. This way, it would grip the iPad better.

Update...

So it's a year later, and this iPad mount is still working and is as solid as it was on day one!!

A great product!!!