5.0 out of 5 stars The best of the best on the 60s in Southeast Asia., September 5, 2001
Richard Arant "Toun" (Lanesville, Indiana USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Page After Page (Hardcover)
"Page After Page" may well be the best memoir yet written by the war correspondents and photographers who reported from Southeast Asia, and is certainly by far the most humorous. I have never been able to decide whether Tim Page's most remarkable skill was capturing a scene in a photograph or in words. This memoir takes the reader through Page's accident-prone childhood, his misadventures in his travels through Burma, Thailand, Laos, and Cambodia, on to the war in Vietnam. Not a bad life for a guy who once hustled "Ever Retty" flashlight bulbs out of a canal boat in Thailand! Page's loyalty to his deceased colleagues is revealed in his accounts of his "high times" with Sean Flynn and Dana Stone and others who all either lost their lives or their hearts in Southeast Asia... the list goes on and on, page after page.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, July 2, 2010
This review is from: Page After Page (Hardcover)
How do you best describe Tim Page to someone who's never heard of him ? They should of course read his book, which I can truly recommend.

Being aware of the 60s era with the music, drugs and political climate helps understanding the context in which Tim Page worked.
What I find interesting is that Page unknowingly reveals a lot of heartfelt "british insecurity" and instead of putting on a stiff upper lip he maintains a more appropriate Rock n' Roll Cool. Another underlying fact is that Tim Page grew to become a distinguished photographer and he is probably more serious about that now than his image could reveal back then.
Tim Page is not painting a pretty picture here, he's a naturalist, just like D.H Lawrence not sparing the reader from every aspect of human life.
I was also thrilled to read his other book, Derailed in Uncle Ho's Garden, as it sums up a lot of threads started in Page After Page.
Honestly, I whish I was his friend.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a must read regarding Vietnam, April 15, 2014
This review is from: Page After Page (Hardcover)
I first learned of Page from reading Michael Herr's "Dispatches" (an excellent book by the way) so I started looking for something on or by Page. I'm glad I did. This is a great adventure story in addition to a perceptive insight into the Vietnam war. Page is an absolutely fascinating individual and quite heroic. This really should be put on Kindle where more people are more likely to find it; it isn't getting the exposure it deserves as a used book. The three books by Vietnam correspondents I highly recommend are "Dispatches" "Duc" and "Page After Page".

4.0 out of 5 stars Fascinating first person account by Tim Page, April 22, 2013
Tomas (University Place, WA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Page After Page (Hardcover)
As a Viet Nam vet (who was in a USAF combat photo squadron), I was fascinated by the view from the civilian side of photographing a war.

While radically different from the military experience, I strongly identified with many of the experiences in this book, and they all had that gut feel of truth - just from a different viewpoint.

Very glad I read this.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Fascinating Character, August 16, 2013
This review is from: Page After Page (Hardcover)
I do not like Tim Page as a person, but he has led an interesting life and he tells about it very colorfully. Most of the book is about his time in Vietnam. He was wounded five times, and surely must have a 1 in 100,000 physical constitution to survive what he did. His fifth wound was judged fatal by an attending physician, but he pulled through. He must be very charming and confident to have made so many friends and persuaded military and naval personnel to let him accompany them on countless missions. He indulged in first-rate opium and marijuana, avoiding the second-rate stuff that he knew the GIs were buying. He also was a charmer with women.
The only drawbacks to the book are: (1) if you want to follow his escapades chronologically, his impressionistic style has flashbacks that are interesting but without clarity as to where they fit in historical sequence; and (2) he is English and uses English terms such as "topee". (It's a pith helmet.)

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, January 14, 2011
Art Giberson (Pensacola, Florida) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Page After Page (Hardcover)
As a retired Navy photojournalist I have been a fan of Tim Page's work for years, however his book Page after Page puts a whole new spin on Page the man. Yes I was aware of the drug use and abuse by many members of the military and media in Vietnam, but I was deeply disappointed to learn, from Page himself, according to his book, that he was a drug addict from the day he arrived in Vietnam until the day he left. But, then, I suppose one does what he/she feel is necessary to survive.

5.0 out of 5 stars Which is better the Movie or the Book, December 5, 1999
This review is from: Page After Page (Hardcover)
I must admit that I did not read the book, but recently I saw the movie "Frankie's House" which was made by Australian TV and I think it is one of the best movies I ever saw, only ..... I missed the last 15 minutes on the tape. The story is real, the people are real and the character Tim Page did not get out of my mind for days. To forget the risks while making the pictures, not to loose human feelings, still to care, congratulations Tim James, I hope that I ever will have the possibility to get the book or the video

Page After Page
Page After Page by Tim Page (Hardcover - Dec. 1989)
Used & New from: $9.17