Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pages from Baseball's Past
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Melvins Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Best Camping & Hiking Gear in Outdoors STEM

Format: Paperback|Change

on December 3, 2013
I'm no hardcore baseball history buff - I'm not really even a baseball fan. I've always been a football guy (and not even much of a reader, truth be told). But the stories Craig presents are really interesting and engaging. They're perfectly sized, encapsulated little stories - a page or two per (perfect for me!) - a glimpse into the lives of interesting characters in interesting times. Each story has one or more pictures to illustrate it. I wouldn't want to see the pictures without knowing the stories behind them, and I wouldn't want to hear the stories without seeing the pictures (I like to see who we're discussing!). Perfect!

I can recommend this book for anyone with even a passing interest in baseball, and it's a must for those interested in baseball history.
on November 17, 2013
There is no more passionate baseball historian than Craig Wright. His stories are fascinating, well researched and well written. Craig has a wonderful gift for telling intriguing stories that we have never heard, and providing little known details of familiar tales.
Having worked with Craig for 26 years on the radio versions of these stories, I am amazed at how much captivating additional information he has been able to uncover. The photographs are priceless, and the research notes impossible to ignore.
For any baseball fan, this book is a true treasure....long overdue....a loving gift to followers of the greatest game in the world.
on November 22, 2013
If you enjoy Baseball history, you will love Baseball's Past. Wright has a way of combining facts with occasional humor. I've learned something about players I thought I knew all about and all articles are exceptionally well written. One of my favorite aspects of each story are his Research Notes. Overall, this book is a Grand slam HR.
on December 10, 2013
Craig Wright has hit a home run with this book. Well written, thoroughly referenced human interest stories about baseball players, managers, fans and stadiums make this a unique contribution to the literature of America's pastime. Like the song says: "Nobody Does It Better." And with pictures too!!
on March 27, 2015
Really good baseball stories that have largely been forgotten. Baseball has such a long history that it has produced so much in great stories and characters over the years. I'm sure many of these stories have been lost to time. But Craig Wright has done a great job on preserving the stories left. If you love baseball and the history of it you will love this book!
on November 13, 2013
Wright has done an outstanding job of mixing the nostalgic with the humorous, the historic with the trivial, the odd with the awesome. Each short essay is an enjoyable read and thoroughly researched. You'll finish this book pining for a volume II.
on December 16, 2013
I am a baseball history buff so when I saw this title I had to have it. The stories are wonderful. The research that was done for these stories is amazing. These stories get down to the how and why and are loaded with great research notes. The many pictures that are included with the stories are the icing on the proverbial cake. I would recommend this book to any baseball fan, whether the fan is into the history of the game or not.
on June 23, 2014
Interesting insight into baseball's past. The stories are very informative and give the reader a lesson in baseball history. I particularly enjoyed the touching story about Babe Ruth and the young fan who served as his mascot.
on December 17, 2013
I'm not a baseball fan but I found "Pages from Baseball's Past" to be completely engrossing. The entertaining stories and old-time illustrations are a perfect marriage of words and pictures, with each adding value to the other. This book is a perfect gift for the baseball nut, and one that other members of the family may pick up and enjoy.
on December 2, 2013
Craig Wright was one of the most influential minds in baseball's numbers revolution -- a pioneer in the mold of Bill James, Pete Palmer and others. Who knew he was such a good storyteller too? Tons of fun in this book. Bravo.