4.0 out of 5 stars Finaly the 100% blunt ugly truth about making video games!, November 29, 2006
This review is from: Paid to Play: An Insider's Guide to Video Game Careers (Paperback)
I can just imagine gamers walking into Game Stop seeing this guide and getting big dreams of getting paid to play video games. This book crushes those dreams once and for all. The book tells the good and the bad of what it is like in the video game industry. And the reality is that making games isn't easy or always fun.

However if you feel like you can cut it and the warnings don't scare you the book does list practical no nonsense tips about how to approach breaking into the industry. That's where this book differs from other books about getting into video game making (Like the Game Career guide from Game Developer Magazine) this book gives specific tips relating to each sub-field of the video game industry it covers.

This book is not a technical guide however. I would have liked to see recommended reading for each job category. The book struck me as just a large compilation of opinions of video game industry members with some weird comments thrown in by the authors. The comments can be amusing but at times they where distracting and at worse condescending. As a programmer I was irked at the stereotyping of programmers and repeated usage of the words code monkey throughout the chapter "Technical Jobs". Overall enjoyed the book and found valuable info but I was expecting a little more professional presentation of the material so I gave it 4 stars instead of 5.

5.0 out of 5 stars This fine guide needs to be on the shelves of any high school career library, February 8, 2007
This is no singular treatment of the industry: over a hundred video game industry pros were interviewed and over 50 careers are profiled for Paid to Play, an insider's survey of how to obtain real jobs in the gaming industry. From self-assessment exercises and sample resumes to insights on salary, educational requirements, training, and employers, the aspiring video gamer receives everything needed to pursue their game-playing as a career. This fine guide needs to be on the shelves of any high school career library or public library strong in business and career planning.

Diane C. Donovan

California Bookwatch

5.0 out of 5 stars Helpful, December 27, 2008
I bought this book for my avid video gaming husband who has always talked about working in the gaming world as the ideal job. I liked the reviews I read so I bought it. My husband has read through most of it and has come to the conclusion that he definitely would NOT want to have a job like that anymore. I'm so glad I bought the book! He found it very helpful in that people "in the business" laid everything out about the good and the bad. Seeing what a dream idea really looks like provided all the right insight. A good read.

5.0 out of 5 stars An honest and entertaining read!, January 3, 2008
Are you considering going into the video games industry, but you want to find out more about it before making the decision to make the jump? This book will give you an honest and insightful look at just about every facet of this competitive industry.

Whether your serious or curious about the games industry, you'll enjoy this entertaining read. I wholeheartedly recommend it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A great resource, February 8, 2007
Sean Lynott (Westminster, Colorado United States) - See all my reviews
As a graduate advisor for gaming students at Westwood College Online, I can not stress enough how important and worthwhile this book is. I recommend this book to every student that I work with because it is full of numerous "wake-up calls" and good ideas for breaking into the industry. Check this book out, it will greatly help you in your career search.

5.0 out of 5 stars I've purchased this several times, February 12, 2014
I was able to snag this book after borrowing it from the Library, and friends and got to say it is a great piece for anyone who is thinking about the game industry. Definitely this book is dated now that Kickstarter, OUYA and a lot of top game companies are making it easier for developers to be two guys in their parents basement. This book touches on all aspects, women in gaming, artist, store owners, to the do it yourselfers. It adds also to the fandom of games by interviews with top game company or game creators. Good read and the artwork of Michael Krahulik(yes I googled to make sure i spelled it correctly) from famous web comic Penny-arcade makes for an interesting stylized look.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very insightful book, July 17, 2011
I want to pursue a career om video game design, and this book tells of all the positives and negatives of working in that industry. It is very honest, and is geared towards helping those who are truly passionate about video game careers.

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid and Real, October 19, 2008
I recommend this book because it is a solid and real guide to video games. It gives you real-life advice, not hype on the various gaming careers and head's up for anyone that thinks it's all "fun and games". Do you love your family and your free time? Think on that before you become a designer....

5.0 out of 5 stars Paid to Play, April 28, 2008
Chancegalaxy "Rick" (Rochester, NY United States) - See all my reviews
This book was extremely informative and answers most of the questions you would have about the gaming industry. I'm hoping for a second edition! Definitely purchase this book if you are considering a career in this field.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good stuff, January 27, 2010
I always wanted to work in the Gaming industry, but I never found any books on the "how to".
When I found this book, it didn't take long to find the "order" button ;)

The book is written with a lot of humor, but they also are serious on the topic. the structure of the setup is also really good, since, if you are not sure what field you could work in with gaming, you can find out what would best suit you!
they give some really good resources that one should check up on.
This book helped me push my dream more toward realism, and now I am also clearer on what I have to do, and how I will have to do it to achieve my goal.

A must have for any person who loves gaming and wants to go into the industry.
If you are undecided which field you would want to work in, its also a good book. If you are unsure whether you even want to be in gaming, its a good book to show you what challenges await you.

I DEFINITELY recommend this book!

Paid to Play: An Insider's Guide to Video Game Careers
Paid to Play: An Insider's Guide to Video Game Careers by David S. J. Hodgson (Paperback - October 10, 2006)
Used & New from: $0.01