5.0 out of 5 stars Eliminate Pain through Better Nutrition and Detoxification
If you have ever experienced chronic pain, this book could be a literal life-saver for you!

Published on January 26, 2005 by Donald Mitchell

2.0 out of 5 stars panacea for pain
A bit too simplified a solution to a complex problem. Talked too much about what appears to be a miraculous recovery - gives false hope. Maybe just likes to exaggerate.
Published 9 months ago by Carol Anne Carr

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Eliminate Pain through Better Nutrition and Detoxification, January 26, 2005
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: Pain Free in 6 Weeks (Paperback)

As a long-time sufferer of chronic pain, I was surprised this year when I found that following the South Beach diet improved my pain. I also had other symptoms that improved at the same time. I discussed the results with my neurologists, and they congratulated me on my progress but had no idea why I had improved.

When I opened Pain Free in 6 Weeks, the book had instant credibility. Dr. Rogers, who is board certified in environmental medicine, begins by warning readers away from prescription pain relievers because they kill people. Just weeks ago, some of these products began being pulled from the market.

My smile widened when her next point was that most pain is associated with food allergies and other sensitivities to common materials. Eliminate the foods and sources of the sensitivities in question, and Dr. Rogers has found that the pain quickly leaves as well.

My smile became a full one when Dr. Rogers described how she overcame her own pain . . . which was much greater than mine had ever been.

That smile became a positively silly grin when I went on to read the many scientific studies that Dr. Rogers cites in support of her views.

Now, I was convinced that I was reading the real deal.

She feels that 80 percent of the people who read this book will find their solutions in doing 20 percent of what's described. She encourages you to try things in a certain order, and see what happens. She provides clear directions about how to do this in chapter 8 which begins on page 278.

1. Eliminate foods and substances in the nightshade family for 3 months. These foods are described in detail in the book but they include tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, eggplant, potato-based fillers, soy products that use the Monsanto petunia gene add-on, and tobacco. Here is where I got my first clue about why South Beach might be working for me on pain -- I had greatly reduced my consumption of these items, especially potatoes because they are high glycemic.

2. Rebuild your system with CM, cetyl myristoleate, (she describes the better sources of it which many people lack in their diets) between meals with a digestant. I had been working on improving my consumption of fatty acids, so this gave me another clue about why I had improved.

She feels that the vast majority of chronic pain sufferers will be pain free within four months after these two steps.

3. Some people will also need help with nutrient protection, elimination of muscle spasms and bone loss, and she has advice on supplements to help you with those problems. This will be of most value to those with arthritis or rheumatism.

4. Some people will need a major uptake in cell health, and she has a long list of things to use for that purpose.

5. Finally, she gives you many additional ways to detoxify your body and strengthen your immune system, especially by eliminating a leaky gut (which many pain sufferers have).

Once you are through the pain elimination phase, she has a simpler program for maintenance.

If those steps don't do it for you, she has other options for detoxification, rebuilding and maintenance.

She also has directed advice for those with the pain of terminal cancer.

In the text, she also offers the information your doctor will need to understand what you are doing. She can also be contacted for telephone consultations to help you think through how to treat your pain.

May you be truly pain free all the days of your life!

5.0 out of 5 stars Lasting Relief from Better Health, July 23, 2002
Lora N. Mermin (Madison, WI United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pain Free in 6 Weeks (Paperback)
Sherry A. Rogers, M.D., ABEM, ABFP, FACN, FACAAI, , has done it again. She gives us a wealth of research findings which support her thesis: "Your body was designed to heal and be pain free. . . only when there is a persistent trigger (that the body is reacting to and cannot conquer) does it continue to produce inflammation and pain . . . All pain has a cause, and once you know the cause you have the cure. . . [For some] the solution has been as simple as eliminating a food, correcting a nutrient deficiency, healing the gut, or killing hidden infections. For others it has required getting rid of a lifetime's accumulation of everyday toxic chemicals." She does not spare commercial pain-killers as one of the sources of toxicity.
An example of foods to omit: the "nightshade nemesis": Rogers cites studies indicating that 74-95% percent of people with arthritis pain have an allergic reaction to plants of the nightshade family. Eliminating those foods would bring lasting pain relief in a few months. She explores the ramifications of completely staying away from potato, tomato, green pepper, eggplant --and even soy products made from bio-engineered seeds with petunia genes in them.
Perhaps you have not heard before about a quick-acting arthritis remedy which requires no prescription, and has no side effects? That would be CM, cetyl myristoleate. Dr. Rogers relates that it works for only a percentage (about 55%) of those who try it, and guides you through the maze of manufacturers and their varying products. She never omits details of how to find, use, and evaluate her suggested remedies.
For osteoporosis/cartilage-loss treatment, she gives a discussion of the vitamins, minerals and bovine cartilage products we may need, plus a recipe for old-fashioned bone soup.
The coffee enema, which was part of standard medical procedures during most of the 19th century, gets a new lease on life through modern medical understanding and Dr. Rogers' account of her own experience with it.
And something new: the FIR sauna, which uses a frequency consonant with human DNA, to give us beneficial sweating without harmful overheating. We get the full treatment: We learn how to ease into sauna treatments, and how to replace the beneficial minerals lost in every sweating experience. Sauna users are not likely to overlook this latter point after being reminded of joggers who have died of unexpected heart attacks, most likely because they had sweated out the magnesium needed for proper heart rhythm.
There is something new here about braces for sports injuries, and a pain-reliever for terminal cancer pain which is also a healing agent: cesium chloride.
The whole in this case is more than the sum of its parts. "Pain-Free" gives you the keys to creating self-help programs; and the scientific references to persuade your doctor to expand to a more holistic horizon.

5.0 out of 5 stars Watch Out for The Attack of the Killer Tomato, March 11, 2009
Watch Out for These Veggies-The Attack of the Killer Tomato

A "nightshade nemesis" is the condition that Dr. Sherry Rogers describes when one has a high sensitivity to eating the plants in the nightshade family.

Describing the various symptoms, including joint pain and chronic inflammation, and offering a simple solution, you would think that it would be easy to exclude these particular plants from your diet. But before you go pointing a finger, these toxic veggies include the ever popular potato, tomato, all colors of peppers, eggplant, and spices like curry, paprika and cayenne.

Imagine telling a vegetarian, who eats primarily organic fruits and vegetables, and only additive and hormone free protein sources, that they must now cut these tasty, vitamin charged vegetables out of their diets.

It sounds ridiculous, but in fact the Solonaceae family of plant's common name is the "deadly nightshade", due to the fact that pastured animals were be found to be crippled and sometimes dead after eating these particular plants, according to Dr. Rogers book.

The good news is, there are reasonable replacements for these foods; for example, you can use sweet potatoes or yams in place of potatoes, you can eat fresh beets and place of tomatoes, you may use a variety of spices including fenugreek, cumin, ginger, cloves, garlic, coriander, and allspice.

Again you have to approach prepackaged foods with an eye toward reading labels, winnowing out those with the ingredients in the nightshade family, including such innocuous ingredients as potato starch, commonly used in bread and to thicken food.

5.0 out of 5 stars PAIN FREE IN SIX WEEKS TO THE DAY!, February 26, 2009
R. Williams (New Castle, CO USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Pain Free in 6 Weeks (Paperback)
Last March I began having pain in my hips and down my right leg. By the middle of the month I could hardly get in and out of the car. By the middle of April my family was leaving for Mexico and I could not go on the trip. I couldn't even sleep at night the pain was so great. During the week they were gone, I had an xray and MRI. I had a herniated disk between L5 and S1. It was putting pressure on the right sciatic nerve. My leg was numb from the knee down. The pain killers they gave me didn't touch the pain. After the MRI they gave me the option of a steroid injection that may or may not work. The next step was surgery. I asked what the goal was for the steroid shot. They said to take the inflamation out of the area. I was determined to try to do it on my own naturally(with a little help!). I quit taking the pain killers, got out my Pain Free in Six Weeks book. (Thought I should practice what I preach.) I did everything Dr.Rogers suggested. The pain slowly started to lessen. Exactly six weeks to the day (amazing!) the pain quit in my leg. Dr. Rogers also suggested that along with taking care of your physical body, that you take care of your emotional and spiritual bodies. That was absolutely the key for me. I feel like I have cleaned house on all levels. I can't thank her enough for giving me my life back. I am living proof that your body can heal itself if you take away all the junk and give it a chance!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pain Free in Six Weeks, December 21, 2008
This review is from: Pain Free in 6 Weeks (Paperback)
After twenty years of writhing,exploding leg pain: mind dimming general pain, and hopelessness, I can thank God and the author for writing this book. I half-heartedly did the garlic cleanse, but the miracle is staying off nightshades. I have been pain free for three years with the exception of times I get paprika, or potato starch in something I think I have carefully ordered. My rheumatologist still shakes his head and asks if I need a precription. I am pain free and drug free. My fibromyalgia has disappeared. If you hurt like I did, you can't buy this book fast enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dr Sherry Rogers is the best, July 10, 2011
This review is from: Pain Free in 6 Weeks (Paperback)
For anyone dealing with a serious illness, or that wants to avoid a serious illness, the books by Dr Sherry Rogers are absolutely essential reading.

Her books explain in a very easy to understand manner how to deal with the causes of disease using cutting edge medical knowledge, technology and testing, and not just how to mask symptoms with drugs and other superficial treatments (which lead to worsening problems in other areas of health).

As Dr Sherry Rogers writes in `Detoxify or Die',

`I have to laugh when people ask me if I do alternative, herbal, acupuncture or holistic medicine. 'No,' I reply. 'We do state-of-the-art medicine. In other words, we find the biochemical, nutritional and environmental causes and cures rather than blindly drugging everything. Sure, herbs are gentler, safer and more physiologic than drugs and holistic medicine attempts to incorporate many diverse modalities, etc. But there is no substitute for finding the underlying biochemical causes and cures. This is real medicine. This is where medicine should and would have been decades ago, if it had not been abducted by the pharmaceutical industry.'

The question is not whether you should read a book by Dr Rogers, but WHICH book of hers you should start with! Choosing which books to start with can be difficult and a bit overwhelming, as there are quite a few. My opinion, is as follows:

1. For healthy people that want to stay well, healthy older people who want to avoid degenerative diseases as they get older, or parents who want to keep themselves and their kids well, then the book you need is `Detoxify or Die.' This one book will probably contain everything you need to know as prevention is so much easier than cure!

After reading this book and acting on the advice it gives, you may then like to subscribe to Dr Rogers' monthly newsletter, to stay up to date with new developments - if your budget allows for this.

2. For those dealing with serious illness, you need both `Detoxify or Die' and `No More Heartburn: Stop the Pain in 30 Days-Naturally! : The Safe, Effective Way to Prevent and Heal Chronic Gastrointestinal Disorders.' Almost all serious illness involve poor gut health and so poor food and nutrient absorption and one cannot improve with these diseases until the gut issues are dealt with.

As Dr Sherry Rogers explains, `The road to good health is paved with good intestines!'

It is very important that you heal you gut problems as much as possible, and treat any serious nutrient deficiencies before beginning any type of detoxification program as these types of programs use up a lot of nutrients and place additional stress on the body. Once you've worked on healing your gut, and your nutrient deficiencies, you can then move onto the information in `Detoxify or Die.'

These books will be helpful no matter what disease label you have, or even if you don't yet have a correct diagnosis. They explain how to heal the body, and how to identify via testing the individual factors that affect your health and so they do not provide disease specific information, generally speaking. (With some exceptions.) This is very good news for those that don't have a correct diagnosis, or that have a disease where very little or no specific research into your disease and how to treat it is taking place.

There are 3 basic principles of this type of medicine:

A. Get the good stuff in. Give your body the fuel and tools it needs to work at an optimum level. Good food, nutrients and all the proper vitamins, minerals and antioxidants. Make sure you aren't deficient in any of the major nutrients as the different nutrients all work together.

B. Get the bad stuff out. Make sure your body can detoxify out all the toxic substances and toxic by-products of bodily processes properly. Stop as many toxins from getting in in the first place, and do a detoxification program to get rid of the ones you have. Stop doing or eating the things which cause inflammation and have a pro-oxidant effect, and so on.

C. Reduce your body's total load. The total load concept is that lessening the body's overall burden/work and stress level in one area, will improve health generally and improve the body's ability to heal because the body's total load (or burden) is lessened. Fixing one problem frees up bodily resources that can be then be used to help other parts of the body function getter or to heal. In other words, you need to look at the body as a whole in order to heal, and not just the one part of the body that is generating the most symptoms.

Dr Sherry Rogers explains that with treating the causes of disease, 'A life sentence to medications that block physiologic pathways is avoided.' She continues,

`Bear in mind that since medications do not fix anything, they allow the underlying problem to continue uncorrected and actually accelerate. Meanwhile, new symptoms and new seemingly unrelated diseases are the inevitable consequence of this biochemical faux pas. Furthermore, drug side effects are the leading cause of death. NSAIDs as an example of only one group of medications, are fatally toxic to thousands of people each year by damaging joints, lungs, kidneys, eyes, hearts, and intestines. And they are covered by insurance.

You and your doctor have been screwed into believing every symptom is a deficiency of some drug or surgery. You've been led to believe you have no control, when in truth you're the one who must take control. Unfortunately, the modus operandi in medicine is to find a drug to turn off the damaged part that is producing symptoms. A simple example is the prescription of calcium channel blockers, the number one drug used by cardiologists for angina, hypertension, congestive heart failure, or arrhythmia. But as with any drug, this does not fix anything that is broken. It merely poisons normal physiological pathways, thereby forcing the chemistry in a direction that attenuates symptoms.

Since nothing has been done in terms of getting rid of the underlying cause, the disease continues. In addition the missing fatty acids and minerals in the cell membranes that house and calcium channels are not identified and repaired. Nor are the sequestered membrane chemicals that caused the damage, like unavoidable PCBs and Mercury, gotten rid of. If this were not enough perpetuation and acceleration of damage, the side effects of drugs are not innocuous. For example, calcium channel blockers have been shown by MRI to cause definitive shrinkage of the brain and loss of brain function, a side effect rarely mentioned by clinicians or news media.

It should not come as a shock that this type of information is ignored, since studies in the Journal of the American Medical Association document how the practice guidelines for American medicine are made by physicians who receive compensation from the drug industry. (Choudhry, JAMA 2002; 287: 612-617). In addition so is the FDA, the very government regulatory body that approves drugs, riddled with advisers with financial ties to (and is heavily lobbied by) the very drug industry that is seeking its approval. And as the New England Journal of Medicine and Journal of the American Medical Association warm, even the hired clinical investigators for new drugs may have their price. '

If after following the advice in `Detoxify or Die' (and using your FIR sauna daily or every second day etc.) for a year or two, your progress stalls, then you need to follow a more intensive plan. The book `The High Blood Pressure Hoax' is the Part 2 to `Detoxify or Die' and shows you where to go from there to start making progress again with healing. Part 3 is called `The Cholesterol Hoax' and again this book is recommended only if after following the advice in Part 2, your progress stalls.

After reading a couple of Dr Rogers' books, you may also then like to subscribe to Dr Rogers' monthly newsletter, to stay up to date with new developments - if your budget allows for this.

3. Doctors are recommended to read `Detoxify or Die.' The book `Is Your Cardiologist Killing You?' is also recommended if they commonly prescribe statins, beta blockers, Coumadin and other cardiac drugs.

-----

Information on each of Dr Sherry Rogers' books:

1. Detoxify or Die (2002) by Sherry A. Rogers M.D.

This book is excellent. It is also very easy to read and understand. It talks about the importance of treating the causes of disease and the most important chemicals to avoid in food and in cleaning and personal care products, the impact of each of the major chemical types on the body, tests which can be used to determine your toxic load (as well as your nutrients levels and how well your detoxification pathways are functioning etc.), the problems with many common prescribed drugs, the benefits of a daily detox cocktail, the benefits of juicing and enemas, the benefits and safety of regular FIR sauna use, how to use the sauna safely and what to expect when doing a sauna program, and so much more. There is also a great little summary of the parts of the book on FIR saunas that is available as a free PDF online which is exceptionally good. (Google the relevant terms to find it.)

2. No More Heartburn: Stop the Pain in 30 Days--Naturally! : The Safe, Effective Way to Prevent and Heal Chronic Gastrointestinal Disorders (2000) by Sherry A. Rogers M.D.

This book is excellent (even if the title is NOT!). It is also very easy to read and understand. It talks about the importance of treating the causes of disease and why healing the gut is an essential first part of any healing program - whether you feel like you have any gut issues or not. It discusses food allergies and intolerances, low stomach acid, dysbiosis, the problems with many prescription and over the counter medications (such as NSAIDs, aspirin and ibuprofen) on gut health, rotation diets, Candida, enemas, and leaky gut syndrome and the tests which can be used to determine which gut issues you have.

It also discusses the importance of detoxification enemas and other detoxification regimes and the all-important concept of the `total load.'

3. Pain Free in 6 Weeks (2001) by Sherry A. Rogers M.D.

This book may be useful if you are generally in good health, but suffer with chronic pain. If chronic pain is part of a serious disease complex then you'll be treating the pain along with all of your other symptoms by following the advice given in the books on gut health and detoxification and so this book probably wont be necessary. Several supplements which can help with chronic pain are discussed in this book as well as a nightshade-free diet, improving gut health and lowering your toxic load and detoxification enemas for pain relief.

4. Wellness Against All Odds (1994) by Sherry A. Rogers M.D.

In most of Dr Rogers' books the only diet recommended is the macrobiotic diet, although every now and again there were also comments about how not every diet works for everyone and that some people may not do well on the macrobiotic diet and should read `Wellness Against All Odds' for more information about other diets. This book explains that while the macrobiotic diet suits a large percentage of ill people, some of us need far more protein and fat in our diets and do much better when our food is cooked rather than raw. Dr Rogers explains that some of us may need a raw food macro diet to heal, and others a cooked diet with lots of animal protein and fat or something between these two extremes, and that as we heal we'll all likely move more into the middle and eat some raw food, some cooked food and a balance of plant and animal foods. What is most important is eating whole foods and making sure to find the diet that works best for us at this point in time.

As well as discussing different diets, this book also contains excellent information on enemas, detoxifying salt baths, the liver and gallbladder flush, the castor oil and olive oil body rub and the use of systemic enzymes to treat cancer and other diseases. It's an interesting read and probably essential extra reading if you have cancer.

5. The High Blood Pressure Hoax (2008) by Sherry A. Rogers M.D.

Part 2 to `Detoxify or Die.' Also contains useful information on how to treat and how not to treat high blood pressure.

6. The Cholesterol Hoax (2008) by Sherry A. Rogers M.D.

Part 3 to `Detoxify or Die.' Also contains useful information on why the `cholesterol hypothesis' is dead and why statin drugs are hazardous to your health.

7. Is Your Cardiologist Killing You? by Sherry A. Rogers M.D.

This book is absolutely essential reading for anyone taking statin drugs, daily aspirin, Coumadin, NSAIDs, beta blockers or calcium channel blockers etc. The information given on these drugs and the problems they cause was frightening.

Overall, this book is very easy to read and well organised and very clear in its message and with its references. If you're taking some of the above drugs, this book really is essential. It not only warns you of the dangers of these drugs but tell you how to safely get off them. (Very gradually!) If you aren't taking any of these drugs, you are much better off with 'Detoxify or Die' instead as it contains much more detailed treatment information for those of us with heart problems.

This book is highly recommended for any doctor that commonly prescribes the above drugs as well.

7. Depression: Cured At Last? by Sherry A. Rogers M.D.

This (very long) book is kind of an early version of `Detoxify or Die' although it does contain a small amount of material that isn't in any of the other books. While I took 8 pages of handwritten notes from `DOD' I still managed to write 2 pages of notes on the new information in this book that was of interest. Most of it was information about the specific role of each vitamin and mineral. This book looks at how nutrient deficiencies and toxic overload are the root causes of disease, using depression as an example. It makes a strong case for the use of environmental medicine in treating all disease, including mental illnesses. This book is an interesting read if you're able to get a copy, and read such a large amount of text. It is probably essential reading if you have depression, anxiety or disorders such as schizophrenia or OCD and so on.

8. Chemical Sensitivity (1998), The EI Syndrome Revised (1995) and Tired or Toxic? A Blueprint for Health (1990) by Sherry A. Rogers M.D.

So far I have chosen not to buy these books as a) They are older compared to `Detoxify or Die' b) I have read a huge amount about chemical sensitivity and its associated problems already and c) The book `Detoxify or Die' seems to be an updated version of all of these books, to a large extent. They are recommended reading if you are very new to the subject of chemical sensitivities and would like to know more about this problem and what symptoms it causes and so on.

9. The Scientific Basis for Selected Environmental Medicine Techniques (1994) by Sherry A. Rogers M.D.

This book is designed to be given to doctors and perhaps also insurance companies. It contains summarised information about the basic principles of environmental medicine, along with lots of reference lists. Unfortunately, as this book is now almost 20 years old, most doctors would probably see it as outdated and you may be far better off using books such as `Detoxify or Die' to try and get relevant information to doctors and other professionals. This book is not necessary for patients to buy for themselves and it doesn't contain any information that isn't given in far more detail in `Detoxify or Die.'

10. Macro Mellow : Recipes for Macrobiotic Cooking (1993) by Shirley Gallinger and Sherry A. Rogers

This is one of three books on macrobiotic cooking by Dr Rogers. I need to eat in a way quite opposite to the macrobiotic diet and so I haven't bought any of these books. These books are highly recommended if the macrobiotic diet works for you however.

-----

General comments on Dr Rogers' books:

1. There is a bit of repetition in some of the books, as some reviewers have noted. But overall it isn't a big problem and it does help you remember all the major points she is making.

2. There are some typographical errors in some of the books, but please don't let that put you off. These books aren't produced for massive profits and are written by someone who never planned to be an author, isn't in it for the money and doesn't advertise her books, instead relying on word of mouth sales. There may be a few typographical errors and some books may have somewhat of a `homemade' feel to them in parts, but the information in the books and their references are spot on and that is what is important. The books are very well written and extremely well referenced.

3. The books almost always give recommendations for actual brand name products, as Dr Rogers notes that the quality of supplements varies widely and she only feels comfortable recommending trusted brands and long-term tested products. This is helpful as it gives you a starting point in your research of which products to buy, whether you end up buying those exact brands or not. Note that Dr Rogers has no financial ties with ANY of these companies.

4. All of the recommendations in the books can seem overwhelming, but all you need to do is start small. Do one small thing at a time and make gradual changes. The worst thing you could do, especially if you are very ill, is jump into taking and doing lots of different things all at once anyway.

(Actually, the need to start some supplements very slow is something I feel Dr Rogers could have given more attention to. Some of us would get (even more) extremely ill taking the amounts of reduced alpha lipoic acid, vitamin C, reduced GSH and garlic etc. she recommends if we didn't raise the doses very gradually over 1 - 3 months or more. Perhaps this is just an issue for people like me who have M.E., that almost all have to be especially slow in introducing new supplements of this kind, but perhaps it relates to at least a small group other patients as well, which is why I am mentioning it. I can now take her recommended daily detox cocktail with no problems at all, but the first time I took 5 g of vitamin C, and even 100 mg of ALA daily, it really knocked me around. It was awful and very severe.)

5. Dr Rogers books are to some extent `do-it-yourself' health books but ideally Dr Rogers recommends that you get well with the help of a qualified practitioner that will be able to order the appropriate tests for you, and also help you interpret them.

6. One extra thing I feel I have to mention in relation to Dr Rogers' books is the amount of religious material some of them contain. In books such as the one on gut health and `Detoxify or Die' it is fairly minimal, but in books such as `Depression: Cured At last?' and `Wellness Against All Odds; and others it is quite extreme. Topics are mentioned such as the need for prayer in schools, what a terrible idea it is to teach kids about homosexuality and condoms at a young age, evolution is mocked as unscientific and the theory of intelligent design and creationism is discussed, evidence is given for biblical events/artifacts such as the Ark and the moral decay caused by more people rejecting religion. The push for readers to embrace religion and Christianity is very full-on and a very hard-sell.

I really hope that readers that have big problems with this type of information, or just with its appearing in a scientific textbook, will be able to take the mountain of very good information on health in these books and perhaps just skip over the religious parts (which are generally focused on one chapter towards the end of the book) and agree to disagree with the author on this topic. It would be such a loss for anyone to miss out on these books because of the religious content, I hope nobody does. It is also important that you know these books have this content if you are going to give them to others, so that you can also mention it to them beforehand, this avoiding or minimising any upset on their behalf as well (or a very unfortunate blanket rejection of all the health information in them).

7. You will often be referred to other books while you're reading one of Dr Rogers' books. I think I actually would really rather pay more and have the one BIG book (or set of 3 books) with everything in it and all up to date, rather than keep being referred to other books when reading. I'm ill and get easily overwhelmed, as I know many others do too. I'd rather not buy an extra whole book just for a few pages of relevant information in it too, but I realise the one big book idea may be too difficult to do for a whole host of reasons. (Sorry Dr Rogers, I don't mean to sound ungrateful, I'm a big fan. This is just a suggestion.)

8. In addition to books by Dr Sherry Rogers I'd also recommend books by Dr Lawrence Wilson (and his website), Dr Abram Hoffer, Andrew Saul, Sally Fallon and Mary Enig (most especially `Eat Fat, Lose Fat' and `Know Your Fats) and any and all of the vitamin C experts such as Linus Pauling and Dr Thomas Levy. Other excellent books include `Good Calories, Bad Calories' and `Deep Nutrition' as well as books on the SCD eating plan and the GAPS diet for the treatment of dysbiosis and a diet-based plan to heal the gut.

That's it!

BTW I'm writing all this as someone that subscribes to Dr Rogers' monthly newsletter and owns most of her books, and that is slowly improving month by month from a very severe neurological disease - thanks in part to the work of Dr Rogers, and others like her - that has left me housebound and almost entirely bedbound for many years. I wish so much I had had this information early on in my disease, rather than coming to it more than 10 years in. Healing is so much easier the earlier you start it.

Best wishes for future health to anyone still reading this far! And a big thank you to Dr Sherry Rogers for sharing all this valuable information!

Jodi Bassett, The Hummingbirds' Foundation for M.E. (HFME) and Health, Healing & Hummingbirds (HHH)

5.0 out of 5 stars A Lifesaver, January 23, 2011
This review is from: Pain Free in 6 Weeks (Paperback)
I have been struggling with rheumatoid arthritis for three years. Within the last year and half, the minocycline I was taking was no longer doing the trick and the disease became progressively debilitating. My view towards methotrexate was that it would be my last resort, although it was recommended to me by one of the best rheumatology departments in the country. I began to possibly see a connection with the intensity of pain and what I would eat the preceding day, and I asked my rheumatologist about the association with nightshade foods, and was told there were no scientific studies to support it. I purchased this book, implemented a rigid nightshade diet,and I feel like a new person. Rather than viewing disability as my near future, I am enjoying renewed health; and I am no longer on any meds! What a lifesaver.

5.0 out of 5 stars Invaluable, December 19, 2012
This review is from: Pain Free in 6 Weeks (Paperback)
I would have to permit myself to say that by seeing the title itself can be a put off for me as I've always seen similar titles that can persuade one to buy it, and those titles would never satisfy one to be free of bodily pains. But, with a recommendation of my friends, I have discovered this book to be rather invaluable in figuring out what foods and/or substances that cause pain in our bodies.

I found it to be an easy-to-read with entertaining illustrations, and Dr. Rogers gave a good and clear instruction on how to be free of pains. Even if this instruction doesn't work for the reader, she also gave other options that is just as helpful.

However, I would give a reasonable warning: this is something that the reader would have to take very seriously and be committed to it: either you want to be pain-free or you don't. There is no easy or "half-way" because even if you eat a smallest piece of nightshades or any other pain-inducing foods again, you would be experiencing more pains. That's just the hard cold fact.

Surpassing my initial judgement, I would recommend this book to those whom are in a physical pain or to those who are just interested in this subject. Indeed, I personally found it to be quite useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Pain Free in 6 weeks, February 3, 2009
This review is from: Pain Free in 6 Weeks (Paperback)
Dr. Sherry gives logical and practical advice for how to greatly improve your pain situation whether it is from joint or muscle or nerve source.
Multiple medical journals are cited to back her position and she give more than one company from which to order the various herbs needed to see relief of pain.

4.0 out of 5 stars Love her contrarian view, March 20, 2013
This review is from: Pain Free in 6 Weeks (Paperback)
I know relatives and friends besides myself that have adopted lifestyle, food choices promoted in this book and the pain has gone, the blood pressure pills (that can cause liver damage) no longer needed, arthritis vanished. This book has a ton of info in it so must be combed over carefully. She goes against conventional wisdom and people are living longer healthier lives without pills or surgery. Another good book in this vein for pain relief without surgery is "Trigger Point Therapy" and the theracane. Also, if you are a pain sufferer look into acupuncture as well.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

Pain Free in 6 Weeks
Pain Free in 6 Weeks by Sherry A. Rogers (Paperback - May 2001)
Used & New from: $18.89