Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Painless Childbirth: An Empowering Journey Through Pregnancy and Birth
Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer angrybirds angrybirds angrybirds  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on June 19, 2008
I enjoyed reading Painless Childbirth by Giuditta Tornetta, she is a birth doula and also uses hypnosis with her clients. It was a positive, uplifting book about pregnancy and birth. It is always wonderful to have a book showing that birth can be comfortable and enjoyable. I had a painless childbirth (with no medication) with my last baby, so I know it can be done. I wish more moms knew about hypnosis as an option for birth.

Reasons I liked this book:
It shows that birth can be comfortable and enjoyable. There are some good birth stories included, under many different circumstances, home birth, hospital births, induced births, etc. These stories demonstrate how mom's beliefs can create their reality.

The book helps moms see how they can be empowered by educating themselves and making choices that are best for them and their baby! Birth is not a one size fits all kind of situation. Learn what your choices are, trust your body and baby and you can be empowered.

The only thing that would make me hesitant to say every mom should read the book, is that it is fairly "new-agey". Personally, I am pretty open minded, so this didn't bother me. I just took what I liked and dismissed what didn't fit into my beliefs. For instance, Giuditta divided the book into 10 months, and connected the chakras to the different months of pregnancy. I found that interesting, but others might be turned off by that.

Some moms are very hesitant to try hypnosis for childbirth, because they worry it won't fit into their belief structure. One thing I like about Hypnobabies is that it is very main stream and can fit into anyone's beliefs. It isn't new-agey at all. I would worry that some of these moms, if they started to read this book would straight away assume that hypnosis is only for new-agey people.

In conclusion I would let moms know if they are open to new and different ideas, then this is a great book for them to read in preparation for birth. It will give them some tools and ideas to help them prepare for birth and parenting. I would add that they most likely will need more than just this book for preparation. If they want more tools, scripts, childbirth information, etc. Hypnobabies Home Study Coursewould give them these things.
on June 18, 2013
I am so grateful to have found this book 1 year ago. I started reading it at the beginning of my pregnancy and followed all the chapter according to the weeks/months and I can honestly say I did in fact have a painless childbirth at home with no drugs! I will not say that it was easy to give birth, they do call it labor for a reason, BUT I was completely shocked how labor was incredibly manageable and I never once felt out of control or that I couldn't do it. I never asked for drugs. During the actual pushing I did ask if I was doing it right, because it can feel like you're pushing a piano across the room without seeing any results, but having read this book made my birth extremely empowering, and it helped me prepare for every possible scenario and emotion that could come up for me.

In fairness I also have to say that I used hypnobirthing along with this book (I had a hypno-Doula attend my birth as well) and this worked very well with my hypnosis. I was able to relax and let my body do what its intrinsically designed to do.

My greatest surprise was how painful/challenging the post-partum process was, and I find very few people and books talk about that. Its as if giving birth is the end, when really its just the beginning.

I digress. I would totally recommend this book to any pregnant woman who is looking to go within and be a part of the beautiful and rare experience that is giving birth. I purchased this for my ipad and it was easy to read and review.

Good luck!
VINE VOICEon November 22, 2008
I was so excited when I heard about this book and I really wanted to like this book, I tried. The concept, Painless Childbirth, is one that I can completely agree on and understand as a possiblity. I just did not enjoy the approach she took. I almost feel like it's mistitled as she spends so much of the book getting around (focusing on before you were pregnant, and during pregnancy) the subject and not so much on the topic, in my opinion. There's quite a bit of emphasis placed on your own birth, as in your mother's experience in laboring and birthing you, including her attitudes. The book follows the idea of chakras and their roles throughout your pregnancy. I consider myself pretty open minded, but the majority of the focus of this book is just too new age for me. I feel books geared more towards hypnobirthing would be better, even if you're not planning on following hypnobirthing, if you're looking for a read more focused actually on painless childbirth.
44 comments| 17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 17, 2008
This is a great book that offers an interesting mindset on childbirth. Contrasting against society's generally conceived view of childbirth, Giuditta offers powerful insights that one must read in order to fully comprehend the concept of a painless childbirth. Her perspectives and tips throughout the book have convinced me that the childbirth process from start to finish is a joyous celebratory time in the lives of those affected. This is an excellent read for those who are ready to or are thinking about starting a family.
on April 16, 2008
This fantastic book showed me what an amazing gift motherhood is. Mama has to be strong and healthy to help baby grow strong and healthy. I found, while carrying Sara, that there were tons of things that other books never told me about - until I landed on this one. This book is a Process - I had to read each page twice over to allow the deep introspective messages to sink-in. Filled with wisdom on the different levels at which true healing is needed, it focusses our attention to them allowing us the freedom to heal those areas in our own unique ways without thrusting the author's opinion on how it needs to be done. It guides Mama through 9 very important aspects that define a person. The book also contains several true-life anecdotes on other pregnant women which helps us empathize and find a common ground and not feel like we are going this alone. Our bodies were created to accomodate an intense experience as delivering a baby - why then should it be deemed painful when the body has been designed to accomodate it unless of course, fear has an influence on our psyche that delivery has to naturally be painful. This book helped me in delivering my baby angel without fear of pain and in total freedom which has made all the difference. I have come a long way as a mom from having read this book. This is a must-read for all pregnant moms. My only wish is that I had laid my hands on it sooner.
on September 13, 2013
I really don't like the message that if a woman has a painful birthing experience it is because she is somehow not yet "enlightened" or not willing to "let go". This book is filled with all of that recovery language that some may recognize from AA. The author has a background in codependents anonymous. This can be helpful for some, but it made me feel like if I were to feel pain then I must be doing something wrong. I was becoming wary, but stuck with her throughout the book and did the exercises. Some were helpful.
The reason I am giving this one star is because in the section where the author describes the onset of contractions, she recommends taking 2 tylenol and drinking a glass of wine to "calm down". This advice really angered me. Why did I bother reading a whole book about a painless child birth ( with looong diatribes against epidurals. etc...) only to get to the real action and be told to self medicate! Really!? This advice seems totally inappropriate given the other messages throughout the book. It is never recommended to mix pain meds and alcohol and especially not while pregnant. I also just have to add that whether one has a painless child birth or not, it does require a great deal of energy. I am certainly glad I did not follow the Tylenol and wine advice!
on December 27, 2011
As an MD and the wife and daugther of an MD, I think we as a society place too much emphasis on medicine in all its various forms. I am one who thinks that pregnancy and birth are nothing more than an acceptable normal state for the female of the species. However, that is not to say that pregnancy and childbirth are not like all other aspects of women's health - i.e. wide and varied definitions of normal.

This book seems to resonate with my beliefs on the subject. We are inundated with pictures of women screaming in pain with childbirth and so I think the rest of us believe that is the way it needs to be. Guiditta dispells this myth and focus us on what is actually going on. We are combined with the divine, whether it be Allah, Budda or just good old fashioned "GOD" to create a new life. She focuses on this fact and uses it to help women come back to earth and realize that they too can have healthy pregnancies and painless birth. I wish I had actually read this BEFORE the third month of my pregnancy as she breaks down meditatively each month of pregnancy. She also doesn't discount the medical aspects of things and puts proper emphasis on when to get worried, go seek medical attention, etc.

This book was a fresh perspective and a breath of fresh air and will be read again prior to future pregnancies. I will give that it is a bit "new-age," but I'm ok with that b/c I'm not that big a fan of the "old-age" stuff.
on March 1, 2015
This book helped me to wrap my head around the idea of being a new mother and not knowing what to expect during delivery. The positive approach that the book teaches mothers aided me in effectively controlling my outlook of the entire labor and delivery process. So much so, I did not even know I was in labor until my nurse alerted me to it through the monitors. To the author, Thank you so much. Your book helped to give me a very memorable and painless delivery.
on May 19, 2008
I approached motherhood with tremendous fear because of stories handed down about problem births of my mother and grandmother, because of fears about hospitals and doctors, and what I didn't realize was the heavy programming from movies, books and stories that childbirth had to be a matter of screaming pain or painkillers-- when clearly millions of mothers have given birth without either throughout history. I realized I could not have a happy drug-free experience of actually being present at this momentous life-changing event if I did not ameliorate these worries and apprehensions. Using the techniques in this book does work to help a woman alleviate previous preconceptions and approach birthing with a relaxed and sacred feeling of creating new life and bonding with her child. I cannot recommend it enough. With the help of a midwife (not the author) I had a wonderful birthing experience which I will always treasure knowing my son got the best possible start in life. Yes, it was intense labor but absolutely painfree. Honestly. We both participated in the miracle of birth in every way and it was joyful indeed! Giuditta Tornetta knows exactly what is best for mother and child.
on January 1, 2011
With all of the "BIRTH IS AN IMMEDIATE CRISIS THAT MUST BE MEDICALLY MANAGED ASAP" info that women receive throughout their lives, this book provides a good antidote. I didn't read this book before my first child was born, but I experienced all the things described in the book when a birth is allowed to unfold naturally. Yes, positive affirmations definitely work to reduce fear and pain and speed things along, and it cannot be stated strongly enough that you MUST have a loving and supportive team around you. That means no doctors or nurses forcing interventions on you or screaming at you to push. Birth really is a beautiful and life-changing experience. However, I found the book pretty irritating in places. I don't see the need to be so new-agey about natural birth, and it annoys me when it seems that authors go way overboard in this area. Ever time I read "hug your baby out," I had to roll by eyes. The author is also a hypnotist and relates many stories about sessions with her clients. Hypnosis is an EXTREMELY unreliable method of retrieving past information. The brain is very malleable, and anyone who takes an intro psychology class can learn about the studies that have been done debunking the myth that all of our memories are perfectly encapsulated, just waiting to be uncovered. It's an outdated way of thinking. So taking someone back to the day they were born in order to solve their current issues seems ridiculous to me. I don't think of this book as essential pregnancy reading. If you only buy one book your entire pregnancy, make it Ina Mae's Guide to Childbirth. It's a fascinating read, and it enabled me to have a wonderful birth. There's none of the new-agey wackiness in it, either. You don't have to be a spacey Hippie to be a huge supporter of midwife-assisted natural birth.