This placemat is the perfect balance between a regulation sheet periodic table and a poster size.
Published on February 26, 2011 by Two kids mom

3.0 out of 5 stars Coins should be actual size
Published on August 15, 2010 by Julie Slott

4.0 out of 5 stars Great for beginning chem students as it is large enough to read., February 26, 2011
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:1.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
It is 17.5 inches by 12 inches and coated in really heavy plastic. Has Atomic number, symbol, name, atomic weight, valence shell configuration (and big enough to actually read), boiling, melting point, density, crystal structure and is color coded. It does stop at 112 and we are up to (in theory 118) but that is not going to be addressed in most beginning chem classes.
Also 110, 111 and 112 do have names now Darmstadtium, Roentgenium and Copernicium respectively. So a new update would be nice (hence one star off, as it was published in 2000) , but again, for beginning students this will not be an issue.

*Update of review
It has been updated, I just ordered a second as my first kid is going off to college to major in chemistry, and the second kid will need her own periodic table at home. The new version has 114 and 116 and the names for 110-112 are added. The rest up to 118 are not listed.

However, it does have a shinier laminate, which my kids did not like as much. The old version had a non shiny surface.

5.0 out of 5 stars Well Made, May 12, 2011
After buying other periodic table placemats and posters, this is by far the best. Most of the others were flimsy and uninspired - more like posterboard. This is a real placemat with bold colors and solid finish that will last.

3.0 out of 5 stars Coins should be actual size, August 15, 2010
This review is from: Painless Learning "Learning About Money" Placemat (Misc.)
I love these learning place mats, we have several of them. But I really, really wish that "Learning About Money" showed coins as their actual sizes. (OR at least in proportion to each other) I find it confusing and so does my son. And, while it is interesting to see the Half Dollar coin and the Golden Dollar coin, I think that they should have been footnotes. That would leave more space for "every day" money.

5.0 out of 5 stars As educator parents, we give this an A+, January 11, 2012
This review is from: Painless Learning "Learning About Money" Placemat (Misc.)
My wife has a doctorate in education and I teach at a large US university. Although we have the typical branded placemats (Marvel, Barbie, Disney, etc) for our kids, we also include educational ones in the mix. In our work life, we constantly try to expose our students to challenging topics more frequently. In fact, I even encourage my adult students to make "placemats" by laminating cheat sheets and just eat by them. I've found that simply having the material handily nearby and out in the open does wonders for long-term recognition, which is much better than short-term memorization.

This placemat in particular is a good start to introduce US currency. Money is starting to enter the mind of my 4 yo and he quickly set his Spider-Man placemat aside when we showed him this one. He won't fully understand everything on the mat for probably another year but that's fine. It's meant to be informational for him on his time. When he wants to ask questions about it, we're there to answer them. One thing you can't tell from the pictures (it's in the description) is that this is two-sided and has B&W exercises on the back.

Overall, this is money well spent!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, November 9, 2010
I am a 1st year nursing student and knew nothing about the metric system. This has been such a big help to me and I did not feel that I was using a toy. A definitely good learning tool!

5.0 out of 5 stars Chemistry placement, October 14, 2010
This is a wonderful placemat. Even my adult sisters are re-learning from it. As a placemat, it won't get ripped or dirty as easily.

5.0 out of 5 stars Homework Necessity, February 25, 2013
What a great idea to have a placemat of the Periodic Table! I bought this placemat to help my high school age daughter with her chemistry homework. It is very sturdy, easy to read, and extremely helpful. SInce it is colorful and fairly large, it is also hard to misplace. We leave it on the dining room table and use it for chemistry homework or mini-lessons whenever needed. One side is color coded to help students rapidly identify the alkali metals, alkaline earth metals, transition metals, nonmetals, noble gases, and metalloids. It also lists the symbol, name, atomic number, atomic weight, valence-shell configuration, boiling point, melting point, density, and crystal structure for each element. The back side of the placemat is in black-and-white and lacks the element names & symbols. This side can filled in with an erasable marker and used to help memorize the Periodic Table.

4.0 out of 5 stars Study your chemistry, periodically!, December 1, 2012
= Durability:5.0 out of 5 stars  = Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars  = Educational:5.0 out of 5 stars
This is an updated Periodic Table from the last one I bought (2002).

This one is dated 2010 and has some the newer elements named properly.
So don't go by the picture - it is of the copyright 2000 version.
The colors seem brighter too - of course mine is aged.

I have mine on the coffee table - great conversation starter!
next to it I have the Star Chart version of placemat.
They compliment one another - the very small next to the very large scale.
Great if you are going on "Jeopardy!" or studying for Chem 201.
(It keeps the beer glass from spoiling the table - giant coaster!)

5.0 out of 5 stars The 4th place mat, February 5, 2012
George Merriam (Colorado Springs, Co) - See all my reviews
I bought this to make a set of 4. This was my 4th choice and was combined with a world map, US map and a place mat with all the presidents. Two 10 year olds grabbed this one right away before dinner and began quizzing each other about their times tables, then flipped it over and began completing back side with a dry erase marker. All the place mats have been fun,educational,durable and stimulate dinner conversation.

5.0 out of 5 stars great for chemistry class!!!!, January 31, 2012
I am a home-school educator and my son is currently taking chemistry. This laminated mat is absolutely great and he has indicated what an asset it has been throughout the coarse. One side of the mat is colored and the other is in black-and-white. Electron configurations of elements are listed, as well. To me this is a must-have for all high-school chemistry students and the lamination make it higly durable.

Painless Learning "Learning About Money" Placemat