Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis STEM Segway miniPro

Format: Audio CD|Change

on September 19, 2000
Paint Your Wagon has never gotten the acclaim it deserves, and the soundtrack music is nearly as good as some of the legitimate titans in this genre, like Sound of Music or My Fair Lady. Every song on this record is exceptional (with the exception of the tunes warbled by Clint Eastwood).
I'm on My Way, They Call the Wind Maria and There's a Coach Comin' In hold their own against any song performed on a broadway musical stage or in any movie (yes, I'm serious). Harve Presnel's vocals are amazing. But the pinnacle of this album will forever remain Lee Marvin "singing" Wandrin' Star, the class act song of the entire production. Could Marvin sing? Of course not, but it doesn't matter, you can listen to this version a thousand times and never weary of it.
The soundtrack is leagues ahead of the movie itself, which is not particularly good. But these songs will live forever. The orchestration, back up singers and arrangements are all a class act. If you're a fan of this movie or of musical theatre in general, this is essential for your collection.
33 comments| 95 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on May 2, 2000
Yes, that was really Lee Marvin singing Wand'rin' Star. How many Lee Marvin movies have you seen where he sings with that wonderful, almost sober, deep bass voice of his. The producers were seriosly thinking of pinch hitting Marvin because he didn't sing very well. But a professional singer in Marvin's place would have seemed un-natural. Maybe you noticed, however, that the producers did indeed plug in a few professional singers to cover, shall we say, the more stressful notes. There was no pinch hitting, however, for Harve Presnell, "Rotten Luck Willie"; they Call The Wind Maria, hasn't been sung better since.
I fell in love with the music of Paint Your Wagon more than I fell in love with the movie. I have owned the 8-track, the album, and now the CD. I suppose I'll own the Paint Your Wagon LQ (liquid Crystal) whenever it is invented. The soundtrack of Paint Your Wagon is a classic keeper for all time.
I have a question: Which song on Paint Your Wagon do you like best? I've never been able to decide, have you? E-mail me and tell me your favorite, if you have a favorite.
44 comments| 48 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 19, 1999
I grew up on this version (the movie soundtrack) but haven't heard it since the needle for our turntable went out of production. When I first heard of a nationwide CD search service, I called up and ordered it. Only the Broadway version was available, so that's what I gave my dad for his birthday. He was excited at first, but after listening to it once, it was relegated to the CD graveyard (the large shoebox under the stereo). I've never heard anything so operatic called "western"--way too Broadway for the subject matter. I'm excited to get the "real" version again after all these years! Thank you, Amazon.
on December 10, 1998
I am a Paint Your Wagon boy. Some of my first memories are of my dad listening to and singing along with great songs like "I'm on My Way", "There's a Coach Comin' In", and "Wandrin' Star". Even now I will sometimes pull out the old and scratchy LP and listen to those wonderful songs. I was very excited when I recenty discovered that that album had been transferred to compact disk. I immediately ordered a copy for me and a copy for my father as a christmas present. I can't wait to hear all of those songs from my childhood in the clarity and richness that a CD can provide. But nostalgia is not the only reason I love this soundtrack. Allow me to explain. Paint Your Wagon is a soundtrack from a musical era gone by. Unlike many modern soundtracks, this one can be enjoyed by the whole family. It features the late Lee Marvin (Ben Rumson) and a young Clint Eastwood (Partner) backed up by an exeptional men's chorus singing about the trials of being prospectors in the gold rush of the 19th century. The songs are fun to listen to and fun to sing along with. I would reccomend it to anyone!
on May 15, 2001
This record was produced by MCA in 1977 and is presented on CD as AAD-recording. But never mind - the sound quality definetely is excellent.
What do you get to hear? Well, it's the original soundtrack of an musical playing in the wild, wild west (?!!): PAINT YOUR WAGON ( in Germany called "Westwärts zieht der Wind").
And it really IS an soundtrack, not one of these pop-quicky-samplers as of recent movies. All songs are really to be heard in the movie. The music was composed by Frederick Loewe, the lyrics are by Alan Jay Lerner. Sounds familiar? Indeed, it's the same team that made famous "My Fair Lady", "Camelot" and other great musicals. And the tunes of this movie don't have to hide behind the "ordinary" musicals.
You'll get to hear wonderful tunes and songs you even can understand. And for the first time will hear some actors "sing". Well, kind of - regarding Lee Marvin, with his nevertheless smash hit "Wand'rin' Star" and - surprise - hardliner Clint Eastwood singing a warm romatic ballad "I still see Eliza". Amongst many very good chorus tracks ("There's a coach comin' in" / "Whoop-Ti-Ay!") you will also find one featuring the Nitty Gritty Dirt Band on "Hand me down that can o'beans".
But my play tip is - no, not Lee Marvin - but Harve Presnell as "Rotten Luck Willie" on the wonderful ballad "I call the wind Maria".
Over-all-ranking: 5 Stars *****
on July 27, 2005
I actually purchased the CD for one song They Call the Wind Maria. It is such a stirring number and the singer is superb. Having enjoyed the movie, there were other tracks I enjoyed too like Lee Marvin singing Wanderin'Star.

The quality of the CD was excellent and it arrived in good time.
on October 8, 2015
Paint Your Wagon is such a classic movie and my husband and I watch it periodically. The story is good but the soundtrack is outstanding.
The movie features Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood, Harve Presnell, Ray Walston and Jean Seburg who all do an outstanding job in the acting arena and double duty singing. The two surprises in the vocal area are Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood. Are they opera quality? No, but they do a bang up job none the less.

My favorite song on the whole soundtrack would be Lee Marvin doing Wand'rin' Star. It has such a haunting, melancholy tone to it although it wasn't at all sad. After hearing this song, it goes through my head all day long. Marvin's voice lends itself to the simplicity of the words and music and no one else will ever be able to sing it in quite the same way. He owns this song. Next on the list of greats is Harve Presnell's rendition of They Call the Wind Maria which projects his classically trained voice. Stupendous. Harve's voice showcases it's class to the more rowdy songs sung here.

And last but not least is the softly songs sung by Clint Eastwood. He does a surprisingly good job of singing which was a bit of a surprise because he's definitely not known for his vocals. I Talk to the Trees is a standout song and well worth listening to. He performs several of the songs and all are quite good.

The Nitty Gritty Dirt Band backs up many of the songs on this CD and blend well with all of the solos. This is an outstanding soundtrack of a an enduring movie and one well worth having in your musical library. This is a raucous happy funny movie that is sure to bring a smile upon hearing the music.
on March 30, 2016
Lee Marvin, Clint Eastwood, Jean Seberg......Singers? Not your first thought---but this late 60's musical did have it all!!! Semi-truthful historical tale---two miners become partners, gold is found, multitude of all kind of men descend on Northern California----Mormon with TWO wives---auctions one off (Seberg) and merriment ensues. True to the "classic musical" every song advances the plot.....from the haunting overture..."Gold/Paint Your Wagon" sung in several successive languages (English/French/Chinese/Spanish/etc) to "They Call the Wind Mariah"....(the "true Showstopper") this film/musical spent considerable monies on the stars, the sets (all built out in the wilderness of Oregon subbing for Northern California)---and the action keeps it going----"There's A Coach Coming In"....rivals "Wells Fargo Wagon" from Music Man...for the historical/sociological importance of the only communication with the world---the stage coach. Timing was bad for this adventure---and it is considered a "flop" based on monies earned---but very worthwhile of your viewing and listening enjoyment. Even Lee Marvin's "Wandrin' Star" is charming! Try it! You'll like it!
on September 27, 2015
I guess I have very different taste than a lot of music lovers, as I think this CD is one of the best for show tunes. Of course I love the movie, too. Clint's voice isn't too bad at all. Lee's voice leaves a little to be desired, but I feel is true to his character. But I absolutely love Harve Presnell's voice. I could listen to him sing all day long and Mariah is one of the most lovely songs ever, IMO!! It is too bad he wasn't a little earlier for his career as I believe he would have given Howard Keel a run for his money, especially for Showboat. I'm sorry he didn't get to sing in many more albums than this one and several others - The Unsinkable Molly Brown and the college break one with Connie Frances.
on August 11, 2014
Reading some of the negative reviews, I am led to wonder if some people have no sense of humor. Paint Your Wagon contains far more humor than any other musical; it is the humor that has always made this work for me. Not just a couple of humorous moments, but a handful of outrageous situations from "Here's the boy, give me the man" to the auctioning of the Morman wife to a drunk Lee Marvin, to marriage by mining law (as a form of property exchange) , to reverse polygamy (one woman for two men), to hijacking a stagecoach of prostitutes and finally to the destruction of the town due to the tunneling for gold dust and a enraged bull.

While this might have worked for better singing voices than those used here, the voices used do match the time and place. It was a very rustic, all male mining town in the middle of nowhere. If you lose the rustic qualities, you lose some of the suspension of disbelief that made this movie what it is.

The fact is that I got to know this music through the film. Perhaps a staging may have used actors with better voices, but I'd much rather have this soundtrack than a version with better voices. Are Lee Marvin and Clint Eastwood great singers? Heck no, but somehow their voices, such as they are, really worked well for this musical.

This musical was just just plain fun. Hearing the songs associated with it brings back memories of the scenes from the movie. Highly recommended to anyone who enjoyed the film.