Winter Driving Best Books of the Month Valentine's Day Shop Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Chi-Raq easycohice_2016 All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Valentine's Day Cards Find the Best Purina Pro Plan for Your Pet Amazon Gift Card Offer chiraq chiraq chiraq  Amazon Echo All-New Fire Kindle Paperwhite Shop Now SnS

100%

on May 14, 2002
Friends and family can't always be around when you need them, but a good book like this one can. It's beautifully illustrated and the inspiring texts and thoughtful prayers were obviously selected with great care for the occasions you are in need of comfort or insight the most.
The book is organized in eight different sections: upon waking, of thanksgiving, of contemplation, of god, of praise, of dying, for the middle of the night, and of renewal. Some of the most famous thinkers of our time are featured -- Rumi, Chuang-Tzu, Rilke and Leonard Cohen (yes, Cohen certainly fits in) -- as well as interfaith prayers, all complimented by Uttal's expressive watercolors.
The real joy I find in Painted Prayers is it offers words of solace for when I'm down and also words of wisdom to reflect on if I'm looking for guidance. This book in a way can respond to all the crazy and confusing times in my life; I just have to choose that right section. For instance, in times of conflict I can think of what Chuang-Tzu states in the section of contemplation: "when we understand, we are at the center of the circle, and there we sit while yes and no chase each other around the circumference."
It's nice being able to turn to Painted Prayers when my loved ones can't be around. Maybe the book doesn't have all the answers, but I know there's always something in the book that will enlighten me.
on May 6, 2002
Painted Prayers is a wonderful book of evocative paintings and inspiring texts. Each saying or prayer, coupled with the artist's gorgeous watercolors, will make you think or cry or daydream or simply bring you comfort. My favorite section is "of contemplation" which features enlightening words from Rumi, Rilke, Chuang-tzu and even Makeba, Queen of Sheba. If the words don't move you, Uttal's artwork will, but taken together, each couplet is a beautiful union.
The other sections -- "upon waking," "of thanksgiving," "of god," "of praise," "of dying," "for the middle of the night," and "of renewal" -- each provide guidance and support for a person's different moods or life-changing events one might face over time. Like a good friend, Painted Prayers can bring you joy or solace on the days you need it the most, which is exactly why I keep it on my nightstand.
on May 20, 2002
A friend gave me this book for my birthday-what a wonderful gift! The book is a thoughtful collection of prayers and other bits of wisdom from various spiritual traditions-everyone from Meister Eckhart to Makeba, Queen of Sheba. Accompanying the texts are the author's vibrant watercolors-paintings with so much energy and wistfulness that they provoke you as much as the "prayers." All in all, it's a life-affirming book and keeping a copy at the office (where mine stays) is a perfect way to add a few moments of stillness and mindfulness into a busy day.
on May 11, 2011
This is one of my all-time favorite books. I've bought about a dozen copies and given them away as gifts.

I love the variety of written material- from Leonard Cohen to Jesus- and her watercolors are beautiful. This book has brought me great comfort at difficult times.
on December 15, 2002
This book was amazing, with stunning, breathtaking paintings, and true meaningful words. I completely reccomend it, and urge you to buy it.
on December 8, 2015
Lovely! Visually stunning expansions of fine poetry