Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Water Sports

on August 30, 2000
I had very high expectations from "Paintings" when I ordered it, and they were all met! The volume contains beautiful fine quality, mainly full-page reproductions from the famous collection. "Paintings" is a beautifully designed, very substantial size volume which also offers Colin Eisler's very informative yet not imposing style of writing with which she guides us through the many periods of western art and the history behind Catherine the Great's collection. I, a Russian, can only appreciate the thoroughness with which the Hermitage collection is compiled in the "Paintings." I bought it along with "Paintings in the Louvre," both volumes are of the same format as if in the same series and will always be our priceless source for admiring some of the world's most treasured canvases.
on September 5, 2002
Outstanding photography
I sent this book as a gift to my brother, who is a printer. He thought that pains had been taken with the photography to produce such fine prints. He compared it to another book of Restoration painters that he had once bought at the Guggenheim, having been thrilled with the original exhibition, but said that the Restoration photography had been careless and therefore did not print well, whereas the Hermitage collection exhibited outstanding photography. I didn't buy books that were available in St. Petersburg at the Hermitage because they didn't look good, but these were both beautiful and plentiful. I can't comment on the accompanying text, as I didn't read it.
on March 1, 2014
When my husband and I were in Russia a couple of years ago and visited the Hermitage, we decided against buying a book in the gift shop there because they were expensive and the books were heavy to lug around on our trip. We thought we could easily find one back in the States. It turned out this was not the case. Books on the Hermitage are surprisingly few. We are delighted to have found this book, and at such a good price..
on June 3, 2007
Context: I'm not an academic or a scholar; I'm a regular guy who likes visiting museums when I travel and I wanted to do a little researach before I left. This book worked well for my daughter and I to determine which parts of the museum deserved the most time (on a short trip) and to get a better understanding of the works. I'm not qualified to evaluate it from an academic perspective, but as a layman it was exactly what we needed.
on February 23, 2014
The photos are great, as others have said, but it's very oddly arranged: by subject rather than by artist and chronology. So if you want to look at the Renaissance, you have to plow through each subject category, and find the Picassos mixed in with the Raphaels in Portraits, for example. It reminds me of the prison library in southern Virginia where the books are arranged by size.
on March 7, 2013
The collection of paintings is extensive therefore this volume is quite thick and heavy. The attentions to detail is painstaking, however, the reproductions of the paintings are in small format which takes away from the grandeur. Some details of the paintins are magnified because of smaller format of the book. Overall, a good reference but too long of a read. Too heavy for a coffee table.
on October 3, 2005
I sent this book to my mother after we toured the Hermitage this summer. She loved it. Lots of narrative, which she may not take time to read, but the pictures are great.
on November 18, 2014
Very impressive and affordable. The book is weighty, and the prints are lovely.
on February 19, 2016
Great product! Excellent!
on March 30, 2010
I had received this book in excellent condition. The sender wrapped it three times and it reached me in excellent condition.