5.0 out of 5 stars better than the connectors on the panel
Published 23 months ago by amzn buyer

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution read update
ORIGINAL REVIEW (Update Below):

I am an Electrical Engineer, and a radio Ham. I work with many types of connectors.

The contacts look like silver plated copper, which means excellent conductivity. The connector snap together so well, with a positive locking mechanism. I love them.

I would use a good quality crimp-er, and I suppose these...
Published 13 months ago by Conrad B. Senior

5.0 out of 5 stars better than the connectors on the panel, March 21, 2013
This review is from: 5 Pairs of MC4 Male/ Female Solar Panel Cable Connectors (Lawn & Patio)
These things fit perfect, at least the batch i got. They were better than the panel connectors because they had locking tabs, while the panel connectors did not have that little tab to lock the connectors together. One thing, i have a HEX crimper but decided to solder the conductor pin also since i don't want to deal with fixing anything on the roof for 20 years. Last thing, 8ga wire will fit thru the shell and pin will crimp perfectly.

5.0 out of 5 stars SKIP TO 54 SECONDS OF THIS LINK TO SEE PICS OF ASSEMBLY [...], November 2, 2013
Skip to 54 seconds to see pics of assembly. [...]

These worked well to parallel/series numerous 235w pv panels. They lock together firmly and will not come loose. However, don't bother getting removal tool--it's not necessary. They will come apart easily if both tabs are depressed simultaneously while pulling. I crimped and soldered without problem to #10 AWG copper. One caution: I mistakenly disconnected a string under a load of 72VDC at about 7 amps and it welded burrs and distorted the female and male pins which prevented reinsertion. I replaced the ends and all is well--but do not connect or disconnect under load. This, I am sure, is the case with all MC4 connectors and was a user mistake, item works well.

5.0 out of 5 stars These connectors are so hard to find in a reasonable count, March 16, 2013
With competing listings going for nearly the same price for one pair, I found these to be a bargain. Until this point I had just been cutting off the MC4 connectors and using twist on wire connectors, and electric tape. Not very elegant, I know, but it just seem like such a waste to spend 20 bucks on every pair of cables. Now that the prices have become reasonable I've purchased several of these in order to upgrade all of the connections to MC4.

I found these connectors to be flawless. They're operated perfectly under heavy load. I recommend to anyone wants to put them under heavy load that they use solder after crimping in the space between the crimping area and the hollow area also I would extend the copper wire all through the hollow area so that there's plenty of contact. These are great for the price I'm glad there is a seller offering them at such a reasonable price they seem to be very high-quality. Please note you must put on the pieces onto the wire in sequence, you have to put the round nut onto the wire then the compression nut then crimp the wire then, if you were me you'd solder in the space between the crimp and the enclosed hollow area that you should've filled with copper wire, careful not to overflow or make the connector more wide, then close it all up. It's not really easy to pull the the internal male and female pins out of the connector once they've been locked in place, without damaging the connector. So make sure you have that washer the compression nut with the little cuts facing down towards the wire (away from the pin)nand everything is in order before you push the pin in, and then screw the nut on tight.

Before I could even complete that project though, the batteries that I had using for years, finally hit end-of-life. As soon as I realized this I ordered a replacement on Amazon from a third-party seller, which turned out to be defective. As you can probably see from my reviews I depends on solar power I purchase all of these items to be used with my solar array.

In the interest of other people assembling solar arrays or servicing them, The reply that I got from one of the Escalated CSR agents at Amazon On Friday, March 15, 2013:

"I don't mean to sound cold, but you chose to live off of batteries. That's not Bluegrass Wholesale's problem, and that's not Amazon's problem." Customer centric? Earth friendly? It sure doesn't feel that way! There's nothing wrong with living off solar and batteries, there is something wrong with cheating a customer and doing absolutely nothing proactively to make it right, at least one of the CSR agents was able to provide a 12 amp hour motorcycle battery so that I wouldn't be in pitch black darkness.

Nonetheless, although this particular product seems to work just fine, I'd be cautious making purchases for your solar array on Amazon, since they seem to have customer service representatives that consider off grid living some kind of deviant lifestyle. And should you need an A-Z claim they have absolutely no idea what any of this stuff is for or how it works.

1.0 out of 5 stars Caution read update, January 22, 2014
Conrad B. Senior (Easton, CT United States) - See all my reviews
ORIGINAL REVIEW (Update Below):

I would use a good quality crimp-er, and I suppose these could be soldered as well. Inserting some dielectric grease into the fitting before connecting would make them bomb proof. The grease ensures water can never get in, I'm not sure it could anyway with these in any case, because of the rubber seal, and the grease also prevents corrosion.

I'd say these connectors could stand up to outdoor exposure for the rest of my life and beyond.

My original plan was to use solder and shrink tubing, and make my own termination box. I am very glad I chose to spend a few bucks on this style connector.

Buy these and and the 2-1 junction connectors that mate to these and you won't regret it. I like these so much that I may start using this for other high amperage ham radio applications.

Use with 10 Gauge stranded wire for solar panel use. Smaller wire would work, but not be a good idea.

UPDATE: BE AWARE THIS PRODUCT HAS CHANGED. All the positive reviews were for the original style connector. It is a bait and switch trap. You will not get the good connectors now. The rubber seal has been eliminated for a cheapo plastic piece attached to the connector. This makes it difficult to fill the cavity with dielectric grease to prevent corrosion and also prevents a good seal where the wire enters the connector. I am not sure if the original style are made any more.

My story: I bought these a second time after having good luck the first time, and got bootleg items that do not seal well and I had to return. They no longer seem to be made at the same level of quality as my previous connectors. I NO LONGER RECOMMEND THESE. Frankly, I'm disgusted that they eliminated the rubber seal and went to a crappy plastic that does not seal well except in large outer diameter wire.

I hate the fact that I wasted any money on these as I have to cut them off and change my wire because they no longer neck down tight. I contacted Amazon and they will pay for return shipping my order, however the new photo's shows this new style connector, so I am hesitant to reorder. They can be made to work but you have to choose the wire you use carefully. I am now going back to the panel itself with a different size wire, and hopefully that will work with a liberal amount of dielectric grease.

I'd like to make a few gestures at the last vendor for selling me this junk. And still more gestures at the manufacturer for dumping these on the market and stopping production on a superior product.

5.0 out of 5 stars I am impressed, August 3, 2013
Donald A. Richards (PORT ARTHUR, TEXAS, US) - See all my reviews
Best connections I have used or seen for water resistant and making a prefect connection. It has been said that they accept up to #8 AWG but I used #6 AWG with no problem getting the wire in, crimped as well as soldered. If the nut seal is not tight enough use electrical tape to build up on wire before screwing on nut seal to make them completely water tight. The O ring on connection is perfect to seal out water and dust to prevent corrosion and still able to unplug if needed.
I was missing 4 metal parts of the MC4 M/F in the lot I received. Sent a message to the seller was so considerate to send them to me with very little problems so I will make them my primary supplier for future projects. Shipping was before delivery date promised and well packaged
Amazon is good

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple illustration needed, March 25, 2013
Jason Jimson (Puna, Hawaii, USA) - See all my reviews
With no assembly instructions, it took awhile to figure out which metal part went with which half, and where to crimp it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Super happy, March 28, 2014
These connectors are great. Bought a panel and controller and needed some extra connectors. This was the best deal and after getting them I'm real happy with how well they are built and fit. Plan to buy more and use them for other electronic systems. Thanks

4.0 out of 5 stars MC4 Connectors, February 11, 2013
Fast delivery, good price, and good quality product. The positive (male) pin on some units were not tapered enough so insertion was difficult where pin was not perfectly centered in the housing. Use a file to smooth the end of the pin.
No special tool needed for assembly or disassembly. SwissTool did the job. I soldered the crimps also.

1.0 out of 5 stars not as shown in first product picture, as shown in other pictures, but hardly works!, September 21, 2014
NOT as shown in the first product picture if purchased through able provider. Instead, you get the MC4 connectors as shown in other pictures with the hex heads on the ends of each connector. The terminals/connection pieces inside the plastic pieces are ill fitting and do not make contact with each other unless you bend them before assembling the connector. For the male pieces, you must take a sharp object such as a knife, and insert it in a little crack and get the fitting to expand. For the female fittings, you must squeeze them a little. Even after taking these precautions, I had a connector go bad during the installation process. This was while installing my first solar pannel and inverter. I believed I had a defective inverter and I was at wits end about to send it back. I jiggled all of the wires, and in the end I found the male connector wasn't bent enough (as described earlier). As I was unable to remove the connector, I had to place aluminum foil inside to make the connection work. DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!
I will not be buying from able provider again! Low quality metal fittings, decent plastic pieces and o-ring, shopping elsewhere for my next set.

5.0 out of 5 stars solar commectors, March 16, 2014
arrived on time and very easy to work with. Just striped the wires plugged them into the metal tines and crimped the living dog doo doo out of them. Inserted them into the protective cover then clicked the whole system together.