Automotive Holiday Deals Books Gift Guide Books Gift Guide Shop Men's Athletic Shoes Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums egg_2015 Fire TV Stick Beauty Gifts Gifts Under $50 Amazon Gift Card Offer minions minions minions  Amazon Echo Starting at $84.99 Kindle Black Friday Deals TheGoodDinosaur Outdoors Gift Guide on HTL

Format: MP3 MusicChange

on April 28, 2009
I bought this CD based upon Alec Howe's glowing report of this Pal Joey 1957 soundtrack and feel that I have to put in my ten cents worth. I received it today and can honestly say that it is one of the worst transfers to CD that I have heard. It has a compressed, flat, sound - with all the dynamics sucked out of it. In addition there is audible distortion, especially where the female singer's sibilants transfer as crackles - most apparent at the beginning of the song Zip, but present throughout. It's as though the transfer was made, using ~ $100 worth of equipment, from a less than pristine LP record with the scratch, pop and hiss filter turned up to maximum. The manufacturers even manage to slightly clip the end of some of the songs too as if they were in a hurry to just get the thing done.
In case you think I may be reviewing a different product, and I couldn't blame you, I am reviewing the disc described on Amazon as Pal Joey (OST)[IMPORT][Soundtrack] and the product details list the manufacturer as Phantom Sound and Vision (actually on the disc it says made in Holland by Hallmark Music and Entertainment, but the cover art - from the Columbia DVD, not Capitol's original LP. - shows it to be the same disc). Certainly phantom sound adequately describes the quality of this abysmal product.
It's unfortunate,because it doesn't have to be this way. I recently bought June Christy's Misty Miss Christy and Something Cool - circa late 50s and both on Capitol (Jazz) CDs. They are both excellent transfers. Considering Sinatra is a major cash cow for Capitol, I've no idea why the label hasn't made this soundtrack available.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on July 7, 2010
The audio quality of this CD is terrible. It's shameful, actually. Stupid me for not reading the other critical review in advance of my purchase for it is "spot on."
on April 26, 2011
Great CD which has studio recordings of the songs from the movie. "Small Hotel" is wonderful. If I'm not mistaken, on this version, I can hear tics and pops off the LP record. Go with a more recent remastered version.
on November 20, 2008
Import or not, this is a remarkably good transfer of the original Capitol soundtrack recording -- strong fidelity, great cover art to boot, and you can't beat the price. I held my breath, expecting the worst, but this is one of very few 'let's-take-a chance-on-an-import' risks that has paid off for me. This issue sounds even better than Capitol's original CD pressing, which, once you get past its rarity, was never considered a solid transfer. Buy with confidence!
on May 19, 2015
A great Rodgers and Hart score and Frank Sinatra in top form make this a winner. But it's not the original Broadway show.