Amazon.com: Customer Reviews: Pale Fire
Your Garage botysf16 Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Patriotic Picks Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer roadies roadies roadies  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

Format: Paperback|Change

Showing 1-5 of 5 reviews(1 star). Show all reviews
on March 5, 2013
Don't buy the kindle edition, the formatting is so bad as to make it unreadable. I ended up getting the iBooks version instead, even though I prefer the kindle for reading. The book itself is magnificent, it is just the kindle version that is bad.
on March 27, 2015
Hated it. I almost used this book as a fire starter, but that would have required me to touch it once again.
on May 5, 2008
A clever construction and master of words in an essentially unreadable work that fails to hold interest either on a character level or, for lack of a better term, plot. This book is like watching a painter work, marveling at what he does with great appreciation, while the actual painting itself is unappreciable.
55 comments|17 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on March 31, 2009
Oh, it sounds cute--to embed a novel in the form of footnotes to a meaningless poem. And one has to admit, it was well done. But there is something contrived. Of course, this was a time in which almost all literature had to be "new" in some way, and that led to all sorts of strained productions. But I think in a good novel, you need to identify with the protagonist -- even if you see him as flawed, even evil (as in Dostoevsky's Raskolnikov [see my review!]). But this narrator is just pathetic. There's no way to see this as anything other than a joke that goes on too long.

I think the reason we can't identify with him is precisely because he is so self-indulgent -- to hijack this poem which is supposed to be a tribute to his deceased friend with his own rather petty concerns. We end up wishing he would just shut the heck up and let us finish the (dreadful) poem. I know it is supposed to be humorous, but I just get mad -- what if I were to hijack these reviews to foist my own personal problems on you, the reader? I'd be betraying a sort of trust. Even though that's how Nabokov wanted it to read, I just can't take it [61--fin].
99 comments|12 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 15, 2001
I agree with the reveiwer who branded Pale Fire as brillinat but empty. I found no humour in it whatsoever, just an artist trying to make sport of his readers.