5.0 out of 5 stars Paleo Diet
Published on September 27, 2012 by gg

1.0 out of 5 stars Contradictions....
I just received the book and wish I never bought it. He uses soy sauce in 1 of the recipes which I thought salt was a no no as well as maple sugar. Its 67 pages of common sense that you can read via Internet for free. It's not 7 days worth of whole menu food either. I suggest another read.
Published 15 months ago by Mc

5.0 out of 5 stars Paleo Diet, September 27, 2012
As the title states, this is a great book for Paleo beginners! It's difficult to leave behind processed foods, grains, starches, and refined sugars and base your diet on lean meats, nuts, and plant fats, and Chatham's book shows he understands how hard it can be to make these changes. He starts with general information about the Paleo diet, but then focuses on preparing the reader's mind, body, and physical environment in order to follow through and make a successful shift into the Paleo diet lifestyle. He even provides a whole chapter that gives you a daily task to complete the week before starting the paleo diet, so that the transition will be as easy as possible.
There are also a lot of practical tools included in the book. It includes an extensive list of acceptable Paleo foods, and the meal plans and recipes are very simple. There are hints on where to shop for high quality foods, what time of day to eat, how to avoid common pitfalls, and even quizzes for personalizing your approach to the diet. Chatham does not dismiss the difficulties you may encounter when you begin the diet, and I appreciate his realistic approach. He wants you to see that the initial challenges are well worth the gains, and help you truly adopt the Paleo lifestyle.

5.0 out of 5 stars This is not a cookbook!, April 26, 2013
This review is from: Paleo for Beginners: Essentials to Get Started (Paperback)
This is a great little introduction to the paleo diet. Tons of useful information for getting started. If you're just getting into the paleo lifestyle and you want a full rundown of what it's all about, this is the book for you.

But this is not a cookbook with recipes and photos. I saw quite a few reviews complaining about that.

If you're new to the paleo diet and you're looking for easy, non-intimidating recipes to get you started, I recommend these books:

Cave Wraps: 40 Fast & Easy Paleo Recipes for the Best Damn Wraps Ever

Everyday Paleo Family Cookbook: Real Food for Real Life

Switching to a not-terribly-strict paleo diet has changed my life. I have so much more energy and feel so clear-headed that it's really like a whole new world. If you're on the fence, I recommend getting this book along with the recipe books I mentioned and seeing for yourself the difference it makes in your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Short and Sweet, March 18, 2013
This review is from: Paleo for Beginners: Essentials to Get Started (Paperback)
I've read many books on the Paleo diet and I feel that this is one of the best. It is short with all the information you need and it states it in a manner that is easy to understand. The meal guide is also helpful.

5.0 out of 5 stars A Simple Diet For Success!, September 28, 2012
What really drew me to this book was how literally down to earth it is. Chatham sets up a really simple plan to follow that has its roots in how the early cavemen ate. By keeping to a simple diet consisting of lean meats, healthy fats, nuts, fruit, and vegetables, you'll feel and look healthier, and shed some serious pounds. This diet isn't unrealistic or complicated, and requires no exotic ingredients or crazy exercise routines. While this is more of a life-style change than a crash diet, it will eventually eliminate your cravings for all the bad food that causes so many health problems. As a person with a gluten allergy, I especially liked how it was naturally gluten free. I also enjoyed Chapter 5, which included sample meal plans and recipes (including recipes for entertaining non-Paleo friends) and Chapter 4, which talks about preparing mentally for the diet. I felt it was truly motivational. I can't wait to start looking and feeling better by eating like a modern day cave-dweller!

5.0 out of 5 stars A life changing experience, January 17, 2013
This review is from: Paleo for Beginners: Essentials to Get Started (Paperback)
I have wanted to find a diet I was able to follow and that would work but the paleo diet was far too complicated until now. With John Chatham book I feel like I have a friend who is there for me at every turn. I am now eating like I was designed to eat. I have after a few days started loseing weight but I do not have that sluggish feeling I have had in the past on new diets. You are encouraged to eat often from a variety of tasty food. I have yet to feel really hungry The author takes the time to help you understand what the paleo diet is and how it works. He then takes you to the market and helps you buy what you need. My friends on this diet spend a lot of money for wild meats and expensive ingredients but John gives you alternatives and my food budget has not changed. He also explained why you can buy this instead of that so you know how to shop wisely. In the kitchen I learned to make the dishes both tasty and beautiful with a variety of meal plans so you never get bored. After seeing what I am doing my family and friends are wanting to know more. Even friends who are on the paleo diet. I just show them the book. I am healthy and having fun with this. I highly recommend this if your human.

4.0 out of 5 stars Interesting approach to dieting, October 2, 2012
I had read a little about the Paleo diet before reading this quick summary, and now that I know more about it, I may give it a try. The author outlines the basic principles of the diet, which include eating high quantities of eggs, meat and fish (yay!) and forgoing carbs and sugars, including all grains and dairy products. Essentially, this is how our ancestors ate before humans invented farming, and it's supposed to help our bodies operate more efficiently and can help us lose weight and reverse some medical conditions and food allergies. The author makes the diet seem pretty moderate and easy to stick to, and he includes shopping lists and recipes as well to make it as easy as possible for busy people to follow. Overall, I think this is a good introduction for anyone interested in the Paleo diet.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great New Diet Book, March 13, 2013
This review is from: Paleo for Beginners: Essentials to Get Started (Paperback)
I picked this book up on the recommendation of my girlfriend and, not being a up on the latest dietary news, let me just say how surprised and satisfied I was. Now, I've always been a heavier set individual, prone to indulging in various culinary excesses, trying the occasional diet, and then usually quitting because I didn't think I could keep up with the system. Well, based on my read of Paleo For Beginners and its accessible presentation of its everyman diet, I've decided that I'll give this diet a more realistic shot. The book promotes the kind of high-protein, low-carb diet that actually compliments my lifestyle and allows me to work out without feeling totally burned the next day because my diet doesn't allow me to eat properly. Granted, it might take a little time for me (and others) to cut out things like hollow sources of sugar, alcohol, and processed foods, but Paleo For Beginners presents strong rational for doing so and instead building your diet around meats, seafoods, and plants high in protein. The book finishes up with a series of seemingly delicious recipes to help get you in the swing, a lifesaver for people like me.

1.0 out of 5 stars Contradictions...., July 18, 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars So easy a caveman can do it, October 3, 2012
In, Paleo for Beginners: Essentials to Get Started, best-selling author John Chatham lays out a diet plan in a way that resembles the diet of our Paleolithic ancestors without all the difficult tasks of hunting, gathering or foraging. Through eating things such as meats, eggs, nuts, and fruits which the Paleo diet suggests, you'll reap the health and weight loss benefits without having to turn your lifestyle inside out.

Chatham emphasizes the importance of Omega-3 fatty acids, which can help you feel full and burn stored fats. He discourages the consumption of processed foods (which he links to modern diseases) and alcohol (with high sugar content). Imagine this for a weekday menu: banana pancakes for breakfast, greek salad for lunch, trail mix for a mid-afternoon snack, grilled salmon and grilled vegetables for dinner, and chilled cantaloupe for dessert. mmm...

Not only does Paleo for Beginners come complete with lists of foods you can and cannot eat, full recipes, and helpful tips so you can feel healthy and lose weight, Chatham also provides ways for users to fight the mental challenges dieting presents. Chatham cites, "The right attitude and the right reasons for making the change," as important things dieters need, among others. With a week of preparation -- scripted for your convenience in Chapter 4 -- you'll be ready to diet the old fashion way.

1.0 out of 5 stars Dont Start off the Wrong Way, Get a Better Book, March 24, 2014
This review is from: Paleo for Beginners: Essentials to Get Started (Paperback)
Luckily I came across this not entirely new to Paleo or to nutrition because the book is lacking real substance. Paleo, is not a simple, do as I say diet, there is actual science behind why certain foods are good and bad. Get a book that delves deeper into this and start yourself off on solid footing so you understand why this lifestyle works! The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf is fairly solid and Gary Taubes Why We Get Fat will also help you understand a bit of the science behind paleo (though his is not truly a "paleo diet" book.) If you are really looking for a simple "starters" quide I think "Practical Paleo" is a much better option.

Paleo for Beginners: Essentials to Get Started
Paleo for Beginners: Essentials to Get Started by John Chatham (Paperback - October 23, 2013)
$9.99 $9.80