5.0 out of 5 stars Paleo diet brings bread back!
Published 16 months ago by review-icus

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge this book by its cover
Published 16 months ago by Emma Antunes

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't judge this book by its cover, February 25, 2013
This review is from: Paleo Bread: Gluten-Free Bread Recipes for a Paleo Diet (Paperback)
Silly me, I fell into the trap of judging a book by its cover. I thought, just maybe, there was a way to make a "real" bread the paleo way, and the answer would be in the book. No such luck, and I should have known better. While the cover clearly shows a yeast risen artisan loaf, every recipe was a quick bread - no yeasted doughs. I shouldn't have been surprised - quick bread is pretty much all you can make with paleo ingredients like almond meal and coconut flour. (All recipes also use eggs). Note that this is a thin book. The first section is devoted to explaining the paleo diet; only about a third is devoted to recipes. I was disappointed. I didn't see anything I haven't found searching paleo sites for recipes.

2.0 out of 5 stars This is a very small book., February 20, 2013
I have gotten free kindle books with more recipes than this book. There are no pictures of the breads in this paperback book. Almost half of the book is the author explaining the paleo diet. I suggest you internet for paleo bread recipes and save your 8 dollars.

2.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy the Kindle version, January 24, 2013
Don't buy Kindle versions of cookbooks. You can't just go through the table of contents, find a recipe, and just turn to the page. I don't know what I was thinking when I bought it...I'll review it for real when I receive my hard copy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paleo diet brings bread back!, March 1, 2013
This amazing book brings the health benefits of the Paleo, or Cave Man, diet to the "average Joe." I have been blocked in my own attempts to lose weight, increase my vitality and prevent a host of potential ailments caused by a grain filled diet by one simple fact; sometimes I really feel like having a sandwich. John Chatham has provided me with a major breakthrough in his book "Paleo Bread: Gluten-Free Bread Recipes for a Paleo Diet," with his succinct overview the health benefits and his amazing recipes for fresh baked bread. The Q&A section is particularly powerful, it combats the notion that fat makes you fat, reveals that humans are the only mammals to drink milk after infancy and encourages everyone to eliminate alcohol (or at least stick to low sugar, wheat free spirits). The sacrifice of eliminating all grains seemed completely outside the realm of possibility for me until I saw the list of debilitating health problems that have been linked to high grain diets. The Paleo Diet is best known for weight loss but was actually developed to combat digestive disorders like Chrohns, heartburn, Colitis, and Irritable Bowl Syndrome. In addition to these direct effects, wheat free Paleo diets have been shown to prevent problems such as cardiac pulmonary disease, type 2 Diabetes, Lupus, Fibromyalgia, Multiple Sclerosis, arthritis and several forms of cancer. There are also unconfirmed links between gluten and disorders like Anxiety, Autism, Dementia, Migranes, mouth sores, Schizophrenia and many forms of Seizures. With this list of benefits it seems insane to not consider switching to the Cave Man diet, especially when the bread is so delicious. I have made the banana bread, the spiced nut bread, the sunflower bread, the apple cinnamon bread, the pizza dough and the dinner rolls. They are all delicious. The secret is replacing grains flours with flour from almonds and coconut. My absolute favorite is the banana bread, it is moist, tender, somewhat fluffy and perfect in the morning with eggs and a bowl of fruit. While I must admit I still have cravings for "real bread," after a week and a half of eating Paleo Bread I am really getting a hold of my cravings and starting to see significant results in my overall health. I can not recommend this book any more highly, it is transformational, simple and profound. Three thumbs up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Going Paleo? Rejoice, Bread is Back In!, January 18, 2013
John Chatham's Paleo diet and recipe book, Paleo Bread¸ is welcome news to those of us who have elected to "go Paleo" as part of our New Year's Resolutions. Chatham provides plenty of information in compact paragraphs, touching on the origins of the Paleo diet and the guidelines for following it. Basically eating foods that come from the earth and not some chemist's lab. Chatham doesn't just tell you to forget your favorites, he explains why they are eliminated in the Paleo diet.

The benefits! This is the best part, in my opinion. Chatham discusses, in capsulated detail, how the foods in the Paleo diet help prevent many ills such as Type 2 Diabetes, digestive problems, autoimmune disorders such as rheumatoid arthritis, heart health, and of course, promote weight loss!

But why does Paleo eliminate bread? Chatham goes into detail the harmful effects gluten has on the body. Thankfully, there is a way around cutting out all your favorite bread products, and Chatham's recipes show you how.

The recipes. By using alternate products that are discussed in detail you can still make and eat your bread, too. Here are some:

Banana Bread
Cherry Chocolate Chip Bread
Rosemary Bread
Pecan Cinnamon Rolls
Pizza Dough
Sandwich Bread(s)
Dinner Rolls

This book is easy to read, short paragraphs make the information quickly digestible. He lays out the information of eating the Paleo way and it doesn't take long to get excited about eating Paleo.

1.0 out of 5 stars Has anyone actually made these recipes?, May 6, 2013
I made the Herb Bread and like an idiot didn't think the recipe through first and just blindly followed the recipe. I've worked with coconut flour before and a little goes a long way because it sucks up moisture like no tomorrow. I usually make a banana muffin recipe with 2 bnananas, 6 eggs, 4 tbsp of fat and half a cup of milk with just 1/2 or 3/4 cup of coconut flour. A bread recipe will be drier, but the with 1 1/2 cup of coconut flour and just 6 eggs and 3 tbsp of fat for moisture, the recipe came out like saw dust. Tasted good, nice herb flavor, but everything fell apart and I now have a big pan of bread crumbs. Going to use it for breading on chicken & fish, but really pissed and disappointed. I'm going to keep the book just to get ideas, but going to have to redo the recipes either by using less flour or add more moisture. Crazy, I think the author is just using coconut flour as an exact substitute for regular wheat flour. Doesn't work that way.....

4.0 out of 5 stars Caution at High Altitude, February 2, 2013
I have only made two of the breads and both tasted great. The only issue is that I live at a higher altitude and never know how a recipe will do until after I make it once. I made the Country White bread first and it didn't rise at all. I made the banana bread next and adjusted the recipe by adding more flour and not beating the eggs as much. It turned out perfect. I plan to make the imitation rye bread for Reuben sandwiches after Saint Patty's day. YUM!

5.0 out of 5 stars Paleo Pizza? Sold., January 27, 2013
I got this book after purchasing John Chatham's other book on the Paleo Diet, "Paleo For Beginners". This book is a great follow up, expanding on the foundation that was set down in his other book. There's also heath and history information about the Paleo diet in this book, so either book would be a great place to start.
You would think, reading other Paleo diet books, that things like sandwiches are gone from your life forever. Fear not! This book has 28 recipes involving gluten free bread, and you can customize the dishes infinitely. Myself, I cannot live without pumpkin bread, and now with this book I have no excuse not to eat a healthier version of it (which tastes just as good!) and stick to my diet. It's really amazing how making just a few changes in your diet, and really having a say in what you eat can change your health.
If you love cinnamon rolls, biscuits, scones, and pizza (and who doesn't?!) and want to stick to or expand your paleo diet, this is the book for you. And yes, I did say pizza.

5.0 out of 5 stars informative and delicious, January 16, 2013
John Chatham's Paleo Bread: glutton-free recipes for a paleo diet is the book modern health-lovers have been waiting for. By now most of us have read a few good books on "going Paleo" or we have at least heard about it, or have seen those odd looking packages that now pop up in the side aisles of our grocery stores.

Chatham clarifies the principles of paleo in the first few chapters of this book. He outlines how it all came to be (a gastroenterologist trying to help his patients), and why it is so beneficial (aside from weight-loss it also helps prevents major illnesses and diseases including IBS and certain cancers.)

Sadly, most of us don't give it a second thought once we find out what it's all about. No bread? As in, no sandwiches? As in, no pizza? No hamburger? No dinner roll? No toast in the morning? No cinnamon role? Forget it.

But now, we don't have to forgo these delicious items! We can have our (gluten-free) cake and eat it too! Chatham puts together in one little book a variety of easy-to-follow recipes that satisfy the craving for about any type of bread you can imagine, savory or sweet.

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointed, April 22, 2013
I have baked two breads in this book, hoping to find a good sandwich bread. I followed directions exactly, even checked to make sure my baking soda was not expired after the first loaf didn't rise. I baked the "country white bread" and the "honey 'wheat' sandwich bread." Neither one rose at all. A slice wasn't even high enough to make a half sandwich size. I used a 4" by 8" loaf pan. A waste of money.

Paleo Bread: Gluten-Free Bread Recipes for a Paleo Diet
Paleo Bread: Gluten-Free Bread Recipes for a Paleo Diet by John Chatham (Paperback - January 2, 2013)
Used & New from: $23.37