Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Sun Care Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports

Showing 1-10 of 71 reviews(3 star). Show all reviews
Paleo diets are certainly nothing new under the sun as they've existed for tens of thousands of years. Modern-day advocates of Paleo/primal/traditional diets are simply trying to get people to hearken back to the nutrition and fitness principles of early man as a means for avoiding the modern epidemics of obesity and chronic preventible diseases that plague us. The influx of highly-processed garbage that has been passed off as "food" in the 21st Century has taken us further and further away from what Paleolithic man was really all about. Thankfully we have people who are championing what it means to be Paleo like Dr. Loren Cordain. His 2002 release The Paleo Diet put the Paleolithic diet front and center in the health debate and it has only gotten stronger from there.

His follow-up book The Paleo Diet Cookbook: More than 150 recipes for Paleo Breakfasts, Lunches, Dinners, Snacks, and Beverages is a response to this increased demand for titles with a Paleo bent as more and more people are looking to eat this way and want to try some delicious recipes for themselves. Dr. Cordain teamed up with his wife Lorrie and well as Paleo nutrition enthusiast and athlete Nell Stephenson to make these Paleo-friendly dishes available in book form. The book itself was written over the span of one month and unfortunately you can tell. While the recipes are not horrible and certainly fit within the mold of the Paleo basics (grain-free, dairy-free, and sugar-free), there are no photographs of the recipes at all. WHAT?! I realize this is likely a cost-saving measure used by the publisher, but a good cookbook will ALWAYS show you pictures to make you drool over which dish to make first.

There are MUCH better options for Paleo-friendly recipes if you want to find a cookbook that fits your Paleo lifestyle:

Paleo Comfort Foods: Homestyle Cooking for a Gluten-Free Kitchen

Make it Paleo: Over 200 Grain Free Recipes For Any Occasion

Everyday Paleo

The Primal Blueprint Cookbook: Primal, Low Carb, Paleo, Grain-Free, Dairy-Free and Gluten-Free (Primal Blueprint Series)

Primal Blueprint Quick and Easy Meals: Delicious, Primal-approved meals you can make in under 30 minutes (Primal Blueprint Series)

Don't let this less-than-spectacular Paleo Diet Cookbook turn you off from trying healthy Paleo living. It's an incredibly healthy way to eat that has helped improve the weight and health of millions of people. And the evidence supporting it continues to grow. Get on the Paleo bandwagon and experience the benefits for yourself!
44 comments| 88 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on February 5, 2011
So I've been eating paleo now for 2+ months, and found the intro chapters of this book to be pretty good. Unfortunately I'm not convinced though that the author actually tried out all the recipes in the book, or else his tolerance for spicy food is SIGNIFICANTLY higher than mine. Just to give you a reference point I regularly add Marie's Sharpe's habanero hotsauce to my meals (which aside from a little vinegar and salt is pretty paleo), and always ask for extra spicy when I go out for Indian, Thai etc.

So far the recipes that have failed me somewhat are:
Paleo Warrior Jerky: It calls for 2 tsps of cayenne and 1 tbsp of paprika per pound of meat. I'm not kidding when I say I had to move the dehydrator into the garage because my whole family started sneezing and coughing due to the amount of spice coming out of the dehydrator. I just made another batch today, and made it with 1 tsp of cayenne and 1 tsp of paprika, and that made if much better.

Cajun Blackened Turkey Cutlets: again 2 tsp of cayenne and 1 tsp of paprika was way to much for this dish.

Spicy Mixed Nutes: 1 tsp of cayenne was a lot of cayenne, and 15 minutes at 400deg completely ruined the nuts. I'm thinking 1/2 tsp of cayenne, and maybe 8 minutes.

Carb Lover's Cauliflower: Came out as a greeny pasty mess that tasted way to much of zucchini.

I agree that pictures would probably help. I have had success with a couple of the recipes, but we're at the point where my wife starts to worry when she sees me pull down this cookbook. Am I the only one running into problems with these recipes?

EDIT: I have upped this book a star after trying two new recipes. The Salmon Filet With Nectarine Infusion, and the Creamy Coconut Curry were both excellent. I've also had luck with the Tropical Deviled Eggs. Maybe just avoid any recipes with cayenne in them?
on July 9, 2011
This book has great info about the Paleo Diet. However, what's a good cookbook without at least a few pictures?
on June 22, 2011
I understand and agree mostly with the philosophy of the paleo diet and I have tried a few other books where the recipes allowed for cheaper cuts of meats (slow cook-save money). In theory this book has some interesting recipes but when I recreated them, I found them only adequate. I have tried about 5-6 recipes now and based on that, would not purchase this book. Thank you library system. Sorry but I'm sure there are better books out there.
on October 10, 2014
Recipes are delicious but impractical. I feel like the author was trying to prove that paleo meals can meet the highest of standards compared to the finest cooking, but what I really wanted was easy (or easier) to prepare meals using ingredients that I can find locally. A lot of the ingredients used are simply unavailable outside of a major metropolitan center. How about a book that uses ingredients that you can find in an average grocery store.
on October 29, 2013
First, I would like to say that I am NOT on the Paleo (or any other) diet. I simply do not eat any carbs other than whole-plant sources (and even then, no beans and very few root vegetables). The reason I got this book is because the "Paleo" lifestyle is a low-carb one. I also have several Atkins cook books.

About the book: A book called "The Paleo Diet COOKBOOK" would be expected to be a cookbook, right? Well, it is. As long as you have the patients to get 1/3 of the way through the book to where the recipes start. It would (or at least should) be assumed that if a person is looking for Paleo recipes, they are already familiar with the actual diet and don't need an 80-page summary. I understand 5-10 pages, but 80?

About the diet: The book claims that the only protein source we should be eating is "lean". Time and again this has been shown to be absolutely wrong and actually damaging. In the 80-page intro, the author makes a comment about prehistoric man not eating fat. Huh? Game is almost always more lean than feed-lot animals, but they still have fat stores, and those were absolutely eaten, along with bone marrow, eyes, feet, brains, etc. Just something to think about if you are thinking of "Going Paleo".

About the recipes: They are good. I like to get as many recipes as I can and experiment. I might not like a Paleo recipe, but it has a sauce that would go great with an Atkins recipe, and visa-versa. I have already made several recipes from the book and my family and I (along with occasional guests) enjoyed them.

To sum up, not a bad book, but don't expect to open to page 1 and start with recipes (which SHOULD be the case in a "Cookbook"). Be prepared for some preaching and some stuff that isn't as "scientifically backed" as some of the other stuff the Paleo diet says. In all, the recipes are worth the price, but I would probably have given the book 4 stars if the first 80 pages were not in it.
on February 4, 2014
Eat your protein, your meat protein, and here is how to fix a few meals. I recommend buying the theory book as well and not just follow recipes, but develop your own for your pocketbook and tastes. If you need to reduce gluten, this is the way to do it.However,the recipes are in a light orange print and very hard to read. Consequently, I don't use the book at all. It is a lovely design, but not functional. The orange type is very "cool" in publishing circles these days, but it is difficult to read in magazines as well. Also, there is a trend toward smaller fonts. Who wants to squint to make dinner? The other reason I don't use it is that the breakfast recipes are old hat, unimaginative and not worth one's time. It is useful for a beginner who knows nothing about cooking and has no cooking experience or creativity. The experienced cook will want to read the basics of the Paleo diet in another book and create from there.
on December 16, 2014
A cookbook without pictures is not very helpful to me. I like to see the end result, etc. the index is helpful but I like having the pictures of ingredients and the dishes like in the primal blueprint cookbook. I thought I'd get some ideas for new dishes but I might return the book.
on February 24, 2012
I picked this up on a whim, and because it was one of two titles available on the shelf.

I should have picked the other one.

Not that this bad, per se. It's not. It just very, very basic. Not just very basic paleo recipes but very basic cooking.

I'm a grandma who went grain free years ago. I love to cook and have cooked from scratch for years. I didn't find anything in here that I hadn't served recently. That said, they are good recipes, but like many other have said, I buy cookbooks for new ideas and there are none here.

Maybe I'll send it to me paleo-curious 30 year old son.
on November 2, 2013
This is a good cookbook outside of one thing, most meals come out very bland because of Dr, Cordrain's aversion to salt. I use sea salt in very limited amounts to spruce up a lot of the recipes and I don't think it does much harm when focusing on the diet itself.