5.0 out of 5 stars Paleo Pals is an incredible book for kids and families!
Published on February 7, 2012 by healthydad

3.0 out of 5 stars Paleo Parents Will Like This Book
In a nutshell, parents who enjoy the benefits of the paleo diet (also known as the caveman diet) that consists of eating organic meats and seafood, eggs, vegetables, fruit, and nuts while avoiding sugar, dairy, legumes, grains, and refined and processed foods, will like this book as a way to make the lifestyle appealing to their children.

The story centers...
Published on February 7, 2012 by Books and Chocolate

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Paleo Parents Will Like This Book, February 7, 2012
This review is from: Paleo Pals: Jimmy and the Carrot Rocket Ship (Paperback)

The story centers around Jimmy, who doesn't want to eat healthy food until he meets the Paleo Pals and embarks on an adventure in their carrot rocket ship, during which he learns why some ingredients in processed foods are bad for him (high fructose corn syrup, partially hydrogenated oils, etc.) and why organically grown fresh, whole foods like vegetables and fruit are good.

Readers need to be aware that it is promoting a specific diet and one thing I didn't care for (even though I do agree with the benefits of the paleo way of eating) is that the book presents people who don't adopt this lifestyle in such a negative way. The food processing plant is presented as evil as it spews a black cloud of pollution into the air. The Paleo Pals take Jimmy to a playground where kids who don't eat "paleo" are depicted as lethargic, sick, sad, unable to do well at anything, and are even aggressive and angry while those who do eat "paleo" are kind, energetic, successful, and happy as if eating paleo is the only factor that makes a child nice or not; successful or not.

While it does make a point about the effects processed foods and chemicals they contain can have on children, it seemed preachy, especially for a children's book since children tend to take things literally when presented with that kind of information. My concern is that kids reading the story might be led to think that how one eats is a moral thing - that those who eat "paleo" are "good" people and those who don't are "bad".

On the plus side, the book does promote a healthy lifestyle of eating fresh, whole, unprocessed foods and that's something every child can benefit from, but it is definitely written for families who are already embracing the paleo lifestyle and want to convince their children that it is better, and likely won't have much appeal to anyone else. There are also some paleo-friendly recipes included that would be healthy for anyone.

I received a copy of this book for review from the publisher but the opinion of it is my own and was not solicited, nor was a positive review required.

5.0 out of 5 stars Paleo Pals is an incredible book for kids and families!, February 7, 2012
This review is from: Paleo Pals: Jimmy and the Carrot Rocket Ship (Paperback)
Paleo Pals is such a wonderful book that highlights why eating healthy and living a paleo lifestyle is beneficial. The book is about a young boy named jimmy who is not sure that eating healthy is cool or important and involves 3 super hero's, the Paleo Pals who come in and teach Jimmy about the benefits of the Paleo lifestyle. My kids read the book at ages 4 and 9 and loved it; they were excited about the characters (I mean what kid doesn't like a super hero or carrot rocket ship?) and learned about how essential it is to eat good food. They wanted to go to the farmers market immediately to help pick out food to eat! I was impressed with how easy it was for both of my kids to follow the story and understand what was going on. I highly recommend this book! It's colorful, educational and just a wonderful story!

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book for kids to learn healthy eating, February 7, 2012
This review is from: Paleo Pals: Jimmy and the Carrot Rocket Ship (Paperback)
My kids enjoyed this book and it helped them understand why we choose to eat the way that we do. While we don't usually call the way we eat "Paleo" we do focus on meats, lots of veggies and fruits, and healthy fats, so the message was similar. They asked me if a "Paleo" diet was a "Healthy" diet and it gave me a chance to explain healthy eating choices in a way that they understood at their age. While I've always been very open with them about what foods are healthy and which ones aren't, they seemed even more enthusiastic about healthy eating now that the message had come from superheros. They've been careful to ask me if foods are healthy or not, and have enjoyed helping prepare foods. There are some great kid-friendly recipes in the back of the book, along with instructions for how to include the kids in food prep. If you have switched to a healthier, Paleo type way of eating and your kids are struggling with it, this book will help them understand why food choices are important.

3.0 out of 5 stars Cute, but wordy and hard to hold, October 13, 2012
This review is from: Paleo Pals: Jimmy and the Carrot Rocket Ship (Paperback)
I bought this book for my family, being that we are gluten free and paleo is an interesting next step in my mind for us. I love the concept of the book. I find it too long and wordy though but perhaps better for kids older than my 6 yr old (3 yr old obviously a bit young for it for sure). We read books in bed and this one is heavy to hold up and awkward in it's landscape layout. Maybe if the story were told simpler, we would read it again, but I inwardly grown if they go to pull it out. - they lose interest now after a few pages of me going on and on. Great information for adults and older children I think. I hate to even put a review that isn't wonderful up since I want to be supportive of this topic and author. But it is what it is. A GREAT resource for people on a Paleo diet or those considering it. Makes it seem simple to go down that road, and I appreciate that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Get the kids on board!, February 9, 2012
This review is from: Paleo Pals: Jimmy and the Carrot Rocket Ship (Paperback)
With her first book Everyday Paleo, Sarah Fragoso showed how beneficial it can be to transition your family from the standard American diet to the paleo way of life. With Paleo Pals, she's created a fun set of characters to help your kids really get on board with this new way of eating (and life). The story is fun enough to keep wee ones engaged and the bright illustrations make it accessible to little ones who aren't ready to read words for themselves yet. It's got a beautiful family vibe and excitement -- kids won't even realize they're learning. The story is bolstered by a few easy- and fun-to-make recipes to encourage kids to join you in the kitchen. Plus, who doesn't love a new set of superheroes?!

5.0 out of 5 stars First and best Paleo kids book out there, February 7, 2012
This review is from: Paleo Pals: Jimmy and the Carrot Rocket Ship (Paperback)
I have been struggling with finding ways to explain to my children why I follow a paleo lifestyle. Having a 10 year-old read Robb Wolf's "Paleo Solution" doesn't work, so I was thrilled to see this book come out. It very clearly explains to children why they should follow a healthy eating lifestyle and explains the differences between natural and processed foods. The recipe section is kid-focused so they get excited about making things like pancakes, pizza bites, and cookies all with healthy ingredients. I love this book and am ecstatic that I can finally convey my eating habits to my kids.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Paleo Pals help kids become superheroes and parents feel like superheroes instead of "The Queen and King of no", August 18, 2012
This review is from: Paleo Pals: Jimmy and the Carrot Rocket Ship (Paperback)
Thanks to this book, my kids now have a better understanding of where food comes from and why I am always saying "no" when it comes to their requests for the SAD junk food targeted at children. After reading this book, my kids were playing "Paleo Pals" and pretending to fly their carrot rocket ship. Everydaypaleo.com has always been a staple in my recipe database, but it's so nice to have some kid-friendly recipes in a printed version, too.
[...]

4.0 out of 5 stars Good for children of Paleo parents, February 14, 2012
This review is from: Paleo Pals: Jimmy and the Carrot Rocket Ship (Paperback)
"Paleo Pals: Jimmy and the Carrot Rocket Ship" compares real food to the processed food that has become the norm of today. It explains that all food influences our behavior and health. The real food helps us to be more "super" at everything we do.

As a Paleo Mom, I'm always looking for a way to "sell" healthy ways to my two kids. It's coming from this background, that we bought this book for our 3 and 6 year old. The three superheroes, the carrot rocket ship and comic book feel appeal to my my kids.

The book frames real food choices as normal and fun, not depriving. We plan to share the book with our son's grandparents and school class.

The book does not offer explanation as to what "Paleo" is. This is an opportunity to A) discuss where the name "Paleo" comes from or B) simply refer to the foods as "real" foods, and get into why they are called "Paleo Pals" at a later time.

The clear association is made between non-Paleo foods and overt illness and behavioral problems. While our family doesn't experience dramatic malices, the book opened the door to discussing how processed foods have effected us. We as parents, are choosing the most healthy and "super" lives for ourselves. "Paleo Pals is helping to get our kids on board the carrot rocket shop, too!

5.0 out of 5 stars My Paleo kid could identify with these superheros, February 13, 2012
This review is from: Paleo Pals: Jimmy and the Carrot Rocket Ship (Paperback)
It's a well done kids book that just so happened to be about something other than pizzas and ice cream and it's the only kids book about eating the way humans were designed to eat.

Deep down every kid wants to be healthy and strong and make good decisions but a lot of times they just don't have the right influences or don't have the right tools. That's where good books come in.

This book is fun, colorful, inspiring, and informative.

My daughter who is six absolutely loved it. She felt inspired and comforted. I wrote a more in depth review of the book here.[...]

Anyone is has been searching for some way to give their kids a better start with diet, this book is for you. The author doesn't leave anything out!

5.0 out of 5 stars paleo pals, February 11, 2012
This review is from: Paleo Pals: Jimmy and the Carrot Rocket Ship (Paperback)
She's done it again! Great book! This is so inspirering to not only children but adults too. It is a good book to relate to. My Granddaughter loves it and so do I. It is a book that children can understand why eating healthy is so important to each and everyone of us. Great Job! You have not only reached adults about healthy eating, but also the children. That is so amazing to do. You never seize to amaze us. Keep on writing!

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Paleo Pals: Jimmy and the Carrot Rocket Ship
Paleo Pals: Jimmy and the Carrot Rocket Ship by Sarah Fragoso (Paperback - February 14, 2012)
$19.95 $15.30