4.0 out of 5 stars The Best of All Worlds
Published 17 months ago by MiaG

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I consider Paleo OR good slow-cooker recipes
Published 14 months ago by Amazon Customer

1.0 out of 5 stars Not what I consider Paleo OR good slow-cooker recipes, September 6, 2013
Amazon Customer (Seabrook, TX United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Paleo Slow Cooker: 75 Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Gluten-Free Paleo Slow Cooker Recipes for a Paleo Diet (Paperback)
As far as I am concerned, the purpose for using a slow cooker in the first place is to make cooking easier and more convenient. A good slow cooker recipe should be mostly a list of ingredients and how long to cook them on low or on high. Maybe a few simple preparation steps like chopping and opening cans or jars. NOT every single recipe starting with "in a large, heavy skillet" or "line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil" and especially not BOTH of those things for one recipe. In my opinion, the directions for a GOOD slow cooker consist of throwing the ingredients in the crock and turning on the heat. A really GREAT slow cooker recipe requires cooking for at least 8 hours, the idea being that you can start the dish before you leave home to go to work, and have a fresh, hot meal ready for you when you get home. What exactly is the point of a "slow cooked" Baba Ghanoush recipe that takes 2 hours in the crock pot?!

Additionally, in my opinion, PALEO recipes do not include things like "Paleo-friendly" bread, crackers, or croutons!!! I mean, REALLY?! In the entire book, there are maybe 3 recipes I will actually make, including the stuffed cabbage rolls and perhaps the chocolate cake. Meanwhile, I continue my search for a useful collection of Paleo recipes for my crock pot.

3.0 out of 5 stars Just ok, June 7, 2013
I've tried a lot of the recipes and their just ok. Most recipes want you to cook things before you put them in the slow cooker. . . That's not what I consider slow cooker recipes. . .i have found other Paleo books more informative and helpful.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Best of All Worlds, June 10, 2013
This cookbook was the answer to my prayers as of lately. In my most recent health kick I bulldozed my way into the world of paleo diets and cross-fit, all on top of a full-time job and a family. Sure, I saw results, but just as quickly as I lost weight, I saw how much time I was losing prepping all of my meals. The paleo diet is not for the low-maintenance dieter...or so I thought until this cookbook. Of course my slow cooker was the answer! The cookbook not only provides simple and clear instruction and time-saving techniques, but it also helped me save a good deal of money on my ingredients and over-all meals. The recipes themselves are also well written, easy to follow, and most importantly: delicious! It even includes several venison recipes, which are hard to find in most cookbooks. The last section of the cookbook gives a great explanation of what paleo and gluten-free dieting really is, and what it can do for you! This cookbook is perfect for paleo newbies as well as seasoned gluten-free aficionados looking to save some time and money.

5.0 out of 5 stars Healthful eating is NOT weighing me down!, May 9, 2013
People can go to the store and pick out a dinner at the deli, but when it comes to putting together a recipe, people freeze. The same frozen feeling comes about when looking for a cookbook; do you want simple, a diet book, or something to make you a professional chef? The Paleo and Gluten-Free Slow Cooker by John Chatham provides non-stressful recipes that are not only healthy, but also easy to prepare! This cookbook is intriguing because it is a combination of the paleo, modern nutritional approach, and a gluten free diet - an allergy difficult to become accustom to.

Most riveting about this cookbook is that there are small descriptions before each recipe that explains what each recipe is similar to, or, when it would be good to make. The first recipe is hazelnut breakfast bread that is a "lighter version of steamed brown bread." When cooking with a recipe you have never tried before it is great to know what the outcome should be like! This cookbook provides recipes with simple ingredients, large portion outcomes, and there is no stress because the directions are easy to follow. Not to mention there are a variety of recipes, from breakfast breads to dinner soups! Anyone cooking for fun, for their family, or just trying to learn would love this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars A "Total Package" Cook Book, March 18, 2013
This book lives up to its subtitle. It is a recipe
collection appropriate for seasoned and beginning cooks,
housewives and bachelors, and newcomers to the Paleo and Gluten-
free diets and to using the slow cooker.

As with any self-respecting cookbook, Paleo Slow Cooker has
well-written instructions, an attractive format, refrigeration
tips, and suggestions for the ideal occasion for each meal.

The author's menu is cosmopolitan. Here you will find
American meals, including a Southern specialty, but also cuisine
from at least one dozen countries, like Mexico, Cuba, Portugal,
the Mediterranean. The list goes on.

Paleo Slow Cooker is flexible in its approach to the Paleo,
also known as the Stone Age, diet. For occasions when Paleo diet
adherents feel ornery or rebellious, Chatham offers recipes that
bend the rules of this nutritional regimen without abandoning
its spirit.

The first six chapters of the book include recipes for
breakfasts, snacks and appetizers; soups, stews, and stocks;
meat and vegetarian entrees; and breads and desserts. The second
half of the book briefly introduces newbies to what the Paleo
and gluten-free diets and its health benefits, and a list of
references for further reading.

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Recipes!, April 15, 2013
Wow! When my husband told me he wanted to go Gluten free, I was very skeptical. After doing some research, I came across "Paleo Slow Cooker" and this book is amazing! I love bread and the Paleo diet allows me to keep my dearly beloved sweet treats! Steamed Hazelnut Breakfast Bread, Banana Bread, Coconut Bread, Pumpkin Bread, Zucchini Bread! All of these are made without Gluten and they taste amazing! Oh, and if you like cake...they have those too! But what's more is the variety of the main dishes.

I was very surprised when I saw the recipes for Mediterranean Beef Stew, Creamy Curried-Chicken Soup, Portuguese-Style Venison Stew, and Buffalo Drumettes with Paleo Ranch Dressing (I'll never buy Ranch again!). The best part of this book is it utilizes the workhorse in my kitchen, my slow-cooker. With two kids and a man to feed, I need to be able to make something substantial that will fill their bellies and be healthy. We've wanted to eat healthier and get rid of the bloat and irritability that comes from wheat and processed foods. The recipes from "Paleo Slow Cooker" fit perfectly into my family's lifestyle. This has definitely changed the way we eat in my household, and so much for the better!!

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth purchasing and confusing for beginners, November 16, 2013
The recipes in this book are just average. There are only three recipes out of the 75 that I might actually try. This book would be confusing for someone new to Paleo eating (which I've been doing for over 8 years now). He says things like "lamb is usually excluded from Paleo kitchens" and "many Paleo followers try to abstain from poultry legs and wings the majority of the time", both statements are false! He also constantly recommends "Paleo-friendly breads and crackers", which if eaten at all on the Paleo diet should only be an occasional treat, not something you eat with every meal. If you are interested in this book see if you can get it from your public library, and while you are there check out the other Paleo books that are available. This one is not worth purchasing.

3.0 out of 5 stars Crockaeology., April 26, 2014
John Chatham, Paleo Slow Cooker: 75 Easy, Healthy, and Delicious Gluten-Free Paleo Slow-Cooker Recipes for a Paleo Diet (Rockridge University Press, 2013)

I've seen a huge number of criticisms of this little tome in reviews, mostly from people who can only imagine a slow cooker a receptacle for raw, unprepared ingredients that get cooked while you are at work (none of whom, also, seem to have a “keep warm” setting on their slow cookers if they get caught in a traffic jam on the way home). If you start reading reviews of this book at random, you will quickly enough discern them. The best thing you can do once you have is ignore them; these are the kind of people, I think, who would complain if you decided to use your grill for something other than burgers and dogs. (Or if you put them on something other than white buns.) This is not to say there are not valid criticisms of the book, but “because it posits the ability to cook differently with a slow cooker” is a strength, not a weakness. You have a problem with the author recommending serving “paleo-friendly” breads or crackers with things? Don't do it. They're not part of the recipe, they're serving suggestions.

First, the good stuff: Chatham goes soup to nuts here. The expected entrees are backed up with a hefty dose of soups, dips, and sides, even a handful of desserts. (I understand this triple-mini-slow-cooker thing is becoming A Thing, and I saw a bunch of recipes in here that would work perfectly for that sort of entertaining/potluck offering.) There are very few recipes in here I am not salivating to try; I've already done a few of the soups and been quite happy with them.

The not-so-good: things tend to get a touch repetitive. Which I might not have even noticed were it not for the wide variety of applications on display here. But then, on the up side, when you do major grocery shopping, you actually don't have all that much to buy. (You just have to buy a whole helluva lot of it.) And if you are one of the unfortunate souls who don't have a keep warm setting on your slow cooker, a number of these recipes run less than eight hours in duration, so to use them you'll have to go lay out the twenty bucks for a newer model. Considering the time savings and utility, I think it's a pretty good investment.

This is especially good for those who are generally cooking-phobic; since there is some prep work to be done on the stove with a lot of these recipes but the slow cooker handles the heavy lifting, it will give the novice a small introduction to the stove, while stopping short of getting into the complex stuff. For the cream of mushroom soup, for example, you saute the onions and mushrooms before dumping them into the slow cooker, which puts the cook at the stove for 5-10 minutes tops and only requires the absolute basics, so a fine way to introduce, say, teenagers who've never cooked before to the art—especially if they're fond of cream soups that are instead made with lowfat coconut milk instead of actual cream.

I'd have liked to see a little more thinking outside the box (or, as it were, inside the produce box—Chatham sticks to the usual vegetable suspects rather than embracing the wider world of “stuff American don't generally eat”), but as a basic starting point, I found it worthwhile. ***

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth your money...your body and time will thank you!, May 13, 2013
Oh, let me count the reasons why Paleo Slow Cooker is the way to go when preparing meals for you or your family! First, everyone can relate to the busy rushed schedule of kids, work, school, dinner, house work...it is too much for most people to juggle. With a Paleo Slow Cooker Recipe Book whole food nutrition is packed into a savory, tender, healthy dish that is being cooked while you are busy doing other important tasks of the day. The method of slow cooking is beneficial to your health because, unlike other cooking methods, slow cooking locks in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants into your food. This slow cooking cookbook includes breakfast, soups, breads, snacks, appetizers, vegetarian dishes, and even desserts. Such recipes as Hazelnut Bread, pumpkin and apple butter, stuffed portabellas, southern style sausage and collards, and apple-cranberry cobbler are all included in this time-saving, nutritious, and delicious cook book. Paleo Slow Cooker is just the right cookbook for your budget, health, and time-management!

5.0 out of 5 stars Paleo Perfection, March 19, 2013
This cookbook has a ton of great recipes to choose from. I love having it on my Kindle for Mac over a book version, because it is so easy to navigate on the table of contents and the pages aren't folding closed on me while I'm using it. One thing I like about this Paleo cookbook is that it has an extensive vegetarian section. Many Paleo diets focus so much on meats they neglect vegetarian meals. My husband doesn't like to eat much meat, so having several vegetarian options available in this cookbook is a great thing for my family.

Another great thing about this cookbook is it offers many different types of foods to choose from all in crock-pot form - breads, desserts (my favorite!), main dishes, and soups! Recently, our cousin that comes for dinner quite often has decided to stay away from dairy and gluten. I'm so glad I now have a go-to cookbook for meals when she comes for a visit.