Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro

Format: Hardcover|Change

on June 17, 2011
My spouse's exact words after getting the invoice as we share an account; he would have never known but I got this via kindle. I've only just made the spicy pineapple, but it was seriously mind blowing. Our friend has made us some paletas from this book and they were equally as delicious and unique. The BEST $11 dollars I have spent in a while. You should get this book NOW. You won't regret it.
77 comments| 115 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on December 23, 2011
I like this cookbook very much. It outlines the basic sugar syrup that is necessary to keep popsicles soft enough to bite, and the flavor combinations make for an explosion in the mouth. Since I enjoy frozen treats year round, the book is at easy access in the kitchen.

One major complaint though: In it, the author refers to a an ingredient that is a recipe in another of her cookbooks. Okay, I understand that perhaps it would have taken up too much space to reprint the original recipe and the fact that there are probably copyright issues involved, but I do think it's a bum steer to have to buy two cooks in order to complete one recipe. It is easy enough to find another recipe on the internet to complete the pop, but that shouldn't have had to happen.

Otherwise, this book would have received a higher rating from me.
1414 comments| 97 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on June 30, 2011
Have you ever found a recipe so delicious that you licked the spatula, and once finished were even tempted to lick the blade of your food processor? That's my experience with Fany Gerson's Paletas.

I swooned when I first saw the cover. Sweet, icy, Mexican desserts? I'm sold! Aesthetically, the book is beautiful, but it's the quality of the book's recipes that really makes it stand out!

I first made Paletas de Aguacate (avocado ice pops) and found the blended result so delectable that I spent about five minutes scraping every drop from the bowl. I followed the recipe and found it incredibly easy to prepare. They take about five hours to freeze and the recipe makes six paletas when using standard size popsicle molds. Be very careful not to taste too much of the mixture, as too much tasting can result in too little mix for your molds! They taste amazing and are a wonderful mix of sweet and salty, while simultaneously being healthy. The other recipes are just as great.

Fany's explanations of each recipe are wonderfully detailed. I appreciate that she references her other recipes and suggests ways that you can really make each recipe your own. Her advice is constant, and I especially found useful her tip on how to give a yogurt-berry paleta a marbled texture.

If you don't have popsicle molds, I would highly recommend that you buy a set when you buy this book (or better yet, before!), because the recipes are irresistible and you will want to make them as soon as possible!
on June 8, 2011
I certainly never thought I'd go gaga over a book about Popsicles, but all I can say is WOW. This book is beautiful and well-written, easy to use, interesting flavors (like spicy pineapple! or roasted banana or rice pudding!). Some pops are cream (or greek yogurt) based, others are fruit based. I heard someone mention how great an avocado pop was, and I couldn't conceive of it, now I have a recipe.

It's not just popsicles though, it's also "aguas frescas" and shaved ice. Some aguas frescas are rice based! Gotta try it!

The photography is amazing, the story is endearing, the instructions are simple, the ingredients are common. You can make these for your kids or your kids can help, and I really think popsicles are the new macaron, and have been since last summer...(2010)... So you can even impress your adult friends with what you turn out.

This is one monothematic book worth having.

This book is for anyone who wants to make an unexpected and pleasant treat for themselves or guests.

No special equipment necessary, but I've been told by many that this little machine is wonderful Zoku Quick Pop Maker and now that I have this book I have
on June 23, 2011
Progressive International PLP-1 Freezer Pop Maker

I bought this book because I enjoyed a watermelon-basil paleta at a chili cook-off in Dallas, Texas. Now summer is here and I want to make my own.

Though I own an extensive cookbook library... I had nothing devoted to popsicles/paletas. If you like to cook, and if you like to cook with the kids in the kitchen... this is a "must have".

I have made the watermelon popsicles and they are delicious and refreshing. (See the photo).

The recipes in the book are easy to follow and include lots of photos. There are ice pops, shaved ices (raspados), and drinks (aguas frescas). Perfect for summertime entertaining! These recipes are inexpensive to make, do not take long to prepare, and will delight your family and friends.

I recently made the Spicy Pineapple Ice Pops (see the accompanying photo). Incredible! The Paletas de Cajeta (caramel ice pops) sound absolutely sinful! Ooooo... and how about a Mangonadas (spicy mango ice)?

Buy this book! Better yet... buy two and give one as a hostess gift when invited to a picnic this summer!
review image review image
on June 25, 2011
...for the most part. I recently received this book and was pleased, as it has many pictures of the paletas. Prior to the list of ingredients the author writes a short paragraph about the recipe. It's just a very pleasing book to look at and so far, the recipes have been very simple to follow and very yummy to taste.
on July 4, 2013
This book gives me some ideas. I don't follow the recipes because the whole point of me making my own frozen pops is to have a healthy option. All recipes call for sugar. I specifically don't want added sugar. I use fresh fruit, blended or juiced, without sweeteners at all. If a sweetener is needed I use stevia. The book serves it's purpose for me.
on September 1, 2015
Delicious recipes for inspiration & pretty pictures with vintage ambiance but note to all: your pops will AlWAyS taste handmade because a standard freezer cant get the pops to freeze quick enought without large ice crystals forming. many of these recipes taste icier to me too bc of the amount of sugar in the recipes. Commercial people use special equipment to get that smooth consistency (and usually glycerin or corn syrup rather than white sugar or agave). Keeps the local vendor selling $3 pops at our park happy though!
on February 10, 2014
Yummy recipes and an interesting history in the introduction.
I got this book because I had gastric sleeve surgery and the major way for me to take in enough liquids to stay hydrated is with frozen pops. But after a year of the bought sugar free kind I am soooooo bored with fake grape, orange and berry. My tangerine tree was loaded this year and we had to juice them all at once to avoid a freeze. So I bought this book and 1 Progressive International PLP-1 Freezer Pop Maker to use the juice up. I love Hibiscus flowers steeped with honey so use one of the hybiscus cooler recipes in the book as a guide and just made something I think will be incredible.

1 1/3 cup filtered water
6 hibiscus flowers
1 cup fresh squeezed tangerine juice
1 cup 100% grape juice
1/2 cup sugar

In a 2 cup measuring cup add the water, flowers and sugar and set for 3 min.
After cooking let steep on the counter for 20-30 min, stir occasionally.
In a pitcher add the tangerine juice and grape juice.
When time is up, strain the hibiscus tea into the pitcher and stir.
Get your pop maker set up, I place mine in a empty sink to fill.
Using a funnel pour the liquid to 1/4 inch below top, it takes a slow pour to get it right.
Start pouring the furthest away from you to closest.
Once filled put lid on and put on the top shelf of freezer with no sticks yet.
Put time on for 1 hour and then insert the sticks. They wont float this way and stay straight.

Wait 3-5 hours and then enjoy!
on April 24, 2016
I agree I was very disappointed in this book. Only one third of it is paleta recipes. Not one of these recipes was unique. Very sorry I bought this. I too, was caught up in the glowing reviews. Not worth the money in my opinion.