5.0 out of 5 stars Best Pizzelle Iron

Published on January 24, 2012 by desant89

5.0 out of 5 stars Best Pizzelle Iron, February 15, 2009
J. Hannan (State College, PA, USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Palmer Pizzelle Maker - Made in USA
The Palmer Pizzelle Iron is the real deal. Made in the USA, it's design probably hasn't changed in the 50+ years they have been made. No need to change. It's simple, it works. Makes perfect pizzelle. Backed by a 10 year guarantee. Why would you buy any other one? This one may cost a little more, but considering the time we'll spend making and enjoying them, it's insignificant.

The unit is built solid out of cast aluminum. Looks like it could withstand anything. Once warmed up and seasoned (with the first pizzelle), this iron cranks them out, absolutely no sticking. No need for the teflon. Clean up is a breeze - just wipe it clean after it cools down.

And to answer another reviewer's question, this iron makes two 5" pizzelle.

5.0 out of 5 stars Look no further for the perfect pizzelle iron!, December 16, 2007
Les (Missouri) - See all my reviews
Plug in your iron, put on your apron & some italian music, mix up your batter (with some anise oil) and get ready to experience an Italian Christmas. This iron is just like the one your (or your friend's) Italian grandmother has been using since the 50's. It works year after year, and you do not need the teflon coating - this is the one to buy. My friend has both the original (like this one) and the teflon coated one. She makes hundreds of pizzelles every Christmas. She much prefers this one.

This year I mixed up a gluten free version of the pizzelle batter and it worked perfectly. I'm sold on this iron. I believe it will last forever!

BTW - the irons from the early 50's had a typed note in them with 10 lines of instructions. The first line was to read all the instructions. The second was to not loan this iron to anyone!

5.0 out of 5 stars Warm up thoroughly, January 31, 2010
S. Gallo (Beaumont, CA USA) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Palmer Pizzelle Maker - Made in USA
The Palmer Pizzelle Maker works great. When we got it, we unpacked it, scanned the directions, and began making pizzelles. They came out delicious. Just one warning!!! Make sure to thoroughly warm up the iron. On our second attempt to make pizelles for my in-laws, my wife and I, apparently, did not allow the right amount of warm up time. We put the batter in, closed the lid, and when we opened it... YIKES, we had a pizzelle mess, two different halfs of the pizzelle stuck to the top and bottom irons. It was a pain to get it cleaned. But after cleaning and re-heating, the iron worked wonders again.
So remember to warm up the iron to the allotted time and you should get very tastey pizzelles, just like great grandma used to make (which is why I bought this one...she used the stove top one though).
Enjoy

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best.... if not the best, August 26, 2010
This review is from: Palmer Pizzelle Maker - Made in USA
I have a C Palmer Pizzelle Model 1000T made in 1981... works as well today as it did the day I got it.
The Pizzelles with this iron are not as thin as with my VillaWare(I like thin and crispy), but the
Palmer makes nicer looking sturdier pizzelles that don't break so easy... The shape of the iron
was well thought out, because any overspills can easily be wiped while cooking and the cookies look
great.

Also even though my Palmer is 30 years old and I accidently had a problem and needed a replacement part,
I called C Palmer Mfg in PA and they sent me new parts for a very reasonable price....
and the people I spoke to at the company were more than glad to help. Try doing that with a chinese made
product.... you would most likely have to buy a whole new iron.

I can't say enough good things about this product or this company.

1.0 out of 5 stars Beware buying from this manufacturer, January 24, 2012
This review is from: Palmer Pizzelle Maker - Made in USA
I purchased this item a week ago, and anxiously awaited delivery. Once it came, I immediately opened it, and made a batch using my favorite recipe. After about 6 Pizzelles, I knew this iron was not for me as it makes them way thicker than any other iron I have ever used. They are actually more like thin cakes which is not what I'm accustom to. I have since contacted Amazon regarding a return, and my message passed on to the company that actually shipped it. At that point I was told that they do not accept used products back (3 minutes worth), and if I do wish to return it, I have to pay a 25% restocking fee! Yes, 25% not the standard 10%. I never bash companies at all, but being one of the more expensive irons out there, I would expect more from a US based company! I will now contact Amazon regarding this since I do not see anything about that return policy on the site or would never of have ordered from them!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderfrul Pizzelles, December 2, 2010
Claudia E. Thomas (COLUMBUS, OHIO, US) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Palmer Pizzelle Maker - Made in USA
This product was delivered within 3 days (with regular shipping) and we used it immediately and the pizzelles are fabulous. The main thing is to read the directions and be sure to let it heat for 15 minutes prior to beginning. It made each batch very quickly - about 45 seconds - and they are thin, crispy, and fabulous!! Also made in the USA!! Yeah!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent High Quality Pizzelle Iron, October 2, 2012
This review is from: Palmer Pizzelle Maker - Made in USA
Coming from an Italian family pizzelles are an important part of family holidays and get-togethers. After having to replace many other pizzelle irons due to inferior quality of materials and poor cooking performance we decided to try this one. It's made here in the USA, an added plus.

The cooking plates are a nice heavy cast aluminum, and are wrap around to make up the sides of the iron, maybe helping keep the iron heated by thermal mass, and making the unit sturdy. They are heated to a perfect temperature to ensure crisp, tender pizzelles. I let the iron heat up, spritz lightly with non-stick spray like Pam and bake pizzelles for hours without needing to respray. This iron keeps up, does not cool between cookies even when open, and most important the pizzelles come out cleanly, never sticking. At first I thought the deep grooves would cause the pizzelles to come out too thick, soft or soggy, but they are thin and crisp even before they are fully cooled, amazing! Much better than any Teflon coated pizzelle iron I've ever used.

The relatively high cooking temperature gets the pizzelles cooked quickly as well making them crisp. It only takes from 20-30 seconds to cook each pair of pizzelles depending on how golden you want the cookies to be. If you have a clock with a second hand you can time your batch of pizzelles and they will turn out a uniform color through out your batch.

The handles are strong and beefy and long enough that you can grip the iron closed by hand without needing to use the included clip at the end (important if you spend hours cooking pizzelles so your fingers don't tire using the clip) The long handles keep you from getting burned by the steam. Other irons I've used have wimpy and/or short handles, what a difference!

The cord where it exits the iron is wrapped with thick flexible wire to protect it from heat. Since the cooking plates get hot on this unit that's a thoughtful and important feature.

The outside cover (upper and lower) of this iron is a patterned metal, more utilitarian than pretty but who needs a pretty iron when what it needs is to get the job done. It wipes clean easily, the batter does not stick to the upper or lower covers or to the cooking plates. The cooking plates are not removable for cleaning, but since all you need to do is wipe it clean this is not a big deal.

I wish I had found this Palmer pizzelle iron many years ago, it would have saved me lots of money buying all those crappy made-in-China irons!

5.0 out of 5 stars Palmer 1000 - The Best.., January 10, 2013
This review is from: Palmer Pizzelle Maker - Made in USA
After our old Magic Maid iron went south I read just about every review on Amazon concerning available pizzelle irons. Overall I was unimpressed with the products falling in the $50.00 range because of various complaints of breaking clips, sticking batter, chipping Teflon/Non-stick coatings, etc. The reviews on the Palmer Mfg. 1000 (Polished Aluminum plate model - not the Non-Stick alternative) were compelling - Even the few negative reviews revealed hidden advantages - One user complained that it must have been made from ancient design and tooling to which I say: "What's wrong with that? The basic design of the wheel hasn't changed in milleniums and it still works fine.." ( I guess that's the geezer factor coming out - I'm made from ancient tooling and design and I'm still functioning fine (for the most part)).
When I received my Palmer iron I tried it out after reading the simple instructions and it worked perfectly - That's not to say I didn't over-brown a couple until I got the cooking time down which for my unit is about 25 to 30 seconds per set. The cookies did not stick and came out easily thus laying that fear to rest. Cookies were about 1/4" thick at the thickest point but very light and crisp..The recipe I use is my late Grandmother's and uses butter exclusively - I don't think Grandma Valery ever had margarine in her home and vegetable shortening was rarely used and never in her pizzelles. I think this factor sets the cookies apart from the softer, cakey pizelles that you usually find in the grocery at Christmas time.

Clean up was very easy, a damp cloth and a careful wipe cleaned the little residue off the cooking plates and the outer surfaces. One design feature that particularly impressed me is that the cooking plates are dish shaped and the electrical components sit within and are closed with a cover plate - This prevents melted shortening, stray batter, etc. from getting into the interior of the unit which was always a pain with our old iron - my lovely wife is a cleaning fanatic due to her job as QA manager of a pharmaceutical packaging facility and this always drove her around the bend.

Palmer Mfg. offers a long warranty on their irons which is assuring and finally the iron is made in the USA which seems to be a rarity. At less than twice the price of the other reviewed units and (In my opinion) ten times evident quality of construction and performance I think the Palmer 1000 is an unbeatable deal and recommend it without reservation.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great Product, January 17, 2011
This review is from: Palmer Pizzelle Maker - Made in USA
My mother has been making Pizzelles for years and has gone through numerous makers. This is by far the best one we have ever used. The pizzelles are much crispier. Clean up is a breeze. I love this iron and plan on buying two more for my daughters. Also love the idea that it is made in the USA.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Pizzelle Iron!!!!, January 16, 2011
This review is from: Palmer Pizzelle Maker - Made in USA
This is the best pizzelle iron I have ever had! Just follow the instructions very carefully and you will be able to make perfect pizzelles that don't stick. You will not be disappointed with this pizzelle maker! This pizzelle maker saves time too because it only takes 30 seconds to make two pizzelles. I will never buy a teflon pizzelle maker again!!! The palmer pizzelle iron is more expensive but is definately worth the extra money.

Palmer Pizzelle Maker - Made in USA