Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Songs of Summer Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Segway miniPro

on April 4, 2006
As a bodybuilder and BMX rider, I was plagued with some rather large and unsightly stretch marks and scars, which gave me a lot of experience in trying different things to remedy them. And I must say, as both a stretch mark and scar treatment, this is a strikingly inadequate product. For less than $9.99, you can get between 4 and 15 oz. of a Palmer's brand Cocoa Butter formula with better ingredients. While Vitamin E and Cocoa butter do help, they will do very little for a product you'll spend so much time rubbing in, and hold out so much hope for.

Your best bet, though more expensive, is to find a product with a "transport" mechanism that will bring the nutrients and moisturizers underneath the skin, where the bulk of the scar is. One example of this is liposomes, found in Body Shape Hydroderm.

And for those combating stretch marks, other very important ingredients are:

1) Collagen and elastin (found in Palmer's Stretch Mark Creams and many lotions for skin, both for under $9.99). Elastin, surprise surprise, lends to you skin being more elastic and resistant to new stretch marks, while collagen helps to "fill up" or restore the empty space left by the dermal tear that causes the mark.
2) Dimethicone (silicone), cocoa butter, jojoba, aloe, or any ingredient with "PEG" in it. These are effective moisturizers of the scar and stretch mark grade.
3) Vitamins A, C, and E. Vitamin C is the best hope among vitamins for restoring scars, but only when mixed with collagen, I would argue. Vitamin E (Tocopheryl Acetate), should slow any progressive scars or marks. Vitamin A is mostly preventative, so you may need it for your lotion, but not for your 2-minute rubbing sessions on scars (be VERY disciplined on these, by the way!).

I used Body Shape Hydroderm, which I think is discontinued, but I would recommend going with Strixaderm-MD 6oz, available on Amazon.com for about 1/3 of the cost of StriVectin-SD, if you really want the scar to go away and your budget will allow it.

Also, if you're using one of these restorative formulas, your best bet is to stack it with a collagen-infused lotion, butter, or rub. If you are looking for an all-over-the-body lotion to use in addition to a scar treatment, the best I've found is Gold Bond Ultimate Healing Skin Therapy Lotion (White bottle with gold trim). It can be found in most drug stores for around $15 for 14 oz. and has Vitamin's A, C, and E, as well as dimethicone, jojoba, aloe, collagen and elastin.

Lastly, if your scar is more than 6 months old, there may be some benefit to be had, but consider seriously whether you will want to burden the costs. A $60 Strixaderm-MD oz. tube lasts 6 months on 9 inches worth of scars or marks (You'll need to go between 3 to 6 months on pretty much any scar, and a full 6 months on pretty much any stretch mark, new or old). If you're dealing with major stretch marks, chances are you've got a more of that to go, so consider whether the stretch marks are worth the cost to you if you're dealing with old ones for which most cheaper cremes are relatively ineffective. Most of all, good luck, and I hope this review has helped!
on July 4, 2005
This product works well if one understands the purpose of putting vit E on a scar or healing scrape, etc. There is nothing that will "remove" a scar as the name says it all ... it's a scar. The point of putting vitamin E on a scab/scar is to promote healing and reduce the severity of a scar not get rid of it altogether. Children get lots of scars, but not all of them (especially on my little girl's legs) have to remain a darkened color and so very noticeable. Early application of this scar serum will greatly reduce healing time and overall residual scarring! However, getting vitamin E in a liquid form isn't easy unless you want to break open one of your vit E gel cap supplements and put it over the scar/scab and even then you don't get some of the other important ingredients like cocoa butter. Not a perfect product, but very useful.
on May 15, 2006
I had a cut-like split on the edge of my nostril that would not heal with numerous other products for over 9 months. I tried hydrocortione cream which usually works well on blemishes; I tried other agressive lotions, including ones with alpha-hydroxy and also Palmer's Cocoa Butter Cream with vitamin E; a doctor prescribed an antibacterial ointment. None of these worked. When I discovered Palmer's Cocoa Butter SCAR SERUM, it worked within a couple of weeks, completely healed the split back to totally normal. You need to be patient for whatever number of days that the skin still has a peel-able layer. Eventually it will completely smooth out. My experience reflects what "The Lil Scar that Could" says, that it works for healing and preventing a scar more so than getting rid of an existing scar. I believe it can work to improve existing scars, if not remove them, especially if one if persistant. This serum goes a LONG way on small cuts or blemishes that can create a scar if left untreated.
on January 20, 2010
This product works wonderfully. I had a nasty scar on my stomach and it went away in about a week with this stuff.

I will warn you...its thick and goopy, and smells pretty bad. You also have to apply it about 3-5 times a day (I did it 5). But in my opinion, that's a small price to pay for a scar. The bottle is really small and will probably only be enough for 1-2 small scars but thats also beside the point. This stuff works.

A friend of mine also used it to diminish stretch marks and it faded them, though they did not eras completely.
on April 8, 2012
I have nothing to compare this product to, however, I had a spot of skin cancer that was the size of a quarter, being treated on my face. I used this and the scarring is minimal. It is very sticky and gooey and I had to cover it to keep my hair from sticking in it. Small price to pay if it is responsible for my smooth scar.
on July 14, 2012
Have been using this product for several weeks following knee surgery. It really DOES seem to be minimizing the look of the scar as well as making the skin soft and healthy feeling. Although this is a thick, oily substance, it stays on the skin and I have yet to see any staining on my clothes or sheets.
on January 26, 2013
I used this product consistently and took pictures to make sure I would notice any difference. 6 weeks, 3 times a day and no difference...on top of that it felt pretty gross and smells funny, not strong but an odor I didn't enjoy.

What I did try and like was Clinque Even Better Clinical - while it didn't remove every dark spot, it ligthened all of them. They were noticeably lighter and some were so light I had to strain to see them.
on March 4, 2012
Being that the main ingredient is Vitamin E, i would say that the product did wonders for the texture of my skin, however I don't think it works well with the diminishing of scar tissue.
on November 8, 2012
It is the best thing I ever came across since 28 and now in early 30s. My skin was super dry and has winter issues all over face and body. Other commercial so called best and happening creams worked upto 20% in my case. This one cleared salicylic acid burn scars on my face with every day improvement little by little, kept skin moist, refilled burnt away collagen on the chin and made it supple again. Cleared winter eczema. In the first 3 months, i saw 30% improvement, in 1 year I saw my skin not back to the original but even better than before overall. People ask me what I do to my face, I tell them I have never done a facial yet in life, don't use wax for eyebrows that can damage skin, dont use acid peeling that I unfortunately tried only once. I use only scar serum that not only heals burn scars but develops a moist dewy and smooth skin. But, it is very sticky and glossy than oils, but it does wonders. I buy 2 every month although it's a lot and use it all. I have been doing this for 2 years now.
on February 4, 2011
Its A great product, i had a lot of scarring on my arms and i used this product and it went faded and went away quickly the only downside is you do have to put it on constantly for it to work, and it comes in a small bottle