Professional restaurant supplies Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Shop Now May4th

Package Quantity: 3|Change

on May 22, 2009
I have used the individual bags of Pamela's Amazing GF Bread mix for some time, but I recently purchased the 3-pack of 4-pound bags. I am very happy to report that the resulting bread is just as consistently wonderful as always. Many of my non-GF friends have tasted this loaf, and they are amazed at how good it is! I use the stand-mixer-and-oven-baking method (rather than a bread machine), as I often make round loaves or rolls from the mix. The bread is delicious, the preparation is easy, and now the cost is much more economical for me. Just so you know (and you can do the math for yourself to see which is the better purchase for your family), there is (almost) enough flour in each bulk bag for 4 loaves, as prepared according to the directions on the back of the bag. Remember that with this product, yeast will be needed to add to the mix, along with eggs, oil, and water. Using milk (rice, cow, soy) for all or part of the water will result in an even more tender and moist loaf.

I have two loaves in the oven right now. They smell fantastic!
99 comments|185 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on January 14, 2013
For the most part this is a wonderful bread mix. I have tried many different kinds and each gluten free bread mix has its own texture and flavor to be enjoyed. Let's face it, I'm never going to get it to what I once had with regular flour. What you must understand is that each mix may have a different flavor or texture because each mix uses a variety of different flours and levening agents. In Pamelas, she uses a sweeter sorghum blend. If you don't like sweet breads this is not for you. Some of the negative reviews complain that the bread doesn't get fluffy, it's to thick or dense, or it's too sweet. However, the description on the bag and her website says it makes an artisan loaf. Many artisan type breads will be denser and chewier. So don't expect a Wonderbread type texture. The first loaf I made sunk and I was about to give up, but it seems that each gluten free blend I have used has it's own little quirks about it so I looked up some tips.

TIPS: Here's what made this blend work. Add a teaspoon of Vinegar into the mix, it will boost the yeast and create a better rise. Also, make sure any cold ingredients are warmed up to room temperature. Let any eggs or milk sit out before making. It always helps to use filtered water. Also make sure you actually measure the temperature of the water before pouring it over the yeast. 100 degrees seems to work best. For some reason in humid conditions, it helps to cut the rise time. Don't overblend the mix either. Gluten free flours don't require a lot of kneading and in some cases no kneading at all. If your crust tends to get burned before it's done put foil over it. All these tips are for hand made bread. Gluten free bread mixes may work well in a bread machine, but make sure your bread machine has a gluten free setting on it. By the way, if you just can't seem get a good loaf out of it, it makes a killer pizza crust using a stand mixer. Just blend ingredients two minutes with whisk on medium, spread into cookie pan, let rise, bake, take out add ingredients, bake again, and your done. Real easy and really fricken good!
22 comments|101 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 24, 2009
I've tried a lot of gluten free bread mixes, but this one by far has the best taste and texture. It's versatile. I can use the same mix to make bagels as I do for pizza crust and loaves of bread. Going gluten free isn't so terrible, having this product.
on February 24, 2009
This is my favorite wheat-free bread mix. It bakes into a semi-dense, *very* tasty loaf with a toasty color. The crust is light and chewy! My wheat-eating friends and family love this bread even compared to the wheaty varieties out there.

It's a tad expensive and you have to get your own yeast for the 4-pound size. I bake a loaf in a bread machine once or twice a week with 10 minutes of kneading, 70 minutes of rising followed immediately by an hour of baking, and although the results vary a bit on humid or dry days, the fresh bread is always delicious.
on September 19, 2011
I've used a few different kinds of GF flour including Bob's Redmill and Gluten Free Pantry and other rice flours. This one is by far the best in terms of taste and texture for all the baking that I've done with it. I love that it has recipes on the back of the bag for all sorts of breads, bagels, and other baked goods. It even includes directions for use with breadmakers. It's so easy. And the results are tasty. The breads to turn out more dense than non-GF loaf bread from the store, but that's the case with most breadmaker breads. I love this flour - I I have it on the auto-ship option because my husband and I go through so much of it.
on August 11, 2009
This mix IS amazing. I was interested in lowering the calories a bit, so I substituted plain, non-fat yogurt in place of the oil and used the regular oven method. It worked perfectly. I like to use English Muffin rings and make 12 buns at a time. Each bun turns out to be about 120 calories. Perfect!
on June 17, 2009
This mix makes the best gluten free bread I have tried yet! There is no "icky gluten free aftertaste" like so many other products out there. I add a few squirts of honey, a hearty pinch of flax meal and make it in my bread machine every week for sandwiches. Let the bread cool completely before slicing so it doesn't fall apart and you will be in heaven
on February 3, 2009
I have used the Wheat Free Bread Mix and then found this in the larger packages. I purchased it despite the different ingredients list (which isn't correct on Amazon - go to Pamela's Website for the real one). It was very close to the Wheat Free version. I love having the bulk bags so that I can take as much as I need. I used the flour blend to make Apple Crisp this weekend and it was wonderful. It makes a great bread too. Another winner from Pamela's Products.
on January 3, 2011
When I first went gluten free I LOVED this mix. It's easy to put together, versitile (pizza crust, pie crust, bread etc) However it took me many many months to realize it was this mix that was causing my stomach to still hurt. Badly. I don't think it's the sorghum flour I'm leaning towards the chicory root maybe? My mom has the same reaction to this as I do.

If you are new to celiac, need somthing that will work with little effort than this is the mix for you (and deserves 5 stars). If however, you have a sensitive stomach then I think you should try another mix. I would definately suggest trying the small bag first and if you don't blow up like a balloon think about getting a larger amount!
88 comments|14 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on April 14, 2013
First experience was both easy and the bread was unbelievably good. Here's what I did:
Recipe:
I DID exactly (verbatim) what the back of the package says for bread machines and I used two eggs instead of the 1 + 3 whites. I did NOT follow the directions inside the Panasonic manual regarding the order/timing of adding ingredients to the bread maker. The eggs were allowed to warm to room temperature and the water was filtered and slightly warm.
Machine Settings:
I used the rapid bake cycle, XL size, Medium dark crust. I placed in the liquids and eggs (per Pamela's instructions) and then put the (active) yeast (7g) on top of the mix (NOT in the yeast holder of the machine.)I started the machine and scraped the sides of the bread machine to make sure ALL the flour was being mixed, closed the lid and waited for the results.

About 1 hour and 50 minutes later, the bread was ready, and I'll tell you that the consistency was perfect (let it cool on a rack for about 10 minutes first before you start cutting), the taste was ever so slightly sweet, and all my doubts about having a "brick" come out were vanquished. If you want great gluten-free bread, I can highly recommend the combination of this product and the SD-YD250 bread maker.